Springfield As It Is Now--Ts Surroundings, And A Glance- At Some Of Its Institutions And Leading Business Men
In other days thy rocky side
Has felt the roll of battle's tide,
That swept, these hills along,
When Price and Lyon alternate led
Their legions o'er the trampled dead
Of fierce Zagonyi's throng.
And yonder distant green-clad field
Has trembled 'neath the serried steel,
When squadrons rushing tore,
As Marmaduke, with glory's thought,
Led his brave followers to the shock—
Repulsed like ocean from the rock,
His laurels wet with gore.
Historic Hill! On glory's page,
Will live the annals of that age,
When valor ruled of yore;
And often will the tale be told,
Of "Old Pap Price," and Lyon bold,
When infants now are grandsires old,
And war resounds no more.
Now peace prevails throughout the land,
and industry on every hand,
With childhood's merry laugh;
and where in yonder verdant dell
Once on the startled ear there fell,
The crash of arms and shriek of shell—
We hear the loom and shaft.
Springfield, we love thy mountain air—
Thy beauteous fields—thy valley's fair—
the glories of thy zone.
Of fairer skies, may poets sing.
Where summer reigns, and endless spring
More varied stores, from nature bring—
But we love our mountain home.
—CHARLES H. GOFFE
We have now traced the growth and development of Springfield from a little hamlet, established in a new and remote part of the Country, far away from the ordinary haunts and common thoroughfares of men of that day, and even gone back of that and given a sketch of the lives of brave pioneers who came here long before a town at this place was even thought of. We have attempted to show the causes which led to the founding of the town and its location at this place, and have given our readers such items of its general history as we thought would be most interesting to the general reader, and such facts and figures as should properly be preserved for future reference.
In the present chapter we purpose to give a sort of general review of the city as we find it to-day, in some places, perhaps, introducing historical items that have not been mentioned in regular chronological order. It will be observed that the former chapter left us at the close of the "war of the rebellion," and in this we commence with a reference to "Springfield as it is now," thus leaving a space of thirteen years unnoticed in the heading of the chapters ; but, as a review of the institutions and business of the city will naturally lead us back over these intervening years, this space will be bridged over, and the history will be as complete as the ability of the writer, under the circumstances surrounding him. could make it.
The present corporate limits of Springfield include the whole of sections thirteen and twenty four, with three-fourths of sections fourteen and twenty-three, in township twenty-nine north, of range twenty-two west, and contain three and a half square miles, or 2240 acres of land. The present population, as ascertained by an actual census of the city, taken expressly for this work, is very nearly seven thousand. On the tenth page will be found a complete census report of this city and North Springfield.
Springfield is the county seat of Greene county, which contains a population of about twenty-five hundred. with an assessed valuation of over , $6,000,000 worth of property. It is surrounded by several of the largest and most fertile prairies in this section of the State, and is the principal market and shipping point for a large share of Southwest Missouri and Northwestern Arkansas. Its situation is two hundred and forty-one miles from St. Louis, via the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway, which passes through North Springfield a little over a mile from the public square.
This is the same road for which a tax of $20,000 had been levied and paid by this county in 1856, but at the commencement of the war the road was only completed as far as Rolla, and as the original company were unable to fulfill their contract and complete the road, it fell into the hands of the State authorities, from whom, in 1866, it was purchased by John C. Fremont for $1,300,000.
Concerning this sale and the interest manifested in Southwest Missouri by Gov. Fletcher, who had control of. the matter, we quote, below, an extract from a letter received from him in January, 1866, by Maj. McElhany, who was afterward appointed one of the commissioners for the sale of the road:
"Don't despair of your railroad, and don't forsake the Kickapoo country—'its day of redemption draweth nigh.' I know that you have, for long weary years, struggled on in the hope of one day being brought into communication with the, outside world, and have so often seen your hopes dashed to the ground that you hesitate. now that you have passed the meridian of life, to build new hopes of seeing the development of the Great Southwest, and reaping the benefit of the improvements. Let me assure you the road will be built, and that at once."
In a letter to H. C. Young, Esq. just after the passage of the bill, Gov. Fletcher also says "I shall select as commissioners the men who I think can most aid me to get the road built .soon, without regard to where they live. Or what their opinions may be on any other subject."
But this sale to Gen. Fremont did not result in the completion of the road to Springfield. The first installment of $325,000 was promptly paid and the road was completed as far as Little Piney but when the second payment fell due Fremont was unable to meet it, and the road again reverted back to the State.
During all these years, staging and hauling goods in wagons from Rolla. were among the inconveniences from which the city suffered. The overland stage route to California had been continued through this place up to 1861, but after the war was never re established. There was, however, a continuous line of stages to Fort Smith, Arkansas, and the telegraph line to that place was still continued. Up to the close of the war it was controlled by Federal authority, but in 1867 was purchased by a private company of citizens of Springfield. Soon after Fremont's failure. and the relinquishment of his claim to the railroad, New York and Boston capitalists began to be interested in the building of a number of roads in the South and West, and, in 1868, a company of Eastern men purchased this line and soon completed it through this State, to Vinita in-in the Indian Territory, which is its present western terminus.
Although the fondest hopes of the people were not realized in the construction of this road, and although it did not directly benefit the town as much as could have been wished, still it has brought to the county a large number of enterprising farmers, as well as some capitalists, and thus added much to the material wealth of the county.
Springfield being the county seat and business center, must necessarily hold the balance of power and reap largely of the benefits of all improvements in the surrounding country, however much any class of persons in the county may strive to oppose this irresistible consequence, and, although at times, which excited by some act of those in power which may seem more directly in the interest of one than the other, jealousies may arise between the country and the city, it will be seen, on mature deliberation, that the interests of city and country are so nearly allied, that anything which is for the benefit of one, cannot fall to profit the other to some extent.
Springfield has already been the recipient of a large increase in trade from the hundreds of farmers who have come to the county and opened up new farms since the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad reached here, and when she gets a competing line across the State to Memphis or some point on the Mississippi, she will be able to repay them with interest by furnishing their necessary supplies at greatly reduced prices.
Such a road would form an outlet from Springfield to the Mississippi, at a point below where navigation is usually blockaded by ice during the winter months, and form a more direct line for the shipment of grain to the European markets by way of the Gulf. It would also open up a large scope of good farming lands, heavy pine forests and rich mineral regions throughout the south central portion of the State, which is now almost considered "outside of the pale of civilization." This section would rapidly fill up with an enterprising class of citizens, who would develop its resources and add much to the trade of Springfield, if railroad and telegraphic communication the rest of the world were furnished from this section.
The new railroad which is now open from Springfield to Ash Grove. and will probably be completed to the vast coal fields of the counties north and west of this, cannot fail to be the means of helping to build up more extensive manufacturing establishments in Springfield, and has already been of considerable advantage to the farmers in the northwest part of the county, by furnishing transportation for stock and grain.
This was the first railroad track ever laid within the limits of Springfield, and the first road that could really be claimed by this city; so it is not strange that more than an ordinary degree of interest was felt by the citizens in the laying of the last few rails which should connect the city with the great network of railroads of the country. About 3 P. M., on the 20th day of May, 1878, the people of Springfield were startled by the prolonged whistling of the engines in the Wagon Factory and the Iron Works, and by the ringing of the alarm bell in the Bell Tower in the center of the public square. Nearly all at first thought it was a fire alarm, but in a few moments word was passed from one to another that it was the signal announcing the approach of the first regular train on the Springfield & Western Missouri. Railroad.
This discovery, however, did not check, but rather added to the excitement which prevailed upon the streets. and hundreds of people-men, women and children, white and black, old and young were seen hastening toward the depot, or gathering in groups along the brow of the hill which commands a view of the track. When the whistles began to blow in town, they were answered by the shrill whistle of the Thomas A. Scott, the locomotive which was bringing in the train, and a halt was made near the bridge over Wilson Creek, to give the crowd sufficient time to secure suitable places of observation. Four or five hundred of the more eager and enthusiastic "citizens and small boys" went up the road to meet and welcome the train; and no doubt the passengers felt like the rustic who was riding with the king, and, observing the people taking off their hats and bowing as they passed, he turned to his companion and enquired what it all meant, adding, "Sure I must be the king, or you," whereupon the king made himself known, and the man discovered that the homage was not intended for him but for his royal companion. Al-though this is but a short road, and does not yet extend beyond the limits of Greene county, the people recognize in it a tie which will in-some future day form a link in the great chain which will serve to unite the South and the West.
In this connection, and in order to give to strangers and persons who are not well acquainted with the business and surroundings of the city, a more comprehensive view of its advances, we publish extracts from some of the many interesting articles that have recently been written descriptive of Springfield. We first call your attention to the following, from the Spiritual Offering of January, 1878:
"Springfield is the chief commercial representative of this section and controls a very important jobbing trade. The country, in all directions for fifty miles, is dependent upon this point for supplies, and on the south for 150 miles. All that portion of Arkansas lying north of the Boston Mountains is forced to seek this market. This trade is exceedingly lucrative. From the South 100,000 bales of cotton are received annually, besides all other products of this vast region. Springfield is the best outlet, and natural obstructions in the way of points that might otherwise compete with her, gives this city entire control of the trade. The jobbing trade of Springfield this year will aggregate $2,500,000. There are houses which sell worth $500,000 of goods a year. All lines of trade are well represented, as will appear in detail hereafter. Springfield contains about 150 business houses of various ranks, carrying stocks amounting to upwards of $1,000,000 in value. Nearly all the stores are of brick, and very creditable in appearance, as fine as those of any medium city in the United States. The city is growing steadily, improvements are constantly in progress, and the country can support a city three times the size of Springfield. Its resources are not half developed. Here is a promising field for capital, and not a chance of failure in any well-directed effort."
We next give extracts from the Patriot-Advertiser of a recent date: "Leaving St. Louis on the St. Louis and San Francisco railroad, after traveling a distance of two hundred and twenty-five miles, the traveler finds himself on the summit of the Ozark mountains in Southwest Missouri. The country is made up of nearly equal parts of prairie and timber land. The climate is mild, and as invigorating and healthful as can be found anywhere in the world. The winters are short, beginning in December and terminating about the middle of February. The thermometer never shows a degree of cold lower than six to eight degrees below zero, and that seldom occurs. A cold spell rarely lasts longer than three or four days. Many of our winters are not cold enough to furnish an ice crop. That of 1875-6 was of that character. Horses and cattle, in many instances, live through the entire winter on the range without feed. For a distance of forty miles after attaining the summit, principally occupied by Greene county, the land is rolling, in places broken, and with an occasional hill or ridge which is too rocky for successful cultivation; but the soil everywhere is of the strongest and most fertile character, producing heavy crops of the cereals and grasses, large crops of tobacco, and fair average crops of cotton. Wheat yield from year to year an average of fifteen to twenty bushels per acre, corn thirty-five to forty, and all the grasses grow luxuriantly. Blue grass is indigenous, and grows spontaneously wherever it has an opportunity. Tobacco yields an average of one thousand pounds per acre. Cotton is not grown extensively, but yields an average of four to seven hundred pounds per acre. Vegetables of all kinds grow bountifully. Apples, peaches, pears, cherries, in fact every variety of fruit except currants, is grown successfully. The apple crop is never a failure, nor is the crop of small fruits. Peaches are sometimes pushed forward by warm weather in February and killed by frosts in March. "The atmosphere during the spring, summer and autumn months is for the most part delicious. It is believed that no other country in the world has such beautiful skies, or such balmy, exhilarating air, as Southwest Missouri during August, September and October. It is nearly impossible to get sick during this period, and those who come here sick at that season receive as much benefit as they can possibly obtain from a pure and invigorating atmosphere, and a genial and healthful climate anywhere. Thousands can testify to the truth of this statement from personal experience.
"If a watering place is wanted, the Chalybeate Springs, in Lawrence county, only twenty miles from Springfield, furnish an abundance of the finest mineral water to be found in the United States. A large hotel and boarding house, furnishes all visitors with the comforts of home, while they are receiving the health' giving properties of the water.
"If good society is wanted, there is none better East or West. Orderly, moral, cultured, enjoying the benefits of comparative wealth more generally distributed among all classes than elsewhere, and furnishing, therefore, a higher degree of independence, our people extend a hospitable and friendly invitation to all who come to improve their condition in any way, and who desire to assist in improving and making still better the country to which they come.
"Are schools and churches wanted, every denomination is represented here in town and country. Church houses abound everywhere, and religious meetings are well attended, while religious effort meets with a gratifying degree of success. Every school district in Greene county has a neat, comfortable schoolhouse, at which from four to eight months school is conducted each year.
"Is a reliable home market wanted, Springfield, the Metropolis of the Southwest, a town of over eight thousand inhabitants (including North Springfield), the distributing point for a territory large enough to make a State, furnishes such a market. Here are important manufacturing enterprises successfully' prosecuted. A large cotton mill, employing a hundred hands, makes thousands of yards of domestic and pounds of yarn and twine daily. A wagon factory, employing over fifty hands and the best machinery, is making two thousand wagons a year, equal to the best made in the United States. An additional factory makes from forty to fifty wagons each year. The iron works employ over forty hands, and turn out from forty to fifty thousand dollars worth of work per year. The Eagle foundry, which does a large amount of work, employs a number of hands. The woolen mill makes cassimeres, jeans, blankets, flannels, etc., of as good quality as are made anywhere; merchant flouring mills, which make an article of flour that cannot be excelled; a planing mill and sash, blind and door factory, which turns out the very best of work; tobacco factories, whose best brands of tobacco have a wide reputation and meet ready sale; cigar makers, who turn out yearly several hundred thousand A No. 1 cigars, and medical laboratories, sending out thousands of dollars worth of proprietary medicines, which are rapidly becoming popular. These, and other manufacturing enterprises, employ in the aggregate a large number of hands, who, with their families, must be fed by the produce of the surrounding country, and they are the nucleus around which will gather other similar enterprises in the near future.
"If facilities for education are wanted, the public schools of Springfield are not excelled in any respect by the public schools of any other town or city in the Union; while to those who desire a thorough, scientific or classical course, Drury College offers all the advantages of the older institutions of learning.
"The natural beauty of the country, with its prairie and wood land. its bubbling springs, and creeks and rivers of living water is equal to any, and it is equally capable of artistic and profitable improvement.
"To those timid people who imagine this country to be filled with cut-throats and other desperadoes, whose business it is to wreak vengeance upon those who differ with them politically or otherwise, we can say, sincerely and truthfully, that there is no section of the Union where life and property are more secure than here in Southwest Missouri. The two political parties divide the people about equally, and there is no persecution of any kind, nor ostracism on account of political opinion. Every man is measured at the true value of his manhood, regardless of whether he is a Republican or Democrat, and his entree to the best society is not in the least impeded by his political opinions, however fully he may express them. Were it not for misrepresentations that have gone out, and to some extent taken possession of the Northern mind, a statement like this would be wholly unnecessary. As it is, we hope it may help to dissipate the foul calumnies which have been circulated concerning this beautiful portion of Missouri."
It seems to be a fact that Missouri and her people have been more seriously misrepresented than those of any other section of the country. We are aware that Missouri has furnished some of the most daring and desperate characters of the present century, but we protest against this general charge of lawlessness which is continually implied in the writings of those who furnish so many sensational articles for the Northern and Eastern press. Jas. B Hickok, or "Wild Bill," was a man who figured quite conspicuously in Springfield for some time after the war, as a gambler and desperado, and a correspondent to Harper's Monthly, in 1867, furnished a highly-colored description of his wonderful and daring feats. This correspondent, like many writers of sensational literature, also drew very much upon his imagination in describing the people generally in Southwest Missouri, whom he represented as "dressing in greasy skins and basking in the sunshine prone upon the pavements."
From a recent article in the Leader on the subject of immigration, we clip the following item, which we know to be too true with regard to the opinion of Missouri in other sections of the country:
"In many places in the East,. Southwest Missouri is looked upon as inhabited by a set of long-haired, ignorant bush-whackers. People there, appear never to have heard of any but the very worst class of our people, and one old lady was much surprised when we told her of the seven or eight churches in Springfield, and that Sunday here was as quiet as in her own native village."
The following beautiful letter, written last spring by a lady of this city to a relative in the East, with its glowing description of some of the attractions of Springfield at that lovely season of the year, was published in the Leader, and we venture to say that those of our readers who have once perused it, will be pleased to have this opportunity of reading it again.
"You ask me, dear Jennie. to tell you of the lovely Southwest and the beautiful birds, &c. - March has really outdone herself this season. While you at the North, enveloped in furs, face bleak snow-storms, or shiver over range and register indoors, spring--gentle spring-decked in robes of gorgeous hues, comes to us with noiseless footsteps. Sleeping violets awaken to greet her; bud and leaf unfold to receive her tender kisses; prairie and woodland doff their wintry robes; snow-wreaths melt away; sweetest flowers rejoice to embrace her as she smilingly rescues them from winter's relentless grasp. Bloom from meadow and orchard drifts out on the stillness and floods the very air with fragrance. For weeks, the mornings have been enveloped in a soft haze, visible in fading sunsets of mid-summer, or at the close of mellow October days. Nothing wild or boisterous--only peace in the strange quiet--the very repose is rest-laden and brings throbs of joy to the sufferer and glimpses of hope to the despondent. Each warm sun-glance, as it peers into the abode of misery, causes the forlorn inmate to look gladly forth and thank God for smiling spring. Her coming heralds the annual return of the dear song birds-those sweet heart-charmers! How they chirp and flutter and warble! There they are--in the east corner of the porch column-blue bird and robin, disputing, like wayward children, over the wreck of a last year's nest. Each claims bits of rotten twine and brittle twigs. A red-bird, brilliant in scarlet, with bristling `top-knot,' poises on the wisteria vine close by to watch the progress of the performance. A lovely `fischu' adorns his breast--not made up in guissure and valenciennes, but composed of black, silky feathers, securely fastened to his throat by Nature's hand. His low, clear chirps, swell forth into prolonged whistles and sweet melody, equaled only by the matchless medleys and soaring trills of the downy-winged mockingbird. Thrushes, wild canaries and orioles (or golden robins) will appear in later spring days to swell the grand chorus of praise which you will fail not to hear. if you listen to my urgent invitation to visit our fair Southwest.
"I know you have an outlook to Vassar or Speingle's. I think you could profitably take a preparatory course at our public school, complete with a trained corps of modern teachers and professors. The noted and conspicuous school building looms up--an attractive object from various points of observation. It has spacious halls, and airy, commodious apartments. The windows of the upper rooms offer pleasant glimpses of business houses and a Public Square with its ever-changing panoramic views; a lovely landscape to the north dotted with elegant residences and a stretch of woodland beyond. Soaring ambition would point to Drury, basking in the sunshine, and approval of its numerous friends and wide spread classical fame.
"True, we are three days from Trinity chimes, Broadway beauties, Central Park attractions, Stewart's and Taylor's. Still we boast of merchants whose shelves are crammed with the latest importations, going at a "ruinous sacrifice."
"Our suburbs in every direction afford charming scenery and enjoyable rides. Within the area of a few miles we have a natural bridge, a popular resort for picnics ; caves overhung with glittering pendants in strange shapes and artistic devices, which elicit the wonder and admiration of distinguished visitors.
"Our churches are filled on the Sabbath with attentive listeners. We have Organs, well-trained choirs and eminent leaders. Don't you wish you were here to participate? Oh, will not sweet melody, healthful breezes, a salubrious climate, and, above all, resistless pleadings, lure you to our fair Southwest? Oh, come to our lovely prairie home! Will you come to our beautiful 'Queen City of the Ozarks?'"
CHURCHES, LODGES AND OTHER INSTITUTIONS
An invitation was extended to all Churches and Masonic Lodges, and other religious and benevolent societies in the city, to furnish historical sketches for publication. This information was published in all of the papers of the city, early enough to give ample time for all of these societies to collect the items, if sufficiently interested to do so. Some have responded promptly, and we cheerfully give them the space to insert such matter as they have furnished. Others have probably considered the subject of no great importance, or have expected that we would take time tolook the matter up and publish it without any labor on their part and have therefore neglected to furnish the data from which we could do so.
All subjects that we consider of general interest to the public we have spared no pains in collecting, and even these historical sketches of societies, each of which would only be of special interest to a -small class of readers, have been repeatedly asked for, from leading members of the societies, with only partial success in obtaining them. This is our only apology for the difference in the amount of space given to each, or for omissions, if any are noticed.
The Methodist Church is probably the oldest of any organized Society in the city, and for the following sketch of its early history we are indebted to Rev. T. M Cobb, Pastor in charge of the
M. E. CHURCH SOUTH
"In 1832, Rev. Mr. Slavens commenced preaching at the old Fulbright place, near the west end of Walnut street. Subsequently the place of worship was moved to a log school house and meeting house near the present residence of Capt. George M. Jones, at which place monthly preaching was kept up for some years. The church was organized at the school house in 1832. About 1840 the place of worship was again moved to near where the present church stands, at the corner of South and Walnut streets. Soon after, a frame church was erected. which still stands, near the residence of Mr. McAdams.
"In 1847, Springfield was made a station, with preaching every Sabbath, and Rev. Lacy was appointed its first pastor. In 1855 the St. Louis Annual Conference met in this old frame church, Bishop John Early presiding.
"In 1858, the present church edifice was built, and occupied until 1863, when, on account of the disturbance of the civil war, services were suspended.
"In 1869, Rev. W. M. Prottsman was appointed to reorganize the church. He commenced with about 15 members. The membership now numbers 170, and the church enjoys a constant growth. Rev. Thomas M. Cobb is just now, closing up his third year as pastor.
"The church property is valued at $10,000, and the parsonage at $2,000. John L. Holland, W. P. Whitlock, George M Jones, Samuel Jopes and S. M. Doling, are the Trustees.
"The Sunday School numbers 125 scholars, with the Pastor as superintendent."
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
After the first organization of the Methodist Church in Springfield, the Methodist Episcopal Church of the United States became divided, the Methodists of the Southern States taking the name, "M. E. Church South," and those of the Northern States retaining the old name. The Northern branch of this Church is also represented by a large society in this city, and the following sketch of its history was kindly furnished us by Rev. J. J. Bentley its present pastor:
"At an Annual Conference held in March, 1864, in the City of Jefferson, Mo., Rev. L. M. Vernon was appointed Pastor and Presiding Elder to this city and section of Missouri. On the 15th of May, 1864, a society of 55 members was organized, and on the 15th of August the basement of the church edifice built by the M. E. Church South was opened for worship, at an expense of $1,500. The house had been used for military purposes. Those were days of peril and toil. The Pastor worked on the fortifications with all other citizens, till relieved therefrom by sickness lasting a month. At the end of a year the membership numbered 100.
"In the spring of 1865, Rev. Vernon was returned as Presiding Elder, and Rev. J. M Davidson as Pastor of the Church in Springfield. The war closed during the year, and with peace came great prosperity to every interest. Rev. J. L. Walker was appointed to succeed Rev. Davidson, in March, 1866. His efforts were crowned with a revival resulting in a gain of 32, many of whom yet remain as active members. In August, 1866, Rev. Vernon was called to the Presidency of St. Charles College, Rev. Walker was appointed Presiding Elder, and Rev. J. J. Bentley was appointed Pastor.
During this fall the Church purchased the house of the trustees of the M E. Church South. In 1867 the completion of the audience-room was undertaken, and finished early in 1868. May 28th of that year a tornado unroofed the house and otherwise damaged it, so as to lead the trustees to determine to erect a building on another lot. In the fall of 1868, the chapel now used was begun, but was not finished until in May, I869. During an entire year the congregation worshipped in the court house.
"Rev. J. J. Bentley was removed in March, 1869, and Rev. A. Greenman was appointed in charge. During 1868 the two Methodist churches agreed upon a committee of arbitration, to adjust the question of church property in the city. The M. E. Church South received the old property again.
"Rev. J. K. Tuttle was appointed to succeed Rev. Greenman, in March, 1871. He served but one year, and was followed by Rev. H. R. Miller. After two years of successful ministry, Rev. O.M. Stewart was appointed Rev. Miller's successor to the pastorate. During this ecclesiastical year occurred the great religious awakening known as the "Union Revival Meeting." Some 20 had been converted in the M. E. Church before the union meetings began. The result to this church was an increase of 56 probationers. In March, 1875, Rev. F. S. Beggs was appointed preacher-in-charge, and continued till Conference met in 1877, when the present pastor, Rev. J. J. Bentley, was appointed.
"During these years, the following results have been obtained: 530 persons have been members here; 226 have professed conversion and joined the church as probationers, of whom 146 became full members here, and 31 were dismissed by letter, and 49 were discontinued, most of them having removed without letters. Baptisms, infants 89, adults 60. Deaths, 25. Average attendance of Sunday school, 200. Benevolent collections—missions, $1,210 all other collections, $1,223; total, $2,433. For church property, principal and interest about $10,000. Salaries of ministry, $15,000. Rent of preacher's house, usually paid by preacher, $2,300. The church has rarely ever been closed, or the pulpit without some one competent to break the Bread of Life to the people. The present membership is 195."
Next to the Methodist churches, in date of organization and in membership, is probably:
THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH
This society have a large brick church on College street—the largest in the city. but at present have no regular minister. Thereis also a large Sunday school in connection with the church.
Before the war, Rev. Charles Carleton was for several years the pastor, and continued -in charge up to the time of the little episode referred to in the preceding chapter, after which he went South, and the church was, for some time. without a regular minister. Since the close of the war, its pulpit has been occupied most of the time by some of the most talented ministers of that denomination.
The Presbyterian church, which was also organized at an early day, is now represented by two societies.
THE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN
society have a large brick edifice on Jefferson street near the public school building. This church was erected before the war, and during that conflict was used as an arsenal. At the time of Marmaduke's attack, it was struck by a shells which passed entirely through the building without exploding. There was also a plot laid for blowing it up on the same night, but it was discovered in time to save the building, and it still stands. This church was also struck by lightning in 1878, but not seriously injured. Rev. Pendergrass, its present pastor, has been in charge several years, and regular services are held every Sunday, morning and evening. This church also has a large Sunday school.
THE CALVARY PRESBYTERIAN
society have for several years occupied the old church on South Jefferson street but are now engaged in the erection of a new house of worship on the corner of St. Louis street and Benton avenue, on the site formerly occupied by the residence of Governor Phelps, which was destroyed by fire at the time of the war.
The present popular minister is Rev. C. H. Dunlap, who has been in charge several years. Good music is also one of the attractions of this church the choir being under the leadership of Prof. A. B. Brown, of the Conservatory of Music. The Sunday school is also in a flourishing condition.
THE BAPTIST CHURCH
This is another of the pioneer societies, though we have not obtained the exact date of its organization. Among its most prominent ministers of the early days was Rev. McCord Roberts, who was its regular minister up to the time of the battle of Wilson creek, after which the church had no regular services for five years. The building was first used by the Confederates, as a hospital and commissary store-house. Soon after, the Federals having gained possession of the town, used the house as a home for refugees, and Gen. Sanborn's body guard used it for a while as their headquarters.
For some, time an amateur dramatic club gave regular entertainments there for the benefit of a fund raised for the aid of refugees and other sufferers from the war. Among the members of this club was Miss Dosia Smith, who was afterward imprisoned in St. Louis as a "rebel spy," but nothing being proven against her, she was honorably acquitted. Miss Mary Phelps, now Mrs. Montgomery, was also a member, as well as Mrs. Burden, Mrs. Fairchild and Wm. Shipley, of this city. These entertainments were well patronized, and were probably the means of doing much good. The church was afterward used, by permission of the military authorities, for a colored school.
During these years the house was badly abused, the seats all being destroyed, and the walls defaced and otherwise damaged.
In June, 1866, Rev. E. Alvard came here from Kansas, and an effort was commenced for reorganizing the church. Money was raised and the building thoroughly repaired, and in September following the reorganization was accomplished, Rev. Alvard being chosen the first pastor. At this time, Springfield contained but about 2,500 people, and the only churches that had regular services were the Presbyterians, Methodists and Christians.
THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH
was organized in the spring of 1859, Rev. T. I. Holcomb, who was formerly assistant in Christ's church, St. Louis, being the first minister. Prof. J. A. Stephens and Miss Marie L. Madison, who is now the wife of Wade H. Burden of this city, were the pioneer " church people " in this city. The chancel window of the present church is a memorial in honor of the valuable services of Mr. Stephens, in helping to build up the society.
Mr. Holcomb first came to Springfield at the request of Mrs. Burden, to baptize her infant daughter, and Miss Nellie Burden was therefore the first person baptized into this church in Springfield. During Mr. Holcomb's first visit here, he also baptized several others, members of some of the leading families of the place, among them Miss Sue Ware, who was baptized by immersion in Fulbright's spring. The other baptisms were performed in the Presbyterian church, and for some time after that the services of the church were held in Temperance Hall, which stood on the east side of the public square. After that, services were held on alternate Sundays in the Baptist church. Mr. Holcomb remained in charge until the spring of 1861, when he was called to the charge of St. Paul's church in Cincinnati, which he accepted for three months, hoping, while there, to obtain aid for the contraction of the new church which the society contemplated erecting here.
The war coming on about this time, Mr. Holcomb did not return, and the project of building was postponed. This society had services occasionally during the time of the war, among which was one extraordinary service, conducted in the Baptist church by a Confederate officer, a layman, who read the Episcopal church service and then called upon Col. Mitchell, a Methodist minister, to close with prayer, which he did with a great deal of earnestness, including a lengthy exhortation to the congregation. About the year 1868, under the efforts of Rev. William Charles, the erection of the present church, on the corner of East Walnut and Kimbrough streets, was commenced, but it was not completed and consecrated until New Year's Eve, 1870. The church was at this time under the care of Rev. J. H. Waterman, by whose efforts the house was completed and cleared of debt. This church has always been celebrated for its excellent music, having always maintained a good choir. The first regular quartette choir was organized by Mrs. Burden, before mentioned, and consisted of , Miss Jennie Stephens, soprano; Miss Fannie Stephens, alto; Wm. Stephens, tenor, and Geo. M. Sawyer, bass, with Miss Annie Stephens, organist. Of this original choir, three remain, the choir now consisting of Misses Kate and Mary Innes and Nellie Burden, sopranos; Mrs. John White, alto; William Stephens, tenor; Geo. M. Sawyer and Henry Graves, bass; Jas. Smith, leader, and Miss Clem Culbertson, organist. Among those who have officiated as organist, were Miss Nellie M. Madison and Mrs. James Smith. In connection with this church is a large Sunday school, under the efficient superintendence of Mr. J. H. Tuttle.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
of Springfield, obtained the services of a resident priest in 1867. Previous to that it was attended by Rev. F. W.. Graham, from Rolla, but in that year he located here. This society first worshipped in a hall on St. Louis street, but soon purchased the property now used by them on the corner of Campbell and Pine streets. There they erected a church 30 by 60 feet, and in 1871 a priest's house and a convent were erected at considerable expense, which involved the necessity of going in debt to some extent. In May, 1873, Rev. Theo. Kussman took charge of the parish, and still remains. In July, 1874, the congregation bought a site for a future church, to be built as soon as convenient, on the northeast corner of the same streets. This lot, 120 by 250 feet, cost them $l.100, and in January, 1876, the society paid off their entire debt to the amount of $3,000.
The principal service of this church is early mass, which takes place in the morning. At first and late mass the church is pretty well filled, and the society numbers about 350 communicants. We are reliably informed that within the last four years the congregation has increased in the ratio of three to one. St. Vincent Society, connected with this church, has a membership of about 40. There is also a Sunday school of about 60 children; and an Academy, which bids fair to become a popular institution of learning, is just opened in the Convent, under the efficient management of the Sisters of Loretto.
Besides the churches already mentioned, the colored people of the city, who constitute about one-fourth of the population, have four churches, all of which are well attended. Here, also,
THE COLORED METHODIST CHURCH
seemed to be the pioneer, and for a long time this society had regular services in a church given to them by Maj. R. J. MeElhany. In 1865 they erected their present brick chapel, on the corner of Jefferson street and Phelps avenue. L. M. Hagood, the present minister, was appointed by the M E. General Conference in March, 1878, and from him we learn that the present membership is about 200, and the value of church property, including parsonage, $2,000. The colored Methodists, as well as their white brethred, are also divided into two societies. In 1872
THE AFRICAN M. E. CHURCH
was organized by Rev. John A. Fouche. The original membership was ten, who withdrew from the other church. The present membership is 87, and they have a good frame building, erected in 1875, on the corner of Benton and Center avenues, at a cost of $1,800. Their present pastor is Rev. John W. Shropshire. Both of these Societies also have large Sunday schools.
THE COLORED CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
was organized in 1866. Peter Lair was the first preacher in charge, and the organization consisted of only five members. Mr. Lair continued to preach for them about six years, after which Robert Johnson preached for them one year. After him came Louis L. Fulbright, two years, Jacob L. Hatton nearly two years, and since that Peter Lair has again been in charge for about eight months. The services were held in Mr. Lair's house in the east part of town until about 1868, when their present church was erected on Water street, at a cost of about $1,800. The membership is now about 160.
THE COLORED BAPTIST CHURCH
is a large society, having a comfortable house of worship on Washington street1 but as they have, at present, no regular minister, we failed to get any definite record of their history and membership. Like all the other churches of the city, it has its Sunday school, which has now come to be considered, by nearly all religious denominations, the nursery of the church.
Of the Masonic lodges, Mr. C. F. Leavitt furnishes us the following data:
The first lodge instituted in Springfield was known as Ozark Lodge, and was organized July 21st, 1841, with the following officers: Joel Haden, W. M.; Jas. R. Danforth, S. W. Constantine Perkins, J. W.
On the 17th of October, 18421 the charter was obtained, and to the list of officers already appointed were added the names of J. W. Danforth, Sec'y; I. N. Young, Treas.; L. B. Nichols, S. D.; P. G. Stewart, J. D., and C. Cannefax, Tyler.
UNITED LODGE NO. 5, A. F. & A. M.
was chartered on the 30th of May, 1857, being formed by uniting. Taylor Lodge, No. 5, and Greene Lodge, No. 101. The Masters of this lodge have been Charles Carleton, Marcus Boyd, J. B. Clark, J. W. D. L. F. Mack, Martin J. Hubbell, Z. M Rountree, C. F. Leavitt and W. A. Hall. Its regular meetings are held on Thursday, on or before the full moon of each month.
SOLOMON LODGE, NO. 271
From Dr. Tefft we learn that this lodge was instituted on the the 11th of January, 1868, by M. J. Hubbell, D. D. G. M., under a dispensation granted by the M W. Grand Master of Masons of Mo. The first place of meeting was the old hall in, the third story of the court house. The dispensation was granted to the following gentlemen, who constituted the first membership John Y. Fulbright, W. M.; J. E. Tefft, S. W.; W. F. Dunn, J. W.; M J. Rountree, Treas.; J. L. Carson, Sec'y; F. S. Jones, S. D.; E. A. Finney, J. D.; T. D. Hudson and John S. Waddill.
S. H. Jopes, of United Lodge, No. 5, was the first Tyler, and the first initiation was that of H. R. Creighton, who took the first degree on the 12th of March, 1868. At the regular meeting of the Grand Lodge in Oct., 1868, a charter was granted to this lodge, and On the 5th of Nov., 1868, it was duly organized. The following is a full list of the Masters of the lodge and the times of election John Y. Fulbright, 1868-'69-'71-'77 J. E.. Tefft, 1870-'75-'76; W. O. Cox, 1872; R. S. Eddy, 1873-'74.. The present membership is 84.
ANCIENT ORDER OF UNITED WORKMEN
Dr. C. L. King furnishes the following items concerning this society, which was organized Jan. 16, 1878, and holds its meetings in Druid's Hall, 107 Public Square. Its officers are C. L. King, M. W.; W. A. Hall, P. M. W.; L. W. Hubbell, R.; J. B. Newsom, Rec.; C. L. Dalrymple, F.; W. N. York, G. F.; St. F. C. Roberts, G.; E. Barrett, O. ;_______Kirkham, I. W.;Ramsey, O. W. Meetinggs every Friday evening at 8 o'clock.
Several references have already been made to the public schools of Springfield, and for want of space we shall be obliged to omit further statistics, which we intended to publish in order to give the reader an idea of their importance to the city.
Any review of Springfield and its institutions would not be complete that did not include Drury College. It belongs to the family of American colleges, of which Howard and Yale are the type. It resembles these in its founding, organic laws, courses of study and aim. Although among the youngest of its class, it has already won a high reputation throughout the country. The work of its classes, represented at the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia, attracted the favorable attention of educators from all sections of our own and from foreign countries, especially that of the scholastic delegation of France. It has been honored by frequent visits from those interested in or representing other colleges, who have invariably noticed the work done by its students, and at the inter-collegiate contest for this State, recently held in Fulton, Mo., Drury was victorious.
The rapid growth of the College is largely due to the generous aid given by friends at home and abroad. It has ever enjoyed the highest confidence of its patrons. Its geographical position in the center of a large and promising territory, where growth in wealth and population has been wonderfully rapid, enables it to fill the need which had long been felt for a school of the highest Christian character, as well as the highest degree of learning. Its future prospects are brighter than at any period of its history. This is shown by the increased number of students.
LORETTO YOUNG LADIES', ACADEMY
Concerning this new institution of learning, we quote the following extract from a notice recently published in the Times:
The Catholic congregation of this city have tried hard for the last two years to get the Sisters of Loretto to open a school here, because they knew their excellent reputation as educators. Owing to the fact. however, that they were wanted in several other places, it seemed doubtful whether they could be induced to come to this city. Last November the Lady Superior paid a visit to Springfield and was so delighted with the place and the people she became acquainted with, that she promised to lay the matter before a council of the sisterhood. The result was, that they concluded to open here a first-class Convent Academy. As educators, the Sisters cannot be surpassed ; but what makes their presence in a community most desirable is the charming character they form in their pupils, imparting to them a sweetness of disposition and gracefulness of deportment that always tell of a convent education."
THE SPRINGFIELD GASLIGHT COMPANY
believe in letting their light so shine that others may take knowledge of their good works. This company was organized in 1874, and commenced operations about the first of August 1875. There are now eighty two regular consumers, and fixtures furnished for about forty more. The company have 13,000 feet of first-class mains, and the city has fifty street lamps, besides which a bill is now before the City Council to provide for supplying fifty more street lamps, which would require 11,000 feet of additional mains.
OMNIBUS AND HACK LINE
One of the great conveniences of the city, and the important link which connects it with the railroad town of North Springfield, is the almost continuous line of hacks running between the two places, and the large and comfortable omnibuses which are always on hand at train time. For this convenience the people are chiefly indebted to H. F. Denton, who also keeps a first-class livery stable just opposite the Metropolitan hotel on College street. Mr. Denton is one of Springfield's most popular citizens, and is an enterprising, liberal and public-spirited man. He keeps a complete outfit of the best buggies, barouches, etc., and a well-selected stable of horses.
Besides its large hotel, Springfield is well supplied with first-class boarding houses.
THE ST. LOUIS STREET HOUSE
kept by Mrs. M A. Goffe, at the stand occupied for several years by Mrs. Williams, and known as the "Williams House," is the most conveniently situated for persons wishing to do business on the public square. Its table is always supplied with the best the market affords, and the charges are reasonable. Special attention will be given to transient boarders.
THE TRANSIENT HOUSE
kept by J. M. Kelley, is situated on the west side of South street, the first door south of the Methodist church, and is a pleasant place for persons wishing a home-like place away from the noise and hustle of hotel life, and yet near enough to the public square to be convenient for the transaction of business. Mr. Kelley and his lady have kept a private boarding house for several years, and have recently erected a large new dining hall forty feet long, so they are now as well prepared to entertain regular and transient boarders as at any house in the city.
SOUTH STREET BOARDNG HOUSE
is next above the Transient House, on the same street, and is kept by Mrs. G. B. Wellman, who is well and favorably known. This house is also conveniently located for persons doing business in the city, and is comfortably furnished, while the table is well supplied with substantials as well as delicacies. Regular and transient boarders will find at this house pleasant rooms, polite attention and good fare, at moderate prices.
THE YOUNG HOUSE
is the largest hotel in the city with one exception, and is pleasantly situated still farther up on South street, where it commands a fine view of the city. Its present proprietor, B. B. Gardner, who has only been in Springfield a short time, is a veteran in the business, and knows how to keep a good hotel. The location the is healthy and charges moderate.
MRS. KERBER'S RESTAURANT
is another convenient place for regular or transient boarders, being situated on the east side of South Street but a short distance from the public square. There is one convenience about this kind of a boarding house which is not enjoyed at a regular hotel. A person can go in at any hour and get a good warm meal on short notice, and this is a very important item to business men who are often too busy to take their meals at regular hours.
SPRINGFIELD HYGEIAN HOME
one of the institutions of the city which is growing in in favor advantages become known by the people, and is also patronized quite liberally by persons from abroad. It is commonly known as a water-cure establishment, but is, as its name implies, much more than this--pure water variously applied being considered as only one of the curative agents which nature has provided, and which are here are here employed. Patients are treated withoutdrugs, upon hygeio therapeutic principles. Boarders are also received at moderate rates.
This establishment is kept by Dr. J. S. Lyon, and is pleasantly situated at the corner of Market and Mt. Vernon streets, in the southwest part of the city.
DR. J. A. NATTRASS, DENTIST
is prominent among the members of his profession in the city, and being the pioneer dentist of Springfield, merits and receives a large share of the business. He is a genial, whole-souled gentleman, and seems to be highly respected by all who know him. His office is on South street, nearly opposite the Opera House.
JOHN H. KOCH, JEWELER
will be found at No. 204 South street, where he keeps a fine stock of clocks, watches, gold pens and all kinds of jewelry. Mr. K. also gives special attention to the repairing of clocks and watches, and keeps on hand the largest stock of spectacles to be found in Southwest Missouri.
This is one of the old reliable houses of the city, and hoping that Mr. Koch will continue to receive a fair share of patronage, we next turn our attention, to
T. B. ANDERSON, PRACTICAL WATCHMAKER
Mr. A. is a pleasant and affable gentleman, and seems to be master of his trade. He is the recipient of a good share of the patronage which his skill and fine stock of clocks, watches and jewelry merit. Mr. Anderson will be found at No. 142 Public Square, Corner of St. Louis street.
L. S. CASS & CO., GROCERS
This firm is composed of the gentleman whose name appears in the above heading, associated with his father, D. Cass, formerly from Wisconsin. They have been in business at their present stand, 213 College street, for about nine years, and by fair, honest dealing, and keeping a good stock of choice groceries, provisions, stoneware, glassware, queensware, etc., have secured a large trade from both city and country. Mr. L. S. Cass is at present a member of the City Council, in which he is an earnest advocate of the public improvements so much needed.
PECK & CLARK
wholesale and retail dealers in notions, hosiery and ladies' and gents' furnishing goods, at No. 140 on the Public Square, are also doing a fine business in Butterick & Co.'s patterns, of which they keep a full line. These patterns, for the cutting and fitting of all kinds of clothing for ladies, gentlemen, boys, girls, and even the smallest types of humanity, are a great convenience, and supply a want which has long been felt.
CONCORD NURSERY, M. J. ROUNTREE, PROPRIETOR
This large and popular nursery is situated on East Walnut street, a short distance from the City limits. Mr. Rountree deals extensively in fruit and ornamental trees, and has probably the most complete stack of evergreens to be found in this section of the country. He is an active member of the Horticultural Society, and has devoted many years to the business of nursery and fruit-growing.
Strangers visiting Springfield will find that a look at the Concord Nursery will amply repay them for the trouble.
FRANK COX, FRESCO PAINTER
Mr. Cox has only been in the city a short time, and being interested in the large grocery house of Cox & Co., at 220 College street, he has given but little attention to his favorite profession since he came here. He has, however, recently painted for Mr. Horace Dumars, some very fine new scenery, which was used in recent entertainments at the Opera House. His work compares favorably with that of the best painters of the Eastern cities, he having painted and received instructions under some of the best scenic artists the country affords.
W. E.. LEE & CO., TAILORS
231 South street, have been doing business near their present stand for about twelve years, and have built up a large business both as manufacturers of new and as dealers in second-hand clothing, of which they always keep a large stock on hand.
A. R. Lee, the junior partner in the firm, is an experienced hand in the dyeing and renovating department, and will make old clothes look as good as new, and sometimes better. They also pay cash for castoff clothing.
MRS. G.B. BROWNSON, DRESSMAKER
The dressmaking establishment of Mrs. G. B. Brownson, over Dittrick & Meinhardt's large retail dry goods house on St. Louis street, is the leading establishment in the city. The latest fashion plates are received every week from Paris and New York, and satisfaction, both as to prices and work, is guaranteed to all.
J. A. STEPHENS
wholesale and retail dealer in books, stationery and wall paper, in the Post Office Bookstore at No. 224 College street, is conveniently located for business, and has a large patronage both in the city and the surrounding country, even into Arkansas. His stock embraces a full line of miscellaneous books, text-books and school supplies, as well as the latest novelties in stationery, and the most elegant patterns of wall paper, window shades, etc.
Mr. Stephens, although a young man, has been in this business several years, and is one of the best known and most popular men in his line in Southwest Missouri.
H. O. DOW & CO.,
dealers in all kinds of agricultural implements and jobbers of farm machinery at No. 211 College street. do the largest business of any firm west of St. Louis outside of Kansas City. They own the building they occupy, pay no rents and can sell goods on as small profits as any firm in the West. Their trade extends from Salem, Dent county, to Central Kansas, and they control the territory as far south as Little Rock, Arkansas. They are general agents for the following well-known manufacturers: Pitts Agriricultural Works, Buffalo, N. Y; D. M. Osborne & Co., Auburn, N. Y.; Kingsland, Ferguson & Co., St. Louis, Mo.; Mosler Safe and Lock Co., Cincinnati, Ohio ; Oliver Chilled Plow Co., South Bend, Ind., and Hapgood & Co., Alton, Ill.
The gentlemen composing this firm are both citizens of Springfield, Mr. Dow having resided in the city thirteen years. Before engaging in this business he was civil engineer on several railroads in the Southwest, and therefore has an extensive acquaintance throughout the territory which they control. His partner, Mr. Coombs, is a man of large experience in the business, and is well and favorably known throughout the Southwest. He is also deeply interested in the improvements in the city, being at present a member of the City Council.
J. G. BAITHEL, LUMBER DEALER
The gentleman whose name heads this item is one of our most energetic business men. His lumber yard, corner of Boonville and Mill streets, is one of the most extensive to be found in the Southwest; and, what is even better than this, Mr. Raithel is a man with whom it is pleasant and safe to deal. His word is as good as any man's bond, and his lumber, which is kept in large stock, is sold as low as can be afforded in this city. He was one of the pioneer lumber dealers of North Springfield, but soon finding that too limited a "field," `removed his business to this city, where he enjoys an extensive patronage.
EMERY & COMSTOCK, FURNITURE DEALERS
This firm have the largest stock of furniture southwest of St. Louis. They have been established in Springfield a number of years, and have built up a trade that extends for more than one hundred miles south and west; in fact nearly all the furniture sold in Northern Arkansas and the extreme southwestern counties of this State, comes from this house. Al their goods are made of the best material and are warranted. Mr.. Emery is one of our most liberal and enterprising citizens. Mr. Comstock is a resident of St. Louis, and has been for many years actively engaged in the furniture business there. This connection enables them to lay down their goods here at lower rates than can their competitors, and as a natural result they undersell them. Besides the regular line of furniture, they keep the most complete stock of carpets, mattresses and upholstery goods of any firm in the city. They occupy the large brick building formerly known as the St. James Hotel, at 220, 222 and 224 South street.
W. H. LYMAN, BLACKSMITH
Stands prominent among the first-class workmen in his line. His shop on Mill street, near the corner of Boonville, is one of the old landmarks of the city, and always seems to be thronged with customers; but Mr. L. keeps several assistants, and is prompt in turning out good work on short notice. He does a general blacksmithing business, but gives special attention to the repairing of carriages and wagons.
B. F. HUNTINGTON, MERCHANT TAILOR
has been business for several years at No. 215 College street, where he gives people "fits" in the line of clothing. He is the idol of a select coat-erie, and a "cut" from him is considered a compliment. He keeps on hand a good stock of different styles of goods, from which he makes up elegant suits of clothes, to please the taste of the most fastidious. As he employs several hands to help him, he is enabled to turn out good work on short notice, and is always prompt in fulfilling his promises.
M. KEENER'S BAKERY AND CONFECTIONERY
at No. 308, Boonville street, furnishes the "staff of life" for a large number of the citizens of Springfield, besides supplying yeast to raise a great deal more. Mr. Keener has been in business at his present stand for about eight years, and his establishment is a great convenience to the people of that part of the city. Nor is his patronage confined to his immediate neighborhood, but extends to the whole city. He also keeps a good stock of staple and fancy groceries, which he sells as cheap as any one in the city.
NAGLER & PAULY, BUTCHERS AND PACKERS
These gentlemen are doing business at No. 610 South Campbell street, where they have an extensive establishment devoted to the manufacture of Bologna sausage and cured meats, for which they find ready sale in this city, and receive many orders from abroad. They are both highly-respected citizens, and merit the good degree of patronage which they receive.
J. A. HARRIS, BOOK-BINDER
A long-felt want was supplied, and well supplied, too, when Mr. Harris, the book-binder, located in this city. His place of business is over Abbott's drug-store, on the Square. Mr. Harris has been in business here only a few months, but the time has been sufficient for him to make friends with all who have become acquainted with him. And it has been sufficient, also, to demonstrate his taste and skill as a workman. We are glad we have a book-binder, and particularly glad that we have so competent a one. We can say with entire confidence to our readers, that any binding, plain or fancy, which they may wish to have done, can now be secured at home, and that it will be done as well and at as low rates as in St. Louis or elsewhere.
C. B. McINTIRE, BLANK BOOK MANUFACTURER
has also established a blank book manufactory and book bindery in Dr. Evans' building, one door north of the Opera House on South street. He gives special attention to the manufacture of books of record in use in the various county offices. He is well ski1led in the different branches of his trade, has ample facilities to carry it on successfully, and asks to be judged by the quality of his work. It is hoped that the counties of the Southwest will find it to their interest to send all work of this kind here, and give Mr. McIntire a share of their patronage.
Springfield has many more men and firms who have an extensive trade in their respective lines, but most of them are so chary about bringing themselves prominently before the people in public print, that we forbear to mention them for fear of shocking their modesty. We, however, have no such fears concerning the editors of the
In a former chapter we chronicled the birth and the death of several newspapers which were published here in the days of yore. We here call attention to those that are now published:
From the Patriot and the Advertiser, formerly mentioned, has grown up the present large and flourishing weekly Patriot-Advertiser.
This is a large thirty-two column Republican paper, issued every Thursday, by Leach & Tracey. It is now in its fourteenth volume, with a circulation of 1,000, and constantly increasing.
Although sternly and unflinchingly Republican in its principles, freely devoting its columns to political news during the campaigns, and in fact whenever occasion may seem to demand, its proprietors conduct it more in accordance with the principles of true journalism by ignoring in some measure party prejudices, and making it a general news and local paper. In this latter particular it excels, and it is no doubt owing to this that it has met with such success. Office No. 208 St. Louis street.
The Patriot-Advertiser has a large book and job office, and is prepared to execute any description of work. The material is all new, their workmen of superior ability, and satisfaction is guaranteed both as to prices and quality of work.
The Springfield Leader was established April 4, 1867, by O. S. Fahnestock & Co. In 1868, the junior partner, D. C. `Kennedy, purchased the entire property and assumed entire control. Itwas the first Democratic paper issued in Southwest Missouri after the close of the war between the States. and had a severe struggle to maintain itself, but the few Democrats in Springfield and the Southwest at that time allied to its support and defense, and it Is now recognized as the representative Democratic paper of this section. It circulates in all the counties of Southwest Missouri. and is regarded a good advertising medium. In the advocacy of all measures it is independent, and always espouses the cause of the people in opposition to all monopolies. Office 204 Boonville street.
The Springfield Times, a Democratic newspaper published by Sawyer & Lamoreaux, is now in its ninth year. The Times has attained a circulation second to no paper in the Southwest, and the able manner in which it is conducted reflects credit upon its managers. The paper is characterized by the attention it gives to home and local affairs, and each week considerable space is devoted to the discussion of city and county news. The publication day is on Wednesday, and the office at No. 217 South St. In connection with their newspaper office, the proprietors have one of the most complete job offices in the city, and with experienced managers are enabled to compete with Eastern houses in the way of job printing, in quality of work or in prices.
The Spritual Offering, Mrs. Nettie Pease Fox editor. From. the prospectus of this sixty-four page magazine, established here in 1877, and published at No. 215 South street, we quote the following extract
"The Offering will be conducted independently, impartially. Nothing looking to man's welfare will be deemed alien to its pages. Unrestricted discussion of all questions of humanitarian import, will be ever maintained by it. Offensive personalities and indelicacy of language will be wholly excluded. In its editorial conduct, the truth. beauty and utility of Spiritualism in its higher phases will be advanced. It will not in any particular be a sectarian journal, but broad, progressive and liberal--will give fair and equal expression to all forms of thought; and "fair field, and no favor" it extends to all. Above all things it aims to be Liberal, to be devoted to Liberalism in its broadest and most extensive application."
Having now given the reader a fair picture of Springfield and its principal institutions, we again call your attention to the history of its
With all the various attempts at organization and incorporation, it seems that nothing really permanent was effected, until the year 1855, when the city of Springfield was incorporated by act of the Legislature; and in the Spring of 1856 the first city officers under this act were elected and entered upon the discharge of their duties. We close this chapter and the history of Springfield with the official register of the city, from the incorporation in 1855 to 1878, inclusive:
1856.--H. S. Chenoweth, Mayor; Benj. Kite, Marshal; Josiah Leedy, Marshal; S. H. Boyd, Clerk; Wm. McAdams, Treasurer; John B. Perkins, Assessor; J. S. Bigbee, Recorder. Councilmen--W. H. Graves, W. G. Evans, Presly C. Beal, J. W.D. L. F. Mack, John Kimbrough, T. J. Bailey, Allen Mitchell, H. M. Parrish.
1857--J. S. Kimbrough, Mayor; Josiah Leedy, Marshal; John S. Bigbee, Recorder; J. L. Sharp, Clerk; Wm. McAdams, Treasurer; D. C. Smith, Assessor. Councilmen--J. W. D. L. F. Mack, W. G. Evans, Joseph Moss, W. B. Logan, W. H. Graves. H. M. Parrish, John Lair, N. K. Smith.
1858--S. H. Boyd, Mayor; Josiah Leedy, Marshal; J. S. Bigbee, Recorder; J. L. Sharp, Clerk; Wm. McAdams, Treasurer; Joseph Morris, Assessor. Councilmen--P. C. Beal, J. A. Miller, Allen Mitchell, W. G. Evans, J. E. Smitb, N. K. Smith, W. B. Logan.
1859--S. H. Boyd, Mayor; Josiah Leedy, Marshal; J. S. Bigbee, Recorder; J. L. Sharp, Clerk; Wm. McAdams, Treasurer; Joseph Gott, Assessor. Councilmen--P. C. Beal, N.F. Jones, Benj. Pegram, Allen Mitchell. R. P. Faulkner, J. E. Smith, J. A. Mliller.
1860--J.W. Mack, Mayor; A. M. Julian, Marshal ; J. S. Bigbee, Recorder; R. A. C. Mack, Clerk; Wm. McAdams, Treasurer; W. F. Dunn, Assessor. Councilmen--R. P. Faulkner, P. C. Beal, J. W. Boren, Benj. Pegram, Benj. Kite, J. B. Clark, John Lair, W. G. Evans.
From the spring of 1861 to September, 1865, the city was governed by the military, and had no civil officers.
1865.--Benj. Kite, Mayor; C. C. Moss, Marshal; J. S. Bigbee, Recorder; Jas. R. Waddill, City Attorney; J. W. Lisenby, Clerk; Jas. Abbott, Treasurer; J. B. Beiderlinden, Assessor. Councilmen--Jas. Baker, Jas. Vaughan, F. W. Scholten, J. W. D. L. F. Mack, R. J. McElhany, A. F. Ingram, Elisha Painter, J. B. Perkins.
1866.--J. H. Creighton, Mayor; W. F. Dunn, Marshal; A. Hollingsworth, Marshal; Jas. R. Waddill, City Attorney; J. W. Lisenby, Clerk; Jas. Abbott, Treasurer; Joseph Gott, Assessor; J. J, See, Street Commissioner; A. Vangeuder, Recorder. Councilmen--Jas. Vaughan, A. F. Ingram, Geo. C. See, J. W. D. L. F. Mack, W. H. Lyman, F. W. Scholten, Elisha Painter, John H. Caynor.
1867.-R. B. Owen, Mayor; A. Hollingsworth, Marshal; A. Vangeuder, Recorder; W. E. Gilmore, Recorder; A. M. Julian, City Attorney; F. H. Warren, Clerk; Wm. Massey, Treasurer; F. H. Warren, Assessor; H. F. Williams, Street Commissioner. Councilmen--Geo.C. See, A. F., Ingram, J.L. French, F. W. Scholten, W. H. Lyman, Jas. Baker, John Schmook, Johii H. Caynor, J. F. Brown, J. B. Dexter, Jacob Pilger.
1868.-J. B. Dexter, Mayor and Rec.; Jas. Long, Marshal; H. R. Creighton, City Attorney; F. H. Warren. Clerk; Wm. Massey, Treasurer; F. H. Warren, Assessor; T. D. Hudson, Street Commissioner; D. W. Campbell, Street Commissioner; John Hursh. Street Commissioner. Councilmen--J. L. French, J. L. Holland, Anthony Fisher, Johm Schmook, Jacob Pilger, James Hays, W. H. Lyman, L. T. Watson, Wm. McAdams, J. B. Waddill.
1869.--W. E. Gilmore, Mayor and Recorder; Jas. Long, Marshal; F. H. Warren, City Attorney; E. D. Ott, Clerk; N. M. Rountree, Treasurer; B. F. Lawson, Treasurer; L. A. Newton, Assessor; D. C. See, Street Commissioner C. P. Johnson. Street Commissioner. Councilmen--J. L. Holland, John Schmook, Job Newton, L. T. Watson, Henry Sheppard, W D. Hubbard, Ad. E. Smith, L. H. Murray, J. B. Waddill
1870.--W. E. Gilmore, Mayor and Recorder; C. C. Avery, Marshal; J. H. Murphy, City Attorney; J. E. Kenton, Clerk; J. T. Hubbard, Treasurer; M. M. Turk, Assessor; B. F. Partridge, Assessor. Councilmen--L. H. Murray, John Schmook, J. McAdoo, W. D. Hubbard, Ad. E. Smith, A. F. Ingram, J. B. Townsend, J. H. Rector, C. P. Johnson.
1871.--L. H. Murray, Mayor; David C. See, Recorder; J. L. French, Marshal; Jas. R. Waddill, City Attorney; J. E. Kenton, Clerk; Daniel Ellis, Treasurer; Thos. C. Case, Assessor; B. F. Partridge, Assessor; S. C. Moore, Street Commissioner; Sam. Odell, Street Commissioner. Councilmen--J. B. Townsend, A. F. Ingram, R. L. McElhany, M. M. Johnson, J. H. Rector, J.Fairbanks, L. A. Newton, J. McAdoo J. N. Miller, F. S. Jones.
1872.--J. Fairbanks, Mayor; J. A. Patterson, Marshal; J. H. Murphy, Recorder; J. C. Cravens, City Attorney; J. H. Paine, Clerk; Samuel Moore, Treasurer; E. J. Baldwin, Assessor; F. J. Porter, Street Commissioner. Councilmen--H. Fletcher, R..L. McElhany, W. C. Hornbeak, J. R. Ferguson, M. M. Johnson, E. A. Anthony, Morris Paxson, F. S. Jones, Samuel Odell.
1873.--John McGregor, Mayor; J. A. Patterson, Marshal; J. E. Kenton, City Attorney; D. C. See, Recorder; John H. Paine, Clerk; Sam. Moore, Sr., Treasurer; B. F. Partridge, Assessor; J. G. Aumoth, Street Commissioner. Councilmen--W. A. Knott, T. U. Flanner, F. M. Shockley, H. Fletcher, B. U. Massey, Morris Paxson, W. C. Hornbeak, Sam. Odell.
1874.--John W. Lisenby, Mayor; J. M. Wilhoit, Marshal; C. H. Evans, Recorder; E. Y. Mitchell, Attorney; J. H. Paine, City Clerk; J. R. Ferguson, Treasurer; E. J. Baldwin, Assessor; Wayne O'Donald, Street Commissioner .Councilmen-W. A. Knott, T. U. Flanner, F. M. Shockley, John ,Wood, W. D. Sheppard, James Stone, J. J. Weaver, J. W. Peacher.
1875.--J. J. Weaver, Mayor J. A. Patterson, Marshal; O. H. Travers, Attorney; C. H. Evans, Recorder; J. E. Kenton, Clerk; J. H. Gage, Treasurer; W. O. Stephens, Assessor; J. L. French, Str'eet Commissioner. Councilmen--W.D. Sheppard, James Stone, C. H. Heer, J. W. Peacher, P. C. Morhiser, H. F. Fellows, J. C. Cravens, A. F. Ingram.
1876.--W. A. Hall, Mayor; S. F. C. Roberts, Marshal; C. L. Dalrymple, Recorder; O. H. Travers, Attorney; A. H. Wilson, Clerk; J. H. Gage, Treasurer; N. B. Turner, Assessor; James Long, Street Commissioner. Councilmen--P. C. Morhiser, Jas. Stone, Jas. Penland, A. F. Ingram, Geo. S. Day, W. O. Stephens, E. A. Roberts, Jas. Evans.
1877.--H. F. Fellows, Mayor; M. M. Johnson, Marshal; C. L. Dalrymple, Recorder; J. A. Patterson, City Attorney; W. W. Donham, Clerk; J. H. Gage, Treasurer; E. S. Moberly, Assessor;. Dennis McSweeney, Street Commissioner. Councilmen--Geo. S. Day, James Stone, E. A. Roberts, Wm. Naegler, W. H. McAdams, H. Fletcher, W. O. Stephens, James Hodnett.
1878.--H. F. Fellows, Mayor; M. M. Johnson, Marshal; J. H. Duncan, Recorder; R. A. Druley, City Attorney; W.. T. Bigbee,. Clerk; J. M. Kelley, Treasurer; Aaron Depee, Assessor; Dennis McSweeney, Street Commissioner. Councilmen--H. Fletcher,. John Coombs, W. O. Stephens, James Stone, E. A. Roberts, Jas. Hodnett, W. H. McAdams, Lewis Cass.
Next Chapter | Table of Contents | Keyword Search
Greene County History Home | Local History Home