Reference Associate or Assistant
A part-time reference associate or assistant position is available at the Midtown Carnegie Branch Library and will be posted until the application deadline of Dec. 27. The job is scheduled for approximately 20 hours per week.
Associate positions require a BS/BA degree in a related field. Assistant positions require a minimum of 60 college hours. The job description is the same for both the Associate, and the Assistant, however the pay scale will be based on the candidate’s educational level. To be considered for this position, transcripts must accompany your application.
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
- Empowerment - To give someone the means or ability to do something.
- Respect - To treat all people with dignity.
- Excellence - To be the best in everything we do.
- Innovation - To start or provide something new.
- Confidence - To be certain of trustworthiness.
- Synergy - To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually.
- Assist patrons of all ages with reader's advisory, information needs, and the location of library materials.
- Assist and instruct patrons in the use of the library catalog, databases and print resources.
- Assist and instruct patrons in the operation of personal computers (PCs), copy machines, printers and microfilm readers.
- Regular telephone and online reference and information work.
- Performs computer searches.
- Operates technologically advanced computer equipment, databases, handheld devices, fax machines and PCs.
- Routine re-shelving of reference materials.
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, Reference Associates must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. A Reference Associate must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others and the general public: Reference Associate jobs are interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. Reference Associates also have a great degree of direct contact with Library patrons. Therefore, it is essential that individuals who work in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
- Associate positions require a BS/BA degree in a related field.
- Assistant positions require a minimum of 60 college hours and current enrollment in college in pursuit of an undergraduate degree.
- One-year public service experience required.
- Public library experience preferred.
- Ability to interact pleasantly, constructively, and cooperatively with library patrons and staff.
- Excellent communications skills, oral and written.
- Ability to effectively listen to and respond to patron inquiries.
- Ability to perform essential job functions during times of high public usage.
- Working knowledge of ready reference tools.
- Computer and keyboard skills, to include windows, word processing and spreadsheet construction.
- Knowledge and appreciation of literature.
- Public speaking skills, ability to plan, organize and execute programs, tours, and meetings.
- Perform reference, patron advisory, and information services in a pleasant, constructive and cooperative manner.
- Observe and implement library policies and procedures.
- Performs periodic public speaking, conducts tours and attends meetings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Assists with collection management for the branch.
- Regular, daily public contact.
- Works closely with other department personnel.
- Routine telephone contact with other departments and branches.
- Supervised by The Library Center Branch Reference Manager.
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height.
- Displays good coordination and mobility.
- Routine lifting of library materials weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library environment.
- Must pass a security background check.
Education and experience will be evaluated with regard
to quantity, recency and quality.
To receive credit for college courses or degrees, transcripts
must accompany your application.
Applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond
the stated minimums on the job posting.
Those with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations
in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act
before testing or appointment. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment.
Federal law requires that all employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees (including U.S. citizens). The Library uses the E-Verify system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information, view the E-Verify poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf). For information about the right to work, see the right to work poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf).
Find more information about applying for this
job, or download an Application
for Employment (pdf).