Jackson township occupies the northeastern part of Greene county, and comprises the portion of congressional township 31, range 20, included in Greene county; township 30, range 20, and one mile of the upper tier of sections of township 29, range 20.
A great deal of the land in this township is broken, rough and inferior, but the better portions redeem it and make of it one of the beat townships of the county.
The Pomme de Terre creek flows through the township. In July, 1876, this stream was extraordinarily full on account of freshets from heavy rains, and did widespread damage to the farms along its banks, overflowing fields, and sweeping away fences and crops. The height to which it rose was between three and four feet higher than it was ever known to have reached before.
According to the best information obtainable Jackson township was settled as early as 1829, when Andrew Bass came in sometime in December of that year and located half a mile west of the present site of Strafford. In the same vicinity, though a little east, in section 5 - 29 - 20, old Jeremiah Pierson was an early resident and one of the first settlers of the county. He lived at the Danforth farm on the Springfield and Marshfield road, a farm which Josiah F. Danforth purchased of Jeremiah Pierson in 1834, and where he lived for many years. Danforth was from Tennessee, and was the father of James, Joseph and William Danforth. 
In the year 1830, Andrew Bass put about nine acres of land under cultivation at the place where he first settled, and at the close of the year moved about six miles north to section 4, township 30, range 20. The remains of the old pioneer and his wife now repose on the farm where he lived for many years. Alpheus Huff the same year (1830) moved from Franklin county, Missouri, and settled near the line between sections 4 and 5 of the same township. Huff was a native of the State of New York. He and Bass were the first settlers of Congressional township 30, range 20. Alexander Chadwick was the next arrival. He came from Tennessee, and settled in section 7, of the same township, in 1831. No settlements of any importance were then made for two or three years. The settlement in this quarter was called the Huff's prairie settlement. In township 31, range 20, among the first settlers were Thomas Potter, William Potter, John Adams, Robert Small, James Donnell, and Capt. John Ramey; and in township 30, range 20, William Price, George Kepley, Nathan Webb, and Bennett Thrower.
The first white child born in the township was probably James Bass, the son of Andrew Bass. The date of his birth has not been learned.
The first church organized in Jackson township was the Bethsaida Methodist church, built of logs, which stood on section 7, of township 30, range 20. Within a mile and a half was afterward built the Elm Spring Methodist church, erected after old Bethsaida had ceased to exist. One of the first preachers in the township was the Rev. Mr. Joplin, a traveling Methodist preacher, who preached from house to house throughout that part of the county. The first Methodist, society was organized at the widow Price's, in section 4, of township 30, range 20. Rev. Thomas Potter, a Christian elder, preached at Thos. Baylis' house at a very early day. Rev. Potter also taught a pioneer school at Green Warren's, and this was one of the first schools in the township.
Of course, James H. Slavens was the first Methodist preacher in all Southwest Missouri, but it is believed that Rev. H. G. Joplin preached the first Methodist sermon in Jackson township. Rev. Joplin was originally from Tennessee, and was transferred from the Tennessee conference to the Missouri conference, held at McKendrie Chapel, Cape Girardeau county, September 16, 1831.
The early settlers of Jackson township had Boonville and St. Louis for their most important markets and trading points. The first mill was old Jerry Pearson's, but many of the settlers considered Marshal's, down on the James, the best. John Roberts' still-house, east of Springfield was the first establishment of that kind in the country. Roberts was killed in Springfield by Judge Yancey and the distillery passed into the hand of Wm. McFarland. 
Jackson was one of the seven original townships organized at the first session of the Greene county court, March 11, 1833. Its first boundaries (see Chapter 11.) were very ample and including a great deal of the territory new in Webster and Polk counties.
Missionary (Baptist) Church was organized Sept. 11, 1858. It was situated on section 26, township 30, range 20. The original members were Daniel Wommack, Mary Wommack, N. T. McNabb, R. B. Wommack, Lucinda Wommack, Rev. J. H. Wommack and wife. The church building was erected in September, 1858, at a cost of about $1,800. It was dedicated on its completion, by Rev. George White, of this county. The pastors of this church have been Rev. D. R. Murphy, who served two years; J. Williams, two years; J. Spain, one year; J. Good, one year; E. W. White, six years; J. H. Wommack, twelve years, and Geo. White. Since its organization the church has received by baptism 124 members; by letter, 97; dismissed by letter, 58; excluded, 12; died 42. The present membership is 108. This church has sent out and maintained a missionary for two years. A first-class Sunday-school library is the property of the chnrch.
Fair Grove is situated in the northeastern part of Greene county, on section 20, township 31, in a timbered region of country, abounding in good soil, and in which there are many excellent farms. It was never regularly laid out as a town. The first house erected was a log school house, known as Duke's school house, built in the year 1846. Thirty years ago the pioneers of that thriving community were preparing, to honor their intelligent love of freedom by dedicating the first building of the future village to the purpose of education. Its architecture was of the rude description common in those days, and it was furnished with hewn slabs for benches, without any desks at all. Many of our leading, men have tender memories of the old log, school house, where their first lessons in Webster's spelling-book, and in physical pain and anguish, were learned in close conjunction with each other. 
The first teacher employed to teach the district school was a man by the name of Chatham Duke, who was a fair sample of that old-fashioned schoolmaster who regarded the rod as a most essential auxiliary in imparting knowledge to the youthful mind. The district at that time covered an area of twenty-four square miles.
In 1853, C. W. Huff, H. G. Ramey, Payton Keel and Logan Mayfield built a storehouse on the present site, and the store of Huff & Ramey was started in the fall of that year. Mr. Ramey, the surviving partner of the firm, sold the business to R. W. Donnell in 1855. Donnell was followed by Pipkin &, Goss, and prior to the war the firm became Nichols & Goss, but on the breaking out of the war here the business was closed out. In February, 1865, business was again resumed by the firm of Snyder & Bass; Snyder dying not long afterward, his interest was purchased by George Murrell. In 1879 the firm became Murrell & Long.
The following are the names of other business men who have done business in Fair Grove since 1853: H. J. Ramey, R. L. Ramey & Co., Bissett & Dyer, Dyer & Bro., A. H. Leslie, and Cavin & Son, dealers in general merchandise. Wm. Crawford, Dr. Ellis, Dr, Brooks, and Miller & Kernaghan have been the druggists. The physicians have been Drs. C. D. and R. S. Wallace, who came from Tennessee in 1856. The former is now in Marshfield; the latter "went South" during the war, and remained there. Dr. Caldwell came in 1860, and Dr. D. A. Webster came in 1856, and both are still here. Dr. Ellis and Dr. Brooks are the other physicians.
The present school house in Fair Grove, a frame, 30 by 40 in size, was built in 1868, at a cost of $1,000. Pre-eminent among the teachers of this school in the past are mentioned Dr. Ellis and J. A. Long. Last year the number of scholars enrolled was ninety; average attendance, forty. The present teacher is Prof. M. Highfield.
The first preacher in Fair Grove was Rev. R. M. Baker, a Methodist, who, after remaining here a few years, went to Texas. Revs. J. B. Ellis, of the M. E. Church South, and Revs. Anderson Smith and _____ Bills, Baptists, have also resided here. There is no resident minister here now, but services are held regularly.
There are now in Fair Grove two good stores, one drug store, two blacksmith shops, a flourishing Masonic lodge, two churches (Baptist and Cumberland Presbyterian), and a number of neat dwellings. 
A RECENT TRAGEDY.
April 24, 1881, a tragedy occurred in Fair Grove which is still vividly remembered, and yet the subject of comment. The unfortunate affair resulted in the killing of B. F. Ezell by J. L. Smith. Both were prominent citizens and resident farmers of the vicinity, and up to immediately previous to the tragedy, had always been friendly. On the morning of that day there was a quarrel between them over a trivial matter. Smith had engaged one Goodwin to work for him, but, later, Goodwin agreed to work for Ezell, and Smith accused Ezell of coaxing away his help. This quarrel was on Ezell's land, but as neither was armed, nothing serious resulted at the time.
In the afternoon Ezell went to Fair Grove, where he was met by Smith, who in the meantime, bad armed himself. The altercation was renewed, and Smith shot Ezell down. The latter died in three days. Smith was not apprehended for a month afterward, and is now out on bail. Ben Ezell was a son of Wm. Ezell, one of the first settlers of Jackson township.
ODD FELLOWS' LODGE.
Fair Grove Lodge No. 387, I O. O. F. was instituted by E. R. Shipley, P. G. M. The dispensation was issued May 22, 1879; and the charter was received the same year. The charter members were J. B. Ramsey, W. W. Haymes, J. H. Minor, John Kernaghan, and B. F. Ramsey. The following are the names of the first officers: J. B. Ramsey, W. G.; John Kernaghan, V. G.; W. W. Haymes, secretary; B. F. Ramsey, treasurer. The present officers are: J. B. Ramsey, W. G.; W. R. Morris, V. G.; J. W. D. Morris, secretary; J. W. Hine, treasurer. The present membership is 19.
The village of Strafford is located on the St. Louis & San Francisco railroad, in the northeastern part of the county, and is surrounded by a good country, although perhaps not quite so fertile as in some other parts. There are a number of good farms, however, in the vicinity, and a very respectable business is done. It is a freight station on the railroad, and is a convenience to quite a large section of country. A considerable amount of wheat and other produce is shipped. The population is small, but it contains some energetic business men, and, along with the country in which it is situated, will grow and prosper. 
The town was laid out in the spring of 1871. The A. & P. railroad was built through the previous year, and the town was established and laid out in consideration of the donation of thirty-three acres of land, more or less, for a town site by Mrs. Sarah Lane, now Mrs. John McCabe.
The first store was kept by John Dunn, in 1870, and he was also the first postmaster. In 1873 John McCabe was appointed postmaster, and held the office until he was succeeded by Homer Kelly. The town was named for Strafford, Connecticut. Soon after Dunn's store was established, Jacob Teverbaugh, a colored man, opened a blacksmith shop, the first in the place.
The first railway agent was Dr. Gibson; the first operator was T. B. Farris. Esquire Bodenhamer was the first magistrate. The first physician was Dr. McKaskell, of Mississippi. The first preacher was Rev. Solomon Foster, a Baptist. Miss Jennie Dunn taught the first school.
Nora Love was the first female child born, and Charles McCollough the first male. The first death was that of Mrs. McCollough, a native of Virginia, and the mother of George McCollough. The first marriage was that of John McCabe and Mrs. Sarah Lane, by Esq. Winn.
The building known as the Strafford public hall was begun in 1873 and completed the following year, at a cost of about $900. It was built by contributions from various sources, as follows: School district No. 5-29-20, $230.15; Strafford Grange, No. 1717, $30; Baptist church, $21.75; Masonic lodge, $47.25; other sources, the remainder, about $500. The site was deeded by the railroad company to John McCabe, Geo. A. Dillard, and T. C. Piper, as trustees of the town of Strafford, and their successors in office, for school, religious and Masonic purposes. The building is used as a school house, a church, a Grange hall, a lodge room, and for public meetings.
In 1877, Strafford was visited by a severe fire, which injured the town very materially. The stores of Ramsey & Vinton, Wm. McKerrall, and Wm. O'Donnell were burned. It soon recovered from this disaster, however, and is now doing a good business. Strafford is a considerable shipping point. Geo. McCollough bought and shipped the first grain from here, but other firms are now engaged in the business. Perhaps Leslie & Smith are the principal buyers and shippers of live stock. 
THE STRAFFORD BAPTIST CHURCH.
This church was organized April 9, 1876, and is located on section 3, township 29, range 20. The original members were Geo. Creson, Rufus Ford, Wm. Lamb, P. D. Stanfield, J. J. McMurtry, W. W. Stanfield, W. H. B. Stanfield, J. West, H. Love, John Lamb, M. J. Lamb, Susie Creson, M. J. McMurtry, Hannah West, E. Love, E. Creson, G. A. Stanfield, A. E. Brown, and J. A. Ford. The present church building is a frame, and is not finished; it will cost about $600 when completed. Meetings have been held in it for some time, and it will soon be permanently occupied. The ministers have been Eld. Solomon Forester, J. P. Aiken and Eld. D. C. Barb, the latter the present pastor. Present membership, 94.
Strafford Lodge No. 497, A. F. and A. M., was instituted by Dr. Tefft, D. D. G. M. The dispensation was issued January 1, 1877, and the charter one year later. The charter members were James Melton, L. A. Powell, Samuel Dishman, H. A. McGinty, Pleasant Sallee, Samuel Vinton, Wm. McKerall, W. L. Johnson, J. H. Gibson, A. J. Greer, M. D . Potter and C. B. Kitchel. The latter gentleman is probably the oldest Mason in Southwest Missouri. He has been a member since the year 1828. The names of the first officers were J. A. Melton, W. M.; H. A. McGinty, S. W.; S. Dishman, J. W.; B. Potter, treasurer; Samuel Vinton, secretary; W. L. Johnson, tyler. The present officers are B. W. Dillard, W. M.; Samuel Dishman, S. W.; J. L. Dillard, J. W.; R. Love, treasurer; H. A. McGinty, secretary; B. Potter, tyler; J. M. Gault, S. D.; R. Thomas, J. D.; W. T. Hawkins and Homer Kelly, stewards. The hall of this lodge was built in 1876, at a cost of $600 or $700. It is a two-story frame, the lower room being used for school and church purposes. The lodge is in a flourishing condition, and entirely free from debt. Its meetings are held on or after the first full moon in each mouth. The present membership is 28.
BROTHERS OF FREEDOM LODGE.
The Strafford Lodge No. 81, was instituted by G. W. Plumer, the dispensation being dated May 13, 1882, and the charter bearing a later date. The charter members were John Sallee, J. F. Macloskey, William and D. R. Macloskey, R. M. Winn, Frank Smith, T. V. Massey, C. L. Leslie, Wm. Ray, John McCabe, Harrison Love, J. Danforth, and John White. The first officers were C. L. Leslie, president; R. M. Winn, vice president; J. F. Macloskey, secretary; John McCabe, treasurer; Frank Smith, warden; J. Danforth, sentinel; Harrison Love, chaplain. The present officers are W. H. Stanfield, president; John White, vice president; J. F. Macloskey, secretary; R. M. Winn, treasurer, John Sallee, warden; Wm. Bay, sentinel; Harrison Love, chaplain. This lodge has no hall of its own, but meets in the public hall every first and third Saturday night in every month. The present membership is 50. 
J. M. DISHMAN. This gentleman is the son of Jeremiah and Cynthia A. (Smith) Dishman, and was born in Simpson county, Ky., February 6, 1830. He is the oldest of a family of five children, all of whom, except one, are now living. J. M. Dishman made two trips from Kentucky to Greene county, Mo., upon horseback, one in 1853 and one in 1855. He was educated in the common schools of his native county. When he came to Missouri the second time, all of his father's family came also, and settled on the head of Dry Sac river, in Jackson township. He lived there until his father's death, April 27, 1876, at the age of seventy-two years. Mr. Dishman was married August 16, 1859, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Samuel Piper, a prominent farmer, and early settler of Greene county. Their union has been blest with eight children, seven sons and one daughter, all of whom are now living, viz.: Jane, Wm. F., Samuel, James W., Jerry, Charles, Bert, and Leonidas. Samuel is at present section boss on the Frisco railroad at Strafford. Mr. Dishman has always followed farming. He purchased the farm of one hundred and sixty acres of land upon which he now lives, in February, 1875, and removed there soon after, and has since made many valuable improvements. He is one of the substantial farmers of his section, and stands well in the regard of all.
SAMUEL DISHMAN. This gentleman was born in Simpson county, Kentucky, July 29, 1835. He is the third of a family of five children, four boys and one girl. His father was Jeremiah Dishman, a native of Virginia, who was brought by his parents to Kentucky when he was a child. He grew to manhood and followed farming in that State until 1855, when he moved to Greene county, Missouri. They stopped some time in Springfield, and finally settled in Jackson township. He was married in l829 to Miss Cynthina A. Smith of Simpson county, Kentucky. She is still living with her son, Samuel. Jeremiah Dishman died April 24, 1876, aged seventy-two years. Samuel was engaged in farming with his father until 1860, when he embarked in the milling business, which he followed for fourteen years. He then settled on a farm which he had bought in sections 21 and 22, township 30, range 20. He has since followed the independent life of a farmer. He was married August 5, 1865, to Miss Mary J., daughter of B. L. Banfield, a prominent farmer of Greene county, formerly of Tennessee. Their union has been blest with six children, five of whom are still living. Mr. Dishman is a member of Strafford Lodge, A. F. and A. M. He is one of the substantial citizens of the county, and enjoys the confidence of all. 
JOHN M. DONNELL (DECEASED). This gentleman was born in 1802, and died in 1860, upon the farm he settled in 1882 in Jackson township. He and Robert Small came together from Middle Tennessee, and were among the first settlers in that township. He was a very large farmer and stock dealer, and for many years took large droves of mules annually to the Southern markets. He was married in Tennessee to a Miss Maxwell, by whom he had thirteen children, seven sons and six daughters. Six sons and two daughters are yet living. Mr. and Mrs. Donnell brought the first stove to this county.
H. M. FOSTER. This gentleman is the son of Elias W. and Sarah J. Faster, and was born in Tioga county, New York, January 10, 1831. His father was at first engaged in the lumber trade, but for the past twenty-five years has been farming and is yet hale and stout at the age of seventy-eight. His mother died in July, 1882, at the age of seventy-seven. Mr. Foster belongs to a long-lived family, his father, brothers and sisters all yet living, and his father's mother lived to be one hundred and four years of age. H. M. Foster was brought to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, when he was seven years of age, where he lived until 1860, and then moved to the central part of Michigan where he remained seventeen years, and in April, 1877, came to Missouri, and settled in Jackson township, Greene county. Before coming to this State, Mr. Foster was engaged in the lumber business, but here he has followed the occupation of farming. He improved a farm of eighty acres south of Strafford, which he sold in 1881, and then bought the place upon which he now lives. Mr. Foster was married January 1, 1855, to Miss Eunice, daughter of Thomas L. Moore, of Tioga county, New York. They had three children by this marriage, all of whom are dead. Mrs. Foster died June 18, 1865, and he was married the second time to Miss Alice Davis, daughter of Thomas Davis, of this county, formerly of Tennessee. Their union has been blest with three children, two girls and a boy.
WILLIAM LAMB. This gentleman is the son of John and Sarah A. (Thomas) Lamb, and was born in Maury county, Tennessee, in 1889. His parents emigrated to Greene county, Missouri in 1852, and settled five miles north of Springfield, where they lived several years, and moved to Jackson township, where they now reside. William was educated in the county schools, and has made farming his occupation. He purchased the farm upon which he now lives in 1865, containing two hundred and twenty acres. He was married March 15, 1860, to Miss Martha Jane, daughter of Thomas and Margaret Forester of this county. Their union has been blest with four children, three of whom are still living, all boys. Mr. Lamb went to California in the spring of 1870, where he spent eighteen months in the mines of Nevada county. He returned home in 1872, and in the spring of 1879 he went to Colorado, and has spent every summer there since, working his mines, and returning to Missouri to spend the winters with his family upon the farm.
CLAY L. LESLIE. Mr. Leslie is the son of A. H. and Sarah L. (Bailey) Leslie, and was born in Roane county, Tennessee, August 1, 1843. His father was born in Kentucky in 1816, and came from Tennessee to Greene county, Missouri, in the spring of 1847. He was engaged in farming, stock raising and merchandizing in this county until 1866. He then removed to Marshfield and sold goods there for ten years, and then came back to Greene and settled at Fair Grove, where he is now engaged in the same business. Clay's mother was a daughter of William Bailey, of Hawkins county, Tennessee. Her mother is still living, having reached the advanced age of nearly one hundred. Clay came with his parents to this county in 1847, and has since made it his home, with the exception of selling goods with his father at Marshfield from 1867 to 1875. He is engaged in farming and stock trading, buying and shipping large numbers from Strafford. During the war Mr. Leslie was in the Missouri State militia, company E, 72nd regiment, for eighteen months. He was at the battle of Springfield, when Gen. Marmaduke attacked the place, January 8th, 1863. He was honorably discharged the following summer. He was married in April, 1864, to Eliza J., daughter of J. G. Wharton, formerly of Saline, now Lawrence, county, Missouri. They were blest with seven children, all sons, five of whom are now living. Mr. Leslie is a member of A. F. and A. M., I. O. O. F., Knights of Pythias, Grange and Brothers of Freedom, but is too far from the lodges to attend regularly. 
JOSEPH F. MACLOSKEY was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 24, 1869. His parents moved to Champaign, Illinois, in 1870, where Joseph was educated in the high school of that place. He then engaged in farming until 1876, when he carried on the bakery business. In November, 1876, he removed to Sullivan, Franklin county, Mo., where he was engaged in the iron business until 1878. On the 8th of November of that year, he came to Greene county, and with his father, carried on farming. In August, 1882, he formed a partnership with his brother, B. R. Macloskey, in the provision business in Strafford, where he is now engaged. It is just such young men as he that is the life blood of a country, and who will push themselves to the front in every laudable enterprise. His name will soon appear among the leading business men of the county.
JOHN McCABE. Mr. McCabe was born in Lycomic county, Pennsylvania, Jan. 10, 1834, and is the son of John and Rosa McCabe. He went to Philadelphia in 1843, and was educated in the parochial schools of that city. He served an apprenticeship at engineering at Jamacia, Long Island, and on the P. W. & B. railroad. He was employed for some time upon Eastern roads in construction of tracks. Upon the breaking out of the late war he enlisted in a volunteer company of independent rangers on the 22nd of April, 1861. He served three months upon the body guard of General Patterson, and was in the battle of Falling Waters. He then enlisted in company C, 23rd Penn. regiment, as corporal, and participated in the battles of Yorktown, Williamsburgh, Fair Oaks, and the seven days fighting in front of Richmond, where he was slightly wounded. He was in all the great battles while Grant was commander-in-chief, and was captured at Cold Harbor, and kept prisoner for four months, when he was released. He then joined company G, 7th regiment, Hancock's corps. Mr. McCabe received medals for gallant conduct at the battle of Malvern Hill and the storming of Maries' Heights. In 1866 he came to St. Louis and engaged in the construction of street railroad tracks for some time, and then on the construction of the Atlantic & Pacific railroad as far as Strafford. He was married Nov. 2, 1866, to Mrs. Sarah Lane, widow of Lieut. Wm. Lane, who was wounded at the battle of Springfield, and died ten days afterward. Mrs. Lane was the daughter of Joseph and Tabitha Rudd. She gave thirty-one acres to the railroad for the town site of Strafford. She now owns two hundred and sixty-five acres in Jackson township. Mr. McCabe owns twelve acres in section 2, township 29, range 20.
W. D. PARKER. This gentleman was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, county of Middlesex, November 21, 1849. He is a son of Robt. J. Parker, of Toronto, Canada West, who was a successful surveyor for many years in Canada and Michigan. He died in 1865. W. D. Parker was educated in the best public schools of his native province, and was employed as a clerk in a store in Strathroy, Ontario, for four years. He then took a course of telegraphy, at the telegraphic school at that place, which he completed in August, 1870. Since then he has been engaged in operating for the Dominion Telegraphic Company, and for Frisco Railway Company, now being under the employ of the latter. Mr. Parker was married in 1878 to Miss Frances A. Steer, daughter of Stephen and Sarah Steer, of Middlesex, Ont. They have one child, Ferdinand Bruce. 
J. G. PETTITT, M. D. Dr. Pettitt is the son of Dr. B. M. Pettitt, and was born at Auburn N. Y., June 10, 1846. His father was a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and after wards studied homeopathy, and was one of the first and oldest homeopaths in the United States. He is still living. J. G. Pettitt was educated at Monroe Collegiate Institute, near Syracuse, N. Y. He followed the avocation of civil engineering for seven years, on the A. and P. R. R., now the Frisco. He studied medicine with his father, and took two courses of lectures at Bush Medical college, Chicago, leaving the senior class to enter the army. He was in the 6th New York cavalry, Col. Harris. He practiced medicine two years in New Mexico, and came to Strafford late in the summer of 1879, where he has since practiced his profession at Strafford and Cedar Gap as surgeon of the railroad. Dr. Pettitt was married June 25, 1871, to Miss Anna M., daughter of Col. R. M. and Mary M. Jones, of this county, formerly of Giles county, Tennessee. Their union has been blest with three children, two girls and a boy.
L. T. PIPER. Mr. Piper was born in Washington county, Virginia, August 80, 1837. He is the oldest of a family of eight children, three boys and five girls, five of whom were born in Virginia, and three in Missouri. He was brought to Missouri by his parents, who settled near the head waters of the Dry Sac river. Here Mr. Piper grew to manhood, receiving such education as the schools of that day afforded. He has always enjoyed the best of health, and never had but one accident happen him in his life. When he was about fourteen years of age a wagon ran over his leg breaking the bone. He was taken home, and his leg set by his father, without the aid of a physician. He was not able to resume active work for about three months. He was at the beginning of the war, in Capt Piper's company, afterwards commanded by Capt. John A. Mack. After the battle of Wilson's Creek, he went to Rolla and joined Capt C. B. Holland's company. In 1862 be joined Capt Geo. A. Dillard's company E, 72nd regiment, under Col. Holland, who was promoted, and the regiment was then commanded by Col. Henry Shepard. They were in the battle of Springfield, upon the 8th of January, 1863, when the town was attacked by Gen. Marmaduke. Mr. Piper served until the close of the war, participating in all the actions of his regiment. After being honorably discharged he returned to his old homestead, where be still resides. He was married January 1, 1866, to Miss O. M. Pipkin, of this county. They have had five children, three of whom are still living. He is one of the best citizens of the county
SAMUEL PIPER (DECEASED). Mr. Piper was born October 11, 1802, in Washington county, Virginia, where be grew to manhood and received his education. He was married to Miss Sarah Smith, of his native county. She was of German descent; her ancestors were early settlers of Virginia. They had eight children, seven of whom are still living. Mr. Piper emigrated to Greens county, Missouri, in the fall of 1839, and upon the first of January, 1840, settled on section 6, township 29, range 20. His children were George S., Mary E., Theophilus C., Sarah A. (deceased), L. T., Harriet, Nancy A. and Margaret C. Mr. Piper endured all the hardships incident to a pioneer's life. He frequently made trips to St. Louis by wagon for goods, supplies, etc. During the civil war his sympathies were strongly with the Union, though too old to take active part. In 1874 he was stricken with paralysis, and after three weeks died at the advanced age of seventy-two. He was one of the old landmarks of the county and a man who enjoyed the confidence of all. 
GEORGE S. PIPER. Mr. Piper was born in Washington county, Virginia, July 16, 1828, and is the oldest child of Samuel Piper, a prominent farmer of that county. George S. was brought to Greene county, Missouri, by his parents when he was twelve years of age. He grew to manhood upon the farm, and has since made that his vocation in life. Mr. Piper married March 4, 1856, to Miss Margaret J., daughter of Henry C. Morrison, of this county who came to Ebenezer, Greene county, Missouri, about 1830. Their marriage has been blest with twelve children, eight sons and four daughters, seven of whom are yet living, six sons and one daughter. Mr. Piper has one hundred and ninety acres of land in the farm upon which he lives. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the enrolled Missouri militia, in Captain George A. Dillard's company E, Col. C. B. Holland. Being absent on a sick furlough he was not at Springfield when the town was attacked by General Marmaduke upon the 8th of January, 1863. When the war closed Mr. Piper was honorably discharged, and is now one of the most substantial citizens of the county.
ALEXANDER SNYDER. This gentleman was born March 26, 1826, in Davidson county, North Carolina, where he remained at home with his father until he was twenty-four years of age. He emigrated to Greene county, Missouri, in 1845, when the county was sparsely settled, neighbors were far apart, game and wild honey abounded. He built a small cabin upon the farm where he now lives, and on the 6th of August, 1847, he was married to Miss Ruth Wommack. Their union has been blest with ten children, seven of whom are now living, Sarah E., George W. Mary J., Philip C., Ben. F., Laura E. and Cora E. Mr. Snyder was a member of the enrolled Missouri militia during the war. His wife died June 18, 1882. He has been a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church for about thirty-five years, and is one of the leading men of Jackson township.
W. H. VAUGHN. Mr. Vaughn was born in 1824, in Halifax county Virginia. When he was about twenty-two years of age he went to Tennessee, and from there be came to Greene county, Missouri, where he was married upon the 16th of January, 1857, to Miss Amanda, daughter of Thos. L. and Martha (Strickland) Aken. Her parents emigrated to this county from Bedford county, Tennessee, in 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn have five children, James W., George W.,Martha L., Joseph J., and Adolphus L. During the war Mr. Vaughn was a Union man, and was a member of Capt. Bradley's company. He has been a member of the Baptist church for more than thirty years, and is one of the substantial men in the county.
WILLIAM J. WILLIAMS, M. D. Dr. Williams is the son of William and Mary (Hicks) Williams, and was born in Roane county, Tennessee, May 11, 1849. William was brought by his parents to Missouri, when he was about one year old. They settled in Webster county, where he grew to manhood and received his elementary education. When he was about twenty-one years of age he began reading medicine under the preceptorship of his brother, Dr. J. H. Williams, who is the present representative of Webster county in the Legislature. William began the practice while a student, in 1875, and in 1876-7-8 attended lectures at Missouri Medical College, St Louis, graduating in March 1878, with degree of M. D. He then resumed practice in Webster county, but in June, 1881, he moved to Strafford, Greene county, where he began the practice, and also engaged in the drug and grocery business. In the spring of 1882 B. W. Dillard bought one-half interest in the store, and so continued till 1883. Dr. Williams was married October 31, 1879, to Miss Mary, daughter of John Barnard, of Webster county. Their union has been blest with one child, Oran, born August 21, 1880. The doctor is a member of Strafford Lodge, No. 497, A. F. and A. M. He has built up a good practice since coming to Strafford, and enjoys the confidence of all. 
Next Chapter | Table of Contents | Keyword Search
History of Greene County Home | Local History Home