Librarians have become the new go-to experts for help with all those e-readers that arrived for Christmas.
So the Springfield-Greene County Library District is responding with a series of how-to classes on Jan. 25-31.
Librarians are accustomed to helping patrons with new technology. Years ago they adapted to the Internet and taught people how to use it, and they continue to teach computer skills classes at the Edge Community Technology Center.
Library staff will be available during the sessions to explain:
• which e-readers are compatible with the OverDrive software on the library’s website (Amazon’s Kindle is not compatible),
• how to download the OverDrive software for free (with a valid library card) onto your laptop, e-reader or mobile device,
• how to download free e-books, e-audiobooks and e-videos from the library’s collection onto your device,
• and other troubleshooting tips.
Attendees may bring their e-reader, laptop or other mobile device and USB cord for hands-on help.
The class schedule is:
• 6:30 p.m. Jan. 25 at the Library Center, 4653 S. Campbell Ave.
• 2 p.m. Jan. 26 at the Library Center
• 11 a.m. Jan. 28 at the Republic Branch Library, 921 N. Lindsey Ave., Republic
• 1:30 p.m. Jan. 31 at the Brentwood Branch Library, 2214 Brentwood Blvd.
• 6:30 p.m. Jan. 31 at the Brentwood Branch Library
Demand for e-books is only expected to grow, according to “Library Journal,” a magazine for library professionals. It reported that OverDrive, the leading distributor of e-books to public libraries, reported that its e-book checkouts at libraries rose 200 percent in 2010.
The article also quoted Gartner Inc., a Connecticut-based digital research firm, saying e-reader sales are expected to total 6.6 million units in 2010, up 79.8 percent form 2009 sales of 3.6 million units. And in 2011, worldwide e-reader sales are projected to surpass 11 million units, a 68.3 percent increase from 2010.
Patrons can also take an online tutorial to learn how to download e-books from the library. Go to thelibrary.org and click on Download Zone.
Find this article at