Description — First Settlements — The Town of Brookline — Churches — Masonic Lodge — Republic — Churches — Miscellaneous — Biographies of Old Settlers and Prominent — Citizens of Brookline Township.
Brookline township comprises the north thirty sections of Congressional township 28, range 23, and the south twelve sections of township 29, same range. When the township was organized, in January, 1873, the metes and bounds were defined to be a line commencing at the northeast corner of section 1, tp. 28, range 23; thence south to the southeast corner of section 25; thence west to the southwest corner of section 30; thence north to the northwest corner of section 6 thence east to the northeast corner of section 1, the place of beginning—all in township 28, range 23. Subsequently the sections in township 29 were added. The township was named for its chief town.
In the northern and western portions of the township there is considerable prairie land, some of which is very excellent, and there are many fine farms. Some of the timbered tracts are rough and unproductive. No doubt there is a great deal of valuable mineral land in this township. In January, 1875, both lead and zinc were discovered a mile south of Brookline. Three men took out a ton and a half of zinc. Considerable mining has been done here and in other parts of the township, and ought to be continued in a more thorough manner and on a more extensive scale. The resources of Brookline township, like those of many another bailiwick in Southwestern Missouri, are very imperfectly developed.
It was on portions of sections 23, 24, 25 and 26, in township 28, in Brookline township where the battle of Wilson's Creek was fought. Many of the present citizens of the township resided here at that time, and have a vivid recollection of that memorable day.
In congressional township 28 of Brookline, the first settlers were Thomas Hazeltine, who came in about 1834, and settled on section 4; John McCall, of Tennessee, who came also to section 4; N. D. McCall, from Tennessee, to section 3; Joel Phillips, of Tennessee, to section 2; Wm. Herrington to section 9; Thomas Dodd, to section 7. John Boyd settled on section 17, and was the first on the prairie in that quarter. Other pioneer settlers were Wm. Kerr, L. Robertson, Ben. Hagewood, Magruder Tannehill, Thomas Dodd, and Henry Small. These settlers came in at different periods, from 1834 to 1849.
The first school of any sort within the present confines of the township was taught by David Boyd, in Mr. Haseltine's barn. It was a subscription school and Mr. Boyd received a dollar a scholar per mouth. The first resident physician remembered is Dr. R. C. Prunty, now living in Wilson township. 
February 25, 1878, John R. Williams, living a few miles south of Brookline, and an old citizen of the township, was hauling a load of wood. The mules he was driving became frightened at a hog and ran, throwing Mr. Williams from the wagon and fracturing his skull. He died a in a few days, aged 64.
Mrs. Margaret D. Boyd is now (March, 1883,) the oldest inhabitant of Brookline township. Her age is 88. She has been living at her present home since 1849, and has been a resident of the State for more than 70 years.
The oldest burying around in the township is situated on what is now known as the Lindsey Robertson farm, section 20.
THE TOWN OF BROOKLINE.
The town or village of Brookline stands on the west half of section 2-28-23. It was laid out by the railroad company upon the completion of the road to this point, in the fall of 1871. The first building was erected by T. M. Mills, in October of that year. It was a store and dwelling house combined. Then John Potter built a store and dwelling, and soon other houses went up, churches followed, and the town became what it is.
The village contains two general stores, a drug store, a grain elevator, a school house on the east line of town, three churches—Cumberland Presbyterian, Congregational and Baptist—and a population of perhaps 150. It is a station on the "Frisco" railway, and there is here a good switch and other conveniences. A great deal of shipping is done from this point, and it is of great convenience to the people in the region around about.
Brookline is about ten miles west of Springfield, and is surrounded by a gently undulating and beautiful prairie. The soil is fertile and when thoroughly tickled with a hoe laughs with an abundant harvest. The zinc and lead mines near the town, though only partially developed, are of an important character. In 1875 these mines were in good working condition, and a great deal of both lead and zinc were shipped. The shipments from this station that year of grain and mineral were reported to be 48 car loads of corn, 150 car loads of wheat, 74 car loads of zinc, and 242,441 pounds of lead. Of course, this did not include other articles of produce, etc. 
Since the completion of the railroad three men have been killed near Brookline. In 1872, an engineer accidentally shot himself at the Winfield crossing, about one mile and a half north of town. He was on his engine at the time, and seeing some prairie chickens, he caught up his gun to shoot them, when the weapon was accidentally discharged, and the unfortunate man was instantly killed.
In the spring, of 1881, Frank Root, a brakeman, was killed near the town. The particulars of his case are to be found elsewhere.
In the spring of 1882, a tramp, named A. J. Dobbs, was killed while stealing a ride on a freight train. This happened at the water tank, about a mile south of town.
CHURCHES IN BROOKLINE TOWN.
The Cumberland Union. This church was first, organized in the spring of 1841. The original members were: C. Ward, M. M. Chapman, E. Langston, P. Martin, W. G. Perkins, J. P. Steele, Y. A. Anderson, J. A. Chapman, J. P. McCorkel, Mary Thompson, E. McCorkel, M. M. McCorkel, E. Thompson, Thos. L. Bone, E. Bone, N. M. Bone, J. D. King, Mira King, M. W. Sims, Margaret Sims, Mary Steele, Jonathan Carthel, Rebecca Steele. The first church building, a frame, was built in 1867; the present, also a frame, was completed in 1881, at a cost of $2,500, and dedicated June 5th, of that year, the dedicatory sermon being preached by Rev. R. V. Atkisson. The pastors that have served the church have been: Revs. C. C. Williamson, —McKenzie, R. J. Simms, David Amos, J. N. Edmiston, J. C. Sheppard, T. R. Henderson, and the present pastor, Rev. J. B. Fly. Mr. Edmiston died within a few days after preaching his first sermon. This church, is now in good working condition, is financially healthy, and the interest felt, is in every respect very good. It employs its pastor all of his time. Present membership, 90.
Baptist Church. The Union Baptist Church of Brookline, was organized in 1862 (?) at Little York (then a hamlet of a few houses, about two miles a little south of west of the present site of Brookline), the original members being Charles McCluer and wife, T. D. and wife, Joel Phillips, J. Gartner, Mr. Craney, H. Small, Henry Hill and wife, Mr. Cribbs, Mrs. Letter, Ruth Phillips, W. Fain, and Wm. Phillips. The latter gentleman was the moving spirit in the first organization. The church building, a frame, was erected in 1872, and cost about $700. It was built by subscription, but many of the subscribers proved poor paymasters, and the building was sold by the carpenters who had built it, and to whom the church was indebted for work done. The structure was redeemed by Mr. Charles McCluer, and given to the church. The pastors have been John D. Shelton, Geo. Long, Abram May, Thos. Balcom, Wm. Phillips, George Black, Elisha Clark, and Solomon Forrester. The present membership is 22.
First Congregational Church. This is, comparatively speaking, a new church, for its organization did not take place till on the first day of June, 1880. The number of original members was 102. For want of space the names have been omitted, although kindly furnished. The church is a frame structure. It was erected in the year 1882, at a cost of $2,300, and was dedicated by Rev. James Harwood, D. D. The pastor of this church is John Vetter. There has been one other church organized from the members of this church, by withdrawal by letter, in an adjoining town. The present membership is 59.
Relief Lodge No. 341, A. F. and A. M., was instituted by R. W. J. Y. Fulbright, D. D. G. M. The charter is dated October 13th, 1870. The charter members were J. W. Wilhoit, F. W. Laker, John H. Young, Townly Rose, H. A. Noe, M. B. Loyd, M. T. McCluer, W. B. Searcy, A. N. Green, B. L. Noe, A. G. Mount, and L. F. Tatum. The first officers were J. M. Wilhoit, W. M.; W. B. Searcy, S. W.; F. W. Laker, J. W.; M. B. Loyd, treasurer; J. O. Dollison, secretary; L. F. Tatum, S. D.; J. H. Young, J. D.; A. G. Mount, tyler. The present officers are W. B. Searcy, W. M.; J. P. Steel, S. W.; Townly Rose, J. W.; John Potter, treasurer; S. F. Gibson, secretary; Peter Blackwell S. D.; P. G. Perkins, J. D.; L. M. Shankle, S. S.; L. T. Robertson, J. S.; J. M. Green, tyler. The lodge was organized and worked in the Cumberland Union church, until about January 1st, 1882, when the present hall was purchased at a cost of $300. It is situated over W. T. Adams' store. The present membership is 31.
The village of Republic is situated at about the center of the eastern line of section 19 (28-23). It is located in the midst of a rich, thickly populated, and well settled prairie, and has an excellent local trade. It is a station on the "Frisco" railroad, and a well known shipping and trading point. 
Republic was built after the completion of the railroad. The first building was put up by W. H. Noe, and was a store house; then H. A. White built a store and hall. The first dwelling house was erected by John Summer and Rev. Lopin. The second was by Dr. Bartlett. The railroad company refused to build a depot or a switch for the accommodation of the people, until the village and the surrounding country raised $1,000 and put in the switch. This was done by subscription. The project was set on foot and carried to success by Mr. W. H. Noe, to whom the town is very largely indebted, not only for its advantages, but perhaps for its very existence. Mr. Noe's name and fame are coexistent with those of the town.
At present (March, 1883), Republic contains two general merchandise stores, two drug stores, one hardware and agricultural implement house one shoe shop, three blacksmith shops, a livery stable, two grain houses, a good grist mill with three run of burrs, two churches—Baptist and Congregational—and a population of 150. Sometimes one of the churches is used as a school house.
CHURCHES OF REPUBLIC.
Congregational. The Congregational church at Republic was organized in the month of September, 1876. The original members were P. L. Anderson and wife, Edward Howell, Phoebe Tibbetts, W. S. McCleary and wife, Arminta Criswell, Mary Hackett, Mrs. J. F. Brooks, Minnie Smith, and Hattie Brooks. The church building was completed in September, 1880, at a cost of $2,000, and dedicated in the same month by Rev. Robert West, at that time president of the Home Missionary Society. Its pastors have been Rev. S. G. Elliott and N. M. Wheat, the latter the present pastor. The present membership is 40.
First Baptist Church. This church was organized June 11, 1874, by Elder J. M. Lappin, and is situated in Republic on section, 20, township 28, range 23. The original members were W. B. Searcy, W. H. Harrison J. P. Youngblood, A. E. Searey, T. J. Harrison, P. A. Youngblood, Anna Newberry, Celia Stamps, and Ella Decker. The church is a frame building, built at a cost of $1,200. It is beautifully located and is out of debt. The pastors that have served the church have been Eld. J. M. Lappin, Eld. J. W. Burgess, Eld. Z. T. Eaton, Eld. Geo. W. Black, and Eld. D. T. Balcom, each of whom served one year. The present pastor is Eld. S. Forester. The deacons are W. B. Searcy and J. P. Youngblood. The present membership is 36. 
PETER L. ANDERSON. This gentleman is the son of James and Hetty (Looney) Anderson, and was born in Marion county, Tennessee, July 28th, 1820. He grew to manhood in his native county, where he received his education. In 1850 he moved to Missouri, and reached Greene county the 6th of December. He rented land upon which he raised six crops, and then, in 1856, he purchased his present farm from a Mr. Rose, where he has since lived and added many valuable improvements. Mr. Anderson was married in Marion county, Tennessee in 1887, to Miss Martha Hollaway. By this union there were five children, viz.: Hetty, Wm. H., John, Zaney and Elijah, three of whom are living. His son Wm. H. was a member of Kelsoe's cavalry company in the regular service, U. S. A., and was taken prisoner in Newton county by some men who were disguised as Federal soldiers, and was never heard of afterwards. It is supposed he was put to death by his captors, as no word or trace of him ever reached his friends. Mr. Anderson's first wife died in January 1853. He was married the second time in December, 1865, to Mrs. Sarah Luce, of this county. Their marriage was blest with four children, viz.: Alexander, Henry, George and Martha Jane. Alex. died in 1880. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Congregational church at Republic. He is a member of the Greenback party, and is an honored citizen of the county.
JAMES WILSON BISHOP, M. D. Dr. Bishop is the fourth son of David F. and Eunice (Wilson) Bishop, and was born at Derby Centre, Orleans county, Vermont, May 27th, 1828. He leaned toward the medical profession, when quite a child interesting himself in the anatomy of all animals killed upon the farm. He received his education at Oberlin, Ohio, and began the study of medicine under Dr. Baxter of that place, where he took one course of lectures. He practiced one year, and then entered Ann Arbor medical school, graduating in the class of 1854. He then resumed practice at Tower Hill, Shelby county, Illinois, where he lived six years, and then removed to Story county, Iowa,, remaining there in active practice for thirteen years. He then took two courses of lectures at the Keokuk medical college, where he graduated in medicine, surgery and therapeutics. He returned to Story county, Iowa, and resumed practice, but at the end of eight months he came to Greene county, Missouri, and located for the practice of his profession at Republic, making a specialty of obstetrics and diseases of women. He was married in Williams county, Ohio, February 22d, 1850, to, Miss Mary Meade. Their union has been blest with three children, two boys and one girl. The doctor is a Mason in good standing and a most agreeable gentleman.
WILLIAM PARISH CAMP, M. D. is the son of William G. and Lucy C. (Foster) Camp, and was born in Hawkins county Tennessee, March 22d, 1841. His parents emigrated to Greene county, Missouri, when was quite young. At the death of his father, the family being poor upon account of unfortunate ventures, he was thrown upon his own resources, and set about fitting himself for the profession of medicine. He worked upon the farm in the summer, went to school in the winter, and soon began teaching which he successfully carried on until the breaking out of the war. He enlisted at the first call for troops in Phelps' regiment, and served until Phelps' term expired and then re-enlisted under Colonel Geiger,—8th Missouri cavalry,—and served until the end of the war. At the battle of Prairie de Han the doctor was put in command of his company, and received a dangerous wound in the right side. He was transferred to an ambulance corps, where he had fine opportunity to study medicine and surgery. At the end of the war he came home and resumed teaching, and attended college as his means would allow. He practiced for sometime in Arkansas, and as soon as he had acquired money sufficient he took a regular course of medicine, graduating from the Missouri medicines college in 1875. He then located at Ozark, Christian county, where he practiced three years. He then settled permanently in Brookline where he has built up a large and lucrative practice, and where he enjoys the confidence of all. He was married August 15th, 1880, to Miss Alice O'Bryant. Their union has been blest with one child, Fred. O. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. He is a member of Relief Lodge No. 341, A. F. and A. M. The doctor is Republican in politics and generally liberal in all questions. 
WILLIAM CLIBORNE. Mr. Cliborne is the son of Jubal and Charlotte (Williams) Cliborne, and was born in Tennessee, January 30th, 1820. He was reared upon a farm in Tennessee, and in 1851, he emigrated to Missouri, settling in Greene county, where he has since resided. When he reached here, game was abundant and the settlers never knew what it was to be without fresh meat. As late as 1860 a large herd of deer passed over Mr. Cliborne's farm. When the war of the rebellion came on he was elected second lieutenant of Captain V. Abernathy's company of Home Guards. After the battle of Wilson's Creek, a party of rebels went to Mr. Cliborne's house and put a rope around his neck and threatened to hang him, because they said he had signed a petition for the Dutch soldiers to come to the county. They released him upon the condition of his leaving the country. He went to Rolla, but returned with the army. He suffered at the hands of both armies who "pressed" his stock and feed. Mr. Cliborne was elected justice of the peace in 1860, and served until 1876. He was a soldier in the Black Hawk war. He was married the first time in Monroe county, Tennessee to Miss Drucilla Ann Gilbreth. That union was blest with four children three of whom are living. He was married the second time, in March, 1855 to Mary Logan. They have three children, two boys and a girl. Mr. and Mrs. Cliborne are Methodists, and he is a Democrat in politics. He gave the first ground for the town site of Republic, and is a gentleman who takes active interest in the good of the county.
WILLIAM W. COOVER. Mr. Coover is the son of S. H. and Catherine (Wilhelm) Coover, and was born at Vandalia, Montgomery county, Ohio, September 16, 1860. His parents moved to Iowa, and settled near Muscatine in 1857, where they lived about nine years, and then came to Springfield, Greene county, Missouri, where his father was a contractor and builder for some time. William was educated in the common schools of the county. His first mercantile employment was with Sheppard & Co., in Springfield. After being in their employ three years, they put him in charge of a stock of goods at Brookline, he receiving one-third of the profits. In 1875 he, with his father and John Potter, sold goods for themselves at the same place. In 1878, Coover moved to Republic, and opened the same line of goods in partnership with M. P. Johnson, a commercial traveler, who continued to travel, and Mr. Coover managed the business. At the and of three years that partnership was dissolved, and now Mr. Coover owns the whole business. Besides his merchandizing Mr. Coover deals largely in grain shipping last year about one hundred thousand bushels of wheat. Mr. Coover was married December 27, 1876, to Miss Mary E., daughter of S. F. Gibson, of Brookline. Their union has been blest with one child, Samuel Clyde. Mr. Coover is one of the staunch business men of the county, and enjoys an enviable reputation. 
THEODORE F. CRISWELL. This gentleman is the son of Gregory and Sarah (Baer) Criswell, and was born in Stark Ohio, November 30, 1844. He was educated in his native county, and upon the 7th of August, 1862, enlisted in Company B, 115th Ohio volunteer infantry, in the army of the Cumberland, under Gen. "Pap" Thomas. He was mustered out July 6, 1865, at Cleveland, Ohio. During the war he participated in the battles of Stone River and Block House. In April, 1867, he, with his brother, H. G. Criswell, came to Greene county, Missouri, and bought the Sharp farm, which was the Wilson's Creek battleground. Previous to engaging here in farming, he taught school in Lawrence and Christian counties of this State. In March, 1874, they sold the Sharp farm and purchased and moved to their present home, two miles north of Republic, upon the Mt. Vernon and Springfield road. It is a splendid farm containing one hundred and eighty-seven acres. Mr. Criswell was married February 4, 1869, to Miss Arrimba, daughter of Thomas Greene, one of the old settlers of Greene county. Their union has been blest with two sons and two daughters. He and his wife are members of the Congregational church at Republic. Mr. Criswell's parents are yet living in Stark county, Ohio. They had ten children, two daughters and eight sons, Theodore F., being the third child.
REV. THOMAS D. FAIN. This gentleman is the son of Jesse and Nancy (Doil) Fain, and was born October 24, 1821, in Johnson county, Illinois. He was educated in the common schools of his native county. In June, 1866, he came to Greene county, Missouri, and lived near where Brookline now is until the close of the war. In 1866 he moved to Lawrence county, where he remained until 1879, when be returned to this county and purchased a small farm. Mr. Fain was licensed to preach by the Baptist church in 1865, by George Long, moderator, and Wiley W. Fain, clerk. He was ordained to preach the third Sabbath in April, 1869 by Elders Elisha Clark and George Young, with T. B. Youngblood, church clerk. Mr. Fain was married in November, 1842, to Miss Nancy Tollor, of Johnson county, Illinois. Their union was blest with four children, three of whom are living. Mrs. Fain died December 22, 1857, and in February, 1858, he was married the second time to Miss Mary B., daughter of William Phillips. They have one son, Calvin C., by this marriage. Mr. Fain joined the Baptist church at the age of eighteen, in Illinois and both his wives were of the same faith. His father was a native of Georgia, and went to Illinois when six years of age, where he died at the age of sixty. His mother was a native of Kentucky, and died in Lawrence county, Missouri. They had eight children, six of whom are living, Thomas D., being the second child.
WILLIAM H. GOTT. This gentleman is the son of Richard S. and Nancy (McChesney) Gott, and was born October 10, 1843, at Van Buren, Ark., while his parents were on their way from Tennessee to Greene county, Mo. In 1852 his parents moved to Lane county, Oregon, where William received most of his education. They lived in Oregon some two or three years, and then returned to Springfield, Mo., where he worked at printing for about three years. At the age of eighteen he joined the militia, and then joined company H, 16th Missouri cavalry, and served about two and one-half years. He was at the battles of Springfield, Jefferson City, Boonville, Independence, and Westport. He was mustered out at Springfield in July, 1866. Mr. Gott was married March 1, 1866, to Miss Almira J., daughter of Thomas Green. They were blest with six children, five girls and one boy, one daughter dying in infancy. Mr. Gott owns a good farm near Brookline, upon Grand prairie, and eight miles southwest of Springfield. He has been a successful farmer, and is one of Greene's substantial citizens. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. 
JUDGE JAMES N. HOSEY. This gentleman is the son of Samuel M. and Sarah (Newell) Hosey, and was born September 25, 1832, in Clarion county, Pa. He was educated at Allegheny college, Meadeville, Pa., graduating in 1866. From 1857 to 1861 he was principal of the academy at Freedom, Pa. In August, 1861, he was made captain of company E, 78th Pennsylvania volunteers, and served two and one-half years with that rank, and in February, 1864, he was commissioned major. He was in the battle of Stone river, and all through Sherman's campaign. After the war he returned to Pennsylvania, and for some time was engaged in the oil business in different parts of the state. In April, 1872, he came to Greene county, Mo., where he has taken rank as one of the best citizens of the county. He was elected associate justice for the western district of Greene county in 1882, upon the Republican ticket, and as county judge is making an enviable record. Judge Hosey was married November 15, 1860, in Pennsylvania, to Miss Lawson. Their union has been blest with nine children, eight of whom are living. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church. The judge's father is a native of Clarion county, Pa., and is still living. His mother died in 1851. They had six sons and two daughters, James N. being the oldest.
EDWARD HOWELL. Mr. Howell is the son of Benjamin and Nancy (Bishop) Howell, and was born in South Hampton, Long Island, June 20, 1824. When he was about twelve years of age his parents emigrated to Michigan, and settled in Wayne county. He grew to manhood in that county and has always followed farming. He received his education in Long Island, and in Wayne county, Michigan. He came to Missouri in December, 1870, and stopped in Audrain county until the following May, when he moved to this county, and lived in Springfield nine months. He then purchased the farm upon which he now lives in Brookline township. He owns one hundred and forty-five acres of the best land in the county, and has the best farm house in his section. Mr. Howell's mother died in September, 1870, in Michigan, and his father died in this county, in 1874. He has been married twice, the first time to Miss Leona Moore, in 1849. This marriage was without issue, Mrs. Howell dying in the fall of 1849. Mr. Howell was married the second time to Mrs. Jane M. Tibbets. This union has been blest with four children, all of whom are living. He is a member of the Congregational church at Republic. He is Republican in politics, and has always acted with that party. No man in Greene county stands higher in the estimation of the people than he, and all regard him as one of Greene's most substantial citizens.
WILLIAM McCLEARY. Mr. McCleary is the son of Joseph C. and Margaret (Smith) McCleary, and was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, March 31st, 1840. He was educated at Liberty academy, Virginia. He emigrated to Iowa, where he remained four years, and then came to Greene county, Missouri, where he engaged in farming, making a specialty of wheat. His health becoming impaired he moved to Republic, engaging in the hardware and agricultural implement business. There was no station upon the road where Republic now stands when Mr. McCleary first came, not even a switch. He has been largely instrumental in building up the town, and had a highway established to Springfield. He was married the first time in Morgan county Ohio, to Miss Annie, daughter of Robert Gray. Their union was blest with three girls, all living. He was married the second time to Eliza K., daughter of David Smith, of Belmont county, Ohio. They have had three children, one boy and two girls. 
WILLIAM H. NOE. Mr. Noe is a son of L. F. and Catherine M. (Holmes) Noe, and was born in Monmouth county, New Jersey. He was educated in the public schools of Livingston county, New York, and followed farming until his eighteenth year, when he dealt in horses for some time, and then he engaged in railroad building, taking charge of the horses used in the transportation of track and building material. After this he became a contractor and builder of railroads, and built first the road from Housatonic to Danbury, Connecticut. He then took a contract upon the old Duchess and Columbia R. R., then upon the Stamford and New Canaan railway, and many smaller contracts upon leading roads. He laid the foundation for the Rockland Print Works, taking a contract to remove seven thousand yards of "hard pan" in thirty days. He finished the work in just twenty days. Mr.Noe made the beautiful and extensive improvements upon the grounds of W. T. Garner, on Staten Island. He then came West, taking contracts and handling stock. He bought land in Greene county, and has one of the best improved farms in this section, stocked with the finest breeds of horses, cattle and hogs. In politics Mr. Noe is a Democrat.
WILLIAM B. O'NEAL. Mr. O'Neal is a son of Jesse and Annie (Brown) O'Neal, and was born March 30th 1841, in Carroll county, Arkansas. In 1861 he enlisted in the 24th Missouri volunteers, Col. Boyd, and remained in the service three years and four months. His regiment was assigned to Gen. Curtis' command, operating in southwest Missouri and Arkansas. He was at the battles of Pea Ridge, Fredericktown and many skirmishes. He was with Gen. Baldy Smith at the charge of Fort De Russy, Sabine Pass, and the various engagements of the Red river expedition. His regiment was at the battle of Wilson's Creek, but was not called into the action. He was mustered out at St. Louis in October, 1864. At the close of the war he located upon a farm in Greene county, near Republic. He was the founder of the town, making the original plat. Besides farming, he has been engaged in general merchandise, and is a large property holder in the town. Mr. O'Neal has filled the office of constable of the township for ten years, and received the Greenback nomination for sheriff in 1878. He was married the first time, August 5th, 1865, to Miss Sophrina, daughter of John Luce, of Greene county. She died August 16th, 1881, and Mr. O'Neal was married upon the 30th of January, 1882, to Elizabeth Hainer, also of this county.
GEORGE WASHINGTON PATTERSON, M. D. Dr. Patterson is the twelfth son of Lewis and Mary Y. (Pearson) Patterson, and was born in Hamilton county, Tenneseee, March 7th, 1850. He was educated at the Sale's creek academy. He was engaged in farming until 1875, when he began the study of medicine under Dr. H. C. Rose, of Rhea county, Tennessee. In 1876 he entered the Kentucky school of medicine, at Louisville, and afterward practiced under Dr. Rose, and graduating from the Nashville medical college in 1878. He then started west, overland, making a short stop at Springfield, Missouri. Then continued west, and when the party got to the head of Clear creek they were stricken with malarial fever. As soon as they were able to travel they went to Newton, Kansas. The doctor returned to Greene county and began the practice of his profession at Cave Spring, where he remained a year and then removed to Bois D'Arc, and in partnership with Dr. E. D. Robinson practiced for a year. He next moved to Republic, where he practiced a year, and then went to Bellevue hospital medical college and graduated in the class of 1881-82, and returned to Republic, where he is gaining the professional reputation he so well deserves.
JOHN POTTER. Mr. Potter was born in Eurzig, Prussia, and emigrated to America in 1857, and located at Jefferson City, Missouri. He moved to Greene county in 1860, locating where Brookline now stands, where he remained until 1862, when he went to Springfield and worked in the government wagon-shops until 1865. Mr. Potter was married upon the 30th of March, 1862, to Elizabeth Phillips. Their union has been blest with four children, one girl, Mary Josephine, and three boys, Frederick William, Lyman Theodore and Roy. Mr. Potter was the first man sworn in Captain Abernathy's Home Guards and his sympathies were always with the Union. When General Marmaduke attempted to enter Springfield in the fall of 1868, he with all the hands of the shop, was called out to repel the attack. At the close of the war he engaged in the manufacture of wagons at Springfield, but at the end of a year removed to Little York, one and one-half miles from Brookline, where he embarked in the grocery business until November, 1871, when he moved to Brookline and engaged in general merchandise. He has been postmaster of Little York and Brookline for sixteen consecutive years, and station and express agent at the depot for eight years. In politics Mr. Potter is a Republican and has the confidence of all. 
JOHN P. STEELE. This gentleman is the son of Richard and Margaret (Grimes) Steele, and was born January 10th, 1822, in Williamson county, Tennessee. In the fall of 1834 he came with his parents to Greene county, Missouri, and settled upon Kickapoo prairie, where he lived with his father upon the farm until he was twenty-one years old. He then went to White river, in Tanney county, where upon April 13th, 1843, he married Miss Jane Ramsey. That marriage was productive of five children, four of whom are living. Soon after his marriage he came back to Greene and settled near his father, where he lived until 1866. He then went to Stone county, where he lived five years, when he came back to this county and settled at Brookline. Mr. Steele's first wife died October 9th, 1858, and he was married again April 19th, 1859, to Martha M. Gibson. By this union they had three children, two are living. Mr. Steele is a Mason and a member of the Congregational church. He was compelled by General Lyon to act as one of the guides to Wilson's Creek battleground. His father was a native of North Carolina, and died in Missouri at the age of eighty-two. His mother died in 1856 upon the old homestead in Greene. They had twelve children, John P. being the tenth. Mrs. Steele is a devout member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and Mr. Steele is one of the most worthy citizens of the county.
HARVEY A. WHITE, M. D. Dr. White is a son of John Wesley White, and was born in the township of Westminster, Canada, November 27th, 1838. His parents moved to Illinois in 1839, and settled in McHenry county, where his father was engaged in milling and merchandising. Harvey farmed until he was twenty-one years of age, and then enlisted in the army, joining at the first call for troops, and continued until discharged upon account of disability. He then went to Chicago, where he was engaged at the carpenter's trade for about four years. He moved to Missouri in the fall of 1866, stopping in Greene county for a short time, and then going to the counties of Christian and Taney, building the Cedar Valley Mills in the last named county, where he was employed in milling and the practice of his profession for about eight years. He then removed to Greene county and located at what is now known as Republic, and took an active part in the building of the town, and was one of its first trustees. He received his medical education in the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati. The doctor was engaged in the mercantile business at Republic for seven years, but closed out in December, 1880, and resumed his profession. He was married in February, 1867, in this county, to Miss Jane, daughter of P. L. Anderson. Their union has been blest with three children, two sons and a daughter. 
Springfield-Greene County Library