All Library branches will be closed and the Mobile Library will not make its regularly scheduled stops on Monday, May 29, for Memorial Day.

The Library Center and Schweitzer Brentwood branch libraries will not have phone service Monday, May 29-Tuesday, May 30, due to maintenance. Please call (417) 865-1340 for assistance.

array
1
struct
ICON_URL /images/research/topics/icon_local.jpg
LABEL_ID 62
LABEL_NAME Local History
LABEL_URL /lochist/

Related Resources

struct
ARTICLE
array
1
struct
ARTICLE_DATE April, 24 2012 14:15:00
ARTICLE_DATE_STR 20120424
ARTICLE_DESCRIPTION <img title=" " hspace="4" alt=" " vspace="1" align="left" width="75" height="44" src="/lochist/userfiles/images/resized/Smithbuilding_edited-3_75x44.jpg" />Smith-Glynn-Calloway and Smith Clinic advertised the opening of their new location in 1926.
ARTICLE_ID 1706
ARTICLE_STATUS published
ARTICLE_TEXT <p><b>Springfield Leader, April 1, 1926, page 4.</b></p> <p><a href="/lochist/userfiles/images/resized/Smithbuilding_edited-3_201x119.jpg"><img title=" " hspace="4" alt=" " vspace="1" align="right" width="201" height="119" src="/lochist/userfiles/images/resized/Smithbuilding_edited-3_201x119.jpg" /></a>&quot;The opening of the Smith Building tomorrow at 214 North Jefferson Avenue, adds another attractive building to Springfield's rapidly growing list of modern business structures.&nbsp; This building which has been entirely remodeled inside and out is probably one of the most complete and elaborate office buildings designed especially for doctors offices, to be found in this part of the state.&nbsp; The first floor which is already occupied by the King Sign Company, the Barrett-Firestone Cafe and the Jefferson Pharmacy, also contains the lobby with stairway and elevator to the second floor.</p> <p>&quot;The entire second floor is devoted to the Smith-Glynn-Calloway and Smith Clinic and associated physicians and specialists in medical and dental work.&nbsp; The private offices surround the west, south and east sides of this floor with the greater part of the north side devoted to operating rooms, X-ray laboratories and the varous departments connected with the clinical work of these [associated] surgeons and physicians.</p> <p>&quot;The two large waiting and restrooms which occupy the center of the building are beautifully furnished in mahogany colonial patterns and lighted by means of electrical and overhead light.&nbsp; The floors throughout are covered with heavy linoleum and rugs and the decorations handled with most pleasing effects.</p> <p>&quot;Much of the attractiveness of the Smith building is due to the work of the following firms: James Thompson, general contractor; W.J. Rule, heating and plumbing; Turner Department Store, furnishings; Harry Cooper, plumbing supplies; Welhener Company, awnings; Springfield Planing Mill, mill work; Electrical Equipment Co., lighting fixtures; Doris Electrical Co., electric wiring; Kelly Coal and Material Co., stucco and building material; Gardner Office Supply Co., office equipment.&quot;</p> <p><b>Springfield Leader, April 4, 1926 page 7</b>.</p> <p>Clinic has moved to new building</p> <p>&quot;Removal of the Smith-Glynn-Smith clinic, which has for some time occupied office space in the Holland Building, to their newly completed building on North Jefferson Avenue, was completed last night.&nbsp; The structure, which represents an expenditure of $50, 000, was recently purchased by the clinic and has undergone complete renovation and remodeling for an office building.&nbsp; It is thoroughly modern in equipment and arrangements.</p> <p><a href="/lochist/userfiles/images/originals/SmithGlynn.jpg"><img title=" " hspace="4" alt=" " vspace="4" align="left" width="177" height="225" src="/lochist/userfiles/images/resized/SmithGlynn_178x225.jpg" /></a>&quot;The exterior of the building has been stuccoed and is of Spanish architecture, while the interior has been finished according to special designs of the clinic members.&nbsp; There are numerous laboratories and office suites included in the building.</p> <p>&quot;The clinic has just been added to by Dr. Guy H. Calloway, who has just returned from a long stay in Boston, where he has been taking special courses in medical work.&nbsp; Other members of the clinic are Dr. Wilbur Smith, Dr. Robert Glynn and Dr. Wallis Smith.</p> <p>&quot;A number of other physicians, surgeons and dentists have also engaged office space in the new structure, these including Dr. Souter Smith, Dr. W.P. Patterson, Dr. W.T. Avery, Dr. P.A. King, Dr. W.E. Handley, who have moved in the new building and others who will occupy space there soon.&quot;</p> <hr /> <p>The photograph of the building is from the newspaper article.&nbsp; The doctor's photos are from <a href="http://coolcat.org/record=b1180091~S1">Greene County Medical Society Bulletin</a>, December 1985, page 7.&nbsp; According to this article, between 1922-1924 the&nbsp;clinic was located in the Holland Building on the square.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was at the St. Louis and Jefferson location between 1924 and 1936 and then moved back to the Holland building until 1955.&nbsp; In 1955 the clinic moved to 1211 South Glenstone.&nbsp; The grand opening&nbsp;of the currant location&nbsp;of the clinic, 3231&nbsp;South National, was covered&nbsp;in a Springfield News-Leader article in 1985.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
ARTICLE_TITLE Smith-Glynn-Calloway and Smith Clinic
ARTICLE_TYPE_ID 1
ARTICLE_TYPE_NAME Article
ARTICLE_YEAR_MONTH_STR 201204
NEW_USERID 15
PAGENAME article.cfm
USERFNAME Renee
USERID 17
USERNAME undefined
USER_FNAME Renee
USER_LOGIN reneeg
COMMENTS
array [empty]
LABELS
array
1
struct
ARTICLE_ID 1706
GROUPDIR lochist
GROUP_ID 62
GROUP_NAME Local History
ICON_URL /images/research/topics/icon_local.jpg
LABEL_ID 62
LABEL_NAME Local History
LABEL_URL /lochist/
LINKS
array [empty]
Local History

Smith-Glynn-Calloway and Smith Clinic

Springfield Leader, April 1, 1926, page 4.

 "The opening of the Smith Building tomorrow at 214 North Jefferson Avenue, adds another attractive building to Springfield's rapidly growing list of modern business structures.  This building which has been entirely remodeled inside and out is probably one of the most complete and elaborate office buildings designed especially for doctors offices, to be found in this part of the state.  The first floor which is already occupied by the King Sign Company, the Barrett-Firestone Cafe and the Jefferson Pharmacy, also contains the lobby with stairway and elevator to the second floor.

"The entire second floor is devoted to the Smith-Glynn-Calloway and Smith Clinic and associated physicians and specialists in medical and dental work.  The private offices surround the west, south and east sides of this floor with the greater part of the north side devoted to operating rooms, X-ray laboratories and the varous departments connected with the clinical work of these [associated] surgeons and physicians.

"The two large waiting and restrooms which occupy the center of the building are beautifully furnished in mahogany colonial patterns and lighted by means of electrical and overhead light.  The floors throughout are covered with heavy linoleum and rugs and the decorations handled with most pleasing effects.

"Much of the attractiveness of the Smith building is due to the work of the following firms: James Thompson, general contractor; W.J. Rule, heating and plumbing; Turner Department Store, furnishings; Harry Cooper, plumbing supplies; Welhener Company, awnings; Springfield Planing Mill, mill work; Electrical Equipment Co., lighting fixtures; Doris Electrical Co., electric wiring; Kelly Coal and Material Co., stucco and building material; Gardner Office Supply Co., office equipment."

Springfield Leader, April 4, 1926 page 7.

Clinic has moved to new building

"Removal of the Smith-Glynn-Smith clinic, which has for some time occupied office space in the Holland Building, to their newly completed building on North Jefferson Avenue, was completed last night.  The structure, which represents an expenditure of $50, 000, was recently purchased by the clinic and has undergone complete renovation and remodeling for an office building.  It is thoroughly modern in equipment and arrangements.

 "The exterior of the building has been stuccoed and is of Spanish architecture, while the interior has been finished according to special designs of the clinic members.  There are numerous laboratories and office suites included in the building.

"The clinic has just been added to by Dr. Guy H. Calloway, who has just returned from a long stay in Boston, where he has been taking special courses in medical work.  Other members of the clinic are Dr. Wilbur Smith, Dr. Robert Glynn and Dr. Wallis Smith.

"A number of other physicians, surgeons and dentists have also engaged office space in the new structure, these including Dr. Souter Smith, Dr. W.P. Patterson, Dr. W.T. Avery, Dr. P.A. King, Dr. W.E. Handley, who have moved in the new building and others who will occupy space there soon."


The photograph of the building is from the newspaper article.  The doctor's photos are from Greene County Medical Society Bulletin, December 1985, page 7.  According to this article, between 1922-1924 the clinic was located in the Holland Building on the square.  It was at the St. Louis and Jefferson location between 1924 and 1936 and then moved back to the Holland building until 1955.  In 1955 the clinic moved to 1211 South Glenstone.  The grand opening of the currant location of the clinic, 3231 South National, was covered in a Springfield News-Leader article in 1985.   


Find this article at

Free wi-fi

Friends of the library

The Library Foundation

Bookmark and Share

Sign up for the newsletter

© Springfield-Greene County Library District