Computer Technician I
POSITION: Computer Technician I
LOCATION: Information Technology Department - The Library Center, 4653 Campbell Ave., Springfield, MO
DUTIES: See attached job description for essential duties and qualifications.
SALARY: $10.12 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
This is a FULL TIME position, approximately 40 hours per week and eligible for benefit plans. Candidates must be available to work any hours the library is open. As a condition of employment, work schedules may change as necessary to best provide user services and to meet the Library’s responsibility to the citizens of Greene County.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Minimum of 60 hours of college or related computer experience. To be considered for this position, transcripts must accompany your application.
Education and experience shall be evaluated with regard to recency and quality as well as quantity. Based on the number and quality of applicants, applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond the minimum stated herein.
Current library employees desiring consideration must:
- have received a satisfactory performance rating on their last performance evaluation
- currently be performing their duties at a satisfactory level
- submit a cover letter to email@example.com and provide transcripts (if post-secondary education is required for the position) or confirm that transcripts are on file with the HR Office prior to the posted closing date
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment
Applications may be found online at http://thelibrary.org/libjob/libjobs.cfm or obtained at any Springfield-Greene County Library District branch location
Submit completed application and transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to
417-889-6213, or drop off at any Springfield-Greene County Library District branch location
Individuals with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act prior to testing or appointment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Position: Computer Technician I
Classification: Library Assistant III
Salary Track: F
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an
integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to
embrace the following values:
- Empowerment - To give someone the means or ability to do something.
- Respect - To treat all people with dignity.
- Excellence - To be the best in everything we do.
- Innovation - To start or provide something new.
- Confidence - To be certain of trustworthiness.
- Synergy - To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually.
- Install, maintain, configure, and upgrade computer software; modifying specific applications for use in individual departments
- Install, configure, and assemble computers, monitors, printers, scanners and related hardware; using specific hardware configurations
- Maintain network infrastructure; pulling cables and terminating to patch panels, wall ports, etc.
- Troubleshoot problems with computer systems both software and hardware; working closely with staff to make repairs and provide technical assistance as necessary; maintain consistent computer uptime and appropriate response time to meet staff needs
- Answer staff questions in person, on the phone, or by email concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including on-line catalog, desktop applications, internet use, email, printing, operating systems, wireless access and phone systems
- Maintain detailed record of all communication transactions, problems, remedial action taken, and installation activities using the on-line repairs log
- Make repairs and complete installation of hardware/software; traveling to branches as appropriate for emergencies
- Receiving equipment and entering information into our inventory system. Producing inventory reports as required
- Keep a regular on-call schedule, usually two weeks per month
- Maintain a professional, constructive, and cooperative attitude with all personnel; since employees in this position work with other staff and also provide support to the general public, computer technicians must also be timely in completing tasks and coming to work
- Makes hardware and software acquisition recommendations; assessing staff needs and providing justification for equipment and services
- Assist in the purchasing of hardware, software, and equipment as necessary; retain records and fill out the appropriate paperwork for the business office on a monthly basis
- Assist in the processing of all new and existing items into inventory, keeping track of the location and condition of all items; make sure information is entered into the inventory database
- Work with vendors to coordinate warranty returns and repairs
- Do routine server maintenance, including the daily back-up of the on-line catalog
- Maintains a current knowledge of hardware, software and network technology
- Provides support for all library applications
- Take minutes of Tech support meetings, ensuring follow up on assigned items
- Other projects as assigned by the Manager of Information Services
- Interpret and implement the Library’s General Conduct Policy
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, the incumbent must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. The incumbent must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others: The Computer Technician I’s job is interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. Therefore, it is essential that individual who works in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to effectively listen to and respond to staff inquiries
- Computer and keyboard skills
- Network troubleshooting skill
- Basic network cabling knowledge
- Licensed Driver
- Minimum of 60 hours of college or related computer experience
- Experience with installing, updating and using Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008 Server, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Apple OS, Apple IOS, Microsoft Office products, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome. Internet Plugins - Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Experience with PC and printer troubleshooting
- Work closely with other branch and department personnel
- Routine telephone and email contact with other departments and branches
- Supervised by Lead Information Technician
- Reports to Manger of Information Technology Department
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling crawling, climbing ladders and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height
- Ability to use a lift at heights up to 25 feet, following all safety rules
- Displays good coordination and mobility
- Routine lifting of materials/equipment weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library environment
- Must pass a security background check
- Must have a good motor vehicle driving record
- Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance
Education and experience will be evaluated with regard
to quantity, recency and quality.
To receive credit for college courses or degrees, transcripts
must accompany your application.
Applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond
the stated minimums on the job posting.
Those with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations
in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act
before testing or appointment. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment.
Federal law requires that all employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees (including U.S. citizens). The Library uses the E-Verify system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information, view the E-Verify poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf). For information about the right to work, see the right to work poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf).
Find more information about applying for this
job, or download an Application
for Employment (pdf).