Glimpses into St. John's
From Bias magazine, July 15, 1952.
"This week Bias presents an interesting preview of the massive, colorful new St. John's hospital, which is nearing completion and will be dedicated Sept. 24. Our cover [left] is a tree-framed view of a part of the front of the building, including the gleaming main entrance surmounted by a tall cross. A portion of the sundecks at the top of the seven-story structure are visible.
"On these pages are some glimpses of the interior and (at right) the amazing view from one of the sun decks looking north. Across the sea of trees Springfield's downtown skyline is just visible, including the tops of the Medical Arts building, Heer's, the Landers building, and the Woodruff building. At extreme right, the round roof of SMS field house shows.
"The high, arched room at right will be the hospital's chapel, a vast, two-story-high room on the sixth and seventh floors, where convent rooms for the Sisters of Mercy, who will run the hospital, are also located.
"[These] pictures show (right) a general view of the main lobby, with workmen polishing the floor;
(left) A closer view of a corner of the lobby, showing the beautiful marble walls;
and (right) a part of the soda fountain and snack bar, where floor-polishing was also going on."
See also History of St. John's Hospital by Sister Michaeline McAuliffe. It is in the rare book cabinet in the Local History and Genealogy department at the Library Center.
Find this article at