Description Natural Features The Ash Grove Lead Mines Mason's Cave, or the Cave of Adullum Early Settlements Pioneer History Miscellaneous The Town of Ash Grove Baptist Church Cumberland Presbyterian Church Biographies of Old Settlers and Prominent Citizens of Boone Township.
Boone is one of the best townships in Greene county. A considerable portion of its territory is prairie and contains some very excellent farms, while the most of the timbered land is not altogether worthless. Its economic geology is very valuable and important, the extensive lead and zinc mines in the southwestern part of the township being of great worth and promise. Ash Grove, the third town in the county, is in Boone township. A very valuable railroad furnishes communication with the leading marts of the country, while the people as a rule, have more of enterprise and public spirit than many of their neighbors.
Boone township is well supplied with schools, churches, mills, stores, and small manufacturing establishments, which go to advancing the material interests of the community and contribute to the general welfare.
The natural features of the township are to be admired. Two important and interesting caves are opened and have attracted hundreds of sightseers, fond of the beautiful and marvelous clear waters and pleasant streams, a variety of fine views and scenes, and much else interesting and profitable to contemplate can here be found by him who will seek it, while an intelligent, enterprising, hospitable, and generous populace make of Boone township a delightful and interesting abiding place. [620-621]
THE ASH GROVE LEAD MINES.
The first lead known to exist in Greene county was discovered in the locality where now are united the lines of Lawrence, Dade and Greene counties, in section 31, township 30, range 24, soon after the first settlement of the county, but altogether in the form of float mineral and in very small quantities, and, as since discovered, was simply another of the Ash Grove mines. In the year 1859 large pieces of galena were thrown from a well being sunk on the land of C. F. Corum. It however led to no discoveries until after the war.
In 1867 Parson Justice, residing in the vicinity of Ash Grove, happened to mention this discovery of 1859 to Judge Ralph Walker, who was then engaged in the mercantile business at that place, and this conversation led to the leasing of the land in question as well as other large tracts adjoining. A company was soon after formed, composed of Judge Walker, John G. Perryman, A. M. Appleby and others. A great deal of prospecting was done by this company, in a very crude way however, and no profitable results grow out of it. The company was reorganized and John McGregor, H. C. Tanny, Judge Bray, and Dr. W. C. Swiney were added to the former three names. Considerable work was done by this company, but the results failed to give satisfaction, as in fact the main bodies of the mineral were not discovered. This company was in turn disbanded and after some time again reorganized by Judge Walker, J. G. Perryman and Dr. W. C. Swiney, who were fortunate in discovering the main bodies of the mineral, now known as the "Rail Road" and the "Rothschilds Mines."
Judge Walker has yet clung to this interest and is now sole owner of the mines, having bought out the others. He has made valuable experiments in these mines during last year. In the "Rail Road" mines he drilled from the bottom of a deep shaft a six inch hole to a depth of 220 feet, carefully preserving specimens from the different strata gone through and subjecting them to a careful examination, so that from this, as also from experience gained at different deep wells sunk in the neighborhood, he has preserved a perfect geological history of the formation of that locality. In his experiment he has established the fact that lead exists in his mines to a depth of 170 feet.
Boone township abounds in natural curiosities and remarkable features. The most remarkable of these is the large cave near Ash Grove, known as Mason's Cave, than which there is no more interesting subterranean feature of the many caves, caverns and other characteristics of Southwest Missouri. Mason's cave is about one-half mile southwest of the town of Ash Grove. Throughout it runs a small stream, called Dry Branch, from the circumstances of it's containing no water the greater part of the year.
The cave proper is about 500 yards in length, and runs nearly east and west. The mouth, or entrance, is on the bank of Sac river. The principal entrance, and the one most used by visitors, is about sixty yards from the mouth, and the descent into the cavern is made by means of a long wooden stairway, which runs into a circular opening into the cave. About seventy-five feet from this entrance, a wing diverges to the right at an angle of twenty degress, and up a slight incline. This portion of the cave contains the greater wonders, and is the most accessible. It is, perhaps, 200 yards in length, and at an average of every hundred feet there are cross sections running at almost right angles to the main gallery.
In nearly all of the sections are rooms, or chambers, whose ceiling are from five to thirty feet high, and from fifteen to thirty-five feet wide. Some of the rooms have huge stalagmitic pillars or columns, seemingly placed there by the architect and builders who constructed the cave. These columns are circular, and from three to twenty inches in diameter. Some of the rooms are ornamented with the whitest and most delicately carved stalactites, which hang from the ceiling and walls in graceful profusion, while from the floor rise those statue-like formations of carbonate of lime denominated stalagmites. These have suffered no little mutilation and other injuries at the hands of relic-hunters and curiosity seekers.
One large room on the left hand of the entrance is called the "ball room," from its being so frequently used as such. The young people of the neighborhood who are light as to hearts and heels, often assemble, here and dance all care and sorrow away, enjoying not only the exhilarating pastime, but the weird surroundings and the plutonarian scenery about them. 
Mason's Cave is sometimes called the Cave of Adullam, so named for the one mentioned in Scripture, sought by King David as a place of refuge from Saul and his enemies, and whither "every one that was in distress, and every one that was in debt, and every one that was discontented gathered themselves unto him, and he became a captain over them." The modern Boone township Adullam is well known throughout the State. It is thus mentioned by Prof. J. G. Broadhead, in his Geological Report of 1857:
On Sac river, in the northwest part of Greene county, we find a cave of beautiful interior, with two entrances, one at the foot of a hill, opening toward Sac river, forty-five feet high and eighty feet wide. The other entrance is from the hill-top, 150 feet back from the face of the bluff. These two passages unite. The exact dimensions of the cave is not known but there are several beautiful and large rooms, lined with stalagmites and stalactites, which often assume both beautiful and Grotesque life-like forms. The cave has been explored for several hundred yards, showing the formations to be thick silicious beds of the lower carboniferous formations.
Capt. Nathan Boone, son of Daniel Boone, the old Kentucky pioneer, was one of the first settlers of Boone township, located in the heart of the ash grove a large grove of timber, lying mostly in sections nine and sixteen, in which the principal timber is ash and walnut. Nathan Boone's sons were James, John, Benjamin and Howard. The Boones came here in 1834. It was Nathan Boone and his brother, Daniel M. Boone, sons of old Daniel Boone, who game up the Missouri in 1807, to where is now Howard county, and manufactured salt at what afterwards came to be known as "Boone's Lick." The popular conviction is that the old Daniel Boone himself, gave his name to "Boone's Lick" and the "Boone's Lick country," when the fact is that he never owned salt springs in Howard County, and never even resided in that settlement. Old Nathan Boone died in 1856, and is buried in this township a mile and a half north of Ash Grove, with no monument to mark his resting place, and only one or two books to keep his memory green in the minds of Missourians. It was for Nathan Boone that this township was named, and perhaps this will prove, a more lasting monument than a shaft of marble or brass. 
William and Thomas Caulfield and Alfred Hosman were also early pioneers in the grove. Josiah Burney came from North Carolina, and at an early date settled in this township. Wm. G. Sumners came to the township from North Carolina in the fall of 1834, and after temporarily locating at the Walnut Grove, came to what is now Boone township, and settled in sections fifteen, thirty and twenty-four.
Other early settlers were Thos. G. Barham, John C. Johnson, William Haralson, William Tatum, Silas Grantham, R. K. Boyd, John Rush, James Cox and John McElhanon. The latter came from Bedford county, Tennessee, and settled in the ash grove in 1835. Boyd, Rush and Cox lived on the west side of the grove. James Dunn settled on Clear creek, on section eleven. Michael Welsh was an old settler, who lived on Clear creek, in section three. Peter Ooley located on section five, at an early day. Some families, named Johnson, lived in the eastern part of Leeper prairie city 1835.
The oldest settler now (March, 1883) living in Boone township is Thomas G. Barham, who says that the first child born in the township was John C. Johnson, whose birth occurred in the fall of 1835. The first death was that of Thomas Hancock, who lived in the eastern portion of the township, and died in 1836. William Tatum, a Baptist, held the first religious services. Dr. Constantine Perkins was the first regular located physician. John H. Tatum was the first school teacher, and the first school house was built near Lotspeich's, in the eastern part of the township. The first goods sold in the township were by Howard and John Boone, at the old Boone homestead.
Dr. Constantine Perkins settled on Clear creek in section four, and had a mill there, probably the first in the township, long known as McElhanon's & Perkins' mill. Perkins went to California on the breaking out of the gold fever in 1850, and died there. The second mill put up in the township was on the Sac, about the year 1848.
Jesse Mason, a Hardshell Calvinistic Baptist preacher, came to the township before 1840, settled on the Sac, and was one of the first preachers living in the towns. The first Baptist church organized in the township was what was known as the Ash Grove church. It was first organized at the Spring school house. The first regular pastor was Thomas J. Kelley. A sort of shed was put up for the purpose of holding meetings, and stood near the present Ash Grove church. 
Rev. J. E. B. Justice came from Kentucky in 1843, and settled on section 14, where he lived two years and then removed to a farm which had been improved by William Conrad and Lewis Hospers, two Germans who had come to the place in 1840. Conrad and Hospers were the pioneer German settlers of that part of the county, and erected a distillery, on a small stream, which is still known as the Dutch Branch. Peter J. Nicholson, in 1842 came to Greene county from Washington county, Indiana, and settled in the southern part of Boone township.
A few months since there died in this township Wm. Haraldson, an old pioneer, and just before his death the oldest living settler in Boone township, Greene county. Now Mr. Kindred Rose, of Campbell township is probably the oldest settler of the county, and Mr. Barham, before mentioned, the oldest in the township. Mr. Haraldson was a native of Tennessee, and at the time of his death had reached the extraordinary age of 96 years.
MISCELLANEOUS TRAGEDIES AND CASUALTIES.
Among the tragedies and casualties not elsewhere noted that have occurred in Boone township, may be mentioned the killing of Wm. H. Dabbs by Henry Cooper, near Ash Grove, August 23, 1877. The killing was done with an old musket and was an accident. Both Dabbs and Cooper were personal friends.
February 14, 1876, James B. Bresby, a little boy of nine years, and a son of Joshua Bresby, went to water the horses, and was found soon after lying speechless. The little fellow lived but five hours afterward, and it was thought he had been thrown from a horse.
July 23, 1881, in Ash Grove, George Tucker and Paschal Tucker shot and killed one John Sewell. There had been trouble between the parties, and after the close of a public meeting in Ash Grove, they met on the street, drew their pistols and began firing. Sewell was shot twice in the head. The Tuckers escaped.
The cyclone of a year or two since is vividly remembered. It came from the southwest and struck Greene county near Stony Point. The Baptist church was blown down, and the storm passed on to Ash Grove, where it did some damage and demolished a number of buildings on the road. Center school house, three and a half miles from Ash Grove, was torn down. Fayette West's house was demolished, and a school teacher at the house was badly burned by being thrown on the stove. 
The town of Ash Grove is located in the southern part of section 21 30 24, and is an important station on the Gulf railroad. It is already the center of an extensive trade. The surrounding country is generally fertile and easily and cheaply cultivated, yielding good crops of all kinds of grain, vegetables and fruit. East of town is a fine rolling prairie, in which almost every acre is under fence, and in good state of cultivation. On the west side is timber land, and a short distance off Sac river bottom, where are many excellent farms. Lead was first discovered several years ago, but until recently not in sufficient quantities to pay for working. Now strikes have been made, and it is probable, judging from the developments thus far, that the lead mines of Ash Grove will prove to be very valuable, and will of course add largely to its income.
The first settler on the present site of Ash Grove was Joseph Kimbrough, who established a store here in 1853. The first dwelling was built by Mr. Kimbrough. Afterward the business at the store was conducted by Sheppard & Kimbrough. Then a Mr. Hyatt established a blacksmith shop, and the store and the smithy comprised about all there was of Ash Grove until after the close of the civil war.
February 2, 1870, the town was incorporated by the county court, but this incorporation was defective, and in May, 1871, the court reincorporated "the town of Ash Grove."
The town is surrounded by a very rich agricultural country. It has a peculiarly favorable position for growth and prosperity, as the town is the nearest railway station for the wealthiest portions of Polk, Dade, Lawrence and Cedar counties. Ash Grove is twenty miles from Springfield, on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf railroad, and, has a population of 600 inhabitants, which is receiving constant accessions, not only in the "natural way," but by new comers. The town is regularly laid out, with graded streets, and has many fine business blocks. It is beautifully situated on gentle undulating ground, the business portion being in a charming valley. There are many beautiful private residences on the rising ground above the city and overlooking it. The citizens are wide awake to the growing advantages of their town, and are as enterprising and progressive as one could meet in a month's travel.
There is in Ash Grove a very fine public school house, of the most modern construction and elegant architecture. There is a corps of four teachers, well qualified for their positions, and the attendance is large. The school is considered one of the best in the State.
The following figures of shipments made over the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf railroad from Ash Grove station will give an idea of the capabilities of the town as a shipping point, and show how great the volume of business must be. The figures are for the year 1880:
Stock 304 cars
Grain 511 cars
Lead 42 cars
Zinc 24 cars
Walnut lumber 22 cars
There is a region of rich, fertile, black soil a mile west of Ash Grove on each side of Sac river, which can be bought at reasonable cost. Some very fine farms are located near. A large part of these lands is under the control of the land department of the St. Louis and San Francisco railroad. 
The Ash Grove Baptist church is situated on lot number 2, and was organized May 28, 1859. The original members were Alfred Hosman, William Burney, John Rush, Rebecca Rush, Marion Burney, and Eliza J. Killingsworth. The church is a frame building, and was built in 1871, at a cost of $907. It was dedicated in January, 1875 by Rev. J. S. Buchner. The pastors that have served this church have been Elders Thomas J. Kelley, J. W. White, James Hill, J. S. Buckner, and B. McCord Roberts. The present membership is 70.
CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
This church was organized March 22, 1868. The original members were A. R. Clinton, Louisa M. Clinton, A. M. Appleby, L. Appleby, J. W. B. Appleby, J. L. Hamilton, Mary Hamilton, Sarah T. Hamilton, M. R. Hamilton, Wm. Potter, M. S. Kelly, M. J. Lloyd, Sarah Lloyd, John Reynolds, L. P. Brown, Sarah Brown, Leander Smith, Miss Crockett, and others. The church is a frame building and was built in 1882, at a cost of $2,250. It was dedicated by Rev. Adkinson. The pastors that have served this church have been R. J. Sims, J. W. Garrett, Rev. Guthrie, G. W. Brown, Rev. Cole and J. P. Campbell. The present elders are A. M. Appleby, J. L. Hamilton and A. E. Clinton. 
GIDEON P. BALAY. Mr. Balay was born in Greene county, Kentucky, July 9th, 1818. He is the son of Perry and Tomsey (Warren) Balay. When he was about ten years of age his parents emigrated to Johnson county, Indiana. Gideon moved to Marion county, Missouri, in 1839, but only remained in that section of the State a year, and then removed to Cole county, where he remained until 1866. He then moved to Greene county and settled permanently. He now owns a fine farm two and a half miles southeast of Ash Grove. Mr. Balay held the office of constable, for four and one-half years, of Boone township. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church at Ash Grove. He was married June 16th, 1843, to Miss Eliza A. Hightower, of Patrick county,Virginia. Their union has been blest with thirteen children, five of whom are dead. Their family is one whom every one respects, and no man in Greene county enjoys the confidence of his neighbors to any greater extent than Mr. Balay. During the war he was chairman of the Home Guards of Cole county. His oldest son John, was killed in Arkansas by a band of bushwhackers. He was a Union soldier, defending his country from the advances of the Confederates.
B. H. BOONE, (deceased). Mr. Boone was the grandson of that famous pioneer, Daniel Boone. His father, Col. Nathan Boone, was Daniel's youngest son, and an officer in the regular U. S. army from 1812 until the time of his death, in 1855. His son, B. Howard Boone, was born in St. Charles county, Missouri, March 16, 1814, and was educated in the common schools of that county. He came to Greene county in 1836, and lived here until 1868. He was married in 1840 to Miss Mary E. Stallard, of St. Charles county. Their union was blest with five children, three of whom are still living, viz.: Joseph, Charles and James. Mr. Boone, after leaving Greene county in 1863, was engaged in the hotel business in St. Louis, but shortly after he moved over to Illinois, remaining but a few months, and then returned to St. Charles county, Missouri. He is a Mason, in good standing, and helped organize the lodge at Greenfield, Missouri. He died February 7, 1866. His estimable wife survives him, and is now living at Ash Grove with her son, J. D. Boone. J. D. Boone was married in 1867 to Miss A. E. McClure, of St. Charles county. Their marriage has been blest with six children, four of whom are living, viz.: Edna G., Laura B., Mary E. and Joseph D. Mr. Joseph Boone remained in St. Charles county two years and returned to Greene in 1869. He moved to Montgomery county in 1874, where he lived five years, returning to this county in 1879. He and his wife are at this writing, keeping the popular Grove House at Ash Grove.
A. BUTTRAM. This gentleman was born in Cass county, Missouri, October 12, 1848. His father, Jacob Buttram, was a Kentuckian, and came to Cass county, this State, in 1847. His mother, Elizabeth (nee Burnett) Buttram, was born in Virginia, and is still living at this writing. Abram Buttram was educated in Barry county, and followed farming after leaving school till he took the mail contract between Walnut Grove and Springfield in 1880, which he filled up to December, 1882. In October, 1882, he went into the livery business at Ash Grove with Mr. I. J. Kelly, and they are doing a good business. January 29, 1865, Mr. Buttram was married to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Joshua and Rhoda Owen. They have had five children, of whom only two are living at this writing. Mr. Buttram is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and his wife belongs to the Methodists. During the civil war Mr. Buttram was in government employ at Springfield, driving post teams. 
WARREN C. CRANE. This gentleman is the son of Joseph W. and Olive (Chatfield) Crane, and was born in Medina county, Ohio, May 16, 1840. His father emigrated from Massachusetts to Ohio about the year of 1820, and settled in Sharon township of said county. His mother was a native of Now York, but married in Ohio. They had nine children, viz.: Tryphena C., Warren C., Corydon G., Mary, Charles A., Martha, Henry L., Willis G., and Etta M., all of whom are living save Corydon, who died in 1862 in Ohio, aged eighteen. Tryphena C. is the wife of J. P. G. Bentley, the leading merchant and banker of Ash Grove; Charles A. is engaged in the lumber business at same place; Willis G. is a harness-maker at same place; Etta M. is the wife of J. W. B. Appleby, cashier of the bank and salesman for T. F. G. Bentley, Warren O. Crane, the subject of this notice, lived in Ohio until 1854. He then engaged in the photographing business for two years. Then, with a cousin, he took a drove of five hundred sheep to Minnesota where he lived for about two years, when he came to Springfield Missouri. He returned to Ohio, and with his brother, Charles A., brought out a drove of fifteen hundred sheep, being ninety days upon the road. After selling his sheep he went out to Chetopa, Kansas, and sold groceries for about a year. In 1870 he came to Ash Grove and sold goods for J. F. G. Bentley for nine years. In 1879 he embarked in business for himself at Ash Grove, selling furniture, agricultural implements, and sewing machines, in which he had no competition. He was married January 20, 1866, to Miss Lucy Wright, of Dade county, Mo. This union has been blest with one child, Mabel Olive, born November 29, 1876. Mr. Crane is regarded as one of Ash Grove's most enterprising business men, and a thorough gentleman.
THOMAS N. CULBERTSON. Mr. Culbertson was born in Greene county, Tennessee, August 26, 1849. When he was three years old his parents came to Greene county, Mo., bringing Thomas N. with them, and here he grew up, receiving his education in the common schools. He began life as a farmer, and is still engaged in that worthy calling. In July, 1882, be purchased the place where he now resides, containing 200 acres of fine land, well improved, and part of it in a high state of cultivation and productiveness, His farm lies one mile and three-quarters: mouth of Ash Grove, and ranks among the very best in the township. Mr. Culbertson was married January 26, 1879, to Miss Nancy J. Hammond; she died, however, in July, 1880, and the next year Mr. C. married a second time, his last wife being Huldah R. Hammond, a sister to his first wife. The great-grandfather of Thomas N. (whose name was alsoThomas Culbertson) was a soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. Culbertson has one child, a son, by his first wife, named Everette, born July 22, 1880, just before the death of his mother.
J. P. CULBERTSON was born in Burke county, North Carolina, July 28, 1826. He went to Tennessee in 1848, and resided in Greene county, that State, till his coming here in 1852. He first entered land in Center township, where he remained till 1869, when he changed to Boone township, and again entered land. He enlisted in the army on the side of the United States in 1862, and fought the rebellion for about a year. After the war he returned to this county where he has ever since lived. Mr. C.'s parents were Thomas and Martha Culbertson, both, North Carolinians by birth. Mr. C. was married August 26, 1848, to Miss Mary A. Rincor, a native of Tennessee, who died in this county April, 1879. They had six children, five of them still living at this writing. Though Mr. Culbertson owned many slaves before the civil war, he was, on principle, an abolitionist of decided views; and he gave up his slave property under emancipation with that patriotic spirit always so becoming to loyal citizens. 
H. S. DUNCAN was born in Morgan county Tennessee, July 8, 1843. In the spring of 1846, he removed with his parents to Lawrence county, and there received his education in the common schools. His parents were Dennis K. and Melinda (Hope) Duncan, the former of whom died in 1850, and the latter in 1866. He entered the Confederate service in 1861, and took part in many of the principal engagements of the West, including Lexington and Lone Jack. In 1863, he was taken prisoner and sent to Richmond. After the war he returned to Lawrence county and engaged in school teaching. Coming to Greene county, he taught school here for two years during 1869-70. In 1871, began merchandising, but taught again in 1872-3. Soon after this, he began merchandising with Mr. W. T. Chandler, at Ash Grove, where his business interests still are at the present writing. Mr. Duncan was elected registering officer of Boone township in 1872, and was mayor and member of the council when Ash Grove was incorporated. At the election in the fall of 1872, Mr. Duncan, on the Democratic ticket, was elected to the office of county collector, by a good majority over his Republican opponent. Mr. Duncan was married October 12, 1871, to Miss Mollie C. Robbins, daughter of Harvey Robbins, deceased; Mrs. D.'s parents were also from the State of Tennessee. Four children have been born of this union, three of whom still survive. Mrs. Duncan is a member of the Baptist church, and it is one of her prime objects in life to rear her children in a manner becoming to Christian parents.
J. K. P. DUNCAN. Squire Duncan is the son of Dennis K. and Malinda (Hope) Duncan, and was born in Roane county, Tennessee, June 1st, 1845. His father came to Lawrence county in 1846, and lived there several years, and then took a trip to Arkansas, where he died. His mother died in 1865. J. K. P. Duncan attended his first school in Greene county, James Van Bibber being the teacher. He was educated principally, however, in Lawrence county and an early age commenced farming, which has been his occupation ever since, with the exception of two years spent in Texas. Mr. Duncan is one of the most prominent citizens of Boone township, having been a justice of the peace for eight years and deputy assessor two years. He was a candidate for the Legislature in 1880. He purchased the farm where he now resides in 1874. It is two miles south of Ash Grove, and consists of one hundred and twenty acres of fine land, most of which is under cultivation. Mr. Duncan was married December 28, 1865, to Mary E., daughter of Josiah Mason, Esq. She was born May 7th, 1842. Their union has been blest with eleven children, viz.: Wm. H., born October 26th, 1866; Tennessee M., born February 24, 1868; Josiah H., born May 26th, 1869; Mary C., born October 19th, 1870; Mattie, born February 16th, 1872; J. K. P., born June 2d, 1873, and died September 26th, 1873; Edward W., born March 26th, 1876, and died May 27th, 1877; Rosa, born July 3d, 1876, and died November 17th, 1876; Cinderilla, born November 25th, 1877, and died February 8th, 1879; Cora A., born January 6th, 1880; and Hale S., born March 21st, 1882. Mr. Duncan and wife are members of the Sac river Baptist church.
W. P. ELSON. Mr. Elson was born in Shark county, Ohio, September 8th, 1837. He was educated in the common schools and at Mt. Union College at Alliance, Ohio. He taught school for a time and then embarked in the mercantile business for a number of years. He moved to Greene county, Missouri, in 1866, where, by strict attention to business, economy and perseverance he has accumulated a magnificent property, owning some five hundred acres of choice lands two miles east of Ash Grove. Mr. Elson was married in 1875 to Miss Elizabeth C., daughter of S. P. Frame. Their union has been blest with three children, two boys and one girl. Mr. Elson's father was John Elson, and his mother was Miss Osee Wilson, a daughter of Douglas Wilson, of Ohio. They are still living at Waynesburg, Ohio. His ancestors were from Virginia, and W. P. Elson's grandfather, John H. Elson, was a captain in the war of 1812. Mr. Elson is a thorough-going successful farmer, having been one of the first to introduce into the county the celebrated merinc, sheep, which breed he successfully rears. 
HON. FRANKLIN T. FRAZIER, (deceased). Franklin Tennessee Frazier was the third child of Julian and Elizabeth Frazier who reared a family of thirteen children. He was born near Knoxville, Tennessee, March 16, 1810. He grew to manhood upon his father's farm, and was educated at Paris, Tenn. He was married the first time to Maria J. Crawford, when he was twenty-three years of age. That union was blessed with five children, viz.: George W., Thos. M., Wm. J., James M., and Samuel L. His first wife died June 4, 1847, and he was married the second time, April 26, 1848, to Miss Malcena Boone, daughter of Col. Nathan Boone, of this county. By this marriage there are four children, viz.: Constantine C., Nathan B., Laura J., and Franklin T. Mr. Frazier was elected to the State Senate in 1858, and was one of the ablest members of that body. He met with the Legislature called by Gov. Jackson, at Neosho, and voted in favor of the secession ordinance. He was a member of Gov. Jackson's staff at the battle of Wilson's creek, and then went with the army to Arkansas, and lived in Fayetteville until 1863. He then went to Collin county, Texas and lived there until September, 1866. He then returned to Missouri and lived in Saline county, until 1867, and then returned to the farm he settled soon after coming to the State, and where his widow still lives. He carried on farming upon a large scale, and no man in the county stood higher in the regard of the people than he. He was always an unswerving Democrat,never proved recreant to any trust committed to his care. He died upon the old homestead, December 16, 1881, in his seventy-second year and was buried in the family burying ground upon the home place by the Masonic fraternity, of which he was a member.
THOMAS D. GLOVER. Mr. Glover is the son of Samuel and Ellen (Metzger) Glover, and was born in Vermillion county, Indiana, September 8, 1881. His father was born April 8, 1802, in Ohio, and died December 25, 1872. His mother was born in Pennsylvania, June 21, 1803, and is now living at Perryville, Indiana. Thomas D. was educated in the common schools of his native county, and at an early age commenced the occupation of farming, which he has followed to the present time. He came to Greene county, Missouri, in October, 1866, and purchased the farm upon which he now resides, one mile and a half south of Ash Grove. He has by strict frugality, industry, and perseverance, made a splendid farm, and is well fixed to enjoy the fruits of his labor, and is one of the best farmers in the county. Mr. Glover was married February 29, 1866, to Miss Indiana, daughter of Jonas and Mary Craig Metzger. They have had ten children, of whom only two, Eliza and Elias, are living.
JAMES G. GRANTHAM. This gentleman was born in Washington county, Indiana, February 23, 1828. His father was Silas Grantham, a native of North Carolina, and his mother was a Miss Nicholson, They removed to Illinois about the year 1885, where they lived a year and then removed to Montgomery county, Indiana, and lived there until James was about twelve years of age, and then emigrated to Missouri. James G. was educated in the common schools of Indiana and in Greene county, Missouri. He has followed the occupation of farming all his life, except a short time spent in blacksmithing. When the "gold fever," broke out in 1850, Mr. Grantham, with several of his neighbors, went to California and spent four years in mining with varying success. He returned to Dade county, Missouri, in 1854, and bought land upon which he lived until 1860, when be moved to Greene county, and engaged in farming. He enlisted in the Home Guards at Springfield. He went with them to Rolla and remained there until just before the battle of Pea Ridge, where he received two severe wounds, which came near rendering him totally disabled. He was then mustered out and returned to Greene where he has since lived. He has a fine farm of three hundred and twenty-one acres of land in this part of the county. Mr. Grantham was married November 18th, 1849, to Miss C. Robinson. Their union has been blest with two children, Sarah, born November 22d, 1864; and James W., born April 14th, 1858. Mrs. Grantham is a member of the Baptist church. 
JUDGE WILLIAM P. HAWKINS. Judge Hawkins is the son of Henry and Anna (Majors) Hawkins, and was born July 13, 1816, in Grainger county East Tennessee. His grandfather came to Tennessee from Prince William county, Virginia. His father was reared in Tennessee, and his mother was a native of Sullivan county, same State. They had ten children, viz.: Elizabeth, Catherine, Sarah, Matilda, Priscilla, Susan, Stephen, Henry, William P., and Madison, all of whom are dead, save Susan, Priscilla, William P., and Madison. William P., grew to manhood in the State of his birth, upon his father's farm. At the age of twenty he sold goods for Gen. Brazelton, at New Market, Tenn., for three years. He was then married on the 6th of June, 1839, to Elizabeth M. Barnett, of Cocke county, Tenn. He farmed for five years, and then emigrated to Dade county, Missouri, where be farmed two years. He next moved to Stockton, Cedar county, Mo., and sold goods for Wm. Jones for two years. He traveled over the country, selling goods to the Indians and the soldiers at Fort Scott in the year 1852. In 1853 he sold goods at Caplinger's mill. In 1854, in partnership with James Frazier, he sold general merchandise at Stockton until the breaking out of the civil war in 1861. The judge being a Union man suffered somewhat at the bands of the Confederates. In 1868 he was elected probate judge of Cedar county, and became ex-officio, recorder and deputy county clerk. He served about one year and then removed to Ebenezer ten miles north of Springfield, in Greene county, where he and his brother Madison sold goods for two years. In 1866 he moved to Ash Grove, and in partnership with Joseph Aumoth and Calvin Kraft, under the firm name of Kraft, Aumoth & Co., did a general merchandising business for three years. Then, with his son Henry, and son-in-law, O. A. Crane, he sold goods for two years in a house where the now brick store-house of Wilkerson & McCray now stands. Since that time the judge has not been actively engaged in business. He and his wife have been blessed with eight children, viz.: Ada Ann, who died at Stockton, Mo.; Henry, a physician and druggist of Ash Grove; Cornelia, wife of James Smith of Texas; Swan P. Burnett, who died in August, 1858; Thomas J., of Ash Grove; Sarah, wife of C. A. Crane, lumber dealer; William J., a farmer of Greene county, and Benjamin F., a merchant of Ash Grove. The judge is still in fine health, and enjoys the esteem and confidence of all. He is courteous and affable, and endears himself to those who meet him. His brother T. J. M. Hawkins, represented Stone county in the Legislature a few years since. Mrs. Hawkins is of North Carolina stock, and is a very estimable lady.
THOMAS J. HAWKINS. This gentleman was born July 6th, 1847, in Tennessee, but his parents emigrating to Missouri when he was two years of age, he grew up and was educated in Missouri. They first stopped in Dade county, but shortly afterward removed to Cedar. They lived in Cedar until 1864, and then moved to Greene county, where he has since lived. He was educated chiefly at Stockton, Cedar county, and after coming to Greene he followed farming until 1874, when he served an apprenticeship in blacksmithing, and opened a shop of his own in 1876. He has built up a good trade, and is one of the substantial men of Ash Grove. He commenced running his shop in connection with Mr. Daniel Murray's wagon shop in, 1881, and they do excellent work, and are deservedly successful. Mr. Hawkins was married, in 1874, to Miss Sarah, B., daughter of John Tyler, one of Greene's early settlers. Their union has been blest with one child, William L. 
ALFRED HOSMAN. Mr. Hosman was born in Loudoun county, Virginia, August 2, 1810. His parents moved to Fayette county, Kentucky, when Alfred was about eight years of age. They soon after moved to Scott county, Kentucky, where his father, Esaias Hosman, died in 1831. His mother died in 1848. Alfred was the youngest child and was educated in the home schools of Fayette and Scott counties. He was married in Scott county, Decomber 23, 1830, to Miss Martha H. Cox, who died August 9, 1839. They were blest with four children, one son and three daughters, viz., Sarah A., born January 1, 1881; Nancy B., born November 26, 1834; James W., born December 6, 1836, and Martha H., born June 24, 1839. Mr. Hosman came to Missouri in 1841, where be married the second time to Miss Mary O. Boone, of Boone township, Greene county, Missouri. She was the ninth daughter of Nathan Boone, the youngest child of the famous Daniel Boone. This marriage was blest with thirteen children, viz.: Mary F., born July 22, 1842; Olive A., born February 9, 1844; Daniel B., born February 12, 1846, and died February 22, 1852; Nathan B., born April 16, 1847, and died January 8, 1848; Mahala P., born November 25, 1848, and died June 16, 1852; Charles L., born, November 10, 1850; Sanford E., born May 8, 1863; John B., born May 5, 1866; Thomas A., born June 4, 1857; Luther A., born, August 31, 1869, and died, September 25, 1859; Joseph K., born September 22, 1860, and Robert L. and Belle P., born June 3, 1866. Shortly after his second marriage, Mr. Hosman moved back to Kentucky and lived upon the old homestead, and remained there till the death of his mother, when he came back to Greene county, Missouri, and lived upon his farm till 1863, when the unsettled condition of the country during the civil war caused him to remove his family to Howard county in September of that year. In March, 1864, he moved to Illinois, and lived near Bloomington until December, 1866, when he come back to Missouri, and lived in Springfield about two years, and then moved to where he now lives in Boone township. He carries on farming upon a large scale, and is one of the first citizens of the county. He is probably one of the oldest master masons in the county. He was made a member of Benevolent Lodge, No. 58, in Fayette county, Kentucky in 1848. Mr. Hosman has served as school director for many years, and has been a leading member of the Baptist Church since 1850.
J. H. HUDGINGS was born in Monroe county, Tennessee, February 26, 1851. His parents were William and Mary Hudgings, and they came to Greene in 1864, where the subject of this sketch grew up and was educated. Early in life he began farming, and that has been his vocation since. In 1874 he came in possession of the place where he now resides, three and a half miles southeast of Ash Grove. The farm contains eighty acres of fine land under good cultivation, and well improved. He was married January 5, 1878, to Miss Judith Spraggins, who was born February 7, 1854. Her parents were William and Sophronia Spraggins, who were natives of Alabama. Mr. and Mrs. Hudgings were blessed with two children, Ethel, and Marcia A. Mr. Hudgings and wife are members of the Baptist church and stand well in the regard of all who know them.
I. J. KELLY. This gentleman is a son of T. J. Kelly, a native of Tennessee, who came to Missouri in about 1830 and settled in Polk county, and was one of the pioneer Baptist preachers of this part of the state. He came to Greene county in 1858. The subject of this sketch was born in Polk county, February 16, 1849. His mother was Jane (nee Lemon) Kelly, also a native of Tennessee, and still resides in this county. Mr. K. received his education in the common wheels of this county, and at an early age began farming, which has ever since been his chief vocation. In October, 1882, he and A. Buttram opened a livery stable in Ash Grove, since which time his interests have been identified with that town. He was married December 23, 1866, to Miss Mary L., daughter of James Bradley, of Lafayette county, Mo. Mr. Kelly and wife have three children,all living at this writing,named Matilda, John, and Polly, respectively. Both Mr. and Mrs. K. are members of the Baptist church. 
JUDGE CHARLES H. LIKINS. Judge Likins is the son of William and Sarah (Squibbs) Likins, and was born June 13th, 1828, in Green county, Tennessee. His parents were natives of that State. They reared a family of four children, viz.: Charles H., Hannah, Elvina, and George S., all of whom are yet living save Elvina, who died in 1875. She was the wife of L. B. Whinrey, of Greene county, Missouri. Mrs. Likins, the mother of this subject died in 1840, and is buried at the old Quaker church burying ground, in the county of her birth. His father married the second time to Rachel Horn, also of Green county, Tennessee. That union was blest with two children, viz.: James and William, both living. They moved to Greene county, Missouri, in October, 1843, and settled about six miles south of the present site of Ash Grove, upon the Sac river. He lived there about twenty-nine years, when he moved to Lawrence county, Mo., near the Chalybeate spring, where he still resides. Judge Likins grew to manhood in Greene county, Missouri. He received his education in Tennessee, and carried on farming until he was twenty-two years of age, when he learned the hatter's trade under his father, working at the trade for five years. He then bought a mill known as the Harrelson Mill, and milling has been his occupation ever since. He was married the first time to Miss Amanda H. Gray, November 4th, 1860. This union was blest with but one child, Amanda H., who is the wife of John Sisk, living near Ash Grove. His first wife died in September, 1861, and is buried in the cemetery at John's chapel. At the beginning of the war Judge Likins opposed secession, and became a pronounced "Union" man. When Gen. Sterling Price occupied Greene county he went to Fort Scott and became a scout for Col. Judson, of the Sixth Kansas, for four months. The next November he volunteered in the regular U. S. service in the 8th Missouri cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He was in the battles of Prairie Grove and Little Rock, and in many small skirmishes. He returned to peaceful life in 1866, and on the 14th of October, 1866, he was married to Miss Eliza Jane Adams, of this county. By this marriage they had four children, viz. : Emma Elizabeth, Charles D., John L. and James W., all living except Charles D., who died in March, 1879. His last wife died in March, 1878, and is buried at John's chapel.
Being a leading Republican, possessing the confidence of his party and his friends, he received the nomination of that party for associate justice of the county court for the western division of Greene county. His opponents were W. C. Garoutte, Greenbacker, and Columbus Headley, Democrat. Judge Likins was elected by a plurality of 170. He served two years, and was renominated and re-elected. His opponents were O. Headley, Democrat, and Grenwade, Greenbacker. His plurality was 216 votes. Judge Likins served his county well and faithfully, making a record that will be a proud heritage for his children. He was urged to run again, but declined because he did not wish to antagonize himself with his friends by being forced to levy the tax to pay the railway bonded indebtedness. He is a large land-owner, and a partner in the Likins mill. The judge is conservative in politics, and is regarded as one of Greene's most substantial and upright citizens.
JOHN B. MARSH was born in Greene county, East Tennessee, January 6, 1852. He is a son of James and Deliah Marsh, the father being a man of considerable prominence, who was born in Tennessee in 1802, and died in Greene county, Mo., in 1865. John attended the schools of his native county in boyhood, and in 1866, came out to this county, remaining the first time but little over a year. Returning to Tennessee, he attended college there until the spring of 1869, when he went to Washington county, same State, and engaged in farming until the fall of 1870. After clerking awhile in a store in Tennessee, he went to Dalton, Georgia, and there was similarly engaged. He then returned to his native State, but made only a short stop, when he emigrated to this country, in 1871. The next year he went back to Tennessee to "fetch his bride," and was married to Annie R. Dobson, daughter of Rev. J. B. Dobson. They are the parents of six interesting children, four boys and two girls. Mr. Marsh has served as constable and deputy sheriff, and still holds the latter, having been appointed in 1878. He was engaged for two years in the mercantile and livery business in Ash Grove, but now, after a varied life has moved, in 1880, on the old homestead four miles southeast of Ash Grove, and is engaged in farming. He is both a Free Mason and an Odd Fellow in good standing in each order. 
JAMES McCRORY. Mr. McCrory is the son of William and Mary (Hubbard) McCrory, and was born in Wilkinson county Mississippi, in 1829. His father was born in Ireland, December 26, 1792, and died in Wilkinson county, Mississippi, in 1843. His mother was a native of Tennessee, and died in 1829. James was educated in the common schools of his native State, and was engaged in farming until his removal to Louisiana. He remained there until 1867, most of the time farming in Catahoula parish. He then came to Missouri, and stayed a year in Saline county, and then removed to Greene and located where he now lives, three miles east of Ash Grove, upon a fine farm of one hundred and seventy acres. He has been engaged in farming and stock raising ever since. He was one of the first in his section to help organize a grange in 1874. Mr. McCrory was married in 1855 to Miss Moss, daughter of George Moss, Esq., of Wilkinson county, Mississippi. Mrs. McCrory died Febuary 14, 1868. They reared a family of three children, all of whom are married and living in Greene county
ALFRED M. McGOWN. This gentleman is the son of Luther and Mary F. McGown, and was born August 10, 1860, in Greene county, Missouri. His father was a native of Tennessee, and died near Ash Grove, Mo., in November, 1860. His mother was a native of Kentucky, and is still living five miles southwest of Springfield. Alfred was educated in the common school at and near Ash Grove, and as soon as large enough began farming, which has since been his occupation. His parents moved to Illinois when he was a small boy, where they lived several years in McLean county. Returning to Ash Grove, Alfred farmed for about ten years five miles southwest of Springfield, and in July, 1882, he purchased a farm of forty acres of land three miles south of Ash Grove. He was married November 23, 1879, to Miss Martha A. Wood, daughter of Benjamin Wood, Esq., formerly a farmer near Springfield, who died during the war. Her mother was Nancy E. Abney. Mrs. McGown was born March 15, 1826, in this county. They are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and enjoy the confidence of all. They are blessed with two children, Myrtle B., born November 22, 1880, and Estella P., born Febuary 27, 1882.
THOMAS MURRAY. Mr. Murray was born in McMinn county, Tennessee, July 8th, 1825. He was educated in the common schools of Monroe county, Tennessee, and followed the occupation of farming until his emigration to Arkansas in 1848. He came to Greene county Missouri, in December, 1850, and took up a tract of government land. He sold out in the spring of 1852 and crossed the plains to Oregon, and went from there to California and followed mining for two years with varying success. He then wont back to Tennessee and stayed a year and then returned to Greene county, Missouri, and purchased the place upon which be now resides, about two miles southeast of Ash Grove. He has a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres in his home place, besides a tract of one hundred and seventy-nine acres on Sac river. Mr. Murray was married November 16th, 1856, to Miss Nancy E. Small. She died March 12th, 1876. Their union was blessed with eight children, four of whom are now living. Mr. Murray was married the second time, December 3d, 1876 to Miss Sarah, daughter of Edward West. They have two children. He and his wife are consistent members of the Baptist church. In making a home for himself in Greene Mr. Murray endured many of the hardships of pioneer life, and now enjoys the profits of his early labors. Mr. Murray's father, Renne Murray, was a native of North Carolina, born May 26th, 1801. His mother was Miss Annie Elliott. 
DANIEL MURRAY. Mr. Murray was born in county Down, Ireland, October 12th, 1864, and was educated in the common schools of that country. He emigrated to America, landing at Castle Garden in January, 1870. He soon after came to St. Louis, but remained only a short time, and then went to Potosi, Washington county, Missouri, where he served an apprenticeship at wagon-making. In the fall of 1874, he went to Dade county and set up a shop at the Pemberton mines, which he ran a year and then came to Ash Grove and opened a shop, and does a good business. He is the patentee of the now adjustable vehicle wheel, for wagons and buggies, by which a wheel can be set to any grade or dish desired. It is a most useful invention and likely to come into general use everywhere. Mr. Murray's parents are yet in Ireland. He has one brother in Manchester, England, and one in Baltimore, Maryland. Mr. Murray is a member of the Knights of Labor.
W. H. MURRAY. Mr. Murray was born in this county, March 30th, 1858, being the eldest son of Thomas A. and Nancy E. Murray. He laid the foundation of his education in the common schools of the country, and at the age of seventeen entered Drury College, at Springfield, where he completed his education. On leaving school, he taught one term of school in Greene county, after which he began farming and continued till July, 1880. He then, in connection with his father went into the grain business, under the firm style of Murray & Son, and have done a large grain shipping business from Ash Grove since that time. In November, 1882, Mr., Murray was elected justice of the peace for Boons township, which position he fills in a becoming manner, though few younger men than he have ever so served the public. He was married October 23, 1879, to Miss Fannie, daughter of James McCrory, an old citizen of Greene county. Mr. and Mrs. Murray have two children, named Nora and Ethel, the former born August 26th, 1880, and the latter, December 24th, 1881. Mr. Murray is a member of the A. O. U. W., and also of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
J. J. MURRAY was born in Monroe county, Tennessee, March 1, 1841, and is the son of Renne and Rebecca Murray. He was educated in the common schools of his native county, and at an early age commenced farming which has been the occupation of his life. . In 1868, he removed to Bartholomew county, Indiana, where he lived until the fall of 1864. He then moved to Iowa, and stopped in Lucas county, near Chariton. He lived there until 1876, when he removed to Greene county, Missouri, and bought a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres of land about one- and-one-quarter miles south of Ash Grove. He was married February 25, 1866, to Miss Clara Henry, of Lucas county, Iowa. Their union has been blest with three children, viz.: Renne A., born June 15, 1867; Zorn A., born May 7th, 1870; and Almira E., born January 80, 1872. Mr. Murray is a member of the I. O. O. F. and he and his wife are members of the Baptist church, and at present, he is deacon in that church. Mr. Murray is one of the successful farmers of his section, and respected by all.
CHARLES MANNEL. Charles Mannel was born in Prussia, November 15, 1832, where be was educated and learned the tinner's trade. He came to America in 1853, and settled at Quincy, Illinois, where he lived until 1868, and then went to St. Louis. He worked at his trade in that city until 1869, when he came to Springfield. He was in business there two or three years, and then came to Ash Grove and engaged in the hardware business, and also carried a large stock of tinware. He has built up a splendid trade, and is one of the best merchants in the place. Mr. Mannel was married in 1858 to Miss Annie Smickle, of Cairo, Illinois. They have three children, two girls and one boy. Mr. Mannel is one of the substantial citizens of the county, and is held in high esteem by all. 
WILLIAM MURRAY. This subject is a native of McMinn county, Tennessee, born, June 24, 1829. His parents were Renne and Anne Murray, the former a native of North Carolina, born May 26, 1801, and living in Greene county at this writing. When William was a small boy his father removed to Gibson county, Tennessee, where his mother died. From thence they moved to Monroe county, where William was chiefly educated. He came West in 1852, and crossed the plains to the gold country (California) where he remained over two years, returning to Tennessee, in the fall of 1854. In 1856, he came out to Missouri, locating in Greene county, and the next year purchased the place where he now resides in Boone township. He has added to his original purchase from time, till he now owns a fine farm of 860 acres, and is one of the best and most successful farmers of the township. He was married March 8, 1853, to Miss Melinda Stone, a native of Tennessee. Her father was James and her mother Meriline (Browder) Stone, both of Tennessee. Mr. Murray and wife have nine living children, named: Thomas J., Mahala E., William B., Harvey, Melinda J., Sarah B., Mary B., Charles and George. Both Mr. Murray and wife are members of the M. E. Church South. The land, now comprising Mr. M.'s farm, was an unbroken wilderness when he first came to the county. He has, however, by perseverance and industry, improved it into a splendid homestead, and has 160 acres of it under fence, the most of which is in a high state of cultivation.
A. H. MURRAY. Mr. Murray was born in Gibson county, Tennessee, January 11th, 1832. He learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed about twelve years before his coming to Missouri in September, 1881. He embarked in the hardware business at Ash Grove, and has gradually increased his stock until now, besides a general and complete stock of hardware, he has added both dry goods and groceries to his stock, and his store is one of the leading houses of Ash Grove. He was married December 28th, 1862, to Miss M. J. Patten, also of Tennessee. She was a daughter of Wm. and Jane Patten. Their married life has been blest with six childreia, viz.: J. T., John W., Wm. R., Margaret A., Anna J. and Henrietta. Mr. Murray enlisted in the Confederate army in 1861, and was at the battles of Perryville, Champion Hill, Grand Gulf and the siege of Vicksburg, where he surrendered July 4th, 1863. He came out of the war without a scratch. He is an old-time Democrat and steadily adheres to the principles of that party as taught by America's greatest statesmen. Mr. Murray is a Mason in good standing and himself and wife are members of the Presbyterian church. For the length of time he has been in business at Ash Grove he has made rapid strides to the front as one of the safe, reliable merchants of the county, and no man stands higher in the confidence of the people.
DR. A. J. NORRIS. This gentleman was born in Lincoln county, Kentucky, June 24, 1886. When he was but six years of age he walked three miles to school. The doctor says his teacher knew the front part of the spelling book, but stuttered so badly the scholars could hardly understand him. He also states that in four days he mastered the alphabet, which had been cut out of the book and pasted upon a shingle for his especial benefit. He was then taken sick and lay upon a bed of pain for four years and arose a cripple for life. He then went to school a short time, and at the age of seventeen he began teaching school, which he followed for fifteen years. When the civil war came on he enlisted in the 19th Kentucky Volunteers, United States Infantry, and served for nine months when he was discharged for disability. He then entered the secret service and served as a spy for eighteen months. He then assisted in raising a battalion of cavalry, known as the Hall's Gap Tigers, with which he served until the close of the rebellion. He was in several hard fought battles and skirmishes, including the sanguinary battle at Perryville. At the close of the war he attended school in Illinois and resumed the occupation of teaching. He went to Kansas in 1867 and taught school in Council Grove, read medicine, and in 1870 went to Fayetteville, Arkansas, where he read law three years, taught school and prosecuted claims against the government. He then turned his attention to one branch of the medical profession, viz.: Ophthalmia. The doctor moved to Ash Grove, Greene county, Mo., in 1876, where he fitted up a hotel, known as the Empire House. To use his own words, he is "an oculis@ hotel-keeper, livery stable boss, notary public, real estate and insurance agent, a Greenbacker in good standing, practices law for exercise and preaches for fun." He is a whole-souled, genial gentleman and one of the substantial citizens of Greene county. 
JOHN G. PERRYMAN is the son of Benjamin and Sarah (Wood) Perryman, and was born December 13th, 1821, in Rutherford county, Tennessee. His father was a Tennessean and his mother a native of Virginia. They had nine children, viz.: Thos. J., Jacob G., Owen Wood, Benjamin F., Jane, Louisiana, Martha and Harriet, four of whom are now living. John G. is the oldest of the nine children. He came with his father to Greene county, Missouri, 1837, and settled in the northern part of the county upon Grand Prairie. He lived with his father upon the farm until he was twenty years of age, when he learned the blacksmith trade, and carried on the business for fifteen years in this county. He then abandoned it for farming and stock-trading, which he has carried on until the present. In the year 1871 he bought the old Hosman homestead, adjoining Ash Grove, where he now lives. Mr. Perryman married the first time, August 10th, 1848, to Miss Mary Lemon, by whom he had six children four of whom lived to be grown, viz.: Jacob L., Owen Wood, Sarah and James G. His first wife died in November, 1860, and is buried at Cave Spring, this county. He married the last time Cassandra Gresham, of Dade county. By this union he was blest with seven children, viz.: Mary, Burton, Nancy, Emma, George, Walter and Lura, all of whom are now living. Mr. Perryman owns one of the best farms in his section, well stocked, in a high state of cultivation, and the best orchard in the township. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church at Ash Grove. He is regarded as one of Greene's most substantial citizens, and is a gentleman of integrity.
PETER PIPER. Mr. Piper was born June 18th, 1810, in Pickaway county, Ohio, and is the son of Philip and Sarah (Gay) Piper. His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. Piper removed to Vermillion county, Indiana, in 1838, and followed farming until 1872, when he came to Greene county, Missouri, where he has since resided. Mr. Piper has been married five times. His present wife was Miss Jane, daughter of Jesse Hines, Esq., of Kentucky. Although Mr. Piper is in his seventy-third year, he is hale and vigorous as a man twenty years his junior. He has seen many changes come over the land since his youth, and yet has promise of many years to come. One of his sons is a prominent farmer near Ash Grove.
HENRY C. RUBY was born in Sangamon county, Illinois, July 16, 1842, receiving his education in the common schools of that county, where he grew to manhood. His parents were S. S. and Mary Ruby, the former a native of Knox county, Indiana, and the latter of Franklin, Kentucky. His first business venture was that of mining in Dade county, Mo., in 1874, where be was quite successful. He continued there till 1880, then came to Ash Grove and opened a first-class restaurant and boarding house. In July, 1867, he married Miss Elizabeth Simpson, who was born in St. Clair county, Illinois, September 5, 1842. They have four children, two sons and two daughters, named, Mary L., born January 4, 1869; Clyde, born November 8, 1872; Myrtle, born January 22, 1878, and Charles, born February 6, 1882. During the civil war Mr. Ruby enlisted in the government service in September, 1861, joining company I, of the 7th Ill. Cavalry, under Col. W. P. Kellogg, and served till mustered out, November 8, 1865, during which time he was once taken prisoner. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., himself and wife both belong to the C. P. church, of which denomination Mr. B. is a local preacher. 
JOHN TURNER, ESQ. The subject of this sketch is the son of John and Mary (Williams) Turner, and was born in Maury county, Tennessee, April 2,1809. His parents were natives of North Carolina, but emigrated to Tennessee in 1806, where they lived for about six years, and then removed to Kentucky in 1812, and settled in Logan county, where John Turner, sr., died. His widow survives her husband thirteen years, and died in 1825. They were buried in the Turner family burying-ground in Logan county near the Tennessee line. They had twelve children, all of whom lived to be grown, save one little girl, who died in infancy. Their names were, Elizabeth, Archibald, Charles, Thomas, Sarah John, William, James, Henry, Joseph, and Elijah. John, this subject, grew to manhood in Kentucky upon the old homestead, working upon the farm until he was sixteen years of age, when, upon his mother's death, he went to Tennessee and lived with his relatives until his marriage. He was married November 6, 1828, to Miss Nancy Price, of Robinson county, Tennessee. By this union they had three children, viz.: Mary Jane, Nancy Fisher, and James William. His first wife died November 18, 1855, and is buried in the county of her birth. His oldest daughter married Samuel A. Doss, and the younger married J. C. Howard, of their native State. Mr. Turner, with his sons-in-law and his daughters, moved to Missouri in March, 1856, and settled in Greene county. He bought a farm three miles east of Ash Grove, from Silas Grantham in 1857, which he still owns. He was married the second time to Mrs. Nancy B. Seward, of Lawrence county Missouri, on the 7th of December, 1856. This union was without issue. His last wife died November 2, 1881. He was elected a justice of the peace in 1857, and served four years. At the breaking out of the war, Squire Turner being above the regulation age for soldiers, took his wife, together with his and his sons'-in-law negroes to Texas, so as to be practically out of the war. He lived in Collin county, Texas, for four years, and returned home in October, 1866. He lived upon his farm until 1877, when he rented it out, and moved into Ash Grove, where he still lives. He is now in his seventy-fourth year, hale and hearty, and has promise of years yet. He reared an orphan girl, Mary E. Oasteel, who still lives with him. He began life poor, but, by perseverance and economy he has amassed a handsome competence. He is a member of the Baptist church, and is respected by all as an upright Christian gentleman.
ALBERT T. WEIR. Mr. Weir is a native of St. Clair county, Missouri, born, December 29, 1848. He was educated in the common schools, remaining in the county of his birth till the civil war. His father was Samuel and his mother Lettle (Compton) Weir, the latter having died in 1862. Early in the war, Mr. Weir was burned out by a marauding party from Kansas, and in the fall of 1861, the youthful Albert, then but thirteen years old, enlisted in the Confederate service and fought till the surrender at Shreveport, in June, 1865, having participated in many hotly contested battles. He was on Shelby's raid through, Missouri, and was three weeks in the saddle day and night. At the close of the war, Mr. Weir spent eight months in Tennessee, and returned thence to Callaway county, Missouri. In 1869, he came to Greene county, where he engaged in blacksmithing for five years. He then purchased a farm in Boone township and has ever since followed the vocation of a former. He now owns two good farms, one containing 160 acres, and the other 100 acres. Mr. Weir was married December 16, 1869, to Miss Laura J., daughter of ex-Senator Frank T. Frazier, of Greene county. They have a family of three girls and two boys. Mr. Weir is at present, a popular salesman in the dry goods house of Wilkerson & McCray, though be resides just north of Ash Grove. He is a Freemason of good standing, and belongs to lodge number 486, A. F. & A. M., at Walnut Grove. 
H. H. WEST. Mr. West was born in Grainger county Tennessee, Feb. 21, 1839. He is the son of Edward and Elizabeth (Gilmore) West. His parents emigrated to Missouri, when he was in his first year, and settled in Greene county. He was educated in the common schools of this county, and was engaged in farming until the fall of 1862, when he enlisted in the Confederate army, and remained in the service until the surrender in 1866. He was in the engagement against Steele on the Saline river, and in many skirmishes, but escaped without a scratch. When the war closed, Mr. West went to Cooper county, this State, and remained three years. He returned to Greene in 1871, and has, by integrity, economy and perseverance accumulated a fine property. He owns one hundred and ninety acres of land three miles southeast of Ash Grove. He was married in October, 1872, to Miss Martha Hudgens, daughter of Wm. Hudgens, of Greene county. She died August 16th of the following year. Their union was blest with one child, Willie E. Mr. West was married the second time, to Miss Laura, daughter of John Van Horn, of Jefferson county, Ohio, October 14th, 1880. She died August 12, 1881. Mr. West is a member of the Baptist church at Sac river.
JACOB WHITE. Mr. White was born in Putnam county, Indiana, January 24, 1886, being a son of Edwin White, a native of North Carolina, who died, however, in Greene county. When Jake was about nine years old, his parents moved to Iowa, where the subject of this sketch was educated. On leaving school, Mr. White engaged in farming, which vocation he followed in Iowa till he came to Greene in 1868, and settled in Boone township. In 1878 be purchased the place where he resides at this writing, four miles southeast of Ash Grove. His farm is a well cultivated tract of land. November, 1878, he married Miss Nancy J. Sparks, who was born February 24, 1887. They have one son and one daughter. Mr. White's grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in Greene county, January 31, 1882. Politically Mr. White is a Democrat, and always votes the straight ticket of the party to which he belongs. 
Next Chapter | Table of Contents | Keyword Search
History of Greene County Home | Local History Home