Description — Springdale (or Fisher's) Cave — Early History — Tragedies of the Civil War
Clay township includes all that portion of township 28, range 21, that is in Greene county—to-wit, the north thirty sections. It was organized in April, 1859, and named in honor of Henry Clay. Two of the county justices at the time, J. W. Gray and J. R. Earnest, were old Clay Whigs.
The Kickapoo prairie extends into Clay township, and there are some very superior farms here. It is fortunate, too, that so many intelligent and enterprising farmers have located in this township and have made thorough and practical development of its many natural advantages and resources. Some of the best and most progressive farmers of Southwest Missouri have their homes here, and their improved lands grow year by year more valuable.
The James fork of White river—usually called "the James," and sometimes "the Jeems"—flows through the township from northeast to southwest and adds no little to its beauty and general advantages. There are numerous fine springs and some beautiful eaves, and, indeed, much beautiful scenery. For not all of the land is here level and valuable for agricultural purposes, but much is broken and rough and wild, though picturesque. The White river branch of the "Frisco" railway, or Springfield and Southern, has recently been built through the township, and is of great value and advantage to the people. Trains stop at Gallaway, a station established for the convenience of the citizens in the lower part of section 9. 
About six miles from Springfield, on the Springfield and James river bridge road, and on the line of the Springfield and Southern R. R., about three-quarters of a mile above Gallaway station, is a cave of considerable note. From it issues one of the finest streams of water in Greene county and the Southwest, and on account of this spring, it became the site of one of the earliest settlements, having been entered in 1840 by Jacob Painter. During the war it was owned by Benj. Brashears, Confederate soldier and ranger, who is said to have contracted a cold which caused his death while hiding in the cave from his enemies, the Federals. Some time after the war it came into the possession of T. B. Fisher and bore his name until recently.
From Mr. Fisher the present owner, P. F. Vaughan, bought it in November, 1881. It is Mr. Vaughan's intention to add much to the beauty and convenience of the place by setting out evergreens and vines, constructing ponds for fish and boat-riding, clearing, and seating groves to be used by picnic parties, and adding many other attractions.
But the cave itself is and will be the chief attraction. The little valley through which the Springfield and Southern R. R. finds its way to the James is bordered on the east side by an abrupt limestone bluff, into which the cave enters in a northeasterly direction. At the mouth it is about 35 feet wide and the roof is about eight feet above the water, and the water from one to two feet deep. At a short distance from the mouth is the chimney, which is a round hole extending upward some 30 or 40 feet and from the lower edge of which hangs a huge pear-shaped stalactite. About 12 rods from the mouth hangs a group of very large stalaclites, reaching nearly to the water. Groups of various sizes can be seen all along the roof. At about 25 rods from the mouth the cave widens to from 75 to 100 feet, and here is a row of stalactites 30 or 40 feet long, which are beautiful, indeed. At about 25 rods a spring enters from the east side, and here is a singular formation on the floor, reminding one of a huge evaporating pan with its various sections and divisions. A few rods farther the roof suddenly raises to about 15 or 18 feet. In the center of this high roof is a circular group of stalactites arranged as if by a scenic artist, while the edge of the lower roof is draped most beautifully. 
At 40 rods from the mouth there is a natural dam, over which the water falls about 3 feet. Above the fall the cave forks, the right hand branch bearing nearly east, while the left bears nearly north, the water flowing through both branches and uniting just below the fall. Each branch is about one-half the width of the main cave, and the left one is about 7 feet high at the fall and gradually lowers until the "serpent's attitude" ends the exploration at about 90 rods from the mouth. The right or east branch is entered by a mere hole, but it soon becomes wider and higher and then lowers to about 4 feet, which height it holds nearly to the end. At about 10 rods above the fall the water disappears (or rather appears as the visitor ascends the stream) and the cave continues dry to within about six rods of the end, when the water reappears and is remarkably clear. At the extreme end the water comes from the rock and falls about six feet to the bottom of the cave. This fall is 92 rods from the mouth. A boat runs to the first fall, and by lifting it over can be run in the east branch about 10 rods.
Springdale cave will well repay a visit, and if Mr. Vaughan carries out his plans it will be one of the most attractive places in Southwest Missouri. Already it has attained considerable reputation, and the attractions of "Fisher's cave," as it was formerly and is now frequently called, are known to many.
Mention has already been made in the general history of this volume of the settlements that were made at an early date along the James within the limits of this township. The Thompson family was probably the first. Edward M. Thompson came to the county in 1830 and settled south of the James. Chas. A. Haden is one of the pioneers and is prominently identified with the history of the township. Samuel McCorkle, came in from Tennessee in 1839, and first settled in Campbell township, southeast of Springfield. Wm. H. Anderson located here in 1841. A Mrs. Page and family are reported to have located here in 1830 or 1831. This family was of French descent and came from St. Genevieve. Jacob Painter entered the land whereon Fisher's cave is in 1840. 
TRAGEDIES OF THE CIVIL WAR.
The civil war bore hard on Clay township. Its citizens were preyed upon by both armies and much of their property taken and
destroyed. At the same time nearly all of the able-bodied men were in the army as soldiers, on one side or the other.
Not always did the people escape with the loss of their property. Some of the men of the township were inhumanly murdered. The case of Mr. James Thompson is the most prominent instance of this sort, and is fully recorded on another page. (See history for 1864.)
On the night of March 22, 1864, Elijah Hunt, a citizen of this township, was inhumanly murdered by a party of Union, militia. Mr. Hunt was a "Southern man" as the Confederates were called. He was at his home on the evening in question when his murderers came up. One of them went in the house and Mr. Hunt accompanied him to the door, where the miscreant suddenly turned upon him and shot him down.
The same night Joel Dodson, another "Southern man," was murdered, presumably by the same party that killed Hunt. Mr. Dodson was at home, seated at his fireside, playing on a violin. The party rode up, called out, and Mr. Dodson went to the door, with his violin in his hand, and was shot down in cold blood. It has not been learned of what either Hunt or Dodson was accused, except that each was not considered loyal."
JOHN T. CAMPBELL.
'Squire Campbell is the son of Robert and Sarah (Mills) Campbell, and was born in Maury county, Tennessee, May, 1818. His parents were natives of South Carolina, and his grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He lived in his native county engaged in farming until 1850, when he moved to Texas, and in 1853 he moved to Greene county, Missouri, where he has since resided and followed farming. During the war be served in the Home Guards. His oldest son, William, was killed at the battle of Springfield, January 8, 1863, when it was attacked by Gen. Marmaduke. His son John R. served through the war. Mr. Campbell has been a justice of the peace for seventeen years, and has never had a decision reversed by a higher court. He was married in 1889 to Miss Julia J., daughter of William and Mary (Blair) Mack, of Maury county, Tennessee. Her parents were from Virginia, and her grandfather was also a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Squire and Mrs. Campbell were blest with nine children, six of whom are living, John R. M., Mary E., Margaret E., Iantha A., George W. and Ida, all of whom are married. No man in the county is more highly regarded than 'Squire Campbell. 
CALVIN M. CLOUD. This gentleman is the son of William and Rebecca (Mitchell) Cloud, and was born in Hawkins county, Tennessee, June 24, 1820. His father was a native of Virginia, and a soldier of the war of 1812. His mother was a native of South Carolina. In 1887 his parents moved to Jefferson county, Mo., and in 1838 to this county, and settled at the Hunt Spring, where they took a large tract of land. Mr. Cloud, Sr., lived there until 1856, and then moved to California, where he died in 1867. Calvin M. has lived in Clay township since 1838, and consequently is one of the oldest settlers in that part of the county. He was badly wounded by bushwhackers during the war. They were trying to steal some of his horses, and shot him while he was in his own yard. He carries the bullet in his body to this day. Mr. Cloud has held the office of justice of the peace for eight years, and only one of his cases has ever been reversed by a higher court. 'Squire Cloud is one of the prosperous, reliable citizens of the county, and one in whom all have implicit confidence. He was married April 8, 1847, to Miss Kershner, daughter of John and Martha (Amos) Kershner, of Greene county, Missouri. Their union has been blest with ten children, all living, viz.: Susanna F., John J., Mary E., Martha M., Thomas H., Sarah R., Lucy A., William B., Harriet E. and Edward C. Squire Cloud has had twenty-seven grand-children, twenty-five of whom are living.
DANIEL B. GATES. This gentleman is the son of Zebediah and Betsy (Maxon) Gates, and was born in Courtland county N. Y., March 11th, 1836. His mother is the daughter of General Maxon of Revolutionary fame, and his great-grandfather was General Gates, whose name and deeds are familiar to every schoolboy. Mr. Gates' grandfather enlisted in the Continental army at the age of fourteen, and his father was a soldier in the Black Hawk war. Daniel lived at home until he was seventeen years of age and then went to Chicago where be was engaged in railroading for several years. He speculated largely in Missouri lands by buying and laying land warrants, owning at one time twenty thousand acres of land. He raised a company for the 111th Ill. Volunteers, but resigned the captaincy and was appointed by General Yates assistant provost marshal for the 11th Ill. congressional district, where he remained until the close of the war. In 1866 he went to Kansas City and Fort Scott and in 1867 purchased the place where he now resides. He owns a finely improved farm of eight hundred acres, besides other lands in different parts of the State. He is one of the most substantial citizens of Greene county, and is regarded as a thorough gentleman. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for twenty-five years. Mr. Gates was married December 28, 1858, to Miss Mercy Wells, of Lafayette county, Wisconsin. They have had four children, two of whom are living, E. E. and Henry.
COL. CHARLES A. HADEN. This gentleman is the son of Joel H. and Martha (Smith) Haden, and was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, May 9, 1813. His mother was a native of that State and his father of Virginia. His grandfather was a captain in the Revolutionary war. His father, the Rev. Joel Haden, was a Christian minister and organized nearly all the older churches of that denomination in Southwest Missouri. In 1824 he moved to Howard county Missouri, and in 1835 he and his son Charles came to Springfield, where he was appointed register of the land office, which position he held several years, and also carried on the work of organization of Christian churches. He returned to Howard county, where he died in 1862. Charles worked here in his father's office until 1841, when he removed to the farm upon which he now resides, where he has been farming and dealing extensively in stock. He now owns a fine farm of five hundred acres, besides giving to his children some three hundred. Mr. Haden is one of the pioneers of Greene county, and was a colonel of militia in the early days of the county. He has been a member of the Christian church since a young man, and a Mason since 1842. He was married May 6, 1841, to Miss Louisiana, daughter of Major Joseph and Judith Weaver. Their union was bleat with eight children, six living, Martha H., Judith M., Gabrella B., Joel H., John S. and Mollie E. Mrs. Haden died August 18, 1859. Her parents were among the earliest settlers in Greene county, and her father was a soldier in the war of 1812. 
HENRY B. HILL. This young gentleman was born in Tioga county, New York, February 22d, 1856, where he grew to manhood and received a good education. In 1877 he came to Christian county, Missouri, where he engaged in teaching and farming. In 1881 he embarked in the mercantile business at Ponce De Leon Springs, and in 1883 he located at Galoway Station, in this county, where be and Mr. Ethan Miller are doing a general merchandising business. They are building up quite a trade, and deserve the success they meet.
REV. JOSEPH W. LANGSTON. This gentleman is the son of B. N. and Martha A. (Gallon) Langston, and was born in Logan county, Kentucky, October 5th, 1829. He is of Scotch descent, and his grandfather was a colonel in the Revolutionary war. Joseph's parents moved to Greene county, Missouri, in 1831, and settled first upon what is now known as the Turner place, on the Rockbridge road, upon the James. In 1859 they moved to Howell county, Missouri, where Mr. Langston, Sr., was killed in 1868, by "rebel" bush whackers. Joseph W. grew to manhood in this county, and in 1859 removed to Howell county. He returned to Greene county in 1862, where, as a Union man, he was much safer. He represented Greene county in the Legislature in 1872 and 1873, and was one of the most intelligent men of that body. He is a minister of the Methodist church, and has preached for twenty-seven years, and organized churches all over the southwest. He owns a fine farm of two hundred acres. Mr. Langston was married in 1853, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Joel and Elizabeth (Collins) Cargile, of this county, formerly of Alabama. Their union has been blest with ten children, eight of whom are living, William M., Thomas H., Willis J., Martha A., Mary E, James H., Edward A., and Robert R.
ASA LYMAN. This gentleman is the son of Asa and Sarah (Davis) Lyman, and was born in New Hampshire April 25, 1811. His grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. When Mr. Lyman was a small boy his parents moved to St. Lawrence county, New York, where he grew to manhood. At the age of sixteen he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he has followed until a few years ago. In 1834 he removed to near Cleveland, Ohio. In 1840 to Parke county, Indiana, from there to Arkansas, and in 1844 he came to Greene county, Missouri, where he has since resided. He had the first shop in that part of the county. He owns a good farm, and spends most of his time reading at home. He was postmaster for about eighteen years, and has been a consistent member of the Christian church for forty years. He enjoys fine health, which he attributes to his temperate habits. Mr. Lyman was married in 1831 to Miss Rhoda, daughter of Ezra and Nancy Young, of St. Lawrence county, New York. She died in 1839. He was married the second time in 1840 to Miss Margaret K., daughter of Peter and Isabella Myers, of Parke county, Indiana. By his first marriage there were three children, Calvin, John, and Mary. Five children bless the last union, viz.: William, Lawson, Susan, Isabella, and Margaret.
JUDGE JOHN W. D. L. F. MACK. This gentleman is the son of John and Sarah V. (Mack) Mack, and was born in Maury county, Tennessee, January 15, 1821. His great grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution, and his great uncle was one of the men killed at the battle of New Orleans. His father was a native of North Carolina, and his mother of Virginia. He grew to manhood in his native county and lived there until 1852, when he moved to Greene county, Missouri, and located at Springfield. In 1855 he accepted the position of deputy circuit clerk, which position he held until 1859, when he was elected circuit clerk and served until 1861. He read law before and during his clerkship and was admitted to the bar in 1856. From 1863 to 1866 inclusive, he was a member of the State Senate, and for some time was adjutant of the 46th Missouri regiment, U. S. A. He was editor of the Springfield Journal from 1862 to 1865, and from 1867 to 1870 be was prosecuting attorney for Greene county. He then practiced his profession until 1876, when he retired from law and politics and moved out to his farm in Clay township where he has since given his time and attention to farming. He has a fine farm of three hundred and forty acres. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been a member of the Christian church since the age of twenty-two. He is a self-educated, self-made man never having gone to school a day in his life. He was married in 1842 in Maury county, Tennessee. to Miss Sarah E., daughter of Nathaniel G., and Charlotta Murphy. She died in 1849 leaving three children, Francis J. M, Sarah R., and John D. L. W. Judge Mack was married the second time in 180, to Mary J. Murphy, a sister of his former wife. Their marriage was blest with nine children, seven of whom are now living, Nathaniel C., James B., Mary M., Robert A., Charles L., Minnie L., and William F.
ALBERT G. McCRACKEN (DECEASED). This gentleman was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Holmes) McCracken, and was born in Williamson county, Tennessee, Jan. 28, 1823. His parents were natives of North Carolina, but were reared in Tennessee. Albert was one of a family of thirteen children, and the ninth son in rotation. His grandfather was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and his father in the war of 1812. When Albert was twelve years of age he hurt one of his legs, and as it gradually grew worse he had it amputated after he came to Polk county, Missouri, in 1844. He came to this county in 1845. He went to school after he lost his leg and fitted himself for business. In 1854 he was elected clerk of the circuit court, which office he held until 1860. In 1855 he bought out W. H. Anderson, in the nursery business, then the only nursery in the Southwest, and carried on that business until 1875, having branches in Kansas and Arkansas. In 1859 he went into partnership with S. M Ingram in the milling business, upon the James river, and so continued until his death, Sept. 28, 1878. The last fifteen years of his life he was a devoted Spiritualist, and died in that belief. He left a handsome estate. Commencing life a poor boy and a cripple, he rose to wealth and honor by his energy and good management. Mr. McCracken was married Jan. 23, 1855, to Miss Jane, daughter of Martin and Annie (Howard) Ingram, of this county. Their union has been blest with six children, all living, William F., James S. R., Laura B., Edward E., Benton H. J. and Albert G.
ETHAN MILLER. Mr. Miller is the son of David and Susan (Warner) Miller, and was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, Dec. 2d, 1850. His grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Ethan grew to manhood in his native county, and was educated at the South western Normal College. He then taught school for a short time, and in 1872 he came to Greene county, Mo., and followed teaching and farming. In 1888 he, in partnership with Mr. H. B. Hill, engaged in general merchandising business at Galoway Station in Clay township. They are deserving young men and enjoy the confidence of the people.
JOHN W. PLANK. Mr. Plank is the son of Jacob and Barbara (Zook) Plank, and was born in Wayne county, Ohio, January 27th, 1824. His parents were originally from Pennsylvania. John W. grew to manhood in his native county, and learned the cabinet-maker's trade with his brother-in-law, but worked for a number of years at the carpenter's trade. In 1847 he moved to Elkhart county, Indiana, where he lived until 1868. He then came to Greene county, Missouri, and purchased the farm upon which he now resides. It is a splendid place of four hundred and eighty acres, and he is also the owner of an improved farm in Cedar county, containing two hundred and eighty acres, all of which was made by his industry and perseverance. He is one of Greene's most substantial citizens, and enjoys the confidence of all. Mr. Plank was married March 30th, 1848, to Miss Mary, daughter of Michael and Elizabeth (Blough) Stutzman, of Elkhart county, Indiana. Their union was blest with eleven children, nine of whom are living, Chancy, M., Lavinia A., Amanda J., Lucy A., Milo J., James M., Harvey A., Leander D., and Jerome N. O. 
WILLIAM L. THOMPSON. Mr. Thompson is a son of Edward and Elizabeth (Dollison) Thompson, and was born in Henry county, Tennessee, December 13, 1822. His father was a native of Maryland and his mother of Kentucky. After their marriage they moved to Henry county, Tennessee, where they lived until 1829, when they came to Greene county, Missouri. He purchased a claim, but soon sold it and in 1881 moved to what is now known as the Crabtree Price farm, where he lived until 1841, when he moved to Clay township and settled upon the farm where he died in 1850. William was reared and educated in this county where he has lived, except from 1863 to 1868, he resided in Kentucky. When the war began he owned a farm of five hundred acres, but owing a few hundred dollars his land was sold to pay his debts in his absence. He returned a poor man and has since endeavored to recuperate his fallen fortunes. He has now a good farm of one hundred and sixty-seven acres, and is regarded as one of Greene's best citizens. Mr. Thompson was married March 27, 1851, to Miss Elizabeth P., daughter of John M. and Elizabeth (Blakley) Hagan. She was a native of Logan county, Kentucky, and was married while upon a visit to this county. They are blest with five children, M. E., Mary A., Edward B., Georgia Ann and Willie Douglas.
JACOB B. D. THOMPSON. This gentleman is the son of Edward M. and Elizabeth (Dollison) Thompson, and was born July 12, 1886. His father was a native of Maryland and his mother of Kentucky. His father was among the very first settlers, coming to this county in 1829, where he died in 1851. Jacob B. D. Thompson grew to manhood in the county and has always followed farming and stock rearing. He has a fine farm of two hundred and twenty acres, all but sixty of which he required by his own industry and energy. He was married in 1866 to Miss Eliza, daughter of Junius T. and Mary A. (Blackwell) Campbell, who were among the early settlers of Greene. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson where blest with three children, Mary J., James C. and Elizabeth A.
JAMES M. THOMPSON (DECEASED). This gentleman was the son of Edward and Elizabeth (Dollison) Thompson, and was born in Henry county, Tennessee, and when he was quite a child his parents moved to Greene county, Missouri, reaching here in 1829, and were thus among the earliest settlers. James grew to manhood here and made it his home until his death. He was married May 21,1854, to Miss Elizabeth R. Dabbs, and settled in Clay township. He became a very prosperous farmer, dealing largely in cattle, and owned a farm of eight hundred acres. He was assassinated October 5, 1864, while upon his way home from Springfield. He had, or was supposed to have, a large amount of money upon his person. The money was never found and it is supposed the murderers got it. He left a widow and four children, which she reared to be grown, and kept the estate intact. She was killed by the cyclone of April 17, 1880. Her oldest son, Abner, was born July 28, 1855, and was married December 4, 1979, to Miss Jane, daughter of Major Charles and Susan Galoway of this county. Her mother was killed in the same cyclone. Their union has been blest with two children, Jesse L. and Susan E. Besides Abner, Mr. and Mrs. Thompson left three children, James P., Mary L. and Betty O.
JOHN E. TISDELL. This gentleman is the son of Burrell and Elizabeth (Barrett) Tisdell, and was born in Sumner county, Tenn., Nov. 30, 1836. In 1840 his parents moved to Arkansas and in 1843 to Greene county, Missouri, where he grew to manhood and has since resided. From 1852 to 1860 he was engaged in dealing in cattle, and selling principally to the government. Since then he has given his entire attention to farming. Mr. Tisdell was married May 12, 1862, to Miss Jennie, daughter of Crawford and Francis (Bagby) Crenshaw, of this county formerly of Tennessee, to which State her father went from Virginia. They are blest with five children, Allie, Frank B., John T., Hannah B. and Fannie. Mr. Tisdell is one of the substantial citizens of the county. 
P. F. VAUGHAN. This gentleman is the son of Philander and Harriet (Page) Vaughan, and was born in Vermont, Feb. 9, 1843. In 1847 his parents moved to Summit county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood. He was educated at Hiram College, when James A. Garfield held a professorship there. In 1862 he enlisted in company G, 42d Ohio, Col. Jas. A. Garfield, and was at the battles of Chickasaw Bayou and the seige of Vicksburg. He served until the three years men were mustered out and then went into the Pennsylvania oil regions, where he remained until 1878. He then moved to Springfield, Mo., and in the spring of 1879 engaged in the well-drilling business. He has been eminently successful in obtaining water, knowing all the time that it was only a question of depth. The drilling outfit is of his own design and construction. Some of the deepest wells in the State are here, in Southwest Missouri, and drilled by Mr. Vaughan. In 1881, he bought the farm upon which is the celebrated Fisher cave, and moved out to the place in the spring of 1883. Mr.Vaughan intends fixing it up as a pleasant resort. He was married in 1871, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Sarah McCunkey, of Warren county, Pa. Their union is blest with two children, Clarence and Florence. Mr. Vaughan has been a member of the Christian church since seventeen years of age, and is one of the substantial citizens of the county of his adoption.
THOMAS J. WATTS, M. D. Dr. Watts is the son of James and Delilah (Tabor) Watts, and was born in Tennessee, Aug. 10, 1837. His parents were natives of North Carolina. His great-grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and his grandfather of the war of 1812. His parents moved to Greene county, Missouri, and settled on the James river, near the Webster county line. Thomas grew to manhood here, and was educated at the Ozark High School. He taught school for some time, and in 1858 commenced the study of medicine under Drs. Robinson and Barrett, and took lectures at the St. Louis Medical College. In 1861 he commenced the practice in Webster county, and in 1864 he removed to where he now lives. He enjoys a large and lucrative practice, and is one of the leading physicians of the county. He owns a fine farm of four hundred acres, and deals extensively in stock. He began life poor and has arisen to dignity and wealth by his own exertions. Dr. Watts was married in 1863 to Miss Martha A., daughter of Wiley and Charlotta (Edwards) Hedgheth, of Christian county, Mo., formerly of Tennessee. Their union has been blest with two childron, James W. and Lula T., deceased.
JAMES G. WOOD. Mr. Wood is the son of John and Elizabeth (Morris) Wood, and was born in Madison county, Alabama, February 24, 1832. In 1834 his parents moved to Illinois and took up a claim where the city of Rockford now stands. In 1836 they moved to Lawrence county, Tennessee, where James grew to manhood and learned the trade of tanner and shoemaker. He moved to Greene county, Missouri, in 1852 where he was engaged in farming and stock- rearing until 1861. He then went to Arkansas where he followed tanning and shoemaking until 1864, when he came back to this county and has since been engaged in the rearing of stock and farming. He owns a farm of one hundred and eighty-live acres, finely improved. He was married in 1857 to Miss Susan, daughter of Henderson and Sallie J. (Hail) Dishough. Her father was a native of North Carolina and her mother of Tennessee. Her grandfather was a native of France, and herself of Lawrence county, Tennessee. Her father was killed by lightning in 1847. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have had two children, one living, Susan J. Mr. Wood's parents came from England to the United States in 1827. His father was a skilled mechanic and cotton-spinner. He operated the first cotton mill in Tennessee, and became quite wealthy. 
Next Chapter | Table of Contents | Keyword Search
History of Greene County Home | Local History Home