Boundaries — Description — Natural Features — First Settlers — Early Historical Items — Organization —In the Civil War — Capt. Julian's Fight with Bushwhackers — Cave Spring — Its "Firsts" — History of Mt. Zion Church, the Mother of Presbyterian churches in Southwest Missouri — Mount Pleasant Church — Miscellaneous Matters — Biographies of Old Settlers
and Prominent Citizens of Cass Township
At present Cass township is bounded by a line beginning at the southeast corner of section 36, township 30, range 23, running thence due north to the county line thence west along the county line between Greene and Polk counties to the northwest corner of section 18, township 31, range 23; thence south to the southwest corner of section 31, township 30, range 23; thence east to the beginning. The township is a perfect parallelogram, ten miles from north to south by six miles from east to west, contains sixty full sections of land, or 38,400 acres.
The principal portion of the township is timbered land. There are within the confines of the township, however, the greater portion of the Whittenberg prairie, so named from Peter Whittenberg, one of the first settlers, and a considerable portion of the Grand prairie. The latter contains about fourteen sections in Cass township. It is a beautiful area of country, containing some excellent land. Since the first settlement of the country, timbered tracts have come into existence where once was nothing but bare prairie. When the Indians held possession of this country they regularly burned the prairies every year, destroying everything growing or beginning to grow thereon, and thus preventing the spread of timber. When the whites came they did not burn the prairies, and also kept fire out of the wooded tracts along the creeks, and in time the timber crept up from the creek bottoms upon the prairies. 
This township is on the north side of the water-shed, and its streams flow northward into the Osage, and then into the Missouri.
The principal streams flowing through this township are the Little Sac, Asher creek, and Clear creek. There are numerous springs in the township, and it may be said that it is well watered. The Watson spring, in 14-30-23, is the source of Asher creek.
In 32-30-23 is the Lapham cave, or caves, a very interesting locality. In the north west part of 35-30-23, on a branch of Clear creek, is a good stone quarry. Plenty of stone is to be found anywhere in the township, however. The top of the ground, in many places, is covered with boulders A great deal of the soil of Cass township is rich and fertile, but very much of the territory is sterile and unproductive. No cases of starvation among the citizens have ever been reported, however, and the people generally are well-to-do and thrifty, the result of hard, work, close management and persistency.
The first settlements in Cass township were made in township 30, range 23, and on and near the Whittenberg prairie. The first settlers were Peter Whittenberg, Isaac Hasten, I. Cook, John Murray, James Gilmore, John Griffiths, James Adams, Jacob Perryman, Archibald Morris, Chas. Peck, J. Johnson, J. Simmons and Isaac Julian, who came in at various periods from 1830 to 1837.
Wm. Johnson was also one of the first settlers, and so was Jesse Kelly. John Richardson made a settlement on the prairie as early as 1834, and Charles L. Peck came in 1835. Wm. Killingsworth came to the prairie in 1839, and Charles McClure, in the same year. Wm. McClure, in 1837, came from East Tennessee, and settled on the prairie in section thirty-one, township thirty-one, range twenty-three, where he is still living, in the enjoyment of a hale old age. 
Isaac Julian, father of S. H. Julian, arrived in 1837, and made a settlement on section thirty-four, of township thirty-one, range twenty-three. He was a native of North Carolina, but came to Missouri from Tennessee, and his sons have been prominent and influential citizens. The place where Isaac Julian first settled was improved by a man named Payne. Archibald Morris was an early resident of the eastern end of the prairie. At Cave Spring, John Grigsby was an early resident. His location was immediately at the spring. The farm of Dr. L. T. Watson was first improved by John Dillard, an East Tennesseean. Thomas Fanon, from East Tennessee, was another early settler. Isaac Hastings, likewise an emigrant from East Tennessee, settled about a mile east of Cave Spring, about 1835.
Esquire John W. Wadlow came to Greene county from old Virginia in 1837, and settled on section fourteen, of township thirty, range twenty-three, and has since lived in that immediate neighborhood. Isaac Cook, about 1835, came from Tennessee and settled on section thirty-six, township thirty, range twenty-three. Where Mr. Biggs now lives, on the Melville road, William Parish made a settlement in 1837. He was a Kentuckian, and the last general muster ever held in the county came off at his place in 1844.
Of these general musters a writer in one of the Springfield papers, a few years since, said: "These general musters were the scenes of considerable excitement, and brought together people from all parts of the country. Three of these musters were held yearly—the company, battalion and regimental musters. The two former were commonly held in the spring, and the regimental muster, the grandest occasion of all, came off in the autumn, and was a time long to be remembered. After the muster at Uncle Billy Parrish's the militia disbanded and never assembled together again on muster day.
James Gilmore came from East Tennessee, in 1835, and lived in Cass township, on the place where he first settled, until his death in August, 1879. W. L. B. Lay, an East Tennesseean, but who lived in Indiana, settled on Clear creek, in the southwest part of Cass township, in 1837, and after living there ten years removed to Center township.
One of the first, if not the first, marriages in Cass township was that of Archibald Morris and a daughter of old Peter Whittenberg, and her death, a few months after the marriage, was one of the first demises in the community. Dr. Constantine Perkins was the first physician. Rev. Jeff. Montgomery, a Cumberland Presbyterian, and Rev. E. P. Noel, O. S. Presbyterian, were the first ministers. Montgomery preached at old Isaac Julian's, and Noel at Grandma Renshaw's and under the arbor that was the first temple of religious worship built in the township. (See history of Mt. Zion church.) A. D. White was a pioneer school teacher, and taught his first school at Charles Peck's, where there was a primitive school house, built of logs, by the settlers, without public aid of any sort. 
When the first settlements were made in this township the pioneers often shot deer from their own door-yards. Wolves were very plenty and gave the settlers no little trouble by carrying of their sheep and pigs. The usual privations of early settlers and pioneers were borne by those of Cass township. Many of the old pioneers, however, lived to see Greene county developed as at present, and enjoy its advantages and benefits.
Cass township was first organized by the county court, May 1, 1846, and named for Gen. Lewis Cass, of Michigan, who, two years later was the Democratic candidate for President. At the head of the petition asking for the creation of the township was the name of Jacob Perryman. The first boundaries of the township were as follows:
"Beginning on the northern boundary of Greene county, six miles east of the eastern boundary of Dade county; thence to the south boundary of Robberson township; thence east seven and one-fourth miles; thence north to Sac river; thence down Sac river to the range line dividing ranges 22 and 23; thence north with said range line to the north boundary of Greene county; thence west with the line dividing the counties of Greene and Polk to the place of beginning." The boundary was afterward changed in the northeast corner to the present limits.
The first voting place in the township was at the house of old Isaac Julian, and John W. Wadlow, John Grigsby, and Isaac Julian were the first judges of election.
IN THE CIVIL WAR.
During the civil war a large majority of the people of Cass township were for the Union, and sent many men into the Union, or Federal army. For particulars the reader is referred to the general history department of this volume.
A BUSHWHACKER FIGHT.
In August, 1863, a party of bushwhackers, supposed to be under the command of one Captain Lotspeich, were attacked on the Ralph Lotspeich farm, in this township, by Capt. S. H. Julian and about 30 Home Guards, or militia. The bushwhackers numbered 17, and were encamped in a dense thicket unconscious of danger. Capt. Julian surrounded the thicket and he and three of his men crawled in to reconnoiter. The bushwhackers were startled and began mounting their horses in an effort to escape. The captain and his three men opened fire with their pistols. The bushwhackers made a dash through the thicket, and as they came out were greeted with a volley from the Home Guards, who were waiting for them. This fire was returned, but none of the Home Guards were hit, and perhaps the bushwhackers escaped as well, although an uncorroborated story was current for some time that two weeks after the fight two newly-made graves were found in the timber near where the fight took place.
The same party of guerrillas encountered by Capt. Julian were charged with having killed Solomon Daniels the night before. Julian, and his men, had followed their trail from Daniels' residence to their encampment in the thicket. As has been stated, Mr. Daniels was an inoffensive Union man, and enjoyed the esteem and confidence of his neighbors. The bushwhackers went to his house late one night to get big horses, and hearing a noise Mr. Daniels went out to see what was the matter, when he was shot down dead by the murderous miscreants, who then took away all of his horses that were of any value.
The village of Cave Spring, is the only one in Cass township. It stands on the southeast corner of section 4, township 30. The town takes its name from a large spring flowing out of a sort of cave on Asher creek near by. The first house in Cave Spring was built by John Grigsby, a farmer and trader and an old settler, who afterward removed to California and died there. The house was of logs. The first store was established in 1848, by Alfred Staley. It contained probably $500 worth of goods, chiefly staple articles, which had been "wagoned" in from Boonville.
The first physicians who practiced in the village and surrounding country were Drs. Perkins, Wilson, Clinton, and Matthews. The first ministers were old E. P. Noel and Milton Renshaw, Presbyterian.
The first school teacher is said to have been David Daizell. In 1868 a high school was established in Cave Spring. A Professor Perry was the first principal and taught for two years. After him came Prof. O. H. Giiffin, of New York, who taught two years; then came a Prof. McCord, who served one year, and he was followed by one Ward, who taught a portion of one year, when the small pox broke out and soared away teachers and scholars, and the school has not since been re-opened. 
The first child born in the village was Lula Staley, daughter of the pioneer merchant, and now the wife of Dr. T. W. Coltrane. The first death was that of Lydia Staley, a sister of Mrs. Coltrane.
The post office at Cave Spring was established about the year 1867 or 1868. The only voting place in Cass township is at Cave Spring. The village now contains five stores and one blacksmith shop, and one church building belonging to the Presbyterians.
MOUNT ZION CHURCH—PRESBYTERIAN.
This church was organized October 19th, 1839, at Mrs. Jane Renshaw's (familiarly called "Grandma Renshaw"), by Rev. E. P. Noel, of Hermon church, near Bolivar, Polk county. The original members were Elizabeth Stowell, Stephen Dillard, Julia Ann Dillard, Jane Renshaw, Margaret A. Appleby, Joseph K. Renshaw, Robert S. Reid, Amanda F. Reid, David Appleby, and Catharine Appleby,—ten in all. The first ruling elders were David Appleby, Robert S. Reid, and Stephen Dilliard. The church was called Mt. Zion Presbyterian church. The congregation met and worshiped in private houses at first. In the spring, or early in the summer of 1840, a brush arbor was put up a short distance south of Grandma Renshaw's house, and under this, meetings were held. In the summer of 1861 a shed was erected at Cave Spring, and was called Cave Spring camp ground. It was used by all denominations for camp meetings. This shed being too small, it was extended by a brush arbor. The first camp meetings were held the last days of July and the first days of August, in the year 1841. These camp meetings were held annually, and attended by people from a great distance, who came in wagons, carts, on horseback and on foot. The first person received into the church was Margaret McElhanon; she came in by letter November 17 1839. The first on examination was James Appleby, on August 1st, 1841. Rev. E. P. Noel was the pastor from the organization of the church until November 14th,1881. He held regular monthly services. Then came Rev. G. A. M. Renshaw, a graduate of Maysville college, East Tennessee. He died March 27th, 1857. On the 14th of June, 1857, Rev. A. E. Taylor took charge, and served until February 26th, 1860, when Rev. L. R. Morrison was called and served the church until April, 1861. From January 28th, 1866, to some time in the fall of 1869, the Rev. J. M. Brown, of Illinois, who was sent by the Board of Home Missions, served as pastor; Rev. Enos M. Halbert took charge on May 14th 1870, and after him came Rev. George Davis, who served as "stated supply" in the year 1881. The present pastor is C. C. Hembree. The ruling elders in their order from the time of its organization up to the year 1876, were David Appleby, Stephen Dillard, David Dalzell, Charles Hughes, Wm. E. Thompson, Nathan Thompson, Newton A. McGill, Robert S. Reid, Alexander Stowell, Wm. Walker, David S. Dalzell, John R. Lee, Moses C. Anderson, and Samuel Hall. The first church building, was erected in 1845. It was built of hewed logs taken from the forest nearby. During the war this building was used for a dwelling house, and by the soldiers as a commissary and for quarters. The first meeting of the Osage Presbytery, after the war, was held in this building. The present building was erected in 1869, at a cost of about $3,500, including the school rooms. It was dedicated August 22d, 1869, by Rev. Dr. Hill, of Kansas City. Mt. Zion is one of the very oldest Presbyterian churches in Missouri, and lays claim to being the first regularly organized west of St. Louis. It is the parent of three other churches—Springfield, Mt. Bethel, and Grand Prairie. Space forbids anything like a complete history of this church, which would be not only interesting, but highly instructive. 
MOUNT PLEASANT BAPTIST CHURCH.
This church stands on section 29, township 30, range 23, and was organized in 1838. The original members were, Wm. Tatem, Elijah Williams, Rebecca Tatem, Andrew Simmons, Thomas Simmons, Rebecca Simmons; Agnes Davis, John Davis, Margaret Davis, B. Gilmore, Elizabeth Grantham, J. C. Johnson, A. Johnson, C. L. Peck, and Louisa Peck. The first building was a frame, built in 1842. The present church is a frame, and was built in 1882, at a cost of $700. It was dedicated January 8th, 1882, by Eld. James Buckner. The pastors have been Elds. Wm. Tatem, E. Williams, George White, J. E. B. Justice, James Buckner, B. F. Meek, and George Wilson. The present membership is 95. Mt. Pleasant had a church building erected but not completed, when the storm of December 4th, 1880, completely demolished it. Mount Pleasant was one of the very first Baptist churches in Southwestern Missouri. For many years it was the only church in the neighborhood, and was attended by people from many miles around.
School Houses. The Murray school house is situated on section 35 in township 30. The present building was erected probably in 1872, at a cost of about $1,000. It is the third building erected on the same site, which was dontaed by Mr. Murray. The first building was a log; the next was a frame, as is the present, whose dimensions are 24x40 feet. Cherry Grove school house is on section 7, township 30. It is a frame and was built in 1867. 
Cemetery .The Murray cemetery is located on section 35, township 30. It was first opened in 1845, and the first interment was that of Mrs. John Murray, on the 6th of January of that year.
Mysterious Death. About the 13th of September, 1876, the dead body of a stranger was found on the Whittenberg prairie, in this township. A coroner's inquest was held, but the jury could not determine the cause of the death. No money or valuables were found on the person, but it is remembered that a slip of paper, bearing the address "Eaton, Lawrence county, Mo.," was discovered. An individual name could also be faintly discovered, but not made out, distinctly, although supposed by some to be McClaffin. The corpse seemed to be that of a middle-aged man, of medium height, with light moustache and light hair.
Murder. August 3, 1877, at Cave Spring, at the celebration of negro emancipation in the West Indies, there was a riotous time among the colored people. Whisky was plenty, and a number of fights occurred. In one row a negro named Jim Hendricks was killed. It was claimed, however, that this row was in no way connected with the celebration.
GEORGE J. BIGGS. Mr. Biggs is the son of Moses Allen Biggs, and was born in Giles county, Virginia, October 20, 1827. He came with his father to Missouri in 1887, and in 1839 they located at Westport, Jackson county. Here George assisted his father and learned the wagon-maker's trade. His father died in 1848, and the following year he moved to Kansas City, and built the first blacksmith and wagon-shop in the place, and continued the business until 1853. He was married November 11, 1849, to Miss Louisa Jane Barnett. He left Kansas City in 1858, and removed with his wife and little daughter, who died in her first year, to Fremont county, Iowa, and carried on his former occupation, until he was elected, in 1857, to the office of treasurer, recorder, and collector of that county, all those duties being combined in one office. In 1862 be went to the famous mines of Nevada, where he engaged in mining until 1866. In the autumn of the same year he removed his family from Iowa to Greene county, and bought his magnificent estate in Cass township, where he has since lived and farmed very successfully. In 1872 his wife died, leaving four children, viz.: James H., Charles H., Cora H., and William W. Mr. Biggs was married the second time August 2, 1876, to Elizabeth E. Ernest, of Greene county. Two children were born to this marriage, a boy and a girl. The little boy died December 1, 1882. 
THOMAS W. COLTRANE, M. D. This gentleman has been a citizen of Cass township since 1867. He is a native of North Carolina, and was born in Guilford county August 16, 1842. He was educated in the common schools of his county, at the Quaker college at New Garden and at Trinity college, North Carolina, from which institution he graduated in 1859. He left North Carolina that year, and after traveling considerably over the United States he found himself at Springfleld, Missouri. He then began teaching school in Walnut Grove township, and was so engaged when the war came up. He had previously studied medicine while at college, and had a natural bent in that direction. In 1865 and 1866 he attended the St. Louis medical college, and then went to Pennsylvania, where he attended the medical department of the Pennsylvania State university in 1869 and 1870. Then, in 1877 and 1878 he took a course at the celebrated Bellevue medical college in New York, and in 1880 and 1881 he took his last course at the Missouri medical college at St. Louis. He began practice at Walnut Grove in 1866, and removed to Cave Spring in 1867 where he has practiced ever since, save when attending medical colleges. October 10,1882, he was elected professor of surgery and clinical surgery at the Joplin college of physicians and surgeons, which position he still holds. They had very successful term of the college the first year of the doctor's connection therewith, and the institution is building up an enviable reputation. Dr. Coltrane was married November 24, 1867, to Miss Lucina, daughter of Alfred Staley, one of the first settlers of Cave Spring. There union has been blest with two children, viz.: Daisy (deceased), and Victor, born December 20, 1868. The doctor has, beyond question, the finest medical library in the county. In politics he is a Democrat, and is a member of the Presbyterian church. He is also a distinguished member of the Masonic fraternity.
JAMES KENNON GILMORE. This gentleman is a native of Grainger county, Tennessee, and was born in 1827. He moved to Greene county, Missouri, in December, 1885, and has been engaged in farming ever since coming to the State. He was married in this county on the 24th of May, 1849, to Miss Sophronia E. Edmonson. They have ten children living, four of whom are married and living in Greene county. His father was one of the early settlers, and died in August, 1879. Mr. Gilmore owns about seven hundred acres of land in the county, and is one of its most substantial citizens. During the war he was a Union man, and has since been identified with the Republican party. He and his excellent wife are members of the Baptist church. They have passed through all the phases of pioneer life, and now enjoy the fruits of their industry.
ISAAC N. HASTEN, J. P. Squire Hasten is a son of Carroll and Nancy (Leak) Hasten, and was born in Cass township, Greene county, Missouri, January 22, 1844. His father emigrated from Knox county, Tennessee, to this county in 1835 and settled upon Grand prairie, and lived upon the farm he settled until his death in 1845. He was buried in the old Hasten family burying ground. Isaac was educated in the common schools of the county. He grew up on the farm, and in 1861 enlisted in the 72d Missouri militia. After six months he joined the 16th Missouri Rangers, and served with them two years. He then enlisted in the regular service under Capt. Isaac Julian, in the 46th Infantry of U. S. A. He was mustered out at the end of seven months. He was married January 29, 1865, to Miss Mary E. Jennings, of Neosho, Mo. Their union has been blest with three children, viz.: Alice Theodosia, John, and William (deceased). He was elected justice of the peace in 1878, and re-elected in 1882. The 'Squire is a Greenbacker but had been a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church, and he is a member of both the A. F. and A. M., and I. O. O. F. societies.
MICHAEL JOHNSTON (DECEASED). Mr. Johnston was born in St. Louis county, October 3, 1823. His parents emigrated to Greene county, when he was six years old, and settled upon Whittenberg prairie, where he grew to manhood. He was married April 13, 1848, to Lydia Simmons. Their union was blest with six children, five of whom are now living. Mr. Johnston settled upon the place where his widow now lives. He entered two hundred and forty acres of land in his home place and resided upon it until his death, which occurred February 1, 1872, in the forty-ninth year of his age, and is buried in the cemetery at Cave Spring. He was a consistent member of the Baptist church, being a deacon of Mount Pleasant Church, where he died. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the lodge at Ash Grove. Mr. Johnston was a Republican in politics, and was an honored citizen of the county.
ISAAC JULIAN. Among the prominent names that figured conspicuously in Greene's history, none is of greater note or better known than that of Julian. Isaac Julian was born April 2, 1786, in North Carolina. His parents brought him to Knox county, Tennessee, when he was ten years of age, and there he grew to manhood. He then went to Indiana and lived there three years, killing bear, deer, etc., near where Bedford now stands, in Lawrence county. In 1821 he moved back to Monroe county, Tennessee, and lived there sixteen years. He moved to Missouri in 1837, and settled upon Grand Prairie, in Greene county, where he lived until his death, July 27, 1872. He married Nancy Wood, of Knox county, Tennessee, by whom he had twelve children, ten of whom, six girls and four boys, lived to be grown. Seven of his children are now living. Two of his sons, Isaac and Stephen, were captains in the U. S. army in the late war.
DENNIS KIME. Mr. Kime was born in Randolph county, North Carolina, September 26, 1836. He is the son of Abraham and Eliza (Brower) Kime. He came to Missouri in 1854 and settled in Cass township, Greene county. He was married August 11, 1859, to Miss Barbara D Spoon, of this county. She was from the same part of North Carolina that her husband was, but came to Missouri three years later. Their union has been blest with four children, viz.: Mary Ellen, now the wife of Theodore Kelso, of Center township, this county; William H., George W., and King Asa, all living. Mr. Kime is one of the best citizens of the county. He is a good farmer and deals largely in stock, particularly cattle. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church at Tatum's chapel. During the war Mr. Kime enlisted in the M. S. M., and served nine months. He has always been a Democrat.
REV. GEORGE LONG. Mr. Long is the son of Maples and Mahala (Atchley) Long, and was born in Sevier county, Tennessee, October 30, 1829. His grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812. George grew to manhood and was educated in the common schools of his native county. He was reared upon a farm, but worked some at the carpenter's trade. In 1857 he moved to Boone county, Arkansas, and in 1863, he came to this county where, for a time, he served in company H, 8th Missouri S. M. Mr. Long has been an ordained minister in the Baptist church since 1860, and since the war, has devoted most of his time to that most noble calling. He has organized quite a number of churches in Southwest Missouri. He owns a fine farm of four hundred and eighty acres, and enjoys the love and confidence of all. Mr. Long was married in 1848 to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Atchley) Lindsey, of Sevier county, Tennessee. Their union has been blest with thirteen children, ten of whom are living, and six are married.
JOSEPH POLLACK. Mr. Pollack was born in Reidseltz, Province of Alsace, France, October 30, 1842. When he was about eighteen years of age, he emigrated to America, landing in New York city in November, 1860. He came straight on to Dayton, Ohio, where he remained six months, and then moved to Springfield and embarked in the clothing business, and sold goods until 1866. He then sold out and went to farming, which occupation he has since followed. Mr. Pollack was married March 1, 1866, to Miss Bettie Skeen, of Greene county. Their union was blest with nine children, six of whom are now living. Mr. Pollack is a member of St. Nicholas lodge, No. 436, A. F. and A. M. He is a Democrat in politics, and is one of Greene's most substantial citizens. His wife is a member of the M. E. Church South. 
WILLIAM J. ROBERTSON (DECEASED). Mr. Robertson was born in Tennessee in 1806, and grew to manhood in his native State. He was married in 1886 to Miss Mary A. Lotspeich, of Monroe county, Tennessee, and in 1839 they emigrated to Missouri, and settled in Greene county, where he entered three hundred and sixty acres of land. He was one of the poineers of the county, and helped to make the "wilderness bloom as the rose." During the late war farming in his neighborhood was carried on under difficulties. The girls would act as sentinels, and give the alarm at the approach of the soldiers, and the men would hide themselves. Mr. and Mrs. Robertson reared a family of nine children, seven girls and two boys. He died October 12, 1877, being nearly seventy-one years of age. His widow still survives him, living upon the farm with her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. David Snider. One by one the fathers of the county are being called home, and their hardy descendants become the life-blood of the land.
WELDON E. STALEY. This gentleman is the son of Alfred and Lucinda (Brower) Staley, and was born in Randolph county, North Carolina, July 9, 1840. His father represented his county in the North Carolina Legislature, and was a very prominent member of that body. In 1847 his parents moved to Clinton county, Missouri, and in 1849 to this county, where Weldon E. grew to manhood and has since resided. His father died in 1862, and Weldon followed merchandising in Cave Spring until 1878, and since that time has devoted his time exclusively to farming and stock rearing. He has a splendid farm of one hundred and ninety acres. Mr. Staley was married January 21, 1861, to Miss A. O. Evans, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Evans, of this county. Her parents were natives of North Carolina, and among the early settlers of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Staley have eight children, viz.: William W., Mollie, Dollie, Fannie, John H., Joseph A., Katie and Bunch E.
GEORGE W. THOMAS. Mr. Thomas is a son of Jonathan and Anna Thomas, and was born in Monroe county, Tennessee, December 15, 1819. His father was a native of North Carolina, and died in Monroe county, Tennessee, in 1867. George grew to manhood in his native county where he was married to Miss Sarah A. Smallin, of the same county. Their union was blest with ten children, nine of whom are living, five boys and four girls. Mr. Thomas came to Missouri in 1854 and settled on Grand Prairie, this county, where he lived two years, and then purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land in sections 7 and 8, township 31, where be has since resided. During the war Mr. Thomas served in the enrolled militia ten months and was at the battle of Springfield. His son, Jonathan C., a member of Company E, 8th Missouri regiment, was killed in the southwestern portion of the State, while pursuing a band of three hundred bushwhackers. Mr. Thomas died February 17, 1880, and is buried at the Mt. Pleasant cemetery. Mr. Thomas is a member of Baptist church, and one of Greene's successful farmers. 
WILLIAM C. WADLOW, M.D. Dr. Wadlow is the son of Charles W. Wadlow, a native of Tennessee, who came to Greene county, Missouri, in 1887. He was a farmer and blacksmith, and died in February, 1863. His wife died in February, 1876. Wm. O. was born October 18, 1842, in Cass township, this county, and studied medicine at Walnut Grove with Dr. A. C. Sloan. Ho then attended the famous Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, and has been practicing eight years. Dr. Wadlow was married October 21, 1860, to Miss Susan E., daughter of R. C. Julian, a former prominent citizen of the county. Their union has been blest with six children, two boys and four girls. The doctor stands high in the profession, and enjoys the confidence of all who know him.
JOSEPH B. WILSON. Mr. Wilson is the son of Isaac N. and Malinda F. Wilson, and was born in Greene county, Missouri, December 29, 1861. His grandfather Thomas Wilson, settled in Ebenezer, this county, in 1834, where his father, Isaac N., was born September 2, 1835. He grew to up to manhood in his native county, and was married March 11, 1856. He died with consumption May 24, 1870. He was a man highly respected by all. He served one term as deputy assessor of Greene county. Joseph B. Wilson is one of the prosperous young farmers of Cass township. He was married January 31, 1883, to Miss Theodosia, daughter of I. N. and Mary E. Hasten, of Cave Spring.
W. W. WOODWARD. Mr. Woodward was born in Calloway county, Kentucky, December 6, 1824. In 1843 his father moved to Greene county, Missouri, and engaged in farming. Our subject went to California in 1850, and returned to this county in June, 1855, and on December 4th, of that year, he married Miss Emily, daughter of William S. Landreth. His first wife died December 18, 1862, leaving one child, a daughter. Mr. Woodward was married the second time to Miss M. F. Gilmore, January 27, 1864. He has lived upon the farm, where he now makes his home, since 1864. Mr. Woodward is a practical surveyor, and was deputy county surveyor for several years. 
Springfield-Greene County Library