< Library Home< Local History<Frisco Home< Depots
Dade County, Missouri
Click on the thumbnail image to enlarge picture.
* All floor plans are in PDF format.
Identifier: p01137
Title:
Everton, Missouri Depot
Creator:
Allen Johnson
Description:
The railroad depot at Everton, Missouri, used by the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company. Everton is comparatively a new city, dating its birth from the building of the K. C. Ft. S. & M. railroad in 1881.
County:
Dade
Division:
Northern
Subdivision: Ash Grove
Branch:
Unknown
Station:
C176
Freight:
249
Milepost:
176 miles from Kansas City
Date Original:
August 24, 1952
Source:
3 x 5 inch black and white photograph

Identifier: p01156
Title:
Greenfield, Missouri Depot
Creator:
Howard D. Killam
Description:
The railroad depot at Greenfield, Missouri, used by the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company. [This depot was probably located in South Greenfield about three miles south of Greenfield. In 1903 the track came through South Greenfield, with a single track spur to a lumberyard and stockyard in Greenfield proper.]
County:
Dade
Division:
Northern
Subdivision: Ash Grove
Branch:
Aurora
Station:
BA 168
Freight:
332
Milepost:
165.5 miles from Kansas City
Date Original:
June 15, 1957
Source:
4 x 6 inch black and white photograph

Identifier: p01182
Title:
Lockwood, Missouri Depot
Creator:
Arthur Johnson
Description:
The railroad depot at Lockwood, Missouri, used by the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company
County:
Dade
Division:
Northern
Subdivision: Ash Grove
Branch:
Unknown
Station:
C159
Freight:
493
Milepost:
158.6 miles from Kansas City
Date Original:
June 15, 1957
Source:
2 x 3 inch black and white photograph

Identifier: p01252
Title:
South Greenfield, Missouri Depot
Creator:
Unknown
Description:
The railroad depot at South Greenfield, Missouri, used by the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company. Prior to the year 1881, there were no railroads in Dade County. In that day, Greenfield was the metropolis of the county and all the horse tracks in the road pointed in that direction. The old railroad survey to which Dade County had subscribed bonds in the sum of $250,000 touched the townsite of Greenfield on the southwest but when the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad was built, it missed the town by three miles. It follows a natural depression out of the Turnback and Limestone hills to the prairie, leaving the county seat stranded on high and dry ground.
People in their enthusiasm and speculation expected to see Greenfield with her business interests and county offices move bodily to the railroad point.
Various new businesses were established, and in a few years, the new
city attained a population of 600.
At this juncture the unexpected happened. T. A. Miller conceived the idea of building a brand new railroad from Greenfield to South Greenfield by popular subscription. Greenfield business men took kindly to the idea and in a short time, the Greenfield and Northern Railroad was a reality. Later on, this road was extended southward thirty miles to Aurora, and was sold to the Frisco System.
With the building of this railroad, the county seat hope of South Greenfield folded and finally vanished into thin air. (—History of Dade County and Its People, Vol. 1, pp. 217-218-219.) [This image was labeled South Greenfield by the original owner. It is more likely the Greenfield depot from another angle. The Greenfield depot was apparently located in South Greenfield.]
County:
Dade
Division:
Northern

Subdivision:
Ash Grove
Branch:
Unknown
Station:
C166
Freight:
780
Milepost:
165.5 miles from Kansas City
Date Original:
Unknown
Source:
3 x 4.5 inch black and white photograph

Contact Us
© Springfield-Greene County Library District