A part-time reference associate position is available at the Library Center and will be posted until the application deadline of Aug. 5. The job is scheduled for approximately 24 hours per week and pays $10.85 per hour.
The vision for the Springfield-Greene County Library is to be a thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community. Library employees will be expected to embrace the following values:
- Empowerment - To give someone the means or ability to do something.
- Respect - To treat all people with dignity.
- Excellence - To be the best in everything we do.
- Innovation - To start or provide something new.
- Confidence - To be certain of trustworthiness.
- Synergy - To produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually.
- Assist patrons of all ages and abilities with reader's advisory, information needs, and the location of library materials in person, on the phone, via chat and email.
- May perform circulation functions.
- Assist and instruct patrons in the use of the library catalog, databases and print resources.
- Assist patrons in accessing e-books and other digital materials on e-readers, computers, smartphones and other technological devices.
- Assist and instruct patrons in the operation and troubleshooting of personal computers (PCs), copy machines, printers, and microfilm readers.
- Regular telephone and online reference and information work.
- Responsible for maintaining and merchandising the branch collection.
- Performs computer searches.
- Operates technologically advanced computer equipment, databases, fax machines, and PCs.
- Ability to interpret and implement the Library's General Conduct Policy.
- Routine re-shelving of reference materials.
- May contribute to the Library District's reference services by posting articles to the Library's blog, may assist in the upkeep of social media, chat or other services.
- Timeliness: Since employees in this position work with other staff and provide assistance to the general public who patronize the Library, Reference Associates must be punctual and timely in arriving to work and completing tasks. A Reference Associate must also be capable of working all of the hours in their assigned shift.
- Ability to work with others and the general public: Reference Associate jobs are interdependent and mutually dependent regarding other job categories. Reference Associates also have a great degree of direct contact with Library patrons. Therefore, it is essential that individuals who work in this position have the ability to work and interact in a cooperative, pleasant, and constructive manner with others.
- Position requires a BS/BA degree in a related field.
- One-year public service experience required.
- Public library experience preferred.
- Ability to interact pleasantly, constructively and cooperatively with library patrons and staff.
- Excellent communications skills, oral and written.
- Ability to effectively listen to and respond to patron inquiries.
- Ability to perform essential job functions during times of high public usage.
- Working knowledge of ready reference tools.
- Computer and keyboard skills, to include windows, word processing, spreadsheet construction and Powerpoint presentations.
- Knowledge and appreciation of literature.
- Public speaking skills, ability to plan, organize and execute programs, tours and meetings.
- Perform reference, patron advisory and information services in a pleasant, constructive and cooperative manner.
- Observe and implement library policies and procedures.
- Performs periodic public speaking, conducts tours and attends meetings.
- Assists with collection management for the branch.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular, daily public contact.
- Works closely with other department personnel.
- Routine telephone and online contact with other departments and branches.
- Supervised by the Branch Reference Manager.
- Performs bending, squatting, kneeling and reaching from floor level to 6 feet in height.
- Displays good coordination and mobility.
- Routine lifting of library materials weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Primarily in-doors with heating and cooling regulated in a general library environment.
- Must be able to pass a security background check.
Education and experience will be evaluated with regard
to quantity, recency and quality.
To receive credit for college courses or degrees, transcripts
must accompany your application.
Applications may be reviewed for qualifications beyond
the stated minimums on the job posting.
Those with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations
in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act
before testing or appointment. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment.
Federal law requires that all employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees (including U.S. citizens). The Library uses the E-Verify system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information, view the E-Verify poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf). For information about the right to work, see the right to work poster in English (pdf) or Español (pdf).
Find more information about applying for this
job, or download an Application
for Employment (pdf).