History of the City of Springfield
JAMES ABBOTT. Mr. Abbott is the son of William and Abigail (Steward) Abbott, and was born in Salem New Jersey, February 13th, 1835. He was educated at the public schools of that State, and in 1855, went to St. Louis, Missouri and took a position as clerk in the retail dry goods house of J. C. Havens & Co., for whom he worked until 1862. He then came to Springfield, Missouri, and engaged in the mercantile business with Wm. R. Gorton until 1871, when he was elected county collector upon the Republican ticket, and served until 1874. He was appointed county treasurer in 1864, but declined to serve, but was regularly elected to serve in 1866, and held that office until 1868. In 1865-6, was city treasurer of elected to serve in Springfield. He was elected secretary and treasurer of the Springfield Iron Works in 1875, which is now the Springfield Foundry and Machine Shops. He was mayor of the city in 1881, and chairman of the Republican Congressional Committee of this district in 1882. Mr. Abbott was married January 30th, 1866, in New York city, by the Rev. Theodore L. Cuyler, to Mary E., daughter of Timothy C. Wooley, Esq. Their union was blest with seven children, six girls and one boy, of whom six are living, one daughter dying in infancy. He and his wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church, and be is one of the trustees. His mother died in New Jersey in 1874, and his father is still living at Brighton, Illinois. From the many positions of honor and trust that Mr. Abbott has held, it is the best evidence that no man in Greene county has a better hold upon the affections of the people than he. 
REV. MARCUS ARRINGTON. This gentleman is the son of Abel and Margaret (Cobb) Arrington, and was born in Wilkes county, North Carolina, July 13th, 1820. In 1823, his parents moved to Rhea county, Tennessee, and, in the fall of 1829, they emigrated to Fulton county, Illinois, and in 1839, came to Greene county, Missouri. He was educated by B. McCord Roberts, and at the school at Ebenezer. Mr. Arrington then taught in several of the counties in Southwestern Missouri for several years. From the scholars of his first school nine afterwards became ministers. He was married in this county July 14th, 1842, to Miss L. McClure, daughter of John McClure. They had by their union two sons and two daughters. He carried on farming two years, and was then licensed to preach by the M. E. Church South, and appointed to the Osceola circuit. In the fall of 1844, he joined the conference, and, in 1845, was appointed to Hartville circuit. Then, at his own request, be was discontinued, and farmed for two years. He sold his farm, and, after moving about for a year or two, he joined the St. Louis conference in the fall of 1850, and preached upon different circuits. After the battle of Wilson's Creek, he took charge of some of the sick and wounded, and finally took them to Lexington. He then went to Arkansas, and was appointed by Dr. Caples as chaplain of the Missouri State Guards, under Gen. McBride. At the battle of Pea Ridge, he was taken prisoner and sent to Alton, Illinois, where he was kept five months, and then released by order of the War Department. He then went South, where he met his wife and children in Arkansas. He then went to Illinois, and remained until 1866. He was then put upon a circuit, and so remains at the present. In 1870, he took his family to Arcadia, Iron county, Missouri, where he educated his children. He has been presiding elder of several districts, and is now living at Springfield. John B., son of the Rev. Marcus Arrington, was born in Polk county, Missouri, October 22d, 1858, and was educated at Arcadia college, Iron county, Missouri. In 1873-A-6, was principal of Doniphan High School, Ripley county, Missouri, and, in 1878-9 taught the high school at Marble Hill Missouri. In the fall of 1879. he took charge of the Mountain House Academy, and was its principal for two years, and then returned to Springfield. In the fall of 1882, he was the Greenback candidate for circuit clerk, and received about eleven hundred votes.
JUDGE JAMES BAKER. Judge James Baker is the son of M. and Margaret (Waters) Baker, and was born April 1st, 1819, in Mason county, Kentucky. He was educated at the Indiana State University, at Bloomington. In the fall of 1888 he moved to Davenport, Iowa, where he studied law in the office of Judge James Grant. He remained there until 1848, when be moved to Ottumwa, Iowa, and practiced law in that city for ten years. In 1858 he was appointed by President Pierce as register of the land office, at Chariton, Iowa. After two or three years be resumed the practice of law at Chariton. In 1861 the Legislature of Iowa created an executive commission to raise money and equip troops for the army, and he was appointed as one of the commissioners. In the fall of 1861 he recruited the 13th Iowa infantry, and was its lieutenant colonel. He was at the battles of Shiloh, Iuka and Corinth. He resigned because of sickness, and in the spring of 1864 came to Springfield, Mo., where he was for a time associated in law with Capt. A. M. Julian and Col. Fazan. In 1868 he was appointed attorney for the Atlantic and Pacific railroad. In the fall of 1870 he was also appointed attorney for the Missouri Pacific railroad, and was attorney for both roads until 1876. He has been attorney, vice president and president of the St. Louis and San Francisco railway. He was appointed as one of the judges of the Supreme Court by Gov. Fletcher in 1868.
JOHN S. BENSON. Mr. Benson is the son of Samuel and Nancy (Bull) Benson, and was born in Accomack county, Virginia, April 17, 1813. He was educated in the common schools, and at the age of seventeen went to Baltimore and learned the watch-maker and jeweler's trade. In 1835 he came West and stopped at St. Louis, Mo. In 1842 he went to Lacon, Illinois, where he followed his trade and carried on farming, for twenty-seven years. He came to Springfield Missouri, in the spring of 1869. Mr. Benson was married in 1842 to Miss Amanda F. Houge, a native of Kentucky. Mrs. Benson is a member of the Episcopal church. Her mother is still living at the age of ninety-two. Mr. Benson's father died in Virginia in 1855, and his mother in 1866. They had four sons, none living save John S. 
HON. SEMPRONIUS H. BOYD. This gentleman, one of the best known and most talented men of Southwest Missouri, is the son of Marcus and Eliza (Hamilton) Boyd, and was born in Williamson county, Tennessee, May 28th 1828. His parents came to Missouri in 1840, and his father shortly after took a high political rank, representing Greene county several times in the Legislature, being appointed receiver of the land office, at Springfield, and a colonel in the militia during the civil war. He died in 1866. His son, S. H. Boyd, was educated at Springfield, in English and the classics. After completing his education he made a trip to Texas with a train loaded with bacon; sold out the entire outfit, save the negroes whom he refused to sell, and returned with them and the proceeds safely to Springfield. He then took a position as clerk in the store of D. Johnson & Co. In 1847, the firm established a branch store at Forsyth, Missouri, and Mr. Boyd placed in charge, though but nineteen years of age. In 1849 he crossed the great plains, arriving in California in August of that year. He mined in the placers of the Yuba, Feather and Moquelnes rivers, taught school at Volcano, Amador county, returning to Springfield in 1855, via Nicaragua and New Orleans. He then studied law under Judge Price; was mayor of Springfield in 1856-7; was the first clerk of the probate and common pleas court of Greene county and was twice city attorney. In 1861 he was major of Gen. Phelps Home Guards; then colonel of a regiment of United States volunteers, and was in several engagements. He was elected to Congress over Gen. Phelps, the opposition candidate, and took his seat in December, 1863, was active in re-organizing the postal service in Southwest Missouri; member of the committee of post-offices and post roads, chairman of the committee of revolutionary claims and pensions. He was circuit judge of the 14th judicial district in 1865-6, which office he resigned to interest himself in the completion of the Southwestern Pacific railroad. He was again elected to Congress in 1868, as a regular Republican nominee, running largely ahead of his ticket. He took an independent stand in Congress; and for favoring rebel enfranchisement and supporting B. Gratz. Brown, he was ostracised by his party. He was not a mere partisan, and, with him, principles were never prostituted to position. He was the Missouri member of the Republican national executive committee from 1864 to 1868. In 1872 he founded the Springfield wagon factory and resumed the practice of law in 1874. Though born in Tennessee, Col. Boyd had never been back there until 1883, and being greatly pleased with Memphis, will make that city his home.
MILTON BOWERMAN. Stephen and Phoebe (Garrett) Bowerman, and was born April 14th, 1887, in Sombra, Canada. He was educated at Detroit, Michigan, and there learned the carriage making trade. At the age of twenty-one he went to Janesville, Wisconsin, and in 1861, enlisted in company A, 13th Wisconsin infantry as a private, but was afterward promoted to the first lieutenancy. He served upon the staff of Gen. Rosseau in the topographical department for eleven months, with headquarters at Nashville, Tennessee. At the close of the war he was mustered out there, and went back to Wisconsin. He came to Springfield in February, 1868, and followed his trade until 1878, when he, in partnership with Jess & Weaver, manufactured carriages until 1882, when he sold out, and in partnership with his father-in-law, Asa Root, opened a grocery store at 712 Boonville street. He married Miss Sara E. Root, of Janesville, Wisconsin. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church, of which he is clerk, deacon, and superintendent of Sunday school. Mr. Bowerman has been secretary of the public school board for seven years. His father died in 1864, at Battle Creek, Michigan, and his mother is still living at that place. They had a family of eight children, two girls and six boys, and our subject Milton, one of the six boys, is one of Greene's best citizens. 
BENJAMIN R. BREWER. This gentleman is the son of Fredrick and Sarah (Wright) Brewer, and was born in Polk county, Tennessee, April 2d, 1852. His parents moved to Arkansas in 1859. When the war began his father enlisted as a volunteer in the Confederate service, and died in 1863. In 1866 his mother moved to Greene county, Missouri. He was educated in the public schools aided by his own industry at home. In 1873 and 1874 he taught school in this county. In 1874 he read law and upon the 25th of March, 1875, was admitted to the bar at Marshfield, before R. W. Fyan, judge. In 1877 was admitted at Mt. Home, Arkansas, and also at Little Rock in U. S. court, upon the 3d. of June, 1879, by Judge Caldwell. He took charge of the Webster County News November 14th, 1881, as editor, and published a vigorous paper for fourteen months, chiefly directed against the then dominant political party of that county. He came to Springfield February 15th, 1883, and is now one of the most promising young attorneys of the city. Mr. Brewer was married March 10th, 1875, to Miss Addie Wisby, at Marshield. Their union has been blest with two daughters and one son, Gertude, Clara, and Harold. Mr. Brewer is a Mason and I. O. O. F. and a member of the Christian church, and his wife of the Congregationalist. His parents had four sons, Benjamin being the second. His mother died in Webster county in the fall of 1880.
JOSEPH BUCK. This gentleman is the son of Joseph and Sarah (Medley) Buck, and was born at Hull, Yorkshire, England, October 25th, 1844. In 1850, his parents come to the United States, landing at New York. They soon after came West with an English colony, and settled in Clinton county, Iowa. They lived there two years, and then moved to Dubuque, and then to Dewitt, Iowa. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in May, 1870, and, in the following December, went into the grocery business. The store was burned in 1875, but they soon resumed business. The firm at that time was Morhiser & Co., but in November, 1880, it became Joseph Buck & Co. Mr. Buck was married at Dubuque, Iowa, July 9th, 1868, to Miss Mary L. Morhiser. They have two children, George M. and Mary A., Mr. Buck is a member of the K. of H. and the I. O. O. F. His wife is a member of the Episcopal church. His father was also a native of Hull, England, and died in that country in 1869, while on a visit. His mother died in Iowa. They had five sons and three daughters, Joseph being the sixth child.
JOHN L. CARSON. Mr. Carson is the son of Jesse H. and Nancy Carson, and was born in Williamson county, Tennessee, November 4th, 1833. He came to Springfield, Missouri, July 29th, 1855, and began work for William McAdams in the saddlery and harness business. He worked at his trade some fifteen months, and then accepted a clerkship in the dry goods store of Shepard & Kimbrough. After staying with them six months, he worked again at his trade a short time, and then sold goods for Vinton & Hornbeak two years. After the battle of Wilson's Creek, he left Springfield, but returned and clerked for L. A. D. Crenshaw for a year, and then for two years the firm was Crenshaw & Carson. He then went into the drug business with Oliver Smith. In 1866 Smith sold out, and the style of the firm was J. L. Carson & Co. Mr. Carson then bought out the concern and changed the business back to dry goods. In 1870 he went to St. Louis, and was a travelling salesman for a year. He returned to Springfield, and was of the firm of Hornbeak, Carson & Oliver eight months, and, from September, 1871, to February, 1873, was of the firm of Doling, Carson & Robberson, of North Springfield. In February, 1874, be bought out Massey & Onstott, and has continued the dry goods business ever since. He also owns the grain elevator on Jefferson and St. Louis streets, and has been dealing in grain, more or less since 1874. He was married December 12th, 1864, to Miss Annie E., daughter of Maj. Joseph Weaver, sr. They have three sons and one daughter. His father was born in Virginia, and died in Tennessee in 1874. His mother was born in North Carolina, and died in Tennessee in 1858. They had a family of five sons and three daughters, John L. being the third child. 
LEWIS S. CASS. Mr. Cass is the son of Dudley and Martha (Robbins) Cass, and was born in Madison county, New York November 8, 1838. When he was about six years of age his parents moved to Wisconsin. When Lewis was about twenty-three years of age he went to Lake county, Illinois, where he lived two years. He then went to Benton county, Iowa where he also lived two years, and then, in 1867, came to Springfield. In July of that year he taught a select school for a few weeks upon Boonville street. In September of that year he took a position in the public school where he taught three years. In August he commenced selling groceries and continued the business while he was engaged in teaching. In 1875 they built a store-house they now occupy upon College street. It is a two-story brick, 20x80 feet. The grocery firm of L. S. Cass & Co. is one of the oldest and best in the city. They own besides their business house, the house occupied by Parce & Gray. Mr. Cass married Charlotte Collier, of Lake county Illinois. They have six children, one boy and five girls. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. of H., and A. O. U. W. He was elected upon the Democratic ticket to the city council from the fourth ward in 1878 and 1879. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church.
ROBERT A. CLARK is the son of John B. and Margaret (Horner) Clark, and was born at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, June 19, 1824. His parents emigrated to Missouri, 1837, and settled at Warsaw, Benton county. Robert went to California in 1849 and returned to Melville, Dade county, Missouri, in 1861, where he, in partnership with T. A. Switzler sold goods. In 1871 he represented Dade county in the Legislature, being elected upon the Republican ticket. In 1874 was elected presiding justice of the Dade county court. In 1876 he came to Springfield and was of the firm of Peck & Clark in the wholesale and retail notion business until 1879. When the Queen City Milling Company was organized, he took stock and was chosen manager, which position he now holds. He was married at Warsaw, Missouri, in September, 1862, to Miss Julia A. Withrow, of Virginia. They have four children, two boys and two girls. Judge Clark is a strong advocate of the temperance cause, and Mrs. Clark is a member of the Calvary Presbyterian church. Judge Clark has in his possession an old musket, that was carried by his grandfather in the Revolutionary war.
THOMAS CONLON. Is the son of Roger and Mary (Smith) Conlon, and was born November 23, 1832, in county Leitrim, Ireland. At the age of eighteen he came to America, landing in New York City. He soon after went to Auburn, New York where he learned the carpenter's trade In 1851 he went to Cincinnati, and from there to Columbus, Ohio, where he lived until 1864. He then went to Chicago, where he lived until 1859, and then removed to St. Louis where he lived until 1870. While in St. Louis he had charge of the repair work in the post-office building from Lincoln's to Grant's administration. He also had charge of Jefferson Barracks as foreman, for four months. In 1870 he moved to Lebanon, Laclede county, Missouri, and built the Catholic church of that place. In 1872 he came to Springfield, and was soon appointed foreman of the carpenter construction of the "Frisco" railroad in the Cherokee nation. He then went to Texas, and was superintendent of bridge construction for a private corporation for eight months. He returned to this place and lived three years, and then went to Leadville, Colorado, and followed mining and carpentering for a year and returned to Springfield, where he has since lived. Mr. Conlon is a large contractor and builder, having built many of the business blocks and fine residences of the city. He is a director and valuator of the Building and Loan Association of Springfield. He is a member of the city council from the first ward, elected upon the Democratic ticket. Is vice-president of St. Vincent De Paul Society, a Catholic organization. He was married January 15, 1853, to Miss Ann Mooney, of Columbus, Ohio. Their union has been blest with nine children, six boys and three girls, all living, and all members of the Catholic church. Mr. Conlon's father died in Ireland in 1845, and his mother died at sea in 1848, on her way to America. They had seven girls and five boys, of whom, Thomas is the second one. 
M. D. CORDRAY. Mr. Cordray is the son of J. P. and Sallie A. (Allen) Cordray, and was born near Farmington, Delaware, November, 1846, and was educated at the Farrnington institute. In January, 1869, he went to Attica, Ind., and lived in the State of Indiana until 1878. He then went to Shelby county, Tenn., where he was superintendent of a large cotton plantation for two years. In the spring of 1880, he went to Lonoke county, Ark., and engaged in the hotel business for fifteen months, and then moved to Gallaway, Ark., where be was in the mercantile business until January, 1883, when he came to Springfield, Mo. Mr. Cordray is a member of the Knights of Pythias, having joined Lonoke lodge, No. 9. He is past chancellor, and was master of finance for two years, and also a member of the Endowment Ring, K. of P. Mr. Cordray was married March 9, 1873 to Mary O. Pierce. He and wife are both members of the M. E. church. His father was a native of Delaware, and was a large real estate owner, and dealt largely in fine stock. He died at his home in Delaware, February 16, 1881. His wife died when our subject was but thirteen years of age. They had seven children, five sons and two daughters.
CHARLES W. CRAWFORD. Mr. Crawford is a son of Charles and Lucy (McNeil) Crawford, and was born October 14, 1825, in Robertson county, Tennessee. His parents died, and are buried in the county which gave him birth. Charles W. received his education at the common and private schools of his section, and at Walnut Academy in Robertson county, Tenn. He began teaching school in 1852, and continued until 1857, when he closed his last school in Tennessee, in Cheatham county. On the 28th of April, 1857, he reached Springfield, Missouri, where he shortly afterwards married Sallie M. daughter of John H. and Nancy M. (Holland) Jernigan, and then returned to Tennessee. In November, 1857, he came back to Springfield, stopping with his father-in-law until June, 1858, when he moved to Keetesville (now Washburn), Barry county, Missouri, and on the 14th of the same month took charge of a private school called the Union Institute, which he conducted until 1861. In January, 1862, he returned to Springfield and lived upon the farm of his father-in-law until September, 1864, when he accepted a clerkship in the quartermaster's department, then at Springfield, where he remained until the war closed. Mr. Crawford then taught school in and around Springfield until 1876. In 1868 he moved into Springfield, and bought property, and in 1871, sold his town property and bought a small farm, two miles east, on the St. Louis road, where he now resides. He has a family of six boys and one girl. His wife died July 17, 1882, and is buried beside her father, mother, and two brothers in the family burying-ground. In 1880 he was nominated by the Republican party for county collector, and elected. His son, Alonzo B., was his deputy. He is a Mason, and has been secretary of the lodge, and is regarded by all as an upright official and a thorough gentleman. 
CHARLES L. DALRYMPLE. This gentleman is the son of Allen S. and Eliza (Churchill) Dalrymple, and was born March 2, 1832, in Marion county, Tenn. He was educated at Knoxville and Chattanooga, and in 1849 he came to Springfield, Missouri. Shortly afterward he left Springfield for Santa Fe, New Mexico, where for two years he was agent for a transfer company. He then traveled about for some two years and then returned to Chattanooga, Tenn., where he lived until 1866. In 1867 he went to Memphis, where he remained until 1868. He was engaged in railroad construction work until 1860. April 29, 1868, he was appointed assistant U. S. Assessor for the eighth district of Tennessee, and held that office until 1866. He was then appointed U. S. cotton weigher, which position he retained until 1868, being also at the time tobacco inspector. July 21, 1868, he came to Springfield, and in the latter part of that year was made assistant U. S. assessor for the counties of Laclede, Dallas, Polk and Cedar, and held that office until 1871. In 1872 he was deputy circuit clerk of Polk county, and in 1873 came back to Springfield, where he was deputy county recorder for some time @1874-6, he was city recorder upon Republica,n ticket, an& was elected justice of the peace in 1874, and resigned in. 1879. Mr. Dalrymple was married March 21, 1866, to Miss Martha J. Thurston. Their union was blest with three sons and four daughters. His father was born Dec. 18, 1802, and is yet living. His mother was a native of Virginia, and died in 1856. They had but one child, Charles L.
EDWARD C. DAVIS. Mr. Davis is a son of Charles and Mary (Cummings) Davis, and was born in Wisconsin, March 21, 1854. His parents moved to Iowa when Edward was an infant, and settled upon a farm in Johnson county, fourteen miles from Iowa City. It was here Edward grow up and attended the public schools of the neighborhood. When he was seventeen years of age his mother moved with the family to Missouri, his father remaining in Iowa to settle up his business. He died, however, in Iowa, and Ed. and his mother located at Springfield. He attended Drury college three consecutive terms, beginning the second term after the opening of that institution. He then went to live with Mr. E. C. Powell, with whom he farmed, and in 1872 his mother died, and then he began farming for himself, and part of the time operated a threshing machine. He was appointed deputy sheriff in October, 1877, under Sheriff A. J. Potter, and has served ever since, receiving his last appointment from Sheriff Patterson. Mr. Davis was married June 12, 1879 to Miss Alice M., daughter of Z. M. Rountree, Esq., of this county. Mr. Davis has made an efficient officer, and enjoys the confidence of a large circle of friends. He is a member of the C. P. church.
HON. DANIEL E. DAVIS. This gentleman is the son of lsaac N. and Malinda A. (Gillespie) Davis, and was born July 6, 1884, in what is now Pulaski county, Missouri. When he was fourteen years of age his parents moved to California. Daniel returned in 1855, and in the latter part of that year went back to California. He remained there until 1858, when he again returned to Missouri. He was educated in his native county, and at the university at Sonora, California. In 1868 he enlisted in company A, 48th Missouri volunteers, as first lieutenant, but soon promoted captain. He was mustered out January 30th, 1865, at St. Louis, and returned to Richland, Pulaski county, where he was for many years engaged in farming, building and merchandising. In 1870 he was elected upon the Democratic ticket to represent the county in the Legislature. He was the representative of the county every time but once until 1877. He had been county surveyor of Hickory county from 1858 until the war began. He came to Springfield in the fall of 1881, and is now extensively engaged in contracting and building. He employs a large force of help and has already taken high rank in the business. Mr. Davis was married November 2, 1856, to Miss Mary P., daughter of A. N. Foster, county and circuit clerk of Hickory county, Missouri. They have two sons and two daughters. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church. Mr. Davis is a Mason and a member of the A. O. U. W. His oldest son, C. H. Davis, is prosecuting attorney of Pulaski county. 
WILLIAM H. DAVIS. Mr. Davis is the son of Robert and Mahala J. (Murray) Davis, and was born December 16, 1847, in Cass township, Greene county, Mo. When he was fifteen years of age his parents moved to Gentry county, Mo., where he received his education. In 1867 they came to Polk county, Mo., where they lived a year, and then moved to Walnut Grove, Greene, county, Mo. William taught school and read law, and was admitted to the bar in March, 1878, at Springfield. He practiced at Walnut Grove until November, 1881, when he came to Springfield. His parents came to this county in 1847, from Monroe county, Tennessee, and settled upon Clear creek, where they lived three years, and then moved to Lawrence county and lived there six years, and returned to Greene. Mr. Robert Davis was second lieutenant for six months in the Home Guards. In 1868, 1869, and 1870 he operated a carding machine, and was connected with a saw and grist mill at Walnut Grove. William's grandfather, Lewis Davis, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and served under Gen. Jackson. At the battle of Horseshoe he was taken prisoner. He is now living at Lebanon, Laclede county, Mo., aged eighty-eight.
CALEB W. DAWLEY. This gentleman is the son of James and Nannie H. (Ambrose) Dawley and was born April 2, 1859, in Covington, Ky. His parents moved to Kansas City, Mo., in 1867. He received his education at Kansas City, William Jewell college, and at the State university at Columbia, graduating in the class of 1879. He then returned home and taught school at Belton, Cass county, for a year. Here he met the lady whom he married December 28, 1881. She was Miss Lula Boyer. He and his wife are both members of the Baptist church. He came to Springfield in May, 1881, where he has since been superintendent of the Springfield Gas-Light Company. His parents are living upon a farm near Kansas City. They have three sons, Caleb W. being the oldest.
GEORGE SALE DAY. This gentleman was born at Lynchburg, Va., December 23, 1826. In 1837 he came to St. Louis, where he was educated in private schools, and at Xavier's College, now St. Louis University. While in St. Louis he learned brick-laying and brick-making and then became a contractor, and has since followed that business. In 1850 he went to New Orleans and stayed there until 1862. He then went to Vicksburg, where he lived until 1856. He next returned to St. Louis, where lived until 1871, when he came to Springfield, and has since made this his home. He has had contracts on many of the best buildings in the city. Mr. Day was married at New Orleans in 1852 to Theresa A. Fox. Their union was blest with one child, Laura, who married Prof. S. M. Godby, of Morrisville Institute. She died February 18, 1880, leaving an infant daughter. Mr. Day's first wife died May 29, 1882. In December following Mr. Day was married at Independence, Mo., to Mrs. L. C. Leftwich, by Dr. W. M. Prottsman. In 1876, Mr. Day was elected councilman of the city, serving two years, and in 1882 he was elected mayor upon the Republican ticket. Mr. Day was a Whig during his early life, but, on the dissolution of that party, became a Republican. He is a member of the M. E. Church South, and has been since eleven years of age. His father was Ezekiel Day, and mother was Miss Elizabeth Sale, a daughter of Col. George Sale, of the war of 1812. Mr. Day was named for him.
THOMAS J. DELANEY. Mr. Delaney is the son of James and Alice (Mahon) Delaney, and was born at New Orleans, La., May 10, 1859. His parents were natives of Ireland, and came to this country when still young. They first stopped in New York city, but moved to Now Orleans in 1858. They had four daughters and one son. His father was a Confederate soldier and was killed in battle. Thomas was educated at St. Mary's academy at New Orleans, and at the age of fifteen left home. In April, 1874, he came to North Springfield, Mo., and worked for the St. L. & S. F. R. R. for four years, being, during the time, fireman, baggage-master, and store-keeper. For seven months he was clerk in the offices at St. Louis. He entered the St. Louis law school October, 16, 1878, and graduated June 9, 1880, taking the highest honors of a class of twenty-nine. He then practiced law for a year in the office of Britton A. Hill. In June, 1881, he came to Springfield, and on April 4, 1882, was elected city attorney upon the Democratic ticket. Mr. Delaney was married December 29, 1880. to Miss Cordie, daughter of Hon. S. H. Boyd. They have one child, Thomas James. 
S. DINGELDEIN. Mr. Dingeldein was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Middle Germany, October 15th, 1842. He learned the trade of a brewer, and traveled around for some seven years. He landed at New York City, October 6th, 1867, and went from there to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and in October, 1868, he went to St. Louis, Mo. He worked in the largest breweries and malt-houses of that city for over eight years, and then came to Springfield, Missouri. He was married in St. Louis to Miss Dora Stuet. They have two sons and one daughter. His father died in Germany in 1859, and his mother died in 1862. They had a family of seven girls and six boys. Four boys and four girls are yet living. The brewery was built by Buehner & Finkenauer in 1872. Mr. Dingeldein leased the property in October, 1876, for ten years, and in June, 1882, bought it before the lease expired. The old cellar is 16x36, 11½ feet high; fomenting cellar is 30x15; brew-house is 25x30 feet; the new cellar is 68x88, 13 feet high, and will store 1,200 barrels. The walls are of the best rock and laid in cement. The new brewery is 40x40, 2½ stories high. When first started the brewery turned out eight hundred barrels per year. In 1882 they made twenty-one hundred.
F. M. DONNELL. Mr. Donnell was born December 22d, 1847, in Jackson township, Greene county, Missouri, and received his education in the country schools of his neighborhood. In 1864 he enlisted in Company E, 16th Missouri cavalry, and was in the battles of Big Blue, Jefferson City, and Lexington. He was mustered out June 30th, 1865. In 1868 he went to California, and for several years he was foreman upon a farm of fifteen thousand acres. He returned to Missouri and lived a year at Sedalia and then came back to Greene county. He was on the police force in 1879, 1880 and 1882. In November, 1882, he was elected to the office of constable of Campbell township. Mr. Donnell married Miss Jerusha Roberts, who died in March, 1879, leaving two sons. He was married the second time to Mattie J. Williams, a native of Knox county, Kentucky. Mr. Donnell is a member of the K. of P.
JOHN H. DUNCAN. Mr. Duncan is the son of Harvey and Mary (Bowden) Duncan, and was born at Georgetown, Kentucky, January 8th, 1854. He was educated at Evansville, Indiana, Canton, Illinois, and McGee College, Macon county, Missouri. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in March, 1876, and studied law in the office of Bray & Cravens, and was admitted to the bar upon the 20th of October, 1876. He was elected, upon the Republican ticket, city recorder, in April, 1878, and re-elected in 1879. In November, 1878, he was elected justice of the peace, and served four years. He was appointed notary public by Gov. Crittenden, January 19th, 1883. He is now a practicing attorney before the courts and has the qualifications to succeed. Mr. Duncan was married June 6th, 1877, to Miss L. A. Carson. They have two children, Hume and Leroy. His father is living at Canton, Illinois, and his mother died at Evansville, Indiana, in 1861.
GEORGE D. EMERY. Mr. Emery is the son of Amasa and Abigail (Dutton) Emery, and was born December 4, 1881, in Cheshire county, New Hampshire. His father is yet living there, and his mother died in 1876. They had seven children, but two of whom are now living, George D. and Alonzo A. George was educated in his native county, and in 1850 went to New York city where he lived about fifteen years in that city and in Brooklyn. He was in the hotel business for about twelve years, and 1861 had a contract to feed the soldiers of several regiments for three months, when Chester A. Arthur was quartermaster general. September 20, 1870 he came to Springfield Missouri, and for nine years was of the firm of Emery & Comstock, furniture dealers. In 1880 he was elected marshal of the city of Springfield, upon the Democratic ticket and served one year. He is now the proprietor of a general feed store on South street. Mr. Emery was married October 23, 1863 to Miss Maria Van Arsdale, of Brooklyn, N. Y. They have two sons, Alonzo W. and Frank E. Mr. Emery is a member of the Knights of Honor, and Mrs. Emery is a member of the Calvary Presbyterian Church. 
CAPTAIN, S. H. EPLEY. This gentleman was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, November 15, 1848, and is a son of George W. and Catherine Epley. When about two years of age his parents moved to Marion, Ohio, where his teacher died, and he learned the carpenter's trade. In April, 1861, he enlisted in company K, 4th Ohio, infantry, as a private, and served three years with that company. He was promoted to second lieutenant, and after a successful engagement against Colonel Ashby he was promoted to the captaincy of his company, and served with that rank until the war closed. He was in the "Gibraltar Brigade," and was wounded five times, three times severely, viz.: by a sabre cut in the head at Rappahannock, and left for dead; he next received a severe bayonet thrust while charging a North Carolina brigade who were behind a stone wall at Gettysburg; and was shot in the knee in front of Richmond, and nearly died from lockjaw. After the war he returned to Marion, Ohio, and in the spring of 1866 went to Mansfield, Ohio, but in the fall of the same year he came to St. Louis and followed his trade until 1879. He then came to Springfield and engaged in contracting and building. Captain Epley was married October 26, 1878, to Miss Rebecca, daughter of Enoch and Emily Harris, of St. Louis. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. societies.
THOMAS J. EPPERSON. This gentleman is the son of Joseph and Jane (Walker) Epperson, and was born in Hawkins county, Tennessee, February 13, 1808. His father died when be was but six years of age, and at the age of thirteen he went to Kentucky and engaged in driving cattle. He remained in that State about nine years, and in November, 1837, came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled about fourteen miles south of Springfield, where he lived for some time and then removed to within four miles of Springfield, where he lived until 1875, when he moved into the city and has lived here ever since. Mr. Epperson was married in 1829, in Hawkins county, Tennessee, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Wolf. Mr. Epperson began life without a dollar, and now has a sufficient competency to live upon without being actively engaged in business.
DR. ARTHUR H. EVERSOL. This gentleman is the son of Silas and Sarah (Godman) Eversol, and was born in St. Louis, Mo., September 27, 1849. He was educated in that city and at the military institute near Kirkwood, Mo. He first studied his profession in the office of Dr. P. L. Williams, of Cairo, Ill. He came to Springfield, Mo., in 1873, and studied for some time in the office Dr. C. F. Wright. He now has a large and lucrative practice. Dr. Eversol was married April 9, 1877, to Miss Minnie, daughter of Mrs. Dr. Augustus Smith, of Springfield. They have one child, a daughter. He and his wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church. The doctor's parents are now living at Commerce, Mo. They had four children, two sons and two daughters. The girls are both dead. His father was a Virginian, and settled in St. Louis in 1829. 
CYRUS M. EVERSOL. Mr. Eversol is the son of E. K. and T. A. (Godman) Eversol, and was born in Cape Girardeau county, Missouri, July 11, 1839. He received his education at the St. Louis High School, and then learned the miller's trade in Scott county, Missouri. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company A, 15th Illinois cavalry. He participated in the battles of Shiloh, Fort Henry, and Corinth. He was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., September 1, 18__, when he returned to Scott county, Missouri, where he lived some four years. In July, 1868, he came to Springfield, Mo. In 1870 he built the Eagle Mills, on Boonville street and has carried on that business ever since coming here. The firm is now Eversol & Son. Mr. Eversol was married November 29, 1864, in Scott county, Missouri, to Miss Julia Rhodes. Their union was blest with three children, Felix, Anne, and Hattie. He and his wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church, and he belongs to the A. O. U. W.
JONATHAN FAIRBANKS. This gentleman is the son of Varnum and Margaret (Haddin) Fairbanks, and was born in Andover, Massachusetts, January 7, 1828. When he was about a year old his parents moved to New York, and his father, being a manufacturer, took charge of a large factory. His father died in 1832, and the family then returned to Massachusetts. Mr. Fairbanks is a fourth cousin of Fairbanks, the inventor of the celebrated scales of that name. Jonathan lived with an uncle at Sudbury, Massachusetts, until he was eighteen years of age, and then went to school for three years. First went to New Ipswich, and from there went to Wilmington, Delaware, and taught school just out of the city for several years. He next went to St. Mary's, Ohio, and taught as first assistant there, and went to Piqua and took charge of the high school for a year. He then returned to St. Mary's, where be remained six years as superintendent of the public schools. He again went back to Pique where he was superintendent of the high school there for five years. He resigned his position in the fall of 1866, and came to Springfield, Missouri where engaged in the lumber and real estate business for about ten years. Subsequently he accepted the superintendency of the public school here, to which position he had been elected in 1875. He has held the position ever since, save one year when he traveled. R. L. Goode, Esq., was in charge of the school during Mr. Fairbanks' absence. Mr. Fairbanks has been mayor of the city, member of the council, member of the board of education three years, and president of the board two years. During the time he had been traveling he has done hard and faithful work, so hard, indeed, that his health ran down under it, and he had to desist from overwork. He taught his first school as Ashby, Massachusetts, and it was pronounced the best in the place. He was married August, 1855, to Miss Angie Bowker, daughter of Noyes and Mary Bowker. They were educated together at Sudbury, Massachusetts. By this union they have four children living, viz., Annie P., George B., John W. and James O. Mr. Fairbanks is one of the best educators in the country and deserves his popularity. 
COL. H. F. FELLOWS. Col. Fellows, whose full Christian name is Homer Franklin, was born in Wellsborough, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, July 30th, 1882. Johnathan Fellows, grandfather of Homer F., came from England prior to the Revolution, and settled first in Connecticut, where Erastus Fellows, father to the subject of this sketch, was born. They subsequently (1815) moved to Pennsylvania, where Erastus married Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson, relict of Moses Johnson, who became the mother of Col. Fellows. Homer passed his early life in Wellsborough, where his father was a hotel-keeper and farmer. He worked on the farm in spring and summer and, during winter, attended the schools of his native town. He spent one year in a general merchandise store at the age of eighteen, then taught school one term at Osceola, Pennsylvania, at the conclusion of which he entered Geneseo College, at Lima, New York, remaining one year. In 1853, be, being "of age," started with a party to Texas, but changed his mind and went to Iowa. He had procured letters of introduction to some prominent gentlemen, including Gov. Grimes. Procuring an engagement as traveling salesman for Geer & Baum, of Burlington, he remained one year, till the firm dissolved, traveling on both sides of the Des Moines river with a team. After the dissolution, Mr. Fellows was employed in settling up the business, and in 1854, was sent by Mr. Baum with a stock of goods to Chariton, Iowa, where he remained a year, and wound up the business when Baum sold out. He then came to this State and went into the real estate business with Messrs. Scheller & Baum, in Plattsburg, where he remained till 1867, when he established two other offices, one in Warsaw, Benton county, and another in Springfield, this county, the firm then being Fellows, Todd, & Robinson, he taking charge of the Springfield office. Col. Fellows was married November 18th, 1859, to Miss Vidie, daughter of Maj. R. J. McElhaney. She died at Springfield, October 10th, 1869, leaving three daughters—Emma, Clara, and Adah. He was again married August 18th, 1872, to Miss Minnie L. Boyden, daughter of Capt. Ezekiel Boyden, of Peoria, Illinois. During the civil war, Col. Follows was engaged in the mercantile business at Rolla, Phelps county, but left there in 1864, to engage in the wholesale grocery business in St. Louis. He was associated with several different firms in St. Louis till the spring of 1867, when he moved to Arlington, then the Southwest Pacific R. R. terminus, where he was interested in business. When the road was completed to Springfield be moved to that point, engaging in merchandising and erecting an elevator, which was burned in 1872. In December of that year he became superintendent of the Springfield wagon factory. Two years later he and his brother bought out the concern, assuming all liabilities. They are still conducting the factory and the reputation of the "Springfield wagon" is well and most favorably known throughout the Southwest. In 1865 Col. Fellows was a director of the Missouri Loan Bank, and also of the Occidental Insurance Company. He was Lieut. Colonel of the 68d Missouri Militia, called into active service on Price's raid into this State. In 1861 he was appointed register of lands by President Lincoln. He was elected mayor of Springfield in 1877, and re-elected by an increased majority in 1878. Few men have more of genuine public spirit than Col. Fellows, or are more ready to further public improvements by purse and personal action. He took a leading part in the construction of the Springfield street railway, and when the water-works question was agitated, he lead out in that enterprise, and paid for the carriages, out of his own pocket, to bring voters to the polls the day the question was carried in favor of the Perkins proposition to supply the city with water. In politics Col. Fellows is an independent Republican. He is a Mason and an Odd Fellow, and a member of the Brotherhood of Druids, and Knights of Honor. He is liberal in his religious opinions, and willing that all men should do their own thinking.
JOHN R. FERGUSON. Mr. Ferguson is the son of John S. and Elizabeth (Allison) Ferguson and was born February 10, 1842, in Pike county, Missouri. He received his education at the country schools of his neighborhood and worked upon his father's farm until he was seventeen years of age, when he took a clerkship in the patent medicine house of Coyle & Potter, in St. Louis, in 1860. He remained with the firm until the war began in 1861. He returned home and enlisted in the Federal service under Colonel T. J. C. Fagg for six months. He was mustered out and then re-enlisted in the Third, afterwards the Tenth M. S. M., for three years' service. He enlisted as a private, but was after a short time promoted to 2d sergeant. Upon the 14th of April, 1866, he was mustered out at Macon City, Missouri. He was then appointed by Governor Fletcher to a clerkship in the office of Paymaster General William J. Dougherty, of Gov. Fletcher's staff. He served in that capacity for two years, and then went to Ironton, Missouri, and engaged in the drug business with Dr. J. & McCormack, who subsequently represented that district for two terms in Congress. Mr. Ferguson married in Jefferson City, Missouri May 8, 1867, Miss Virginia C. daughter of Hon. Jared E. and Sarah Roberta (Mask) Smith. Mr. Smith was at that time state register of lands. They have been blest with eight children, four boys and four girls. The oldest, a girl, died in infancy. Mr. Ferguson followed the drug business until 1868, when he was appointed docket clerk of the State Senate by Hon. G. A. Moser, secretary of that body. In the spring of 1869, he and his father-in-law, Hon. Jared E. Smith came to Springfield and bought out the drug store of W. G. Gray & Co., and carried on the business until 1876 when he sold his interest to W. A. Hall, and engaged in farming and stock rearing. This proved unprofitable, and in the fall of 1878 he was elected upon the Republican ticket to the office of circuit court clerk. He was renominated in 1882, and re-elected. He has been a member of the city council once, and city treasurer two terms. He is a member of the Knights Templar, and Royal Arch Chapter, and of the A. O. U. W. Himself and wife are members of the Christain church. His father was a Virginian and his mother a native of Franklin county, Kentucky. They were among the early settlers of Pike county, Missouri. 
COL. HEZEKIAH FLETCHER. Col. Fletcher is the son of Abraham and Margaret (Crocker) Fletcher, and was born June 16th, 1818, in Washington county, Maine. He was educated at Washington academy, and graduated from the Worcester medical college of Massachusetts in 1848. He practiced at Grafton, Mass., for two years, and then went to St. Anthony's Falls, now Minneapolis, Minnesota, and continued the practice there two years. He then sold goods there many years, and was one of the largest merchants of the place. During the last four years of his residence there, he was receiver of public moneys in the land office, having been appointed by President Lincoln. As receiver of public moneys, hundreds of thousands of dollars passed through his hands, all of which was scrupulously and accurately accounted for by Col. Fletcher. When a final settlement on his accounts was had at Washington City, there was to his credit, which still stands on the books, the Colonel keeping it there with the gratified consciousness that "Uncle Sam" is in his debt. He was also prominent Governor in equipping several regiments for the war. He came to Springfield, Mo. in March, 1867, and engaged in the mercantile business for about eight years, and in the real estate and insurance business. Col. Fletcher was married to Miss Priscilla S. Sanborn. Their union has been blest with five children, two sons and three daughters. Three are now living, one son and two daughters. His wife died in 1858, and in 1862, he was married the second time, to Miss Laura Woodbridge, of Lincoln county, Maine. One daughter was born to this marriage. Col. Fletcher's father died in 1866 and his mother 1869, at Minneapolis. They had twelve children, nine boys and three girls.
JOHN L. GARDNER. Mr. Gardner is the son of John and Letty (Woods) Gardner, and was born in Barren county, Kentucky, May 27, 1815. When he was quite a small boy his parents moved to Carroll county, Tennessee. Shortly after, they came to Greene county, Missouri, and entered the land where the 'Frisco depot now stands. They lived there two years, and then moved to Springfield, where John L. learned the trade of a wagon and carriage maker, and has followed it ever since. During the war he remained in Springfield, and helped to bury the dead at the battle of Wilson's Creek. Mr. Gardner was married to Miss Matilda E. Parker, of Kentucky. Their union was blessed with four sons and three daughters. His first wife dying, he was married, the second time, to Miss Freeman, by whom he had three sons and two daughters, all living. Mr. Gardner's father was a native of North Carolina. He moved from his native Stae to Kentucky, from there to Tennessee, thence to Dallas county, Missouri, and finally to Greene county.
WILLIAM C. GARDNER. Mr. Gardner is the son of J. L., and Matilda (Parker) Gardner, and was born in Polk county, Mo., November 11, 1849, and came to Springfield when but a small boy. He was educated in Springfield, at private schools. He is one of seven children, four boys and three girls. His twin brother, James A., died September 28d, 1882. They had been proprietors of the "Twin Brothers"' saloon for five years. William now conducts the business himself. 
JUDGE WASHINGTON F. GEIGER. This gentleman, the present judge of the twenty-first judicial district of Missouri, was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, in June, 1836. His family ancestors on the paternal side came from Germany, and settled in Pennsylvania at an early date. His grandfather served in the Revolutionary war, and his father, Henry Geiger, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was afterward a thrifty farmer—living in his native State until 1834, when he removed to the State of Ohio, where he died in 1860. He was married in 1816, to Julian Ruebush, whose family were natives of Virginia. Washington F. Geiger received an English and classical education in Urbana, Ohio. He began the study of law in 1853, teaching school at the same time. He afterward continued his studies in the law office of his brother, in Urbana—was admitted to the bar in 1858, in Springfield, Ohio—practiced in Urbana one year, and removed to Steelville, Crawford county, Missouri, in 1859, where he practiced his profession until the outbreak of the civil war. He then organized a company of infantry, which with others was organized into the Phelps Regiment, United States volunteers. Of this regiment he was commissioned major and on the second day of that hard-fought battle of Pea Ridge, was in command of the regiment, Col. Phelps being in command of the brigade. In this engagement the Phelps regiment suffered terribly, more than one-half of the officers and enlisted men being either killed or wounded, Major Geiger having his horse killed under him by a cannon shot. In 1862, he organized at Springfield, the 8th Missouri Cavalry, United States volunteers, of which he was commissioned colonel, in June of that year. After the first six months he was put in command of the second brigade of the Army of the Frontier, and subsequently, for four months commanded the 8d division of the 7th army corps. Thence to the close of the war he commanded the 2d brigade, cavalry division, 7th army corps. Col. Geiger participated in the battles of Prairie Grove, Clarendon, Brownsville, Little Rock, Bayou Metre, Prairie Long, also a number of minor actions and skirmishes. He retired from the army at the close of the war, having given four years of honorable service to his country, and leaving behind him a record without a stain. In September, 1866, he was married to Henrietta C., daughter of Almaren Bodge,,Esq., of Portland, Maine, and located in Springfield, and at once resumed the practice of his profession. In 1868 he was elected circuit attorney of the 14th judicial circuit. In 1869 he was elected judge of the 21st judicial circuit, which was formed from parts of the 13th and 14th circuits. At the expiration of his first term, in 1874, he was re-elected, and again in 1880, at present serving his third term, he being the only judge who has presided over the courts of the 21st judicial circuit. As a practitioner Judge Geiger was regarded as a safe counsellor, and skilful in the management of his causes. Upon the bench—added to his legal attainments, his manner of conducting proceedings, dispensing even-handed justice without fear or favor, has won for him the esteem and confidence of the entire bar in this circuit. Politically he is a Republican.
THOMAS J. GIDEON. Mr. Gideon is the son of William C. and Clarinda (Byrd) Gideon, and was born in Greene county, near Ozark, Mo., January, 28, 1845. He was educated at private schools at Springfield. In 1861 he was in Capt. Jesse Gallaway's company of Home Guards for about two months, and upon the 7th of March, 1862, enlisted in company F, 14th Missouri cavalry. He was wounded January 8, 1863, in the Marmaduke attack upon Springfield, and discharged March 7, 1863. In November, 1866, he was elected county and circuit clerk of Christian county, and served two terms. He studied law in the office of his brother, Hon. James J. Gideon, at Ozark, and was admitted to the bar by Judge Geiger, in 1877. In the fall of 1880 he removed to Springfield, Mo., where he enjoys a good practice. Mr. Gideon was married to Miss L. F. Williams, of Ozark, Mo. They have been blest with three sons and two daughters. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. F. and A. M. His father was a native of North Carolina, but was taken to Hawkins county, Tennessee, when a child. He came to Greene county, Missouri, in 1836, and settled near Ozark. In the late war he enlisted in company F, 14th Mo. Cavalry, and then in company L 8th Mo. State militia. He was killed December 17, 1863, near Highlandville, Christian country, by bushwhackers. He was out recruiting for Rabb's battery. His wife is still living upon the farm in Christian county. They had seven sons and one daughter. 
JOSEPH GOTT. Mr. Gott is the son of John S. and Grace (Stubbins) Gott, and was born in Shelby county Kentucky, August 24, 1812. His father died when he was about ten years old, and he stayed upon the farm until he was twenty years of age. In 1832 he went to Bowling Green, Ky., and learned the carpenter's trade. He was married upon the 18th of October, 1833, to Miss Nancy C., daughter of John McKee, of Rutherford county, Tennessee. Their union was blest with four children three girls and one boy. The first born died in infancy, and those living are Margaret M., Sarah J., and Benjamin J. Soon after his marriage, Mr. Gott moved to Warren county, Kentucky and farmed until 1842, and then emigrated to the Red river country, Arkansas, and located in Pike county, for a short time, and then moved to Hempstead county. In October, 1845, they came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled in Springfield, in a log house where the Southern Hotel now stands. Mr. Gott then worked at his trade for about eight years, and helped to build some of the first good houses in the city. He and his son own the farm upon which are the famous Pacific springs, three miles north of Springfield. He was constable of Campbell township in 1856, and in the fall of 1862 be was employed by the government as general forage master. In 1867 he was city assessor, which position he filled with credit to himself, and his books were always reliable. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church, and he is a Mason of the best standing. His father died in 1822, and his mother 1846. They had seven children, five sons and two daughters, only three of whom are now living, viz.: Rowland S., John S., and our subject, Joseph.
CONRAD GOTTFRIED. Mr. Gottfried is the son of Sebastian and Catherine (Dillon) Gottfried, and was born December 2d, 1826, in Prussia, Germany. At the age of thirteen he commenced to learn the cabinet-makers' trade and, at the age of twenty-one, he emigrated to America, landing at New York November 13th, 1847. He lived there about twelve years, and then went to Columbus, Indiana, where he remained only one year. In 1859, he came to Springfield, Missouri, where he has since resided. He worked at his trade for a year and a half and then embarked in business for himself, opening a furniture store on Boonville street, which he kept for about eighteen years. He then moved to his present location on St. Louis Street, where he carries a magnificent stock of furniture. He was married August 24th, 1851, to Miss Eva E. Shelhurst, of New York city. They were blessed with eight children, all of whom are living, viz.: Annie, Charles, book-keeper and salesman for his father; Fernando, upholsterer of St. Louis; William, clerk, for his father; Henry, book-keeper in St. Louis; Eliza, Albert and Emma. During the war, Mr. Gottfried was a member of the Home Guards, and a member of Phelps' regiment, and participated in the battle of Pea Ridge. His father died in 1828, and his mother in 1838. They had four children, three girls and our subject, Conrad.
DANIEL GRAY. Mr. Gray is the son of Robert and Mary Gray, and was born April 18th, 1806, in Christian county, Kentucky. He was educated in the common schools of his county, and at the age of twenty-one, went to Logan county, Kentucky, and worked at the carpenter's trade until the fall of 1831, when he came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled one mile south of the James river. From there he went to Finley creek and lived six years, andt hen returned to James river, where he, in partnership with his brother-in-law, E. M. Langston, ran a saw mill for a year, sawing the lumber with which the first court-house of the county was built. He was the second assessor of the county, viz.: in 1835 and 1836. He moved to Cedar county, Missouri, in 1839, and came back to Greene in 1847. He next crossed the great plains to California, and returned in 1861. Mr. Gray was married June 4th, 1829, to Miss Elizabeth Gallion, by whom he had four boys and one girl. His first wife died April 2d, 1848, and is buried on the old Langston farm. He married October 13, 1853, Elizabeth Crumpley, and they were blessed with four boys and one girl. Mr. Gray is the tenth child of a family of twelve children, and the only one living. He is remarkably well preserved enjoying good health and a fine memory. 
G. WILSON HACKNEY. Mr. Hackney is the son of Wilson and Mary (Kimbrough) Hackney, and was born in Springfield, Mo., in the house where he now lives upon West Walnut street, May 29, 1855. He was educated here, and learned the tinner's trade, following it about seven years. In September, 1881, he formed a partnership with Ernest Speaker. The firm of Hackney & Speaker is the third largest stove and tinware house in the city. Their store is on Boonville street, and is a 70x20 two-story building, besides a warehouse 16x25. They employ three tinners, one salesman and one porter. They have been very successful in business, and are one of Springfield's substantial business firms. Mr. Hackney married Miss Ora Goffe, of this city, January 22, 1880. Their union has been blest with two children. Mrs. Hackney is a member of the Baptist church. Wilson Hackney, sr. came to Springfield from Bowling Green, Kentucky, in 1840, and was the only hat-maker ever in Springfield. He died April 12, 1863, and his widow is yet living.
WILLIAM A. HALL. Mr. Hall is the son of John and Elizabeth Hall, and was born in Tennessee, in November, 1834. His parents were Pennsylvanians by nativity, and emigrated to Tennessee in 1828, where they lived ten years, thence removing to St. Louis, where the husband and father died in 1862. In 1848, the mother, with her youngest child, was lost in a steamboat disaster on the Alabama river. William acquired a common school education in St. Louis, and resided, after his mother's death, with his married sister—Emily Jane—wife of Mr. Mordecai Oliver, then a resident of Richmond, Ray county, Missouri. While living in Richmond, he attended the academy presided over by A. C. Redman. He opened a drug store in Liberty, Mo. in 1856 in which business he continued fourteen years, then accepting the position of cashier of the Commercial Savings Bank of Liberty. In 1872, he went to Mexico, Missouri, and engaged one year in the drug business, going thence to Springfield, where he and John R. Ferguson opened a drug store. In March, 1876, he bought his partner's interest and has continued to build up an extensive wholesale and retail trade. In 1876 he was elected mayor of Springfield. Mr. Hall is a prominent Mason, and has served as W. M. of United Lodge No. 5, and also as eminent commander, of St. John's Commandery No. 20, Knights Templar. Politically he is a Democrat having cast his first vote in the interests of that party, to which he has ever since adhered. In 1856 he married Florence, daughter of Samuel Ringo, of Liberty, Missouri. Six children—four sons and two daughters—have been born to them, named: William, Samuel, Richard, Oliver L., Lizzie, and Florence. Both Mr. Hall and wife have been active members of the Christian church for a quarter of a century. Personally, Mr. Hall is a gentleman of commanding presence, and his genial social qualities and strict business rectitude, render him popular as a man and a citizen.
HENRY R. HALL. Mr. Hall is the son of Dr. James H. and Mary (McCready) Hall, and was born in St. Louis county, Missouri. He was educated in St. Louis county and at Belleview college. He attended the law school at St. Louis, and was admitted to the bar February 28th, 1882, at Hillsboro, Jefferson county, Missouri. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in September, 1882. He was married in January, 1882, to Miss Carrie Kerr, of St. Louis. They are both members of the Methodist church. Though young, Mr. Hall gives promise of becoming an able lawyer, and, to that end, has cast his lot among the good people of Greene. 
FRANK E. HEADLEY. Mr. Headley is the son of Aaron C. and Hannah (Eberly) Headley, and was born at Groveport, Franklin county, Ohio, September 5th, 1852. He was educated at the public school of Columbus, Ohio. He came with his parents to Springfield, Missouri, in October, 1870, and he and his brothers were in the game and produce business for six months. June, 1871, found them penniless, and Frank then accepted a clerkship in the grocery house of N. Kelley at a salary of twenty dollars per month. He worked there about three years and six months, and then clerked for Sutter & Townsend for six months. He then bought out Mr. Townsend's interest, and the firm became Sutter & Headley for four years. Then Oscar bought out Sutter, and the firm became Headley Bros. The firm of is now composed of Frank E. and Oscar M. They have a house 106x23 feet, two-story and a basement, and employ some seven men. They do a wholesale and retail grocery business and they do the largest retail business in the Southwest. In 1879, Frank was elected upon the Democratic ticket to the city council from the second ward, and again in 1882. His father and mother are both living in Springfield. They had five children, four sons and one daughter; the little girl died at the age of two years. The young men have had fine success, and deserve to rank as highly as any merchants in the county.
HENRY M. HECKART. Mr. Heckart is the son of John and Nancy (Pool) Heckart, and was born at Hannibal, Missouri, February 28th, 1855. In 1863, his parents moved to Marshfield, Missouri, where Henry was in the jewelry business for five years. He came to Springfield June 3d, 1879, and now has one of the leading jewelry houses in the city. He was married December 26th, 1878, to Miss Belle Jarrette, of Marionville, Missouri. They have one child, Bessie. Mr. Heckart's father was a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but came west, settling first in Iowa, then at Hannibal, then at Marshfleld. He died July 2d, 1882. His widow is living in Springfield. Their union was blest with four sons and four daughters, all of whom are living. Henry M. is a member of the K. of H., and he and wife are members of Grace M. E. church. He is one of the substantial business men of the city.
CHARLES HENRY HEER is the son of Gerhard W., and Mary E. (Klecker) Heer, and was born in the parish of Ostercappeln, province of Osnabruck, Hanover, upon the 30th of April, 1820. His father died in January, 1820, and Mr. Heer is consequently a posthumous child. He was educated in Germany at the common schools, and in company with his mother and step-father, Lewis Schneider, emigrated to America; landed at Baltimore, December, 1835. From there they went to Wheeling, West Virginia, and stayed a short time, and then went to St. Louis, Mo., in January, 1836. He soon found employment in the wholesale china and glassware house of R. D. Watson, where he remained six or seven years. In October, 1842, he, in partnership with an old schoolmate, Rudolph Hiltkamp, started a general grocery store, but sold out in 1843, and with Bernard L. Meyer, went into business on the corner of Eighth and Franklin streets. His health failing in 1844, be bought a farm in Monroe county, Illinois, where he lived two years, when he returned to St. Louis and remained there until 1847, when be again went to Illinois and opened a general store at Waterloo, and continued to sell goods until the war, when he again moved upon the farm. In March, 1868, he came to Springfield, Missouri, and purchased the lot where his fine store now stands, upon Boonville street. The building was completed in 1869, and in 1871 the firm of Heer, Farmer & Co., was organized. In 1874 C. H. Heer bought out his partners, and the firm changed to C. H. Herr & Co., C. H., jr., being the other member of the firm. They have one of the largest wholesale and retail dry goods and boot and shoe houses in Southwest Missouri, having two traveling salesmen and about fifteen clerks in the store. O. H. Heer is manager of the wholesale department, and W. C. Hornbeak, of the retail department. Mr. Heer was married January 6, 1846, to Miss E. Beneneman, of St. Charles county, Missouri. They had seven children, four boys and three girls, viz.: C. H., Henry L. (died April, 1882), Mary E. widow of William Crodus), Agnes (a sister of the Sacred Heart, St. Louis), Lewis H. (died April 30, 1863, at Waterloo, Ill.), and Celia Ann. Mrs. Heer died December 25, 1881, and is buried in the Catholic cemetery at Springfield. She was a member of the Catholic church for twenty-four years, and all the family are of the same faith and belong to that church. Mr. Heer was chairman of the financial committee tin the city council in 1875, and has been urged to run for mayor, but declined. 
FRANCES S. HEFFERNAN. Mr. Heffernan is the son of Stephen S. and Margaret (O'Day) Heffernan, and was born in Walworth county, Territory of Wisonsin, March 18th, 1846. He was educated at the country schools of his native county, and at Hamilton University, at Red Wing, Minnesota. He afterwards took a course of study at Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College at Milwaukee. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in October, 1867, and finished the study of law in the office of Julian & O'Day. He was admitted to the bar August 9th, 1868. He was solicited to run for Congress in 1882, and received the votes of several counties, but was defeated in the convention by Robert Fyan. Mr. Heffernan was married April 29th, 1872, at Springfield, to Miss Alice Chambers, a native of Augusta, Georgia. Their union has been blest with three children, viz.: Talma, John F., and Marie. Mr. and Mrs. Heffernan are members of the Catholic church. His father was from Limerick, Ireland, and came to the United States in 1832, and located in Vermont. In 1839 he went to Chicago, Illinois, and was one of the first settlers of that now great city. He is now living in Springfield, Missouri. His wife was from county Clare, Ireland, and died at Springfield, January 18th, 1871. They had fourteen children, of whom nine are now living.
DAN. H. HERMAN AND BROTHER. These enterprising gentlemen, who are the leading spirits in the Herman clothing and tailoring house of Springfield, are both sons of Henry and Hannah Herman, and were born in the State of Now York. D. H. Herman, the senior member and general manager, is a native of the city of Syracuse, born June 2d, 1857, and received his education partly in his birth-place and partly in Rochester, of the same State. He came to Springfield in 1880, and went into the clothing business, as D. H. Herman's one price clothing house. The firm name was changed, however, as above, when they opened the other establishment on the southeast corner of the public square and South street. Both houses are under the same general management, but the one on Boonville street is under the especial direction of Mr. Charles Herman.1 The south-side house has three floors, devoted to the respective departments of clothing and furnishing goods on the first floor, cutting and piece goods department an second floor, and manufacturing department on the third floor. The entire building is elegantly and attractively fitted up, with all the novelties in the way of modern conveniences for the display and sale of goods. As a tailoring establishment, this house is doing an immense business, and the solicitors for orders of elegant suits made by this house have done business far and near, and even taken and filled orders for five suits in the city of St. Louis itself. They work a large force of operatives in the way of clerks, book-keepers, cash-boys, tailors and janitors, and no establishment anywhere can boast of a more attentive and respectful corps of salesmen than this one. It may be said in justice to Mr. Dan Herman, that he was the first to introduce and establish the one-price system in the Southwest. They had their grand opening in March, 1883, of the newer and larger branch of the concern, and hundreds of people visited the building, delighted by the display and by the elegant music for which Mr. Herman had provided, with a cornet band outside and an orchestra of skilled musicians inside the house. Springfield may well congratulate herself on the acquisition of these five young gentlemen to the ranks of her already wide-awake business men. Young, energetic, liberal advertisers and pushing, their success on a grand scale is already assured. 
DR. H. LOT HIGGINS. Dr. Higgins is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Balthis) Higgins, and was born in Virginia in 1830. He received an academic course in education, and received his medical education at Winchester College and at the university at Baltimore, where he graduated in the spring of 1853. In the spring of 1854, he went to Wardensville, West Virginia, where he practiced his profession until 1872. In the spring of 1874, he came to Missouri, and lived four years at Graysonville, Clinton county. He then went to Iowa, and, in October, 1882, he came to Springfield, Missouri. In June, 1861, be joined the 14th Virginia regiment as surgeon and so remained until the close of the war. He was married October 12th, 1858, to Miss Martha O. Shull. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. Dr. Higgins' father was a minister of the church of the United Brethren. He died when the doctor was a small boy. His mother died before the civil war. Of a family of six children the doctor was the third child.
1 The Boonville street branch house was suspended in the spring of 1883, that Charles Herman might become manager of a larger branch house in Lamar.
LEE HOLLAND. Mr. Holland is the son of John L. and Martha (Wade) Holland, and was born in Springfield, Missouri, January 6th, 1849. His parents were natives of Robertson county Tennessee. Educational facilities being poor in Missouri during the civil war, Lee was sent to McKendree College and the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, to be educated. He graduated in a commercial course at the Christian Brothers' College at St. Louis, and then returned to Springfield, where he engaged in the mercantile business for about three years. He then accepted a position in the First National Bank as book-keeper, and afterward as teller. In 1879, he was elected vice-president of the bank, which office he now holds. He was married November 16th, 1873, to Miss Alice, daughter of Dr. E. F. and Elizabeth (Sproul) Robberson. This union has been blessed with two children, viz.: Ralph and James. He and his wife are members of the M. B. Church South. Mr. Holland is one of the safe, substantial business men of Springfield, and is an upright, honorable gentlemen.
WILLIAM C. HORNBEAK. Mr. Hornbeak is the son of James T. and Sallie (Johnson) Hornbeak, and was born January 18th, 1835, in Warren county, Tennessee. His parents emigrated to Missouri in December, 1840, and stopped at Springfield for a short time, and then moved seven miles south of town, to where the bridge crosses the James River. There was quite a little town there, consisting of a saw and grist mill, carding machine and distillery, and Mr. Hornbeak was interested in all them. They lived here two years, and then removed to a farm, where William O. grew to manhood. He then came to Springfield and clerked in the dry goods house of S. S. and R. A. Vinton from 1856 until 1861, and also being a partner in the firm for some time. When the war began, be joined Phelps' regiment as adjutant; then he went to St. Louis and was mustered out, and took a position in the quartermaster's department. In January, 1862, he was appointed by Gov. Gamble as one of the bank commissioners with A. J. Edwards, of St. Louis, now one of the assistant treasurers of the United States. At the close of Gamble's administration, he went to Davenport, Iowa, where he sold goods until 1855, when he returned to Springfield and formed a partnership with W. H. Graves in the general merchandising business. In 1871, John B. Oliver bought out Graves, and the firm became Hornbeak & Oliver, and continued so until 1874, when he went in with C. H. Heer & Co., where he now is, in charge of the retail department Mr. Hornbeak has been a member of the city council, is connected with the public school now, and has been for nine years. He was one of the organizers of the national bank here, was one of the directors and vice president, and has been connected with various railroad enterprises of the Southwest. He is a prominent member of the Royal Arch Chapter, and was secretary of the lodge for some time. He was married June 14th, 1860, to Miss Georgia E., daughter of Hon. Mordecia Oliver, ex-member of Congress, and ex-secretary of State under Gov. Gamble. They had six children, five boys and one girl. Mrs. Hornbeak died in May, 1875, and Mr. Hornbeak was married again, to Miss T. E. R. Paul, on December 27th, 1877. They have two childron, a boy and girl. Mr. Hornbeak has been an elder in the Christian church for twenty-four years. His mother died in 1857, and his father in 1864. They had eleven children, four boys and seven girls. John, the oldest son, represented Christian county, Missouri, twice in the Legislature. 
DR. E. HOVEY. Dr. Hovey was born in Trenton, Oneida county, New York, September 23, 1816. He is the son of Eleazer and Sibyl (Coburn) Hovey. They moved to Indiana in 1820, where his father died. In 1826 his mother moved to the northeastern portion of Ohio. Dr. Hovey received his education at the common schools, but acquired most of it by his own exertions. He came to Texas county, Missouri, in 1840, and worked at the millwrights' trade for ten years. It was here that he studied dentistry, and afterwarcls-studied medicine, and practiced both in conjunction at Buffalo, Dallas county, Missouri. He soon abandoned medicine and made dentistry a specialty. He belongs to the Missouri State Dental Association, having joined in 1865. The doctor is well posted in his profession, and was at one time offered a chair in one of the St. Louis dental colleges. He went back to Ohio and remained a few months in 1860, but soon returned to Missouri, and entered into partnership with his old preceptor, at Buffalo, Dallas county. He practiced until the war commenced, and was elected a lieutenant colonel, of a regiment of Home Guards raised in Dallas county. He came to Springfield in 1862, and his family followed in 1863. He practiced his profession here until the war closed, then, on account of failing health, he sold out to his partner and returned to his home in Dallas county, Missouri. He lived there for fourteen years, and came back to Springfield in 1880. He married the first time in 1836 in Ohio to Miss Evelina Abell. This marriage was blest with two children, Mrs. Julia A. Colby and Mrs. Ellen Lowey, both of Marshfield. His first wife died on a steamboat at Louisville on their way back to Ohio and is buried at that city. In 1848 he married again to Miss Caroline E. Penniman of Ohio. By her he had three children, viz.: Eva Celestia, Romeo Hamlet and Charles Eugene, now postmaster at Buffalo, Dallas county, Missouri. Dr. Hovey was solicited to run for State senator, but prefers private life. He is of Scotch descent upon his mother's side, and German upon his father's. 
HUMPHREY E. HOWELL. This gentleman was born in Wales, about forty miles from Liverpool, on the 23d of October, 1839. He came to Newark, Ohio, when he was about five years of age. He was reared upon the farm, and received his education at Dennison University, Ohio, Columbus, Ohio, in a commercial school, and at Dartmouth college, where be graduated in 1863. He then attended the law department of the Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, and graduated from that celebrated university in the spring of 1866 and came to Springfield, Missouri, to practice his profession. He was nominated without his knowledge or consent for city attorney of Springfield, and was elected by a handsome majority. He was in office where the Gulf railroad entered the corporate limits, and acted in the city's behalf during negotations between the road and the city. He married September 2d, 1864, Miss Sarah Reese, also a native of Wales. This union has been blest with four children, viz.: Maynard D., Mellila, Mary and Una, all of whom are now living. Himself and wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church. Mr. Howell is a gentlemen of integrity, and one in whom all place great confidence as an honest man and a gentleman.
HON. WALTER D. HUBBARD. The subject of this sketch is a son of John H. and Sarah A. Hubbard, and was born in Madison county, Kentucky, October 3d; 1840, and is of Welsh-English stock. He received a good English education in Clay and Clinton counties, this State, his father having moved to Missouri in 1845, and settled in Clinton county in 1849. He developed great mathematical talent, and before he was fifteen years old, had mastered arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. He began reading law in 1859, continuing his legal studies while teaching school in the years of 1860-61. In the latter year he was principal of the public school at Plattsburg, Missouri, but gave up the school to enlist for national defence in Captain Edgar's company of mititia. He served in that company till 1862, when he re-enlisted for three years in the 6th regiment of cavalry militia. To attempt any thing like a full outline of the many valuable services of Mr. Hubbard to his country during that long and bloody struggle for national existence, would far excel the space that this volume can assign for personal mention; suffice it to say that he was promoted through various gradations from private, as he first enlisted, to adjutant of his regiment and captain of a company, and was several times commended from high official sources for "gallant conduct in battle." He mustered out his own company in May, 1866, and was retained to muster out the volunteers then serving on the plains, which duty finished, he was ordered to Springfield, Missouri, where he was finally and honorably discharged, and was "breveted" by Prosident Johnson, lieutenant colonel of volunteers. After quitting military life he entered the law and claim office of Col. John M. Richardson, and in 1870 was duly enrolled as an attorney and counsellor at law, in the circuit court of Greene county, and has actively practiced his profession ever since. In 1875-76 he was U. S. circuit court commissioner, and was a member of the common council of Springfield in 1869-70. He was elected county attorney in the fall of 1876, on the Republican ticket, that having been his political bent at all times. June 28th, 1866, he was married to Miss Emily F., youngest daughter of Maj. Gen. Joseph Powell, deceased. Scarcely yet in the prime of life, full of vigor, an efficient organizer, devoted to his profession and to his party, there remains for Mr. Hubbard a long period, the most useful part of human life, in which to labor for the benefit of self, home, and country.
JOHN P. HUBBLE. This young gentleman is the son of Martin J., and Mary J. (Powell) Hubble, and was born on Market street, Springfield, Mo., April 8d, 1860. He was educated in the common schools and at Drury College, in this county, and in the fall of 1877 he went to St. Louis, and attended Washington University three years, one year in the law department. From 1881 to 1883 he was State adjuster for the insurance department. He was admitted to the bar by Judge Fyan, in March, 1882. He has a good practice for a young man, and "is of such stuff no men are made."
BENJAMIN F. HUNTINGTON. This gentleman is the son of Ambrose, and Parmelia (Keeler) Huntington, and was born August 2d, 1848, at Mexico, Oswego county, New York. At the age of fourteen he was bound out to his uncle and learned the tailor's trade, at Watertown, New York, serving seven years. In 1849 he went to California by way of the Isthmus of Panama. He lived in California about fifteen years, following at his trade and mining. In 1866 he came to Springfield, Mo., where he has since lived, working at his trade. He has been very successful in building up a good business. His shop is on the north side of College street, in the old Presley Beal property, one of the landmarks of Springfield. He employs several hands and carries a fine line of goods, both imported and American. He was married to Miss Ellen E. McElhany. Their union was blest with one daughter, now dead. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Harmony Lodge No. 71, and his wife is a member of the M. E. church. Mr. Huntington is one of the substantial business men of Springfield, and is regarded as an upright, honorable citizen. 
SIDNEY N. INGRAM. This gentleman is the son of Martin and Annie A. (Howard) Ingram, and was born July 15, 1832, at Wilson, Tennessee. His parents came to Greene county, Missouri, in December, 1834, where Sidney received his education, attending school until nearly of age. He taught school for several years and in 1857 taught in Collin county, Texas. In 1859 he and A. G. McCracken built a mill on the James river and ran it in partnership until Mr. McCracken's death in 1878. Mr. Ingram and his sons now run the mill and have fitted it with the latest and best improvements and make the best grades of flour. Mr. Ingram enlisted in the Home Guards in 1861, and in 1868 and part of 1864 was first lieutenant of a home company organized in the neighborhood of the mill. In the fall of 1864 he was in R. J. McElhany's company, 46th Missouri infantry. During the war Mr. Ingram was a Republican, but in 1870 joined the Liberal movement and was nominated for circuit clerk. In 1876 he was upon the Greenback ticket for county assessor. In 1882 he made the race for presiding justice of the county court. He ran ahead of his ticket receiving 1,115 votes. He was married January 19, 1860, to Miss E. Stephens of this county. She died December 10, 1868, leaving four sons and one daughter. He was married the second time April 27, 1871, to Miss E. J. Fine, also of this county. She died November 23, 1871, and on the 4th of January, 1874, he was again married to Mrs. Hellen Burnham. They have one son Emory H. His sons Herchel and Thomas are graduates of the Springfield public school.
ARCHIBALD F. INGRAM. The subject of this notice is the son of Martin and Annie A. (Howard) Ingram, and was born June 30, 1830, in Wilson county, Tennessee. His parents emigrated to Missouri in 1834, reaching Springfield on the 29th of November. He was educated in the common schools of the country, and remained at home with his parents until he was twenty years of age when he went to work on the Southern Flag, the second paper ever published in Greene county. The publisher was W. P. Davis, and the editor, John M. Richardson, the U. S. commissioner at Carthage. He worked in that office until the paper changed hands in 1851, when he and W. P. Davis went South. They returned in 1852, and in 1853 they started a book store. On the 4th of July, 1853, he was appointed postmaster of Springfield by President Pierce, and served for fourteen months when he was succeeded by William Jones. In the fall of 1855 he went to Greenfield, Dade county, Missouri, and started the American Standard, afterward changed to the Greenfield Southwest, which he published until 1859, when he returned to Springfield and established a job printing office, the first of the kind in Springfield. He continued the business until the war broke out, and then enlisted in Captain Holland's company of Home Guards, for three months. In 1862 be started an irregular paper, The Springfield Missourian, which he sold in 1863, and in 1864 he bought the Missourian again then established the Patriot. In the following October he sold one-half interest of the Patriot to William J. Feed. He was appointed county treasurer in 1864, to fill the unexpired term of William McAdams and served two years. In 1867 he sold his interest in the Patriot to E. R. Shiply, the present postmaster. In 1868 be started the Weekly Gazette, and after nine months, sold it to the Patriot. He was then elected county treasurer on the Republican ticket. He ran again in 1870, but was defeated by the Liberals. In 1872 he ran again and was elected. He was married in Feburary, 1854, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Randolph W. and Sarah (Gibson) Moore. They have four children, viz.: Charles M., one of the proprietors and publishers of the Daily Extra; Frank M., of California; Sallie A., a teacher in the public school, and Mollie, also a teacher. 
Next Chapter | Table of Contents | Keyword Search
History of Greene County Home | Local History Home