A part-time library assistant position is available at the Republic Branch Library and will be posted until the application deadline of July 2. This position is scheduled for approximately 20-24 hours per week and pays $9.45 per hour. This position requires 60 hours college credit - to receive credit for any college courses or degrees, transcripts must accompany your application.
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
Empowerment -- To give someone the means or ability to do something.
Respect -- To treat all people with dignity.
Excellence -- To be the best in everything we do.
Innovation -- To start or provide something new.
Confidence -- To be certain of trustworthiness.
Synergy -- To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually.
- Routinely check-in, check-out and renew library materials
- Perform circulation duties
- Register patrons for library cards, voter registration and other library functions
- Assist patrons with directional information
- Collect overdue fines, book deposits and other fees, makes change, and issues receipts
- Routine computer searches, data entry
- Assist patrons with location of library materials and information
- Assist and instruct patrons in the operation of patron access computer (PAC), copy machines, printers, and fax machines
- Answer telephone and direct calls
- Respond to regular telephone inquiries
- Routine filing and shelving
- May prepare daily deposit of monies collected by branch
- Perform all duties in a pleasant, constructive and cooperative manner
- Perform circulation duties
- May act as Person In Charge (PIC) in absence of branch manager
- Assist with programs at the branch as needed
- Perform essential functions during high patron volume
- Assist with other duties as assigned
- Interpret and implement the Library's General Conduct Policy
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, Library Assistants must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. A Library Assistant must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others and the general public: Library Assistant jobs are interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. Library Assistants also have a great degree of direct contact with Library patrons. Therefore, it is essential that individuals who work in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant and constructive manner with others.
- A minimum of 60 college hours required.
- One year public service experience required.
- Library experience is preferred.
- Ability to interact pleasantly, constructively, and cooperatively with library patrons and staff.
- Excellent communications skills, oral and written.
- Ability to effectively listen to and respond to patron inquiries.
- Ability to perform essential job functions during times of high public usage.
- Basic knowledge of circulation and library functions.
- Computer and keyboard skills, 35 wpm.
- Regular, daily public contact.
- Works closely with other department personnel.
- Routine telephone contact with other departments and branches.
- Occasional work with other branch departments.
- Supervised by Branch Manager
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height.
- May stand for long periods of time.
- Displays good coordination and mobility.
- Routine lifting of library materials weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Uninterrupted standing and walking for lengthy periods.
- Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library environment.
- Must pass a security background check.
Education and experience will be evaluated with regard
to quantity, recency and quality.
To receive credit for college courses or degrees, transcripts
must accompany your application.
Applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond
the stated minimums on the job posting.
Those with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations
in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act
before testing or appointment. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment.
Federal law requires that all employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees (including U.S. citizens). The Library uses the E-Verify system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information, view the E-Verify poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf). For information about the right to work, see the right to work poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf).
Find more information about applying for this
job, or download an Application
for Employment (pdf).