Have an extra blanket or coat to help a family ward off the cold this winter?
All Springfield-Greene County Library branches and several area businesses have partnered with the Rotary Club of Springfield on "Winter Warm Up," a blanket and coat drive through Jan. 31.
Many families in our communities lack even the most basic essentials for keeping warm during these frigid months. What’s more, there are growing numbers of homeless in our midst, including families with young children, who are braving the cold on the streets or seeking refuge in shelters.
The goal is to collect children's and adults' new or clean, gently used coats, hats, gloves, scarves and blankets. Members of Rotary Club of Springfield, the “downtown club,” will redistribute all of the items them through Victory Mission, Salvation Army, the Kitchen Inc. and the Underprivileged Children’s Fund/PTA Clothing Bank.
Area residents are encouraged to drop off suitable items in the designated boxes at any of these Springfield-Greene County Library branches:
• The Library Center, 4653 S. Campbell Ave.; Library Station, 2535 N. Kansas Expressway; Brentwood, 2214 Brentwood Blvd.; Midtown Carnegie, 397 E. Central St.; Park Central, 128 Park Central Square; Ash Grove, 101 E. Main St.; Fair Grove, 81 S. Orchard Ave; Strafford, 101 S. State Highway 125;Willard, 304 E. Jackson St.; and Republic, 921 N. Lindsey Ave.
Or at any of these area businesses:
• Maschino's, 1715 S. Campbell Ave.
• Ozark Village Inn, 850 N. 17th St., Ozark
• Village Inn, 4222 S. Campbell Ave.
• Village Inn, 2036 S. Glenstone Ave.
• Applebee's Restaurant, 1855 E. Primrose St.
• Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar, 2430 N. Glenstone Ave.
For information call Kathleen O’Dell, library district community relations director, at 616-0564.
Find this article at