Resume of the City's History from 1876 to 1883
JOHN H. PAINE. Mr. Paine is the son of Jessie L. and Harriet (Allen) Paine, and was born May 14th, 1832, in Lawrence county, Tennessee. When he was four years of age his parents moved to Dallas county, Missouri, where he grew to manhood. He was educated in Dallas county and at Ebenezer, Greene county. He sold goods for his father in Dallas until 1858, when he was elected clerk of the county and circuit courts upon the Democratic ticket, and served until 1861. In 1863 he moved to Springfield and entered the quartermaster's department under Capt. B. B. Owens, and remained in that office until the war closed. In 1872 he was appointed city clerk, and served until 1874. In 1874 he was elected clerk of the circuit court upon the Democratic ticket, and held that office four years. In 1879 he was appointed deputy circuit clerk, under J. R. Ferguson, which position he held until 1882, when he was appointed deputy county clerk under J. D. Van Bibber. In November, 1882, he was elected county recorder of Greene county, beating his opponent by 228 votes. Mr. Paine was married upon the 19th of August, 1863, to Miss Mary E. Cross, of Trumbull county, Ohio. They have been blest with six children, four girls and two boys. His wife is a member of the Christian church, and he is a member of the Knights Templar, and a Royal Arch Mason. His father, Jesse L. Paine, was elected clerk of the county court of Dallas county for three consecutive terms, and was at one time probate judge of that county. He died in Texas in 1868, and his wife died in 1880.
JACOB PAINTER. This gentleman is the son of Samuel and Betsy Painter, and was born in Burke county, N. C., in 1810. When he was two years of age his parents moved to Tennessee, and when be was fifteen they moved to Montgomery county, Ill. In 1881 he came to Greene county, Mo., and settled at the "Big Spring," five miles southeast of Springfield. In 1832 Mr. Painter built a mill near his home. He built it all himself, hewing the timber and forging the iron for the machinery used. This was about the first or second mill erected in the county. People came for fifty miles to get their corn ground. He also ran a blacksmith shop, and he would fill up the hopper of the mill and start it grinding, and then work in the shop until it was ground. He is also a lock and gunsmith, and carried on the business before any one else in the county. He made for years, on an average, two pistols per day, selling them for ten dollars a pair to those outfitting for trips across the plains. Mr. Painter was married, in 1880, to Miss Betsy Compton. Their union was blest with two sons and two daughters. His first wife died in 1886, and in 1889 he married Fannie Freeman of this county. They had four sons, all living. His second wife died May 15, 1880. Mr. Painter is the only one living of a family of six children. He is living in the same house built by him forty-five years ago. He is one of the old landmarks of the county, and politically is, and always has been, a Democrat. 
JOHN A. PATTERSON. Mr. Patterson is the son of Joseph A. and Martha (Alsup) Patterson, and was born in what is now Webster county, Missouri, September 11, 1848. He was educated in the common schools and at Dansville, New York, seminary. In 1870 and 1871 he was elected to the office of school superintendent of Webster county, upon the Liberal Republican ticket. He was admitted to the bar at Marshfield, Missouri, in September, 1875, and in October of that year came to Springfield. He was elected city attorney in 1877-8 upon the Republican ticket. Mr. Patterson was married to Miss Lou M., daughter of Rev. J. P. Bridwell of Webster county, Missouri, formerly of Louisville, Kentucky. Their union has been blest with three sons and one daughter. Mr. Patterson's father came from Nashville, Tennessee, to Webster county in 1840. They both died the same year, 1881. They had two sons, John A. and Gideon M., a dentist of Springfield.
DR. HORACE MONROE PARRISH. Dr. Parrish is the son of Peyton and Mary A. (Porter) Parrish, and was born at Russellville, Logan county, Kentucky, March 18th, 1828. In November, 1837, he, with his brother Edwin B., and his uncle William Parrish, came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled nine miles northwest of Springfield, on Grand Prairie. In March, 1840, he began the study of surveying under County Surveyor J. L. McCraw, and then under J. O. Farmer. Upon the 9th of February, 1841, he entered the office of Dr. G. P. Shackleford, and graduated in the medical department of Kemper's College, March 1st, 1845. Nine years after he was given the degree at Nashville, Tennessee. He followed his profession until 1866, and from 1867 until 1880, followed surveying. He did a large practice in medicine, often riding fifty or sixty miles to see patients. He is a Royal Arch Chapter Mason, and of the United Order No. 5. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and his wife of Calvary Presbyterian Church. Besides his town property, the doctor owns about twelve hundred acres of land in the county. He was married July 17th, 1849, to Mrs. Sarah J. Collins, nee Carson. They had five children, viz.: Albana C., wife of Dr. Clements; Mary B., wife of E. E. Adams, of Chicago; Sarah E., Joseph E., and Frank M. (deceased). The doctor's grandfather, Joseph Parrish, was an Englishman, and came first to Virginia, and from there to Kentucky in 1798. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and was wounded at Guilford court-house in the hip.
JOHN A. PATTERSON. Mr. Patterson is the son of Louis and Mary (Pearson) Patterson and was born in Hamilton county, Tennessee, November 24, 1880. He was educated at home and at Cleveland college. In 1868 he came to Wright county, Missouri and in 1856 he came to Greene county, and settled near Walnut Grove, where he farmed until 1861. He then came to Springfield and went into Capt. J. E. Smith's company of militia. In November, 1864, he was elected sheriff of the county upon the Republican ticket and re-elected in 1866 and l868. He had been United States deputy marshal in 1863-4. In 1871-2 he was deputy county clerk. He was city marshal in 1878-4 and 6. In 1877-8 and 9 was deputy sheriff under A. J. Potter. In November, 1880 he was elected sheriff, and re-elected in 1882. Mr. Patterson was married February 8, 1868, in Monroe county, Tennessee, to Miss Sarah C. Heiskell. They have ten children, all of whom are living. Mr. Patterson is a member of Masonic and Odd Follow's societies, and has made one of the best county officers the county ever had. His father was born in 1797, in Virginia, and moved to Tennessee when young, and died there in 1866. He was a farmer and a tanner. His mother was born in 1800, and died in 1878. They had thirteen children, John A. being the fourth child. Mrs. Patterson's father, Daniel Heiskell, was born in Shenandoah county, Virginia, March 7, 1799, and died in Monroe county, Tennessee, July 22, 1875. He was a great religious worker, and built a church at Sweet Water, Tennessee, costing him six thousand dollars. Her mother was born in Greene county, Tennessee, April 15, 1803, and died August 1, 1841. 
ELY PAXSON. Mr. Paxton is the a son of M. and Maria (Shipman) Paxson, and was born January 17, 1847, in Hancock county, Ohio. He was educated in the public schools, and learned the cabinet-maker's trade in his native county. He came to Springfield, Missouri, October 24, 1868, and worked for J. Kassler at the undertaking business for two and one-half years. He then went into partnership with Mr. Kassler and in March, 1880, bought his partner's interest and since that time has carried on business alone. He has the largest establishment in the city, and is one of the staunch business men of the city of Springfield. He was married March 20, 1873, to Miss Anna Belle Keet, daughter of Thomas Keet, of Springfield. He is a Mason and a Knight of Honor. Himself and wife are members of Grace Methodist church. Mr. Paxson's parents are living in the city. They came to Springfield in May, 1867, and his father is now in the shop with his son Ely.
JAMES W. PEACHER. Mr. Peacher is the son of Alexander and Nicy (Brightwell) Peacher, and was born in Orange county, Virginia, September 26th, 1830, and was educated in his native county. He worked upon the farm until the age of twenty-one, and then learned the trade of plasterer. April 11th, 1857, he came to Springfield, Missouri, and followed his trade until the war. During the war he remained in town selling goods as a clerk and for himself. In the years 1868-9 he lived upon his farm near Springfield, but returned to town, and for a year was in the grocery business, and next in the dry goods trade. In October, 1877, he opened out a stock of boots and shoes, and has the only exclusive, and the largest, retail boot and shoe house in Springfield. He was married January 15th, 1865, to Miss Juliet Ingram, daughter of S. N. Ingram. She died in 1872, and on the 14th of January, 1875, Mr. Peacher was married, the second time, to Miss Jimmie, daughter of J. T. Campbell. Their union has been blest with two sons and one daughter. Mr. Poacher is a member of the A. F. and A. M., and his wife is a member of the Christian church. His father died in 1866, and his mother in 1877, in Virginia.. Both were over eighty years of age. They had seven children, four sons and three daughters, James W. being the third child.
COL. JOHN E. PHELPS. This gentleman, who was an active participant on the Union side during the civil war, is native of Greene county, born April 6, 1839. He was the first born of five children of Gov. John S. Phelps, whose biography is given at length in this volume. There were two sons and three daughters of these children, of whom John B., and Mrs. Mary Montgomery, of Portland, Oregon, still survive. Those deceased were, Thomas H. B., Lucy Jane, and a second Lucy Jane, born after the death of the first of that name, and christened in honor of her memory. Col. John E. Phelps was educated partly at Fayetteville, Arkansas, completing his course at the private school of Charles Carleton at Springfield. He began business for himself at the early age of 13, when he made quite a speculation on a cattle trade, selling his purchase to Indian Agent A. J. Dorn, at a profit of $1,500. He continued in the cattle trade, and driving mules to the Southern market till 1869, when, in partnership with A. J. Dorn and J. L. French, he went into the wholesale grocery business, and was the first commercial traveler ("drummer") that represented a Springfield house and he carried his samples in his saddle bags, his mode of locomotion being on horseback. This business he continued till cleaned up by the Confederates after the battle of Wilson's Creek. He then proceeded to Rolla, and did scouting duty for Gen. Curtis, furnishing his own horse, and receiving no componsation. At the battle of Pea Ridge, he was a volunteer Aid on the staff of Gen. E. A. Carr. Subsequently, he received an appointment as second lieutenant in the regular army, and went to Helena, Arkansas, and reported to Gen. Carr as Aid on his staff. He served eighteen months of that staff, partly in St. Louis and partly on the campaign in the rear of Vicksburg. He was then ordered home on account of physical disability, and arrived there July 4, 1864. The very next day he began organizing a volunteer regiment which was mustered in March 18, 1864, as the second Arkansas Cavalry, and was ordered to Memphis, Tennessee, which place they reached by an overland march of forty-two days, reaching there January 25, 1865. There the regiment did duty till May, when it was ordered to Lagrange on out-post duty. There Col. P. was mustered out at his own request his rank then being Brevet Brigadier General of volunteers; and the board of examiners pronounced him physically incompetent. He requested to be sent on frontier duty at Fort Laramie, but instead of having his request granted, he was ordered to his regiment at Little Rock. This was the 3d regiment U. S. regulars, in which Phelps held the rank of first lieutenant, and brevet captain, major, and lieutenant colonel. He was then at home, sick and disgusted with scenes of war, and so closed his military career by tendering his resignation, which was accepted in September, 1865. Since then, he has lived in private life, except being for a time receiver of the U. S. land office, under President Johnson. At this writing he is traveling for the machine house of D. M. Osburn & Co., Auburn, N. Y. Col. Phelps was married July 21, 1864, to Margaret J., daughter of William White, of Greene county. They have two daughters and one son, who are at school in Springfield. Politically, Col. Phelps is a Democrat, and during the war fought to save the Union—not to free the negro. Few men have done more public service for a less compensation than Col. John E. Phelps. 
MRS. MARY PHELPS (DECEASED. Mrs. Phelps was born in Portland, Maine, in the year 1813. Her maiden name was Whitney, her father being a sea captain. While she was yet young he lost his life at sea during a storm, and shortly afterward the death of her mother left her an orphan in the full sense of the word. In 1837 she was married to John S. Phelps, who had but recently been admitted to the bar, and in the fall of the same year they concluded to cast their lot in the then far West. After arriving at St. Louis, and profiting by the advice of friends in that city, they determined upon Springfield as their future home, and from that year until the day of her death, with the exception of occasional visits to relatives, she was prominently identified, in a woman's sphere, with all that went to make up the history of our city.
Mrs. Phelps possessed characteristics which pre-eminently fatted her for the arduous duties which devolved upon the wives of Southwest Missouri in those early days. Added to a cultured mind, which served to temper the asperities of frontier life, she brought a will that never failed in the accomplishment of the many prominent undertakings in which she engaged. Hundreds of instances corrobating her womanly enterprise are upon the lips of those of our older citizens whose intimate acquaintance with the deceased dated back forty years, but one will serve to illustrate the hearty spirit with which she entered upon the new life into which she had been ushered. It occurred about a year after their arrival in Springfield. Her husband was then a struggling-practitioner, and from his scant fees had saved sufficient to purchase a lot at the corner of what is now St. Louis street and Benton avenue. The circuit at that time embraced as much territory as is now contained in two or three Congressional districts, and in his arduous practice he was frequently absent from home for months at a time. They were then boarding with "Uncle Joel" Haden, and it was after one of those long jaunts over the circuit, that returning to his boarding house in the evening, Mr. Phelps missed his wife, and upon inquiry the landlord called his attention to a newly erected log cabin upon his lot, with the remark that he guessed she would be found over there. He at once proceeded to the place indicated and was welcomed by his young wife to the first home he ever owned. During his absence she had the cabin built, and had furnished it in accordance with the demands of those primitive times, having conveyed and executed the plan as a pleasant surprise for her husband. 
During the civil war the active and philanthopic efforts of Mrs. Phelps will ever remain inseparable with the history of the sad strife in the Southwest. Like her husband she espoused the Union cause, and labored unremittingly in support of her convictions. When friends and neighbors had fled, terror-stricken, from the country which was almost a constant scene of strife, she remained at her post nursing and caring for the sick and wounded soldiers. The day before the battle of Pea Ridge, in which both her husband and son were engaged, she left the city for the camp, with several wagons laden with provisions, lint, bandages, etc. Arriving on the ground just as the second day's fight began she inspired the troops with courage by the fearlessness and enthusiasm with which she entered into the work of caring for the wounded of her husband's regiment. During the entire day she was exposed on the field of battle attending in person to the removal of those who required attention, and many a wounded soldier on that hard won day, had reason to bless Mary Phelps for her thoughtfulness and patriotism in providing comforts which otherwise would have been unattainable.
At the battle of Wilson's creek, when the panic-stricken Federal troops abandoned the field and their leader—the brave Lyon—to the triumphant enemy, Mrs. Phelps secured the body of the dead chieftain, removed it to the homestead, and had it properly cared for. At the close of the war, Congress, in recognition of the services which she had rendered during the war, placed at her disposal a large appropriation, for the purpose of establishing a soldiers' orphan's home. A building was erected near the city, in which were gathered a number of these "wards of the nation," who were cared for until they were claimed by relatives, or found homes.
Although advanced in years she was physically vigorous until she contracted a severe cold, which caused typhoid pneumonia and resulted in her death on Friday morning, January 15th, 1878. Her mental faculties remained unclouded to the last and she crossed the "dark river" with a full consciousness of all that was going on around, giving directions to her attendants with that firmness and decision which had characterized her entire life. The funeral services were held on Sunday afternoon, at two o'clock, at Christ (Episcopal) church, Rev. Thomas F. James officiating. The very large attendance proved the high esteem in which the deceased was held in this community. The church was densely packed, and hundreds were gathered around the entrance, unable to gain admission, half an hour before the arrival of the corpse. The chief mourners were Gov. Phelps, Mrs. Montgomery, his daughter, and Col. John E. Phelps and wife. The pall bearers were C. B. McAfee, J. T. Morton, O. B. Holland, R. J. McElhany, L. A. D. Crenshaw, Mr. Epperson, Capt. Julian and John S. Waddill, being from among our oldest citizens, who, for more than a quarter of a century, had been intimate friends of the family. The exercises at the church were brief, consisting of a burial chant rendered by the choir, the reading of the burial service, and the singing of the hymn, "Rock of Ages," by the choir and congregation. A large concourse followed the remains to their final resting place, in the Hazelwood cemetery.
In the death of Mrs. Mary Phelps an active and useful life was suddenly brought to a close. The poor, and those cast clown by misfortune, lost a large hearted and sympathizing friend, whose place was not easily filled, and citizens in every station will, for many years, miss one whose busy life reflected such earnest, practical Christianity, inasmuch as she "visited the sick," "comforted the weak hearted," "raised up those who were cast down," and, as far as in her power lay, went about "doing good unto all men." Such a life is not without its reward. 
DR. CHARLES E. PIERCE. Dr. Pierce is the son of Samuel W. and Mary O. (Loomis) Pierce, and was born at Lafayette, Indiana, September 15, 1853. He was educated at Battle Ground high school and at Valparaiso, Indiana. In 1874 he entered the E. M. College at Cincinnati, and graduated at the winter term, January 22, 1878. He then went to Shelby county, Tennessee, and followed his profession until 1880, when he went to Arkansas and remained until January, 1883, when he came to Springfield, Mo. He was married January 16, 1883, to Miss Grace A. Young. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and his wife is a member of tha Presbyterian church. His father, Samuel W., was a son of Rufus and Polly Pierce, and was born in Springfield, Ohio, July 9, 1828, and died at Lafayette, Indiana, January 28, 1860. His parents were married July 4, 1852, at Lafayette, Indiana. They had four children, viz.: Charles E., George T., born August 14, 1855; Otho, born March 8, 1858, and died July 23, 1858, and Mary Olive, born March 28, 1860.
FELIX R. PORTER. This gentleman is the son of William C. and Judith R. (Owen) Porter, and was born in Weakley county, Tennessee, March 7, 1841. His parents moved to Springfield, Missouri, in June, 1856. They lived some little time in town, but his father soon purchased a farm three miles east of Ebenezer, this county. It was here that Felix was educated and grew to manhood. At the commencement of the civil war he enlisted in the Confederate service under Capt. Bradford, which company was then attached to Gen. Price's body-guard. After the battle of Pea Ridge he was taken sick, but in the fall of 1862, he joined company A, 8d Missouri cavalry, Col. O. E. Green. The regiment was attached to Gen. Marmaduke's brigade upon the 12th of January, 1863. They surrendered at Shreveport, La. June 7, 1865. Mr. Porter was in the battles of Helena, Little Rock, and Poison Springs. At Little Rock, he had his gun shot from his hands, and was wounded in the left leg. At Poison Springs he was wounded in the right shoulder. He was married January 17, 1867, at Smithville, Arkansas, to Miss Sadie Fields. Their union has been blest with two sons and two daughters. He was elected by the city council in 1878, to the office of street commissioner, and has been to a considerable extent engaged in mercantile business. He was elected justice of the peace upon the Democratic ticket for Campbell township in 1882. His father was born in Rockingham county, North Carolina, in 1803, and came to Williamson county, Tennessee, in 1811, where he married and reared a large family, all sons.
WILLIAM G. PORTER. Mr. Porter is the son of William C. and Judith R. (Owen) Porter, and was born January 30th, 1829, in Williamson county, Tennessee. In 1836 his parents moved to the western portion of that State, and in May, 1856, came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled upon a farm ten miles north of Springfield. William G. soon after purchased a farm of his own several miles east of Springfield, where he lived until after the civil war. Just before the battle of Pea Ridge a detatchment of Gen. Curtis' men and some of Gen. Price's pickets had quite a little fight at his place. Mr. Porter had a small stock of merchandise which the soldiers unceremoniously appropriated to their use, besides taking everything of value in the house. He is the oldest tobacconist in the Southwest, having followed it since coming to the State. He was married in Weakley county, Tennessee, February 5th 1850, to Miss Mary A. Stubblefield. Their union was blest with five sons and two daughters, all of whom are living save one son. His father was born in Rockingham county, N. C., in 1803, and was taken to Tennessee in 1811. He died at his home in Arkansas in 1878, and his wife died in 1881. They had a large family, all of whom were boys. 
BENJAMIN B. PRICE. This gentleman is the son of the Hon. William O. Price, and was born in Springfield, Missouri, January 1st, 1848. He was educated at Salisbury institute at Batesville, Arkansas, and at Mountain Home, Arkansas. He studied law in St. Louis in his father's office, and at Springfield. He was admitted to the bar in February, 1873, before Judge Geiger, and was also admitted at Mountain Home, Arkansas, in 1875, and at Dallas, Texas, in 1881. He was for several years probate judge of Ozark, county, Missouri. He returned to Springfield in February, 1882, and formed a law partnership with Thomas W. Kersey. December 8th, 1882, he was married to Miss A. H. Beal, of Ellis county, Texas. Mr. Price is a member of the I. O. O. F.
REV. DOUGLAS P. PUTNAM. Mr. Putnam is the son of Rev. Charles Marsh and Abbie S. (Edgerton) Putnam, and was born at Jersey, Ohio, February 8th, 1844. He graduated from Wabash Indiana College at Crawfordsville, Indiana, and received his theological education at Union Theological Seminary, New York city, and at Lane seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio. He was ordained to preach in the Presbyterian church at Portsmouth, Ohio, where he was assistant pastor for one year. In 1871 he went to Monroe, Michigan, where he had charge of the church until 1881. He then came to Springfield, Missouri, and took the pastorate of Calvary Presbyterian church. In 1862 he enlisted in the 92d Ohio infantry as a private, and served as adjutant's clerk. There were five great-great-grandsons of Gen. Israel Putnam in the regiment, viz.: Col. B. D. Fearing, Douglas Putnam, jr., Daniel E. Putnam, David E. Putnam, David Putnam and our subject. The first four were wounded. Our subject was married June 22d, 1870, to Miss Jeannie H. Williamson, daughter of John A. Williamson, prominently connected with railroads in New York, but now of Lafayette, Indiana. They have five children, four girls and one boy. Mr. Putnam has in his possession several very old letters written by General Washington, General Putnam and John Hancock. They bear dates of 1776 and 1777. The father of our subject was born in February, 1802, in Marietta, Ohio, and graduated from Yale College in 1826, and at Andover Theological Seminary in 1829. He then took charge of the Presbyterian church at Jersey, Ohio, where he remained until 1869, just forty years. He died in 1870, and his wife died in March, 1878.
WILLIAM S. RIGGS. Mr. Riggs was born February 26, 1829, in Maury county, Tennessee. He was educated in his native county, and in 1865 he came to Greene county, Missouri, and settted six miles north of Springfield. Here he was engaged in farming until 1867, when he moved into the city, where he has since been engaged in carpentry and hotel keeping. The hotel is on the corner of Boonville and Water streets, is a two story frame, 52x31, and contains thirteen rooms and basement. Mr. Biggs was married in March, 1856, to Miss Emily McCracken. Her family were among the earliest settlers of the county. They are blest with three sons and one daughter. Mr. Riggs' parents were natives of North Carolina. His father died in 1849 and his mother is yet living in the county. They had seven sons and two daughters, William S. being the second child. 
DR. EDWARD A. ROBERTS. Dr. Roberts was born and brought up in the State of Georgia. In May, 1866, he came to St. Louis, from there to New Orleans, but returned to St. Louis, July 11, same year, and passed through the terrible cholera ordeal of that year. In August took the cholera— after partial recovery became a patient of St. Luke's hospital (Episcopal) and remained one month until fully restored to health. November 1, 1866, he, was appointed superintendent and resident physician of St. Luke's hospital, where he remained over six years, resigning December 1, 1872. He was then appointed visiting physician upon a salary, but after four months he came to Springfield where he has practiced his profession. In 1877 he was appointed alms-house and jail physician and holds that position for 1883. He was a member of the city council from the third ward upon the Democratic ticket during the years of 1876-7-8 and 9. He was the Democratic candidate for mayor in 1881, but was defeated by James Abbott, by thirty-five votes. He was also defeated in 1882 by Geo. S. Day. He is now councilman from the third ward, elected April 8, 1883. In 1882 he was appointed city engineer and street commissioner. He is a member of the board of health, and is chairman of the Democratic county central committee. The doctor has always taken an active part in public enterprises, and is one of the most useful citizens of the county. He was married February 28, 1868, to Miss Minnie B. Coleman. They are blest with two children, Roberta Lee, born July 4, 1870, and Susie, born June 1st, 1875. He and his wife are members of the Episcopal church, and he has been junior and senior warden of the church at Springfield. Dr. Roberts' parents were natives of Virginia. His mother died in 1862, and his father died in 1856. They, had a family of ten children, Edward A. is the oldest.
JAKE ROTHSCHILD. This prince of Springfield's merchants is the son of Leopold Rothschild, and was born February 12th, 1860, upon the beautiful and historic Rhine, in Germany. He was educated in that country, and in August, 1868, he came to America, landing in New York. He soon after removed to St. Louis, but only lived in that city a short time, and then went to Marshfield, from where he moved to Springfield and opened out one of the largest stocks of clothing ever brought to this part of the State. He is well and favorably known all over the country, having traveled several years for wholesale houses of Cincinnati and Chicago.
JUDGE M. J. ROUNTREE. Judge Rountree is the son of Joseph and Nancy (Nichols) Rountree, and was born March 24th, 1820, in Maury county, Tennessee. He received his early education from his mother, an intelligent, cultivated lady, and from the common schools of his section. At the age of twenty he went to work upon a farm by the month, working in the summer and going to school in the winter. In December, 1829, the parents of our subject moved to Missouri and settled upon Wilson's creek, within two miles of Springfield. Judge Rountree was married upon the 7th of March, 184_, to Miss Mary Winton, of Polk county, Missouri. They have had eight childron, four of whom are now living. Their first-born died in infancy—Sarah F. died in her nineteenth year, Bentley J. is a traveling salesman, Joseph W. is in the nursery business with his father, Mary E. at home with her parents, Thomas J., a tobacconist at Carthage. In 1845 he bought a small farm three and one-half miles southwest of Springfield, where he lived about six years, when he sold out and bought a place of two hundred acres southeast of Springfield, where he lived until the war closed. He then sold his farm, and went to Springfield temporarily, but soon purchased an eighty, acre tract of land east of the city, and started a nursery in 1867. In 1870 he traded for the house where he now lives on East Elm street, which is upon a four-acre lot. He was a justice of the peace for four, years. In 1872 he was elected judge of the county court, and held that position six years. In 1880 he was elected upon the Democratic ticket to the mayoralty of the city of Springfield. Judge Rountree is a self-made man, and no man in this county stands better in the estimation of his fellow-citizens than he. 
BENTLEY J. ROUNTREE. Mr. Rountree is the son of M. J. and Mary L. (Winton) Rountree, and was born in Greene county, Mo., January 2, 1849. He was educated here in this county and remained at home upon the farm until the civil war. In 1864-5, was in the quartermaster's department at Springfield, under Capt. C. B. Owen, as post messenger. When the war closed he went to school for two years, and then acted as salesman for his father in the nursery business. He was married September 30, 1868, to Miss Eva Hovey, daughter of E. Hovey, of Springfield. They were married at Buffalo, Mo. They have three children, Hattie, Minnie, and Herman. From 1872 to 1874 Mr. Rountree was in the drug and grocery business, and was also a teacher of music for some time. From 1875 to 1879 he was traveling salesman for H. D. Brown, dealer in musical instruments, etc. Upon the first of January, 1880, commenced traveling for Jacob Strauss & Co., wholesale saddlery, etc., St. Louis, and so far has done well. Mr. Rountree belongs to one of the most respected of the pioneer families, and deserves the success with which he has met.
WM. JONES ROUNTREE. This gentleman is the son of Almus L. and Dolina (Mitchel) Rountree, and was born October 17th, 1847, on the farm now owned by Z. M. Rountree, near Springfield, Missouri. He was retired by his grandfather upon the farm, and was educated at the public school of Springfield. At the age of seventeen he accepted a clerkship in the store of Massey, McAdams & Co., of Springfield, where he remained until March, 1865, when he enlisted in company F, 14th Missouri volunteers, U. S. A. He was mustered out at Leavenworth, Kansas, the same year, and returned to Springfield, where he attended school until 1867. He then engaged with Massey, McAdams & Co., and sold goods for them for eighteen months. In the fall of 1869 he went to California, and returned in 1870 and took a position as clerk in the St. Louis and San Francisco freight and ticket office, where he continued until 1873. In the spring of 1874 he went to Texas, and was chief clerk on the and Texas railroad. He was next appointed agent at Calveras, Texas, where he remained until 1876. He returned to Springfield in the fall of that year, but soon afterwards went to Joplin, Missouri, where he sold groceries for nine months, when he returned to this city and took the position of conductor on the popular Gulf railroad. Mr. Rountree is a member of the I. O. O. F., K.T. and Brotherhood of Railway Conductors. He was married September 15th, 1876, to Miss Fannie E. Massey. They have three children viz.: Frank M., John F. and Etta. The Rountrees are some of Greene's earliest and best settlers.
NEWTON M. ROUNTREE. Mr. Rountree is the son of Z. M. and Elizabeth (Massey) Rountree, and was born Nov. 5th, 1838, on his father's farm three miles northeast of Springfield, Missouri. He was educated in the county, and in 1800 entered the store of Massey & McAdams, as clerk, and in 1864 became a partner in the house and so remained until 1869. From 1869 to 1871 he was of the firm of Keet, Massey & Co., and when the firm reorganized in 1871, it became Keet, Rountree & Co., and so continues. Mr. Rountree was married in 1867 to Miss Grabella, daughter of Hon. Charles Haden, of this county. Their marriage is blest with three sons and two daughters. Mrs. Rountree is a member of the Christian church. They are both of the pioneer families of the county, and none are more honorable or more highly respected in Greene county.
JOHN G. RUSSELL. Mr. Russell is the son of James and Lucy (Bent) Russell, and ,was born in St. Louis county, Missouri, Nov. 6, 1830. He was educated at St. Louis and at Yale college, but was called home by the death of his father before he completed the college course. He held several minor positions in St. Louis, and in 1863 became one of the firm of Park, Russell & Co., or Oak Hill Fire Brick Co., and so remained until 1875. He came to Springfield in the fall of 1879, and since 1880 has been one of the proprietors of the Queen City Mills. Mr. Russell was married Nov. 8, 1853, to Miss Pauline Parker, of St. Louis, formerly of Rocheport, Boone county, Missouri. They have had nine children, six girls and three boys, five girls and one boy living. Mr. Russell is a member of the Knights of Honor, and he and his wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church. His father died in St. Louis county, in 1850, and had been for many years a judge of the county court. He was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, and emigrated to Cape Girardeau county, Missouri, in 1825, and moved from there to St. Louis county. Mr. Russell's mother died in 1870. 
EMIL SANDER. This gentleman was born in Stockholm, Sweden, January 1st, 1842. He learned the trade of cabinet-maker, serving some six years apprenticeship. In 1869 he came to the United States, landing at New York city. In the spring of 1874 he came to Springfield, Missouri, and has ever since been engaged in the furniture trade. His store is at 219 Boonville street and is a two-story and basement building, 100x21 feet. They carry a general stock of furniture, carpets, picture material etc., and do a wholesale and retail business. Mr. Sander was married in New York city, to Miss Alice Ashman. She died in 1876, and in 1881 be was again married to Miss Mary Swansen, of Wright county, Missouri. Mr. Sander has been very successful in business here in Springfield, and promises to be one of the leading mercantile men of the Southwest.
DANIEL BOONE SAVAGE. Mr. Savage is a son of Thomas B. and Frances S. (Robinson) Savage, and was born April 6th, 1838, in Madison county, Illinois. He received his education at Highland, Illinois, and lived upon the farm with his father until the war commenced. He enlisted in company O, 117th Illinois infantry, as a private, but was afterward promoted corporal. He participated in the battles of Clinton, Mississippi; Fort De Russey, Louisiana; Pleasant Hill, Louisiana; Yellow Bayou, Louisiana; Lake Chicot, Arkansas; Lupelo, Mississippi; Hurricane Creek, Mississippi; Franklin, Missouri; Nashville, Tennessee, and Blakely, Alabama. In 1865 he returned home and engaged in farming. In 1869 he came to Missouri and settled in Greens county. He was a member of the police force of Springfield in 1878, and deputy constable in 1874-5. In 1876 was elected constable of Campbell township, and re-elected in 1878 and served until 1880. He is now of the firm of Winkel & Savage, on St. Louis street. They have the largest meat market in the city. Mr. Savage was elected a justice of the peace of Campbell township in November, 1882. He was married November 29th, 1865, to Miss A. L. Hanptly, of Madison county, Illinois. Their union has been bleat with nine children, seven of whom are living. He is a member of the M. E. church South, an Odd Fellow and a Knight of Pythias. His father was killed by a team running away in St. Louis in 1868. His mother died in 1871. They had ten children, five boys and five girls; seven are yet living, Daniel being the third son and fifth child.
JOHN SCHMOOK. Mr. Schmook is the son of Michael and Fredricka (Zeuner) Schmook, and was born in Berlin, Prussia, August 29th, 1825. He was educated in his native city, and learned the cabinet-maker's trade under his father, serving some four years. From April 1st, 1846, to April 1st, 1849, he served in the Prussian army in the engineer corps. In 1850 he returned home to civil life and started in the cabinet business, which he followed until 1854. In September of that year he crossed the Atlantic and landed at New York, where he lived for a year and a half, and then he "came West." He first stopped at Iowa City, where he lived until 1856, and then went to New Orleans, then to Leavenworth, Kansas City and St. Joe. Not liking the business outlook in the places he visited, he returned to Iowa City, and remained there until 1859, when he came to Springfield, Missouri, and worked for Ebert, Hurst & Co., furniture dealers and manufacturers. He next went into business for himself. He accumulated quite a competency, and is and has been identified with all the leading industries and enterprises of the city. He has represented the third ward in the city council twice. He was married in St. Louis in 1865 to Miss Anna Kirfer. Their union has been blest with thirteen children, ten boys and three girls; five boys and one girl are living. Mr. Schmook is a substantial citizen and a public-spirited gentleman. 
PROF. EDWARD M. SHEPARD. Professor Shepard is a son of Samuel and Mary (Dennis) Shepard, and was born at Winsted, Conn., May 15, 1854. In 1871 and 1872 he followed civil engineering on the Chicago and Northwestern, and the Boston and New York railroads. He graduated from Williams College, Massachusetts, in the class of 1878, receiving the degree of A. M. He arranged the museum at Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia. In 1878, he was called to the chair of natural science at Waynesburg College, Pennsylvania, but resigned to accept a similar call from Drury College, at Springfield, Missouri. He was married June 28, 1881, to Miss Harriet E. Ohlon, of Madison, Now York, a graduate of the Vassar College in class of 1874. She was lady principal of Drury College for three years. Prof. Shepard's father died in 1872 at Norfolk, Connecticut. His mother is living here with him. They had three children, the professor being the oldest.
FRANK A. SHIPMAN. Mr. Shipman is the son of Jesse P. and Lydia (Huber) Shipman, and was born at Findley, Hancock county, Ohio, ApriI 13, 1858. He came to Springfield in May, 1866, where he was educated in the public schools. He clerked one year in a queensware house, and then for ten years was clerk in the bookstore of A. R. Fearn. He became a partner in the house February 1, 1882, and the firm is now A. R. Fearn & Co. They have the largest book, stationary and wall paper store in Southwest Missouri, and do both a wholesale and retail business. Mr. Shipman is a member of Grace M. E. Church. Jesse Shipman, the father of our subject, was born at Bloomington, Pennsylvania, August 15, 1927. He first moved to Ohio, from there to Chillicothe, Mo., and in 1866 to Springfield, Mo., where he died September 24, 1876. His widow is still living in Springfield. They had three sons and one daughter.
CAPTAIN FRANCIS M. SHOCKLEY. This gentleman is the son of B. and Lillie (Beal) Shockley, and was born in Tennessee, August 9, 1881. In 1841 his parents moved to Greene county, Mo., and it was here that Francis grew to manhood and was educated. He learned the trade of carpenter, and in 1858 moved to Dade county, Missouri. He enlisted in the Home Guards, but after the battle of Wilson's Creek he went to Illinois. He returned in 1862 and took charge of the government carpenter shop, receiving the same pay as captain, and so served until the close of the war. Capt. Shockley was married May 7, 1854, to Miss Fannie, daughter of Washington Armor one of the early settlers of Southwest Missouri. Their union was blest with eight children, four of whom are now living. Captain Shockley is a large contractor and builder having built many of the largest and best business houses in the city. He built the Christian church, of which he and his wife are members. His father was a native of Georgia, but moved to Tennessee in an early day. He died upon his farm near Springfield, Mo., in 1869.
JOHN A. SHORT. Mr. Short is a son of Elias B. and Rebecca (McCullah) Short, and was born April 23, 1852, ten miles southwest of Springfield, Missouri. He remained at home upon the farm until he was eighteen years of age. He then came to Springfield, and was a clerk in the post-office for five years. He was appointed postal clerk, or route agent, upon the St. L. & S. F. R.R. upon the 18th of November, 1876, to run between St. Louis and Springfield. He was married December 28, 1875, to Miss Mary E., daughter of Rev. T. H. Hagerty, of the Methodist church. Their union has been blest with one son and one daughter. Mr. Short is a member of the Knights of Honor, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist church. His parents are yet living upon the farm they settled when they first came from Tennessee. They had a family of six sons and two daughters. John A. being one of the most reliable officials in the postal service. 
PHILIP T. SIMMONS. Mr. Simmons, the present able prosecuting attorney of Greene county, was born in Davidson county, Tenn., January 15, 1848, and is the son of Dr. G. J. and Fannie (Taylor) Simmons. Dr. Simmons was a native of Virginia, and moved to Tennessee when a young man, where he remained till his removal to Logan county, Kentucky, in about 1864. He was once a physician of large practice, and though still living in Kentucky he has retired from his profession. Philp's mother died when he was about four years old, having borne a family of eight children, they have five sons and three daughters, the subject of this sketch being the youngest. He received his education chiefly in Logan county, Kentucky though he did not complete it till after he had been a soldier in the civil war. He enlisted in company A, 8th (afterwards 12th) regiment of Lyon's brigade of Kentucky volunteers, and served till mustered out at Columbus, Miss., May 16, 1865. After his return home he attended school till 1868, then began the study of law in the office of Judge J. H. Bowden. He was admitted to the bar in November, 1869, by George O. Rogers, judge of the 4th judicial district of Kentucky. In January following, he came to Springfield, Mo., and taught school for six months at Fair Grove, in Greene county. In the fall of 1870, was admitted to the practice of law in Greene county, and licensed to practice in all courts of record in Missouri. He received the Democratic nomination for prosecuting attorney in 1882, and the following November was duly elected, receiving a majority of 486 votes over his Republican competitor. February 11, 1878, Mr. Simmons was married to Miss Mary Doling, daughter of James M. Doling, of Springfield. They have five children, all of them boys. Mr. Simmons is a Free Mason, and also a member of the A. O. U. W. His wife is a member of the Christian church of Springfield.
GEORGE W. SITTLER. Mr. Sittler in the son of Jacob and Sidney (Cummings) Sittler, and was born August 26th, 1847, in Shelby county, Illinois. He was educated in the common schools of his native county, and at the age of nineteen he entered into an apprenticeship under Dr. Geo. H. Hannaman to learn photographic work. He served two years, and then bought the gallery from Dr. Hannaman in 1868. In 1872 he took A. R. Launey into partnership with him, under the firm name of Sittler & Launey. In August, 1881, he sold out to his partner and went to Fort Scott, Kansas, where he remained for a short time. In January, 1882, he came to Springfield and purchased the gallery of Capt. S. W. Johnson, where he now carries on the business. He is a member of the Photographic Association of America, attends all conventions of his fellow-artists and keeps posted in all things relating to the art. He has a large gallery, and employs three assistants, one of whom, Robt. M. Hoot, does all kinds of crayon and water-color work, and enlarges pictures. The gallery is located on St. Louis street, just east of the square. He does quite a wholesale business in picture frames, materials, chemicals, etc. He has one of the largest trades in the business in the Southwest. Mr. Sittler is a Knight of Honor, and a Royal Arch Mason.
JOHN T. SMITH. The subject of this sketch was born May 23d, 1797, in Franklin county, Georgia, and is the son of John and Elizabeth (Morgan) Smith. He was educated at Willington college, South Carolina, from which institution he graduated. It was his fortune while attending college to have been many times examined by that prince of statesmen John O. Calhoun. He was a schoolmate of Gen. McDuffie, who afterward became the colleague of Calhoun in the Senate of the United States. Mr. Smith was a soldier of the war of 1812, serving about six months. Soon after that war closed his parents emigrated to that part of Mississippi territory, which subsequently became the State of Alabama, and located near Huntsville. In 1818, Mr. Smith was elected magistrate and served eight years. His father gave him a tract of land and seven negroes, and he farmed until 1832, by which time he had made fifty thousand dollars. In 1833 he moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and ran a large brewing establishment for three years, and then went into the wholesale grocery business, which he followed until 1841, and in it, also, he made about fifty thousand dollars. He then went to Virginia and bought sixty-five slaves, and took them to Henry county, Tennessee, where he carried on a mule farm of three thousand acres, until 1852. He then spent two years in different States buying up land warrants, and in 1855 came to Springfield, Missouri. He was married Dec. 10th, 1816, to Elizabeth Shotwell, by whom he had seven children, four boys and three girls, of whom two girls are now living. His first wife died in 1862, and in July, 1867, he married Willea Dantyrell. He joined the Methodist church in Alabama, in 1816. In early times he was a member of the Whig and Know Nothing parties. His father came to the United States as a British soldier, and was twice wounded, and taken prisoner in Virginia. He was the first clerk of Madison county, Georgia, and served for twenty-seven years. He died in 1818, and his wife in 1816.
HON. JARED E. SMITH. This gentleman is the son of William P. and Christian (Patterson) Smith, and was born in Maury county, Tennessee, October 8, 1826. He was educated in the common schools of his neighborhood and made the best of his advantages. When sixteen years of age he engaged as a driver, receiving for his services six dollars per month. In 1846 he was married to Miss Sarah Roberts Mack, and settled upon a small farm and began business for himself, occasionally working at the carpenter's trade. In 1851 he, with his wife and two children, removed to Springfield, Mo. He engaged in farming, the first year, and then for six years in house building and cabinet making. In 1853 he borrowed capital and built a planing mill, grist mill, foundry, and machine shop, in which he used the first steam machinery in Springfield. When the war came up he helped organize a company of Home Guards, who were soon changed into U. S. volunteers, and participated in the battle of Wilson's Creek, August 10, 1861. He was soon after made captain of company D, 72d regiment, Militia, and helped in the defense of Springfield, when it was attacked January 8, 1863, by General Marmaduke. In 1862 was elected to represent Greene county in the Legislature. In 1864, was elected upon the Republican State ticket as register of lands, and held that office four years. He was also county treasurer of Greene county for two years. In 1868 he and his son-in-law, John R. Furgerson, engaged in the drug business, and in 1873 the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Smith embarked in the crockery and queensware business. In 1876 he was again elected to the Legislature, in which capacity he served his constituents well and faithfully. He has been identified with the public-spirited citizens of the county in developing Southwest Missouri, and he is justly regarded as one of Greene's most prominent citizens.
WILLIAM N. SMITH. Mr. Smith is a son of P. R. Smith, and a grandson of Wm. B. Logan, and Gen. Nick B. Smith. He was born at Springfield, Mo., June 28, 1854. He was educated at Springfield, and for four years was book-keeper for Waldo O. Booth, one of the largest hardware dealers of Springfield. Since then he has kept books for some of the leading mercantile firms of the city. He was married January 19, 1879, to Miss Seldie Dyer, a niece of Col. D. P. Dyer, of St. Louis, Mo. Mr. Smith's father is and has been for many years county clerk of Newton county, Missouri.
JAMES H. SMITH. This gentleman is the son of A. G. and Helen (Fitchett) Smith, and was born at Granville, Ohio, July 22d, 1842, and was educated at Dennison University. In July, 1862, he enlisted in the 113th regiment, Ohio volunteers, U. S. A., as a private, and resigned as captain in 1865. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in January, 1867, where he engaged in business for two or three years, and then traveled for a St. Louis grocery house for nine years. He then returned to Springfield, where be has been engaged in the grocery business ever since. He is proprietor of the Spot Cash Grocery Store, upon South street, where he is doing a flourishing business. Mr. Smith married Miss Lizzie Wall, of Duquoin, Illinois. They have one child. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., A.O.U.W., and the K. of H. He and his wife are members of the Episcopal church. His father died in 1862, at Granville, Ohio, and his mother is living at Kansas City. They had a family of four sons, James H. being the third child. 
HOLLET H. SNOW. Mr. Snow in the son of William C. and Amanda (Hollingsworth) Snow, and was born in Greene county, Mo., December 18, 1847. He grew to manhood upon the farm, and in 1868 was married to Miss Mary Lee, of this county. Their union was blest with two boys and two girls. In 1871 he came to Springfield, where he worked at Schmook's mill until 1879. He was then appointed policeman and served on the force a year; then was a deputy constable under D. V. Savage for six months, and from then until the spring of 1882, he was janitor of the public school building. On the 4th of April, 1882, he was elected to the office of city marshal, upon the Republican ticket. His first wife dying, Mr. Snow was married the second time to Julia E. Buckner. They have by this marriage one girl and two boys. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, and his wife is a member of the Christian church. His parents came from Indiana in 1844, and his father died March 28, 1865. His mother is living in Springfield. They had three girls and seven boys, Hollet being the fifth child.
VICTOR SOMMERS. Mr. Sommers is the son of F. and Sara (Marks) Sommers, and was born at Rheim Pfalc in 1840. In 1853 he came to the United States, landing at New Orleans, and from there went to Louisville, Kentucky, where he was for several years in a wholesale clothing house. In 1868 he came to Springfield, Missouri, where he has since been in the dry goods and, clothing business. The style of the firm has never been changed since he come to the city. They first located upon Boonville street, where Scott & Good now have a saloon; they then moved to where C. H. Heer & Co, now are, and in 1871, moved to where they are at present upon the north side of the square. Mr. Sommers was married in 1869 at Louisville, Kentucky, to Miss Bertha Bakrow. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the B'nai B'rith, a Jewish society. Mr. Sommer's father died in 1867, and his mother died in 1874 at Louisville. They had one son and six daughters. Their son Victor, being one of the leading merchants of Springfield.
ERNST SPEAKER. Ernst Speaker is the son of John and Sophia Speaker, and was born in the province of Mechlenburg, Germany, in September, 1847. He came to the United States when six or seven years of age, and located at Fort Smith, Arkansas, where he learned the tinner's trade. In November, 1867, he came to Springfield, Missouri, where he followed his trade until September, 1880. Then, in partnership with G. W. Hackney, they opened out a large stock of stoves and tinware, where they do a flourishing business at 217 Boonville street. Hackney & Speaker is one of the solid firms in the city, and they deserve the success they have met.
LEWIS SUTTER. Mr. Sutter is the son of John and Elizabeth (Tinsley) Sutter, and was born September 7th, 1842, in Clay county, Missouri. His father was born in Lorraine, France, but his parents soon after moved to Paris, where he took the position of butler for a nobleman, and traveled all over the old world with his employer. He went to Clay county, Missouri, in 1887, and followed farming extensively until his death in October, 1860. His wife died when Lewis was but three years old. She was of the family of Tinsleys, of Kentucky, that produced so much tobacco. Lewis was educated in Clay county, and remained at home on the farm until his father's death. In February, 1862, he enlisted in company F, Missouri State militia, at Plattsburg, Missouri, and was mustered out at Springfield, April 9th, 1865. He was married July 13th, 1865 in this city, to Miss D. E. Britte. Their union has been blest with two children, one son and one daughter. Soon after his marriage he went back to Clay county, where he lived until October, 1867, and then returned to Springfield, where he has been in the grocery business ever since. He is the senior member of the large grocery house of Sutter & Bryan on Boonville street. 
COL. JAMES B. THOMAS. Col. Thomas was born in Fredrick county, Maryland, February 4, 1806. He came West in 1833, and to Missouri in 1867, and to Springfield in 1874.
WINFIELD SCOTT THOMPSON. This gentleman is the son of Samuel S. and Mary R. (Flanagan) Thompson, and was born at Penn's Grove, Salem county, New Jersey. He was educated in his early youth in the common schools of his neighborhood, and at the age of eighteen he entered the Methodist Seminary at Pennington, N. J., where he remained three years, teaching during vacations to help defray his educational expenses. Immediately after leaving the school he began the study of law, which he prosecuted a year before entering a law school. In September, 1864, he entered the famous law school of Albany, N. Y., and graduated from that institution in May, 1865. Upon the suggestion of his friend, Hon. Henry T. Blow, of St. Louis, he settled in Marshfield, Webster county, Mo., in November, 1865, and entered upon the practice of his profession. In 1866 he was appointed county attorney, and held that responsible position until 1870. He was then appointed attorney and general agent of the Atlantic and Pacific railroad. In that capacity he settled the land question that had arisen between the 'squatters' and the railroad company, to the entire satisfaction of both. In 1875 he assisted in the organization of the Webster County Bank, at Marshfield, and was elected cashier, being one of the stockholders. In May, 1879, he sold out his banking business at Marshfield, and engaged in the same business at Wellington, Kansas, for a year. In October, 1880, he came to Springfield and was right-of-way agent for the Gulf railroad east of this city. He is now town site agent for all towns upon that road east of Springfield. Mr. Thompson is a member of the I. O. O. F. and has been a representative to the Grand Lodge several times. He was married September 16, 1866, to Miss Susanah W., daughter of Lazarus and Elizabeth Nichols, of Wright county, formerly of Kentucky.
W. M. A. TOWNSEND. Mr. Townsend is the son of William and Mary (Langston) Townsend, and was born September 5th, 1832, in Logan county, Kentucky. He is one of a family of twelve children, seven boys and five girls. His father emigrated to Missouri in the winter of 1832, and settled about three miles south of Springfield, where William grow up, attending the schools in his neighborhood. In 1849, he went to California, where he lived until 1853, when he came back to Missouri, and stayed three years. In 1856, he and his father took a drove of cattle across the great plains, and reached California just six months after starting. He lived there until 1871, when he returned to Springfield, Mo., whore he has built up an extensive trade in the boot and shoe line, both wholesale and retail. Mr. Townsend is sole preprietor and manager. He was married on the 16th of September, 1855, to Miss Nancy L., daughter of George Rainey. They have four children, two boys and two girls. Mr. Townsend is a Mason, and a prominent member of the Cuimberland Presbyterian church. His mother died when he was quite young, and his father died in Cassville, Barry county, Mo., at about eighty years of age. He was one of Greene's earliest pioneers. 
OLIVER HOMER TRAVERS. This gentleman is the son of Jeremiah T. and Sarah R. (Navy) Travers, and was born in Baltimore, Maryland. He was educated in that city and in St. Mary's county, Maryland. In the fall of 1866 he came to St. Louis, Missouri, where he clerked in a commission house for about eight months. In May, 1867, he came to Springfield, and accepted a clerkship in the drug store of Murphy & Clements, where he remained eighteen months. He then entered the law once of McAfee & Phelps, where he studied, and was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1869. In 1872-3 he was elected city attorney upon the Democratic ticket. In 1876 he was nominated for the Legislature, but declined to run. He was prosecuting attorney of Greene county from 1879 to 1881. In 1881 was city attorney of North Springfield. In 1880 he made the race for the Legislature, against Walter Langston, Republican, and was only beaten by forty-six votes. Mr. Travers was married November 20, 1869, to Miss Virginia, M., daughter of Dr. Wm. Parrish, of this county. Their union was blest with three children, only one of whom, Fred. P., is living. Mr. Travers has been for several years high priest of the Springfield Royal Arch Chapter, No. 15, Seignior Warden of Solomon Lodge, No. 271, and Prelate of St. John's Commandery, No. 20, and a member of the I. O. O. F. As a lawyer he stands among the first of the Southwest, and as an orator he is surpassed by no man in Southern Missouri. His father is living in Maryland, and his mother died in 1859. They had five children, of whom Oliver is the oldest.
JAMES D. VAN BIBBER. This gentleman is the son of Joseph and Susan (Boone) Van Bibber, and was born May 3, 1828, in Liberty, Clay county, Missouri. In 1882 his parents moved to Randolph county, Arkansas, where they died, leaving James D., our subject, still a child. In 1844 he came with his grandfather, Daniel Boone, to Greene county, Missouri, and settled on a farm near Ash Grove. He worked upon a farm, and saved money enough to give himself a good common school education. He taught school several terms, two in 1849, and one in the winter of 1850. In May, 1850, he sold goods for Alfred Stealey, at Cave spring, which position he held until Mr. Stealey's death in 1853. Mrs. Stealey then gave Mr. Van Bibber entire control of the store until 1866, when he bought the stock of goods from her, and ran it on his own account until 1860. He was married February 28, 1854, to Caroline, daughter of Alfred and Lucinda (Brower) Stealey. They have been blest with two children, viz.. Alfred H. and Laura B. In 1869 he removed to Walnut Grove, where he lived until 1874, when he made the race for county clerk, upon the Democratic ticket, and was elected. He served his term of four years, and was renominated and re-elected in 1878, and was again re-elected in 1882. He is held in high esteem by all political parties. He is a Mason, has been secretary of the lodge for several years, and is a gentleman in every sense.
JAMES B. VAUGHAN. Mr. Vaughan is the son of Thomas and Susan B. Vaughan, and was born January 6, 1845, at Murfeesborough, Tennessee. In 1849 his parents moved to that part of Greene county that is now Christian. James was educated at the Ozark high school under the instruction of Rev. J. C. Learned, and in 1859 he returned to Tennessee and attended the Union University. He then returned to Ozark and in March, 1862, enlisted in company C, 6th Missouri Cavalry, as a private, but was promoted to the rank of sergeant major, and so mustered out at Baton Rouge, March 12, 1865. He graduated from the Ann Arbor law school in 1868, and attended the university at Jacksonville, Illinois, one year before going to Ann Arbor. He returned to Ozark where he remained in the practice of the law until May 1877, when he came to Springfield and formed a law partnership with Hon. S. H. Boyd. Mr. Vaughan was married May 10, 1871 to Miss B. A. Weaver. They have had one son and three daughters. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is one of Greene's leading citizens. His father was a native of Rutherford county, Tennessee, born January 8, 1814, and died in Christian county, Missouri, August 18, 1880. His mother is yet living in Springfield. They had two sons, the subject of this sketch being one, and Samuel R. the other, and one daughter, Sarah R. now the wife of J. Bell, all living in Springfield. 
S. S. VINTON, JR. Mr. Vinton is the son of Samuel S. and Margaret (Campbell) Vinton, and was born at Springfield, Missouri, July 16, 1857. He was educated at the public schools and at Drury College. He was married October 8, 1878, to Miss Ella Whitson, of Springfield, Their Union was blest with one child. Mrs.Vinton died March 15, 1882. Mr.Vinton, since quitting school, had been engaged in business with some of the leading men of the county, both as clerk and as a partner. Since January, 1, 1883, he and his brother have been in the dry goods and boot and shoe business for themselves on the north side of the square. They are upright, enterprising young men and will succeed.
R. S. WADDELL. Mr. Waddell is the son of Hon. John S. Waddell, and was born at Springfield, Missouri, Nov. 6, 1850. He was educated at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and returned to Springfield, where for two years he was engaged in mercantile pursuits as a clerk. In 1874 he went into the wholesale house of Keet, Rountree & Co., and has been with them ever since. He was married Dec. 3, 1874, to Miss L. D. Shipman, of this city. They have two girls and one boy. Mr.Waddell is member of the A.O.U.W., and he and his wife are members of the Methodist church. He has been quite successful in business and is one of the substantial young men of the county.
JUDGE RALPH WALKER. Judge Walker is the son of Ralph and Ann (Bigley) Walker, and was born in Cloncanon House, county of Galway, Ireland, November 27th, 1881. He was educated at Ranella College Athlone, in the central portion of Ireland, and subsequently in that historic city Londonderry, where his family name became associated with the memorable defence of that place under the leadership of Governor George Walker in repelling the attacks of the forces by King James. At the age of eighteen he came to America, landing at Philadelphia in 1851, and in that year he went to St. Louis and accepted a position under his brother John, who was the agent of the Adams Express Company at that city. He continued in that position until 1854, when he accepted the first clerkship on the steamer Badger State, plying between St. Louis and St. Paul; then on the steamer Thomas Swann, from Louisville to New Orleans, and afterwards on the Edward Walsh and Michigan, between St. Louis and New Orleans. From 1858 to 1862 he was general freight and passenger agent of the Wabash railroad in St. Louis. In the latter year he made a trip to Liverpool, England, taking over the first cargo of petroleum oil that ever crossed the Atlantic ocean. In 1865 he returned to St. Louis, and in 1866 he came to Greene county and engaged in the mercantile business at Ash Grove; organized and laid out that town. In 1870 he was elected county judge by those who favored internal improvements regardless of party fealty. He served six years. In 1876 he assisted in the reorganization of the Kansas City and Memphis railroad, in which he became a director, and since the sale of that road to the Fort Scott and Gulf company he has laid out and organized the towns of Everotn, Seymour, Cabool and West Memphis. He is also proprietor of the Ash Grove mines. In 1857 he was married in the city of Dublin, by the Bishop of Cork, to Frances J., daughter of Major Henry Wilson, of Her Majesty's 32d regiment of foot. They have had eight children, seven boys and one girl, two of whom died in infancy. His eldest son, Harry W., is at present connected with the Globe-Democrat of St. Louis. Judge Walker is a Mason and Senior Warden of Christ's Episcopal Church, Springfield. 
WILLIAM HENRY WARD. Mr. Ward is the son of William T. and Louisa J. Ward, and was born October 10, 1842 in Greene county, Mo., two miles west of Springfield. He grew to manhood upon the farm, and when the war broke out he joined the militia for a year, and then enlisted in the 2d Missouri light artillery, battery 1, as first sergeant. He was at the battles of Springfield and Nashville. At Springfield he was wounded in the left hand. He was mustered out August 10, 1865, at Benton Barracks, St. Louis. Mo. He then came home and learned the trade of stone mason, and worked at it ten years, and during the time laid the foundation for some of the principal business houses in the city of Springfield. In 1879 he moved to Christian county and ran a saw mill, and in January, 1888, he returned to Springfield, and now has charge of the large saw mill of R. A. Campbell. His first vote was cast for Lincoln in 1864 on the steamer J. D. Berry. He was married September 22, 1870, to Miss Lavinia, daughter of Henry Clay, of Springfield. Their union has been blest with three sons and one daughter. His father was born January 10, 1814, in Tazewell county, Tenn., and came to Greene county, Mo., in 1887, settling upon the place where Col. J. H. Price now lives. He then moved six miles south of Springfield, where he has lived forty-five years. His first wife was Miss Priscilla Price, a sister of Judge Wm. C. Price. She dying, he married Louisa J. Epperson, by whom he had seven children, four sons and three daughters. His second wife died March 31, 1864. Mr. Ward, sr., was a Know Nothing before the war, and voted for Lincoln in 1864. He was one of the pioneers of the county, and one of Greene's best citizens.
JOSEPH WARD. Mr. Ward is the son of Jacob and Annie (Smith) Ward, and was born in Pennsylvania, July 8th, 1839. When Joseph was quite a small boy his parents moved to Gallia county, Ohio, where he received his education and grew to manhood. In 1861 he enlisted in company M, 11th Pennsylvania cavalry, and served four years and twenty-three days. He was mustered out at Richmond, Virginia, in the fall of 1865. He served for some time as a dispatch courier for Gen. McClellan and other noted generals. He came to Springfield, Mo., in November, 1866, and freighted goods from Rolla to Springfield. In July, 1866, he was appointed as one of the police force, and has served about five years in all. He was in the grocery business for a year, but is now on the force, and discharges his duty without fear or favor. He was married in 1867, to Miss Martha J. Beal, of this city. Their married life has been blest with two children, George S. (deceased), and Fred. He and his wife are members of the Christian church. Mr. Ward's father died in Pennsylvania, when he, Joseph, was eleven years old, and his mother died in Springfield, in 1879. They had seven children, four of whom are now living.
DR. LORENZO T. WATSON. Dr. Watson is the son of Barnett and Jane (Holloway) Watson, and was born September 17th, 1833, in Monroe county, Tennessee. He is the second child of a family of twelve children. He was educated in his native county at Hiwasse College, attending five years. In 1851-52 and '53, he taught school in Georgia, Alabama and North Carolina. He left Tennessee upon the 10th day of October, 1853, and reached Greene county, Missouri Nov 20th, on foot, having walked the entire distance. He taught, school in Cass and Robberson townships for two years. He then studied medicine in the office of Dr. Clinton, of Ash Grove, for one year. In the fall of 1856 he went to McDowell's College, St. Louis, and took one course of lectures. He then went to Hartsville, Wright county, Mo., and practiced medicine until the fall of 1858, when he returned to the same medical college and graduated in March, 1859. He then returned to Hartsville and practiced his profession until the war broke out, when he was appointed assistant surgeon of the 24th Missouri volunteers, Union army. He was afterward surgeon of the M.S.M. He was in the service about three years, and then came to Springfield and engaged in the mercantile business. He remained in business in the city about three years, and then moved out to his farm in Cass township, where he lived until 1881, when he came back and moved into the house where he now lives, on South street, said to be one of the first brick houses built in the city. Dr. Watson was married in August 1865, to Miss Josephine Massey. They were blest with one child, Eddie. The doctor's parent's came to Missouri in 1851, and settled in Cass township. His father died in 1861, and his mother in 1882, at the age of sixty-nine. 
JAMES M. WILHOIT. Mr. Wilhoit is the son of Andrew and Jane (Gentry) Wilhoit, and was born in Clay county, Missouri, January 12th, 1834. He was educated in Clay, and at High school in Andrew county, Mo. He lived upon the farm until he was twenty-two years of age, and then taught school in Clay county for about five years. He learned the trade of carriage and wagon-maker from his father. July 2d, 1863, he enlisted in company O, 6th Missouri S. M. cavalry, but saw no active service. He was married November 23d, 1865, to Miss Nannie, daughter of Z. M. Rountree, Esq. They have had seven children, five boys and two girls. In the spring of 1870, he and F. J. Underwood organized the Springfield Wagon Company. In 1874, he was elected on the temperance ticket as marshal of Springfield, but has followed his trade most of the time since coming to Greene county. He took a contract to furnish meet to the Gulf railroad in April, 1882. Mr. Wilhoit has been a Mason for twenty-five years, and is a member of the A.O.U.W. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church South. His father died in 1868, and his mother died in 1874. They had a family of seven children.
J. N. WILLIAMS. Mr. Williams is the son of John R. Williams, who came to this county about 1833, and was born here in October, 1840. He lived in Dade county, Missouri, from 1852 to 1856, and than removed to Barry county. He returned to Greene county in 1860, and in 1861 enlisted in the 8th Missouri volunteers, U.S.A., under Col. W. F. Geiger, and served about one year. He was a non-commissioned officer of company K. He was disabled and discharged. Since coming to Springfield, he has been actively engaged in business, and for the last twelve years has been in the produce business, most of the time with J. M. Garrett, and still remains at the old stand with A. Koenigsbruck. Mr. Williams was married March 19, 1865, to Miss Matilda P., daughter of Junius M. Rountree, one of the most prominent citizens of this county. Their union is blessed with five children, three boys and two girls.
JOHN M. WOOD is a son of John and Elizabeth (Morris) Wood, and was born in what was then a wilderness, but now Rockford City, Illinois, upon the 19th of September, 1836. His parents soon after moved to Tennessee, where young John received his education. His father was a cotton-spinner and also ran a tanyard. John worked with his father in Tennessee until they moved to Springfield, Missouri, in May, 1853. His father bought a farm five miles northwest of Springfield, where John lived with his parents until 1858, when he accepted a clerkship in the general store of Charles Shepard, in Springfield, where he remained eighteen months. In 1860 he embarked in the mercantile business for himself in partnership with Joseph Weaver. The war coming on soon paralyzed all business, and the firm closed business. In 1864 he engaged in the grocery trade and remained in that business until 1880. He is now of the general merchandise firm of Wood & Williams. Mr. Wood joined the Christian church in Tennessee, and is now elder and treasurer of that church, and has been a member of the city council. He was married in September, 1860, to Miss Sarah A., daughter of Dr. William Shackelford of this county. Their union has been blest with six children, three boys and three girls, all living. Mrs. Wood is of the same religious faith as her husband, and the family is one of the county's "salt of the earth." 
WILLIAM H. WORRELL (DECEASED). Mr. Worrell was born in Baltimore, Md., October 7, 1825. He lived in that city until 1846, when he moved to St. Louis, Mo. He came to Springfield in 1869 and built the house on the square with glass front, where his widow is now doing business. During the war he was a Union man, but being lame he could not bear arms but assisted in raising troops, etc. His family became well known for their kindness in ministering to the sick and wounded soldiers, and have never received any remuneration. They have received many letters from soldiers who regained health under their tender care, and the officers spoke well of their unselfish offices to the distressed. When the Confederates had possession of Springfield Mr. Worrell and family had to leave. They returned, however, with Curtis' army, and have carried on the same business of bakery and confectionery. Mr. Worrell was married in 1848, in Baltimore, to Miss Sophia N. Henry, often mentioned in these pages. Mr. Worrell died December 27, 1878.
DR. CHARLES F. WRIGHT. Dr. Wright was born at Tiffin, Ohio, January 26th, 1849. His parents were Rev. Chas. A. and Hannah E. (Fisher) Wright, the former being a minister of the Methodist church. Charles F. received his education at Heidelberg College, leaving school at the early age of fourteen to enlist in the cause of the Union against the enemies of the government. He joined company K, 49th Ohio regulars, enlisting January 1st, 1864, as drummer boy. Subsequently he was detailed as Gen. Wood's private orderly, and served until mustered out at Victoria, Texas, in the fall of 1865. Young as he was, he served with Gen. Sherman all through his active campaigning in the years 1864-5. In October, 1867, his parents and himself came to Springfield, this county, and Charles began studying dentistry the following year in the office of Dr. Natrass, and remained with him some three years. In the fall of 1871 he went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and took a course of lectures in the dental college of that city, which prepared him for the practice of the profession. On completing his course, he came back to Missouri, locating first at Lebanon, Laclede county, where he opened an office and practiced dentistry for three years. He returned to Springfield in the fall of 1875, opened an office, and has done here a successful practice ever since. Dr. Wright is connected with the Kansas City Dental College, and annually delivers lectures for the benefit of students attending that institution. He has the largest and most elegant dental parlors in this part of the State, and is assisted by his brother, Silas A. Wright. December 4th, 1870, Dr. Wright was married to Miss Jennie Smith, of Lebanon, Missouri. They have one son and one daughter, named respectively, Charles D. and Lizzle B. Rev. Charles Wright, above mentioned, was born in Syracuse, New York, and died in San Francisco, California, in 1867, whither he had gone for his health. He was, for twenty-five years, a minister of the M. E. church. He was one of the first to volunteer for national defence at the outbreak of the civil war, and was first lieutenant in the 8th Ohio, and subsequently was captain in the 82d Ohio. His family numbered five children, three sons and two daughters of whom Dr. Charles F. was the second in order of birth. His mother (widow of Rev. Wright), still resides in Springfield. Though still a young man, Dr. Wright has built for himself a reputation and a practice in his profession that many an older practitioner might envy; and his courteous treatment of all patients, under the greatest pressure of business, has won for him many warm personal friends—a thing fully merited by such a genial gentleman as Dr. Chas. F. Wright. 
Next Chapter | Table of Contents | Keyword Search
History of Greene County Home | Local History Home