Last House Razed
Progress Razes an Ancient Home
Springfield News & Leader, June 26, 1938.
"One of last remaining houses in business district torn down.
"One of the last of the old houses still remaining in the downtown business district is about to be torn down—an old, two-story frame house, long occupied as a rooming house, 'on College street, 60 feet east of Main street and on south side of college' according to the official description. The lot has been leased by the Herrick Motor Company and the house will be advertised for wrecking probably in about two weeks.
"Since 1904 the property has belonged to the late Perry Buchanan, who was the oldest Elk in the world, and to his heirs, a son in Kansas City, and a daughter, Mrs. Josephine Brockmeyer, here [Springfield] and has been a rental property. The Buchanan family never lived in it.
"It appears from the abstract that the site must have been a part of the homestead of one Gabriel N. Shelton, considerably more that 100 years ago. In May 1835 he sold his preemption right for $850.
"The property came into possession of William Fulbright and passed through various hands during the course of years. It was formerly owned, among others, by George W. Nonemacher.
"Herrick will add it to their used car lot to make one of the biggest ones in this section."
There is a G. N. Shelton mentioned in History of Greene County who owned a tanyard near the Boonville Street bridge.
Find this article at