A crew of FERA workmen started remodeling the old Lincoln school building at Washington Avenue and Central Street this morning for use as a community center for women’s work projects. The building was leased by Associated Charities from its owner, James C. Fairbanks, for $60 a month.
Note: The old Lincoln School was built in 1884. The 1910 Sanborn Map shows the school on the southeast corner of Washington and Center streets. Center street was later renamed Central Street. The new Lincoln School, now part of Ozarks Technical College, was dedicated in 1931. It was suggested by the Springfield USO committee that it be used as barracks for guest soldiers in 1941. It was used as a warehouse for a time and was later torn down after WWII.
Find this article at