Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens
Church Denominational History
by Rev. Fayette Hurd
Churches in Springfield
The preface to a book is commonly the last part written. So is the preface to the chapter that follows. Its preparation has been made possible through the co-operation of many persons to whom thanks are due, though it is hardly possible to name them here. In very few cases have requests for information failed to secure a kind and helpful response. Let those who have rendered this assistance be assured that it is gratefully appreciated, since a work with many shortcomings would but for their help, have had many more.
It has been the purpose to make the arrangement of denominational names and of individual churches as near as possible in chronological order.
Prepared at no small cost of time and labor, this chapter has been to the writer in no small degree a labor of love, impressing him, as he hopes it may the readers, with a sense of the vigorous life that inheres in the Church of Christ, of the wide range of possible service to the spiritual, intellectual, physical, social and political life of humanity, and how vastly, vastly the range of that service might be multiplied if, instead of the spirit of sectarian strife and opposition; the many believers of many names, might under one or many names, be actuated by that unselfish spirit of mutual helpfulness and cooperation for the service of God and men that was contemplated by our Savior when he prayed "that they all may be one."
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH SOUTH.
Saint Paul.—As is often the case elsewhere in the newer portions of our country, the history of churches in Greene county and Springfield begins with the travels and activities of "the man on horseback." A truly militant character he, carrying on in the name of his exalted Master an aggressive warfare on the hosts of sin and Satan. Not indeed so spectacular as the bedizened leader in carnal warfare, aiming rather to save men than to destroy them, he has brought to his task as heroic bravery and self-sacrifice as any leader of destroying hosts, achieving results widely beneficent and far-reaching in time and eternity. All honor to the humble, faithful soldier of the Cross, pioneer knight errant of salvation, armed with Bible and hymn book, the Methodist itinerant! No proud conqueror with mailed hand has done a tithe of what he has done in shaping the destinies of the great Southwest of our republic. 
A tradition, well authenticated and many times repeated, tells of the coming to the infant settlement at Springfield of Rev. James H. Slavens, who preached October 10, 1831, the first gospel sermon ever delivered here, three weeks later organizing, in the house of William Fulbright, near the site of the present Gulf shops, a class composed of Ruth Fulbright, Isaac Woods and wife, Jane Woods, Bennett and Elvira Robberson, S. S. and Sarah Macky. Polly Alsup was the first one who united on confession of faith. A year later forty-seven members were reported.
At a conference of the Methodist Episcopal church held in McKendree chapel, Cape Girardeau county, September 15, 1831, was assigned to James H. Slavens a region described as "Springfield and White River, St.. Francis and Saline," a circuit extending over a strip of country one hundred miles north and south and two hundred miles east and west. At this time the little village of Springfield was an important point, its first settlers having come here in the spring of the previous year. On his way to Springfield, Slavens fell in with the family of Joseph Rountree and was welcomed by them as a sharer of their noonday meal. They liked him, one of them so well that in the following June Rev. Justinian Williams rode from Boonville to Springfield to unite her with Slavens in marriage.
The first church edifice erected in Springfield was a modest building eighteen by twenty feet in size, located on land owned by the United States government, near the Richardson or Fairbanks Spring. It was floored and seated with puncheon logs, the entire cost being eighteen dollars. It was also used as a school house. In this primitive structure was entertained the first quarterly conference of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1933, whereof Slavens, who soon after became a practicing physician, was secretary. In 1842 the church had grown to proportions which seemed to require a larger, better and more centrally located building, which was erected nearly opposite the present site of Grace church. Its dimensions were thirty by forty feet, and with glass windows and plastered walls it was an object of much pride and admiration, and was considered the finest church edifice in southwest Missouri. When no longer used as a house of worship it was moved a little to the southwest, where it stands yet in a very good state of preservation, being in a humble way still habitable. Possibly it is not yet too late to act on the suggestion that this relic of early Methodism, now nearly seventy-five years old shall be presented as a historic landmark and a fitting center for objects of like historic interest. Let imagination dwell on the eloquent, tender and pleading words to which those walls have echoed, and to the "contrite sinner's voice, returning from his ways" in response to the proclamation of words of eternal life. 
In 1844 came the division of the Methodist Episcopal church into two branches. Bishop Soule presided over the Missouri Conference that year, and all but a small minority of the ministry followed him into the southern branch.
In 1848, Springfield, then grown to be a place of considerable size, was made a station of the church and undertook the support of a minister. In 1849 eighty members were reported, eighty-seven the next year, after which time statistics are lacking till 1860, when two hundred and seven members were reported.
In 1858, Springfield then having some one thousand two hundred inhabitants, prominent members of the church began to lay plans for the erection of a more commodious house of worship than that in which they had gathered for sixteen years, on a site a little north of that thus far occupied. The structure was to be of brick, at an estimated cost of twenty-five thousand dollars. Measured by their ability, it was a heroic undertaking and the work progressed so slowly that in the spring of 1861 only the basement had been finished and occupied for worship. Events in that and subsequent years delayed still further the realization of their plans.
On August 11, 1861, the day after the battle of Wilson's Creek, the Federal authorities took possession of the building as a hospital, using it thereafter for a variety of military purposes until 1864. For this use and interest the sixty-third Congress, before its adjournment, March 4, 1915, voted a payment of three thousand one hundred and fifty dollars. When General Marmaduke attacked the city, January 8, 1863, some cannon balls fired by his command struck the walls, leaving marks visible as long as the house remained standing.
INFLUENCE OF THE WAR.
During the progress of the Civil war the church became disorganized to such an extent that many thought it dead, past resurrection. A church of Northern affinities was naturally more agreeable to the Federal authorities in control of the city and one of that order was organized in 1864, and the church property was conveyed to that organization by deed from "parties signing themselves as surviving trustees of the Methodist Episcopal church, South." The uncompleted house was occupied by the new organization, and the register of members was taken by that body and lost past recovery. 
At the meeting of St. Louis Conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, South held at Jefferson City in 1868, Rev. W. M. Prottsman was appointed in charge of the Springfield station, with instructions to revive the supposably defunct organization. It was found that a number of the former members had died, others had removed from the city, others still had united with the later Methodist body or some other church in the city A few had remained faithful to the Southern church, among whom were John L. Holland, strong Unionist yet living at an extreme age, Samuel Jopes, and James M. Wilhoit, lately deceased. The work of resuscitation was by no means easy, but the man was equal to his task. The church property was bought back for a little over two thousand dollars and another two thousand dollars was raised to repair and fit it for occupancy. On February 7, 1869, a new society of twenty-seven members was formed, repairs were begun and the building was dedicated on the first Sunday of May following. The next year a parsonage was placed on the west end of the church building. During Mr. Prottsman's two years of ministry more than one hundred names were added to the church roll.
Then followed years of steady growth and prosperity. Needed repairs were made on church and parsonages the congregations increasing to such an extent that at the beginning of the present century lots were purchased at the northeast corner of Walnut and Jefferson streets at a cost of seven thousand five hundred dollars and preparations were made for the erection thereon of a fourth house of worship. The cornerstone of the new house was laid in June, 1903, by Bishop Hendrix, who on June 29, 1904 conducted the dedication services. A house on the lot was used for a parsonage, but was later replaced by a brick edifice, costing seven thousand five hundred dollars.
Among the early members of the church may be mentioned the names of Majors D. D. Berry and R. J. McElhaney, "Uncle Jimmy" Danforth, Judge John G. Waddell, R. B. Faulkner and Warren S. Graves. Later we find mention of L. H. and T. J. Murray, J. M. Doling, Joseph Jarrett, Bert S. Lee, superintendent W. W. Thomas, J. B. Jewell and George M. Jones, on whose historical sketch, together with personal statements freely made, this account is almost entirely dependent.
Among early pastors of this church may be named McMahan, Joplin, Ashby, Robberson, Winton, McCord Roberts, A. H. Mathis, D. Ross, J. Dines, A. H. Powell and D. M. Proctor. After Prottsman came among others G. W. Horne, Warren Wharton, Thomas M. Cobb, C. H. Briggs, who had a second pastorate in the new church building. In 1884 came W. B. Palmore, lately deceased, who left at the end of a two years' pastorate on the first of his many round-the-world tours. While abroad he purchased the site of the present Campbell street church. In his pastorate the name St. Paul was given to the church. Later came Dr. C. C. Woods, called from his pastorate here to assist Doctor Palmore in the editorship of the St. Louis Christian Advocate, succeeding to full control on the death of the latter. Then came John S. Jenkins, W. T. McClure in whose pastorate the new house was erected; J. E. McDonald and W. A. McClanahan, the present pastor. 
The last minutes report the present membership of St. Paul as six hundred and ten, with ninety-eight members in the Senior and Junior Epworth League; four hundred and twenty-five members in the Sunday school, including thirty-two officers and teachers, with one hundred and ninety-six members of Women's societies. The estimated value of church property is sixty-seven thousand five hundred dollars.
Campbell Street.—As already stated, Rev. W. B. Palmore negotiated while in China the purchase of a lot in North Springfield at the southwest corner of Campbell and Division streets, with a view to its use by a church to be formed in that newer, and rapidly growing region. In the same year, 1886, a class of twelve persons was organized by Rev. W. W. Jared. At first the little company worshiped in Grand Army hall on Commercial street, remaining there until a new home was ready for occupancy. In October, 1887, ground was broken for the new edifice with appropriate exercises conducted by Bishop E. R. Hendrix, and six months later Bishop John C. Granberry conducted the dedication services. A parsonage was afterwards erected on the same lot directly south of the church building.
Among the original members may be named W. A. Reed, J. W. Long, J. H. McClure and wives. Among pastors following Mr. Jared were W. H. Winton, T. M. Cobb, W. P. Buckner, J. C. Givens, who died soon after closing his second year's pastorate, and J. L. Sullens, killed in a tragical accident early in the second year of his pastorate. He was succeeded by a son, W. E. Sullens, after whom came C. Ruyle, M. M. Hawkins and W. G. Beasley, the present pastor.
Nothing striking or spectacular has marked the life of this church for a little more than a quarter of a century. Intimations are beginning to be heard that this Zion is complaining that, "The place is too strait for me," and that a larger home may be demanded in the not distant future.
The membership reported in the last minutes was four hundred and sixty-four with one hundred and twenty-four members in Senior and Junior Epworth Leagues. The Sunday school has twenty-two officers and teachers and two hundred pupils. There are flourishing Women's Missionary Societies, home and foreign. The church building is valued at seven thousand five hundred dollars; the parsonage at two thousand dollars. 
Dale Street.—Not very long after the organization of the Campbell street church steps were taken for the formation of another class in the northeast part of the city, north of the Frisco tracks. The organization was effected under the leadership of Rev. Lafayette McClure, and embraced several of the members of the Campbell street church, who for greater convenience or some other reasons were led to enter the new body. While a number of the original members yet survive it has been found difficult, or even impossible to ascertain the exact date, or even the year of organization. It is recorded that in 1889 a deed was secured to a lot at the southeast corner of Dale and Ramsey streets and a house of worship was erected thereon. It was a wooden structure, to which an addition was made later off the east side. A frame parsonage was erected on a lot immediately south of the church building, to which a considerable addition has been made recently.
In the last conference minutes this church reports four hundred and sixty-four members, with two hundred in Sunday school, besides twenty-two officers and teachers and in two Epworth leagues one hundred and twenty-four members, and a Women's Society of eighty-five members. The house of worship is valued at seven thousand five hundred dollars and the parsonage at two thousand dollars, in each case including grounds. The present pastor is Rev. Lawrence Orr. Some of the previous pastors were J. R. Hargis, C. B. Day, W. G. Pike, R. L. Pyle, J. I. Swannson, J. B. Ellis, J. G. Haynes.
St. Luke.—The erection of the new Frisco shops to the northwest of the city, and the consequent removal to that section of a considerable number of families of workmen there demanded the formation of new church, organizations in that vicinity. Hence in 1909 a class of the Methodist Episcopal church, South was organized by Rev. Creed B. Day, with twelve members. The same year a lot was purchased at the corner of Nettleton and Atlantic streets and the basement of a house of worship was built and occupied in February, 1910. On this foundation was erected a brick veneered house of worship which was dedicated in 1913. Rev. C. L. Boehm was pastor in 1910-1911, and was succeeded by Rev. W. G. Pike, who served the church for two years, being pastor when the house was dedicated. He was succeeded by Rev. J. R. Hargis, the present pastor, who serves this church, every two weeks, alternating with the church at Ozark.
The present membership is reported at eighty, with a Sunday school having an average attendance of seventy and a flourishing Epworth League of twenty-six members. There is also a Ladies' Aid Society and a Woman's Home Missionary Society. The estimated value of the church building is four thousand dollars. No parsonage has yet been erected. 
First.—Organized some thirty years ago, this church has a frame building as its house of worship, located at the corner of Guy and Phillips streets, valued at one thousand five hundred dollars, and reports a membership of seventy-five, with a Sunday school having an enrollment of fifty-one and ten officers, with an average attendance of fifty. On the cradle roll seventeen are reported. The Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor reports twenty members. There is a weekly prayer meeting and divine service is held every Sunday.
Previous to last fall Rev. L. A. Smith ministered to this church, residing in Springfield. The present pastor, Rev. E. B. Stribling, resides on a rural route from Monett.
First Christian.—It is practically certain that the second church organization in Springfield was one of the Disciples of Christ, now more commonly designated as Christians. But unfortunately no historic documents are known to exist enabling us to state definitely and fully the facts connected with that organization. After careful inquiry no evidence has been found that enables one to state the year of organization. When Francis M. Shockley, now residing at the corner of Lynn and Spring streets, came here, as a boy in 1841 this church was in existence and worshiped in the old court house at the center of the Public Square.
On September 1, 1835, a United States land office was opened in Springfield, with Joel H. Hayden, a Disciple preacher, as register. To him by general consent is ascribed the founding of the First Christian church in Springfield. He is also credited with the formation of a number of churches of that faith and order in southwest Missouri. It is reasonable to conclude that the organization here antedates the others; hence we may presume that it was effected in 1835 or 1836.
How long this church of which Hayden was organizer and first pastor continued to worship in the old court house is not known; but some time before the Civil war a substantial frame structure was erected at the northwest corner of College and Main streets and was occupied for divine worship, for many years. Like other church buildings in Springfield, this house was taken by Federal authorities for use as a hospital. Recent efforts to secure remuneration for this use from the government have thus far proved unsuccessful. On the erection in 1873 of another house of worship the one before occupied was sold to Ely Paxson, undertaker, who occupied it as a dwelling house for several years. It is yet occupied as a dwelling, being apparently in a good state of preservation.
Joel Hayden was followed by Jesse M. Wilks, Lansford Wilks, U. S. Elgin and some others, but the precise order and dates cannot be determined. Early in the Civil war the pastor was Charles Carlton, an eloquent and popular preacher. Crowds flocked to listen to him, filling the house to overflowing, standing at the doors and even crowding the windows. At his home, a few doors to the west, he had a school, of which he or others seem to have had great expectations, since the tradition remains that from it the street gained its present name. Near this building stood the house to which the body of General Lyon was borne after his tragic death at Wilson's Creek. 
The plan of a college in Springfield waited more than a decade before it could be realized under quite other auspices. Carlton's sympathies were with the Confederate cause, and before the war had progressed very far he removed to Texas, where he is reported to have entered the Confederate service, it is thought as chaplain. His assistant, Graham succeeded him. The building now occupied by the First church bears the date 1889; but there is evidence that as early as 1873 it was occupied by a house of worship, then being a one story structure, so that probably in 1889 it was raised and the second story used, as at present, for religious services, while the lower floor was rented for business purposes.
As a result of serious differences of opinion concerning instrumental music in worship, a considerable number of members were dismissed in 1886 to form the South Street Christian church, others following at a later date. Since these members had contributed considerable sums toward the erection of the First church building, the question of adequate compensation to them naturally arose, but after mutual conferences an agreement was finally reached. Efforts made since to secure a place of worship other than that now occupied have not thus far been successful. Among pastors since the war may be named Kirk Baxter, W. E. Harlow, T. H. Capp, N. M. Ragland and the present pastor, F. W. Bowers, who was some years ago recalled to a second pastorate.
The value of the church property is estimated at thirty-five thousand dollars, the site being quite valuable for business purposes. The church reports two hundred members, the Sunday school two hundred and fifteen members with twenty-two officers, and an average attendance of one hundred. The society of Christian Endeavor reports twenty-five members. 
South Street.—This church was organized in 1886 by Rev. E. G. Laughlin, being composed chiefly of former members of the First Christian church, the chief occasion of their action being a difference of opinion concerning the use of instrumental music in worship. A lot was procured on the east side of South street, nearly opposite the First Baptist church. On this site a substantial brick structure was erected the following year in which this church worshiped for more than twenty years until the voice of the people began to be heard demanding more adequate accommodations.
It was believed that no better place could be found than that on which the church was standing, so this was taken down to make room for the new structure, service being held meanwhile in the commodious Modern Woodmen hall, at the corner of South and Walnut streets. The new house was completed and occupied in 1910 and is probably the finest and best appointed Protestant house of worship in Springfield, ranking with the new St. Paul edifice and with the Catholic St. Agnes church which was built at the same time at somewhat greater cost.
A large degree of prosperity has been enjoyed by South Street church in all departments of its work. It reports 825 members, with 620 officers and pupils in Sunday school. The Christian Endeavor society reports 52 seniors, 24 intermediates and 25 juniors, besides the Kurians, numbers not reported. The Christian Women's Board of Missions has 110 members. The church property is valued at fifty thousand dollars.
The organizer and first pastor of the church, Rev. E. G. Laughlin, was succeeded by John P. Myers and B. H. Harden. The last three pastors, J. P. Pinkerton, D. W. Moore and F. L. Moffett, have rendered in the aggregate upwards of twenty years of service, the last named for nearly nine years.
It need hardly be added that the prosperity of this church is by no means all due to the pastor, but is due fully as much, possibly more, to the hearty cooperation with the pastor of a body of earnest and faithful men and women, each doing in the place appointed to each the work to him or her assigned. But the pastor has been by no means a negligible factor. Mr. Moore is a man of poetic temperament, genial and lovable personality and fine literary taste, while Mr. Moffett is as was his predecessor, a man of Catholic sympathies with the work of the kingdom of God, and recognizes its relations to social and secular things, as well as to those considered distinctively religious, accepting quite fully the results of recent thought in theology and biblical criticism.
Central.—It is not very uncommon to find a house made ready in advance for an approaching marriage, but it is far less common to find a church building made ready for a church not yet organized. Yet this appears to have been the order with respect to the Washington Avenue, now Central Christian church. We learn from authority believed to be trustworthy that it was organized by Rev. O. A. Carr January 5, 1890, the brick house of worship having been built in 1889. However a Sunday school had been held for a time before the church was organized.
Another quite unusual experience may help to explain the one first mentioned. The building, located at the southwest corner of Washington avenue and Division street was built and furnished at a cost of eleven thousand dollars by Mrs. Matilda Weaver. The condition attached to the gift was that instrumental music should not be permitted in worship. This condition was faithfully observed for some years, but when, early in the present century, Rev. W. E. Harlow, before and since well known as an evangelist, was invited to the pastorate of the church a condition of his acceptance was that there should be instrumental music. After some attempts to secure another house of worship an agreement was finally reached by which a stipulated sum was paid for an unconditional deed. 
Recent pastors have been F. F. Walters, George S. Peters and B. T. Wharton, lately resigned. This church has been much prospered during recent years, reporting now a membership of 500, with an average attendance at Sunday school of 225. The Ladies' Aid Society renders efficient service in meeting the financial demands of the church and a Woman's Missionary Society of 50 members seeks to keep alive the interest of the church in missions at home and abroad.
Considerable improvements have been made in the house of worship within the past few years. Music is made a quite prominent feature in the worship of this church. The Sunday school uses the new graded lessons and holds a monthly teachers' meeting.
First Cumberland.—The first Presbyterian churches in Greene county were of the Cumberland type, antedating by several years any others of the same generic name, and by nearly a decade any Cumberland church in Springfield.
The body now calling itself the First Cumberland church was organized May 19, 1844, by Rev. Messrs. S. J. Carthel and T. M. Johnston, the latter continuing to serve the church as stated supply for some time afterwards. Little further is known of the history of this organization previous to the Civil war, at which time it became practically extinct, the mission having been abandoned in 1862.
The church had never been strong, and efforts to secure a house of worship had depended largely on aid from the Springfield Presbytery. At the session of that body, in the fall of 1861, hopes were expressed that if conditions proved favorable it might be possible "some time this year" to finish the structure already begun. But conditions during the year following, were the reverse of favorable, with the result above stated. The unfinished house was sold for debt, but the presbytery did not relax its efforts to redeem and complete it as a house of worship. In 1868 the mission was reorganized and in 1870, the problem recurring semi-annually for many years, was solved by large and generous personal subscriptions.
But like some other feeble infants, this church has enjoyed a vigorous adult life. Twice in its history, in 1874 and in 1902, it-has had the honor of entertaining the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and two of its pastors, James B. Logan, D. D., and M. B. DeWitt, D. D., have served as moderators of that body. 
The present pastor, John T. Bacon, D. D., began his work with the church on the first Sunday in June, 1899, having just completed his course of study in Lebanon Theological Seminary. During his nearly sixteen years of ministry here he has had a large share in the life of Springfield, both on religious lines and in the way of intellectual and social uplift. For several seasons he presided at chautauquas here, and later at Hollister. He has had an important part in the ecclesiastical life of the state, having been influential in bringing his own branch of the Presbyterian church into union with the "Northern" Presbyterians, and by his tact and personal popularity carrying with him a large majority of the church here and most of the churches throughout Greene county. "As warm-hearted and friendly as Mr. Bryan, whom he strikingly resembles," says Doctor Stringfield, * * * "with a commanding presence, a sonorous voice, a rich fund of homely illustrations and an intense zeal, Doctor Bacon is popular in the pulpit and on the platform, especially with young people." The fine and serviceable brick structure at the corner of Jefferson and Olive streets, now occupied by this church, was erected in 1892. It will not be surprising if the growing encoachments of business, with its bustle and noise, already pressing closely upon it, shall make advisable at no distant day the sale of the present property and the erection of a new and more commodious house of worship at a spot not too far removed from the city's active life, while ministering also to the contemplative side of Christian worship. During these past years the spiritual has maintained within the material edifice a healthy life with growth in all departments of church work, while its membership has embraced some of Springfield's most enterprising business men, with "honorable women" earnestly devoted to Christian and social advancement.
The 1914 minutes of the Synod of Missouri report a membership of six hundred and seventy-five, with five hundred and fifty in Sunday school. The value of the property, including a manse lately erected, is stated at thirty thousand dollars. A flourishing Christian Endeavor Society and a Men's Brotherhood are also reported, as well as a Woman's Missionary Society.
Since the above was written a decision of the United States Appellate Court sustaining the reunion of the two Presbyterian bodies has made it seem advisable to this highly prosperous church, reporting seven hundred and two members at its recent annual meeting, to drop the name "Cumberland," which they expect soon to do and to be known hereafter as the First Presbyterian church. 
Calvary.—In 1849 eight members were dismissed from the Mount Zion Presbyterian church of Cave Spring to assist in forming a Presbyterian church in Springfield. This organization belonged to the New School branch of the then divided church, but had in its membership, some ten years later, partisans of both the Old and New Schools, living together in relations not entirely harmonious. The pastor, Rev. Levi Morrison, and the leading elders were of the New School faction, while the residents in Springfield, being otherwise minded, insisted on an organization to suit their preferences, which was accordingly effected when, August 28, 1860, Rev. H. M. Painter organized a body bearing the name of Calvary. There were thirty-one members in the new organization, ten of whom had belonged to the previous body, including two elders, Charles Sheppard and George C. See. None of the original members are now living, Mrs. Rhoda Sheppard, widow of Henry Sheppard, the last survivor, having passed away not long since.
As residuary legatee to the New School body, Calvary church occupied a house of worship on the east side of South Jefferson street between Elm and Walnut. Dedicated July 4, 1858, it was the finest of three church edifices then occupied in Springfield, having pews, a gothic pulpit, steeple, bell and gallery. This building has remained in its original position until quite recently, being used when the church had ceased to worship in it, as a boarding house, a female seminary, a children's home and a tenement. During the Civil war it was sold for debt, but was purchased back for the former owners by Charles Sheppard with money generally understood to have been furnished by his brother, Henry, who had the reputation of not sounding a trumpet before him when be did his good deeds. "Henry Sheppard, among the early people of Greene county, was the man who made and left the best impression," is a statement which begins a three-page eulogy of this worthy man in the History of Green county, 1883.
Beginning with December, 1860, this church had for its pastor some months Frederick H. Wines, a young Princeton licentiate, located in the city as a missionary of the American Sunday School Union. In the spring of 1862, being then post chaplain of the Union army at this point, he again served the church for a longer period, holding in their house of worship a union Sunday school and preaching service for the soldiers, this being the only house of worship in Springfield not taken by military authority for secular uses. His service in this double relation was very acceptable and continued till the close of the Civil war. In 1865 he was united in marriage with a daughter of Wilson Hackney, of this city. She survived her husband, dying early in 1915 at Springfield, Illinois. Like his father E. C. Wines, D. D., Frederick was for years before his death, some three or four years ago, a recognized authority on questions of penology. Before the organization as an Old School church James A. Quarles, also a Princetonian, and later an incumbent of the chair of philosophy in Washington and Lee University, ministered to them for a time. 
Almost as soon as organized, this church began to observe the monthly concert of prayer for foreign missions, and was the first church in Southwest Missouri to assume the support of a foreign missionary. In December, 1866, Rev. James A. Paige came to the pastorate, resigning his commission as home missionary at large and continuing in that service till 1872. At his coming the church had been reduced to less than forty members, but to quote his own words, "in the fall of 1868 there developed a precious work of the Holy Spirit, continuing through the whole winter till late in the following spring, resulting in additions to the church of over a hundred members, all but a few on Confession of their faith—a most promising band of young people for useful and helpful service." On April 1, 1872, came Rev. C. H. Dunlap, remaining as stated supply till November, 1879. His ministry was also blessed with seasons of revival, which added much to the strength of the church. Straitened for room the church removed to the opera house on South street, but soon returned to their own house, where they remained till they were ready to occupy their present house of worship, at the northwest corner of Benton avenue and St. Louis street, June 29, 1879. It was finished and dedicated March 19, 1882, D. P. Putnam being pastor. The dedicatory sermon was preached by President Tuttle, of Wabash College
Three colonies have gone out from Calvary church, nineteen members in 1883 to aid in organizing Central Congregational church; twenty-one in 1885 to the Second Presbyterian church, and the same year thirty-one to Westminster Presbyterian church (Southern).
Calvary church has long been conspicuous for its large gifts for objects of Christian benevolence. For many years a mission has been maintained at Fairmount chapel. During Doctor Leard's pastorate a mission was established on East Phelps avenue, since the death of that much loved and lamented pastor, known as Leard Mission.
At the organization of the church Charles Sheppard was chosen clerk, holding that office till his death in 1886, when the present clerk, William R. Gorton, was elected to that office. After Doctor Putnam came, Dr. T. H. Cleland, then J. E. Sentz and after him Dr. Asa Leard, who died November 19, 1900 after a faithful and useful life. Largely through his efforts Major Cole was secured to conduct a long and successful evangelistic campaign, and the too severe exertions in that campaign were largely responsible for the undermining of Doctor Leard's vigorous constitution. His successor and the present pastor, Dr. Henry Little, came to the church early in 1901. 
The local missions of Calvary have been mentioned. Interest in Foreign Missions has also continued from the very beginning. Under Doctor Little's lead they have assumed the support of Rev. Charles Magill, a missionary in the Philippines.
According to last report the church had a membership of five hundred and thirty-five, with two hundred and forty-five in the Sunday school.
Second.—The Second Presbyterian church of Springfield was organized February 17, 1885, by Rev. Dr. Thomas Marshall, assisted by Rev. Gilbert Thomson and W. J. Haydon, then a licentiate. Twelve persons came from Calvary church, nine from other Presbyterian churches and one, a Roman Catholic on confession of faith and baptism. Supplied for a time by Prof. Arthur P. Hall, Ph. D., now dean of Drury College, in the October following the church secured the services of Rev. E. A. Hamilton, who continued with them until March, 1893, greatly strengthening the church and bringing it to self-support. But internal troubles greatly reduced and weakened it. The next pastor, William F. Van Der Lippe, came direct from McCormick Theological Seminary and was ordained and installed July 18, 1893. Giving much promise of future usefulness, he was discouraged by the dissensions in the church and was dismissed from the pastorate May 29, 1894.
Following a period in which the church had no regular pastor, Rev. Eugene E. Stringfield came in April, 1895, continuing his faithful ministry until the fall of 1911, when he resigned to accept the pastorate of a church in Kansas City, where he still labors. His departure was greatly regretted by his church, the community, his ministerial brethren and the Ozark Presbytery, at whose request he prepared, after much painstaking and research, a history of Presbyterianism in the Ozarks in a work of over four hundred octavo pages, published in 1909. A valuable contribution to the ecclesiastical history of Missouri, forming the chief authority on which the accounts of Presbyterian churches in these pages have been based. Of Doctor Stringfield himself the writer may speak from personal acquaintance as a minister not lacking the ability to clothe his thoughts in forms of grace and beauty, yet dwelling by preference on the fundamental principles of the gospel of salvation, as set forth in the accepted symbols of the Presbyterian church, presenting these with great clearness and vigor of expression.
He was followed by Rev. Charles H. Ticknor, who came that fall and continued with the church eighteen months. The last pastor, Rev. William T. Salmon, came in May, 1913, from McCormick Theological Seminary, where he had been pursuing advanced studies after graduation from Lebanon Seminary, in Tennessee. He resigned after two years of service. 
The church now reports a membership of one hundred and fifty, with one hundred and fifteen in Sunday school, and about thirty active members in the Christian Endeavor Society. There are Women's Missionary Societies, Home and Foreign, with about twenty-five members, and an efficient Ladies' Aid Society. 'The church property is valued at nine or ten thousand dollars, including a brick house of worship, erected in 1886, though not completed till some years later, and located at the northeast corner of Benton avenue and Locust street, and a manse built of wood and located on the same lot.
Not large nor financially strong, this church has given to the foreign field a son, Rev. W. L. Schmalhorst, for nine years a missionary in Chile, and Rev. Ernest Thompson to the home field, while Miss Bertha Miller has served as a trained nurse in China.
Much of the best life of this church as is true of many others has been due to the faithful labors of her women. "Aunt Martha" Hall, who went to her reward some years since, was a true Puritan in her devotion to the Master's service, and her fixed determination to do at whatever cost what seemed her Christian duty. Her brother-in-law, "Uncle Robert" Hall, was beloved by all who knew him as "an Israelite indeed, in whom there was no guile." He too has been called up higher.
Springfield Avenue.—Originally a Cumberland Presbyterian church, this church remained in that fellowship until the reunion in 1907, when it went with the majority into the larger fellowship. Organized in 1892, it occupied from the first a frame structure secured by purchase on the east side of the National Boulevard, between Dale and High streets. A manse, connected with it on the rear, faces on Ramsey avenue.
Among pastors of this church before and since the reunion may be named M. A. Prater, S. Hardin, C. H. Mitchelmore, L. D. Ewing and the present pastor, Columbus J. Allen.
The estimated value of the house of worship, manse and grounds, is about two thousand dollars.
The present membership of this church is reported at one hundred and ten, with one hundred and seventeen pupils and thirteen officers in the Sunday school, the average attendance being about eighty. There is a Senior Endeavor Society, a Ladies' Aid Society and a Woman's Missionary Society, devoted to objects both at home and abroad.
Woodland Heights.—This,the youngest of Presbyterian churches in Springfield, was organized September 15, 1907. Coming close after the union of the Cumberland body with the larger Presbyterian church of the U. S. A., it bore originally the name "Reunion," and representatives of both branches participated in the organization, Doctors Little, Stringfield and Bacon, Elders Gorton, Sperry and Woodruff participating in the services. A house of worship was erected the same year at the intersection of Florida and Franklin streets. In 1912 the house was removed to the corner of Douglas and Atlantic streets, enlarged and modernized. 
Rev. John S. Stapleton is the present pastor, having been preceded by W. C. Hicks and C. J. Allen. A present membership of one hundred and fifty, is reported, with one hundred and eighty-one in the Sunday school, including officers and teachers and the cradle roll. In the Sunday school report of last fall thirty-two members of the school are reported as received into the church within the year. A missionary society and a Christian Endeavor society are reported among auxiliary organizations.
First Cumberland (Old Order).—When, in 1907, reunion was effected between two bodies of the great Presbyterian family, some members of the First Cumberland church in Springfield declined to go with the majority into the new fellowship. Prominent among these was Vint N. Bray, a lawyer, by whom suit was instituted against the majority for possession of the now valuable property at the corner of Olive and Jefferson streets. Similar suits, instituted in other states, have, as a rule been decided in favor of the reunion. In Missouri an early decision for the contestants was later reversed. The Springfield suit is now part of a blanket suit before the Federal district court, and may be decided before these words are read.
Pending the delayed action of the courts the contesting body secured possession of a small structure at the southwest corner of Broad and Division streets and established there a flourishing Sunday school Under Mr. Bray's supervision, employing a pastor and holding regular services each Sabbath, Rev. J. D. Miller being pastor. The present membership is reported as forty or thereabouts, with a Sunday school of one hundred and twenty-four members and thirteen officers, the average attendance being ninety-four. Graded lessons are used and there is a monthly teachers' meeting. A Woman's Aid Society has something like twenty-five members, and there is a missionary society of twenty-two with a Young People's Society of twenty. The church property is valued at two thousand dollars.
Westminster (Southern Presbyterian).—This church was organized in July, 1883 or 1885—which year Doctor Stringfield is uncertain. A frame building was erected at the northeast corner of South Jefferson and Elm streets, and later a neat and commodious manse directly east of the church building.
Doctor Stringfield mentions the names of a number of able pastors who have ministered to this church, among whom are mentioned Dr. H. B. Boude and Rev. Messrs. Eugene F. Abbott, A. Y. Beaty, G. W. Jursey. Mr. Beaty resigned to take charge of the newly organized school of the Ozarks at Forsyth, the principal buildings of which were destroyed by fire early in 1915.
Little can be added to this account, except that this church has been in a comatose condition for the past few years, with the purpose of reorganizing in the not distant future and building a temporary structure on a lot already acquired at the corner of Cherry street and the National Boulevard. Work on this tabernacle was begun in May of the present year, with the expectation of occupying it early in June. 
First United.—Of the two United Presbyterian organizations in southern Missouri, mentioned in Doctor Stringfield's history, the one at Springfield was organized October 23, 1892, under the leadership of Rev. John Teaz, D. D., who was the first pastor. They have a neat frame house of worship, erected December, 1893, at the southwest corner of Main and Mount Vernon streets, with a good manse, built September, 1898, close beside it. The further statement that the successors of Doctor Teaz have been "men of strength, stability and piety," will not be questioned by those who have known Dr. J. W. Long, Rev. S. A. Moore, Dr. J. H. Gibson and Rev. D. P. Smith. The present pastor is Rev. J. Russell Jones, Springfield, Route 9.
The church reports a membership of eighty-five, with one hundred and seventeen enrolled in the Sunday school and fifteen in the Young People's Society. 
Springfield-Greene County Library