Education Connections for Young People
Candidates look for ways to keep the young voter engaged with them through slogans, rallies, and fundraisers with celebrities. These sources for information are geared towards young and future voters and how they can play a more active role in the election process.
- MTV’s My Fantasy Election allows players to select a candidate who earns points in the real world while you interact with them like a fantasy sports league.
- Rand McNally’s Play the Election is a way for young people to learn how the election process works, including the electoral college. There are games and lessons that could be used in grades 7-12.
- Youth Leadership Initiative, hosted at the University of Virgina, allows for young people to go through a simulation for the legislature as well as host mock elections.
- Decision 2012, hosted by The Newseum, is an interactive digital classroom complete with videos of speeches, lessons, and realtime polling results. Access to some of the resources does require free sign up.
- If I Were President contest sponsored by Pearson Education allows young people to voice their ideas and perspectives abou the country. Classes work together to submit an essay to the contest by OCtober 18. One grand prize will be awarded on November 16.
Find this article at