All Library branches will be closed on Saturday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day.

 

Articles Submitted By Renee

Local History 

Mining along the James River

 Owners of mining concerns along the James River and Pearson Creek were still waiting for their "big strike" as described in this 1891 newspaper article. Some of the named mines were the Gumbo and the Kodack [sic] both on McFarland land and also the John E. Phelps and Tom Kershner diggings.There were also mines in Boone Township.  More...
Local History 

Taneycomo Flood 1927

 A November 1927 newspaper article reported that repairs to Powersite Dam, from the previous April's flooding, would cost $250,000. Postcards of the dam area are included with this article.  More...
Local History 

The Cotton Mill

 A newspaper reporter gave a firsthand account of the workings of the Cotton Mill once located in the Jordan Valley. The author took a tour of the facility in 1876 and wrote his impressions, some statistics and a flowery description of the inner workings of the mill.  More...
Local History 

Street view of Campbell 1945

 A photograph of Campbell Street in 1945. Parking meters on the west side of the street had been removed to increase traffic flow. Several businesses can be seen in the newspaper photo.
  More...
Local History 

Maple Park Cemetery

 In 1876, Maple Park Cemetery association began selling shares for fifty dollars to purchase land for a new cemetery. The associations proposed purchasing the fair grounds which were owned by the Agricultural Association. The article’s author was disappointed to see the fair grounds sold, but delighted to have a cemetery closer to town.  More...
JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Free wi-fi

Friends of the library

The Library Foundation

Bookmark and Share

Sign up for the newsletter

© Springfield-Greene County Library District