Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens
CLYDE L. HAMMOND. It is a matter of doubt which is the greater heritage, a distinguished name or a goodly estate. Some persons would choose one and some the other, depending wholly on their feelings and judgment combined; but when the two are handed down to descendants together, the permanent standing of such descendants in the community will never be questioned, so far as the heritage is concerned. The average citizen of the United States can hand no greater heritage to his children than an unblemished reputation, as was done in the case of Clyde L. Hammond, manager and chief engineer of the Hammond Brothers Ice and Cold Storage Company of Springfield.
Mr. Hammond was born on June 14, 1888, at Parkerville, Morris county, Kansas. He is a son of Lycurgas L. Hammond, also a native of that place, the son of John Hammond, one of the early pioneers of the Sunflower state, whither he removed from Kentucky. There the father of our subject grew to manhood, received his education and spent his earlier years as a farmer, later engaging in the contracting business, and he did a great deal of contract work for the state at Harrington, also had the contract there for furnishing ice and fuel for the Rock Island Railroad Company. He is at present located in Kansas City, where he handles coal and ice and furnishes these materials to the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company, also to the Rock Island and the Northwestern roads. For some time he was in partnership with his brother, John R. Hammond. His record is that of an honorable and successful business man. His wife, who was known in her maidenhood as Maggie Rider, died in 1884, and was buried at Parkerville, Kansas. To these parents two children were born, namely: Clyde L., of this sketch; and Helen, who is the wife of Dr. Glen Clark, of Kansas City.
Clyde L. Hammond grew to manhood in Kansas and there he received a common school education, but left school when sixteen years of age, and began clerking in a grocery store, later learned the butcher business, which he followed three years. In his early life he also worked as a farm hand for some time, also ran on the road for his father between Colorado, Kansas City, Chicago and Milwaukee. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in 1908 and became superintendent of construction of buildings and installed ice machines, etc. He became something of a mechanic and took the electric course of one of the Eastern correspondence schools and became well qualified for his present position. The plant of the Hammond Brothers was built in the spring of 1908, and is three hundred and fifty by one hundred feet. The property was leased from the Frisco. It is modern in every detail and well equipped for prompt, high-grade and sanitary service. It has a capacity of seventy tons of ice daily and employs twelve hands. The Frisco and a number of small dealers are constantly supplied, the road icing its cars from this plant, not only passenger coaches but meat and vegetable cars are supplied, the road having tracks on each side of the plant. The Hammonds have their own electric plant, three ice machines, two transcript machines, each machine having a capacity of one hundred and five tons. The plant is operated from April until November. L. L. Hammond is president and J. R. Hammond is treasurer.
Mr. Hammond was married in 1910 to Hazel Phiffer, a daughter of Charles Phiffer, of Kankakee, Illinois.
Politically, he is a Democrat. He belongs to the Eagles and is a member of the Catholic church.
Springfield-Greene County Library