A fulltime maintenance worker position is available in the Buildings and Grounds Department located at the Library Center and will be posted until filled. The job is scheduled for approximately 40 hours per week and pays $10.12 per hour plus benefits.
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
- Empowerment - To give someone the means or ability to do something.
- Respect - To treat all people with dignity.
- Excellence - To be the best in everything we do.
- Innovation - To start or provide something new.
- Confidence - To be certain of trustworthiness.
- Synergy - To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually.
- Perform routine electrical, HVAC, plumbing repairs and maintenance.
- Perform light maintenance on library vehicles and other maintenance machinery.
- Replace light bulbs and ballast.
- Assists with interior and exterior painting.
- Assists with snow removal and grounds keeping at library branches.
- Assist with moving furniture, equipment and supplies as needed.
- Communicate and report project progress effectively through verbal, written, and computer software.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid "Class E" driver's license, safe driving record.
- 3 yrs. work related experience or equivalent education.
- Ability to diagnose and install electrical circuits.
- Ability to diagnose problem and maintenance of HVAC systems.
- Ability to diagnose and repair building mechanical systems.
- Ability to operate power tools, mowers, and other maintenance machinery.
- Basic knowledge of care and maintenance of mowers, yard care equipment, and vehicles
- Basic carpentry skills.
- Expertise in drywall and minor renovation.
- Basic computer skills in email, Word, Excel and database maintenance recording.
- Able to read building drawings and blueprints.Â Use of AutoCADD would be helpful.
- Basic knowledge of cleaning and the maintenance of Janitorial equipment.
- Ability to interact pleasantly, constructively and cooperatively with library patrons and staff.
- Ability to work responsibly without direct supervision.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge of MSDS, safety practices and procedures.
- Perform routine electrical, HVAC and plumbing repairs.
- Replaces light bulbs, ballast and other light maintenance duties as assigned.
- Perform basic maintenance of the building envelope as assigned.
- Perform vehicle maintenance and minor repairs.
- Rotate Maintenance On-Call with other B&G Staff.
- Assist custodial and maintenance duties in a pleasant, constructive and cooperative manner.
- Assists with snow removal and other grounds keeping duties as assigned.
- Assemble and move furniture and equipment as needed.
- Drives library maintenance and delivery vehicles as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Occasionally works with other maintenance personnel.
- Routine contact with library staff.
- Supervised by Facilities Manager
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling, crawling, climbing, twisting and reaching both to ground level and overhead, hold and grips objects, subject to working in awkward positions and periods of prolonged walking, sitting, or standing.
- Lifts and carries up to 75 lbs. of equipment or materials.
- Performs daily tasks requiring mobility, strength and stamina.
- Must be able to perform work on ladders or lift over 20’ and in confined spaces.
- Will perform work indoors and outdoors with exposure to dust and pollen; subject to a variety of extreme weather conditions.
- Susceptible to mechanical and electrical hazards associated with equipment and wiring.
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals and other safety hazards due to noise, poor lighting and ventilation, fumes and odors.
- Must be able to perform work on ladders and in confined spaces.
- Must pass a security background check.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass current motor vehicle record review.
Education and experience will be evaluated with regard
to quantity, recency and quality.
To receive credit for college courses or degrees, transcripts
must accompany your application.
Applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond
the stated minimums on the job posting.
Those with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations
in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act
before testing or appointment. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment.
Federal law requires that all employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees (including U.S. citizens). The Library uses the E-Verify system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information, view the E-Verify poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf). For information about the right to work, see the right to work poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf).
Find more information about applying for this
job, or download an Application
for Employment (pdf).