Library Gifts Give Back
If you’re a holiday shopper who likes to give gifts that give back, the Springfield-Greene County Library District has some ideas for you.
The Dad-who-has-everything, the new baby, a favorite teacher or best friend – all would enjoy being remembered through these gifts that promise repeat benefits through the year.
- You can purchase an out-of-county resident card for a friend or family who lives outside of Greene County but would enjoy the library privileges afforded Greene County residents: the ability to borrow books, CDs, DVDs and other materials from any branch and bookmobile; use of online databases (thelibrary.org) and downloadable books, free use of library computers, and other services.
Non- residents are welcome without cards at library programs like the popular children’s “Storytimes,” but frequent visitors and those who work in Greene County might enjoy greater access to library collections and services.
The $50 card entitles a family in the same household access to all library services for one year. A gift card is issued stating that the recipient’s out-of-county resident fee has been paid courtesy of the gift giver. Greene County residents may purchase the gift card at the checkout desk of any branch library.
- Through the Library Foundation’s new “Give the Gift of Books” campaign, you can honor a teacher, friend or family member by donating to a book fund that allows the library district to replenish its collections. The recipient will get a special holiday acknowledgment from the library district. For details, ask a librarian at any branch checkout desk – except the Library Center, which continues its “$10 for 10 Years” campaign.
- Honor a special person, or celebrate the memory of a loved one, with a gift to the Library Center’s “$10 for 10 Years” campaign marking its 10-year anniversary.
Donations may be unrestricted or directed to upgrade the children’s Story Garden or meeting rooms. Recipients or the family of those memorialized will receive an acknowledgment from the library district. Campaign envelopes are available at the Library Center, or call Library Foundation Director Michelle Creed, 616-0586.
- Honor or memorialize a special person with a gift to the Library Foundation. You may recognize that person in a library bookplate to be placed in a book genre that would be meaningful. The Library Foundation will send an acknowledgment card to the honoree or family.
- Give a gift certificate to the Between Friends gift shops at the Library Station and Library Center. Or drop by to select a gift. Profits from shop sales benefit the libraries.
Kathleen O’Dell is community relations director of the Springfield-Greene County Library District. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Library card required for use outside the Library
Find this article at