All Library branches will be closed and the Mobile Library will not make its regularly scheduled stops on Monday, May 29, for Memorial Day.

The Library Center and Schweitzer Brentwood branch libraries will not have phone service Monday, May 29-Tuesday, May 30, due to maintenance. Please call (417) 865-1340 for assistance.

array
1
struct
ICON_URL /images/research/topics/icon_local.jpg
LABEL_ID 62
LABEL_NAME Local History
LABEL_URL /lochist/

Related Resources

struct
ARTICLE
array
1
struct
ARTICLE_DATE November, 29 2011 12:28:00
ARTICLE_DATE_STR 20111129
ARTICLE_DESCRIPTION <img title=" " hspace="4" alt=" " vspace="1" align="left" width="59" height="75" src="/lochist/userfiles/images/resized/cityhouse_12123_lg[1]_59x75.gif" />The last of the old houses in the Springfield business district, the area around the square, was torn down in 1938 to add a larger lot to the Herrick Motor Company.&nbsp; It was located on the south side of College Street and was 60 feet east of Main Street.
ARTICLE_ID 1649
ARTICLE_STATUS published
ARTICLE_TEXT <p><img title=" " hspace="4" alt=" " vspace="1" align="left" width="178" height="225" src="/lochist/userfiles/images/resized/cityhouse_12123_lg[1]_178x225.gif" /><b>Progress Razes an Ancient Home</b> <br /> Springfield News &amp; Leader, June 26,&nbsp;1938.<br /> <br /> &quot;One of last remaining houses in business district torn down.</p> <p>&quot;One of the last of the old houses still remaining in the downtown business district is about to be torn down&mdash;an old, two-story frame house, long occupied as a rooming house, 'on College street, 60 feet east of Main street and on south side of college' according to the official description.&nbsp; The lot has been leased by the Herrick Motor Company and the house will be advertised for wrecking probably in about two weeks.</p> <p>&quot;Since 1904 the property has belonged to the late Perry Buchanan, who was the oldest <a href="http://www.elks.org/">Elk</a> in the world, and to his heirs, a son in Kansas City, and a daughter, Mrs. Josephine Brockmeyer, here [Springfield] and has been a rental property.&nbsp; The Buchanan family never lived in it.</p> <p>&quot;It appears from the abstract that the site must have been a part of the homestead of one Gabriel N. Shelton, considerably more that 100 years ago.&nbsp; In May 1835 he sold his preemption right for $850.<br /> &nbsp; <br /> &quot;The property came into possession of <a href="http://thelibrary.org/lochist/history/paspres/fulbrigw.html">William Fulbright</a> and passed through various hands during the course of years.&nbsp; It was formerly owned, among others, by George W. Nonemacher.</p> <p>&quot;Herrick will add it to their used car lot to make one of the biggest ones in this section.&quot;&nbsp;<br /> &nbsp;</p> <hr /> <p>There is a G. N. Shelton mentioned in <a href="http://thelibrary.org/lochist/history/holcombe/grch1pt2.html">History of Greene County</a> who owned a <a href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tanyard">tanyard</a> near the Boonville Street bridge.&nbsp;</p>
ARTICLE_TITLE Last House Razed
ARTICLE_TYPE_ID 1
ARTICLE_TYPE_NAME Article
ARTICLE_YEAR_MONTH_STR 201111
NEW_USERID 15
PAGENAME article.cfm
USERFNAME Renee
USERID 17
USERNAME undefined
USER_FNAME Renee
USER_LOGIN reneeg
COMMENTS
array [empty]
LABELS
array
1
struct
ARTICLE_ID 1649
GROUPDIR lochist
GROUP_ID 62
GROUP_NAME Local History
ICON_URL /images/research/topics/icon_local.jpg
LABEL_ID 62
LABEL_NAME Local History
LABEL_URL /lochist/
LINKS
array [empty]
Local History

Last House Razed

 Progress Razes an Ancient Home
Springfield News & Leader, June 26, 1938.

"One of last remaining houses in business district torn down.

"One of the last of the old houses still remaining in the downtown business district is about to be torn down—an old, two-story frame house, long occupied as a rooming house, 'on College street, 60 feet east of Main street and on south side of college' according to the official description.  The lot has been leased by the Herrick Motor Company and the house will be advertised for wrecking probably in about two weeks.

"Since 1904 the property has belonged to the late Perry Buchanan, who was the oldest Elk in the world, and to his heirs, a son in Kansas City, and a daughter, Mrs. Josephine Brockmeyer, here [Springfield] and has been a rental property.  The Buchanan family never lived in it.

"It appears from the abstract that the site must have been a part of the homestead of one Gabriel N. Shelton, considerably more that 100 years ago.  In May 1835 he sold his preemption right for $850.
 
"The property came into possession of William Fulbright and passed through various hands during the course of years.  It was formerly owned, among others, by George W. Nonemacher.

"Herrick will add it to their used car lot to make one of the biggest ones in this section." 
 


There is a G. N. Shelton mentioned in History of Greene County who owned a tanyard near the Boonville Street bridge. 


Find this article at

Free wi-fi

Friends of the library

The Library Foundation

Bookmark and Share

Sign up for the newsletter

© Springfield-Greene County Library District