The public is invited to tour the Springfield-Greene County Library District’s first new bookmobile in 20 years – The Mobile Library – at a launch party at noon, July 6, on the south parking lot of the Library Center, 4653 S. Campbell Ave.
The Mobile Library arrived June 8 and began its regular weekly stops on June 13 to 26 Springfield-area neighborhoods and housing developments, Walnut Grove and Turners Station. It serves more than 18,000 customers annually. It was funded with a $225,000 grant from the Friends of the Library, and replaces the 20-year-old bookmobile that had traveled 178,074 miles.
In addition to the Friends grant, Mobile Library sponsors include TelComm Credit Union, St. John’s Health System, Signs Now and the Library Foundation.
The “library on wheels” can hold up to about 3,000 items including books, DVDs, music CDs and audiobooks for all ages.
The district’s bookmobile service has remained popular through the years, delivering entertainment and enrichment to library card holders who can’t easily get to a traditional library branch. Besides the materials on board, customers can also request any of the materials available through the library district branches.
The Mobile Library schedule is available online at thelibrary.org/mobilelibrary.
Some facts about the new Mobile Library:
• about 32 feet long
• mounted TV screen displays other library services and upcoming programs
• built-in awning for special events
• serves about 18,000 customers annually during 1,313 stops
• open to the public more than 760 hours annually
• Customers checked out an average of 6,921 items per month (83,056 items total) in fiscal year 2009-2010.
• constructed by Farber Specialty Vehicles, Columbus, Ohio
• cost about $225,000 versus the 1991 model at $80,655
• Sponsorship opportunities are available for three- and five-year commitments for logo placement on the vehicle. Sponsorships are used to help fund the Mobile Library’s ongoing operations and expenses. For details call the Library Foundation at 417-616-0586.
For more information about the Mobile Library schedule or details, call 417-883-5366, ext. 2. Follow us at www.facebook.com/OutreachServices.
Find this article at