Jonathan Fairbanks and Clyde Edwin Tuck

Past and Present of Greene County, Missouri

Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens


HOLLAND DAIRY FARM. During the past few years it has been demonstrated beyond a question of a doubt that the best paying dairy is the one that is most sanitary and managed under scientific methods, although the expense of proper equipment and maintenance may be large, in the end the outlay is not regretted. Those who own dairies nowadays pay more attention to the comfort of their stock than in former years. Barns are kept clean and filled with light and air, are built with cement floors, windows for ventilation, much attention paid to an adequate supply of fresh water and high-grade food; in fact, there has been as much progress made in dairying as in most other lines of industry during the past decade.

One of the most up-to-date, sanitary and successful dairies in Greene and surrounding counties is the Holland Dairy, owned and operated by Charles Holland, on his fine farm of four hundred and forty acres just west of Springfield, and the fame of this model dairy is far-reaching. It is often visited by people from other parts of Missouri and other states for the purpose of getting ideas for the establishment of dairies or improving those already established.

Here is to be seen a one-story concrete housing barn, thirty-six by one hundred and ten feet, complete with "Star" equipment; three silos with a capacity of five hundred tons. He keeps an average of fifty head of high-grade Holstein cows, the best that the market affords, and his herd is given the tuberculosis test twice a year. The cows are milked by Sharpies milkers. The milk is never exposed to the air, going direct from the machine -to the cooler, where the temperature is reduced from one hundred and one degrees to forty-four degrees, and from there to the bottling machine. All this machinery is thoroughly cleaned by steam and hand. One hundred and fifty gallons of milk are produced daily in this dairy. The tubular coolers are made of one and one-half inch copper tubes, which are tinned on the inside as well as on the outside. The tubes are made of sufficient gauge to withstand high pressure. Heavy tinned brass strips fill up the spaces between the tubes. The cooler represents a continuous surface on both sides, which facilitates the cleaning. Brass plugs are provided so as to be able to clean the inside of the tubes and free them from any sediment. All coolers are made with double waterway connections. They are figured on a basis of twenty square feet of cooling surface to each one thousand pounds of milk or cream cooled. A double end milk bottle filler is used, quarts at one end; pints, half pints or quarter pints at the other. It is installed in a regular bottling house, where four hundred and fifty bottles are prepared daily for the trade and sent to the Springfield market in attractive delivery wagons, especially designed for the purpose. The most approved stanchions are to be seen in the milking barn.

The Holland Dairy has been frequently praised by leading dairymen of the country and much, written of in dairy publications.

Charles Holland, owner and manager of this dairy and surrounding farm, was born on November 9, 1879, in Springfield, Missouri. He is a son of T. B. and Bertonia (Hamilton) Holland, for a long lapse of years one of the prominent families of this locality, and of whom extended mention is made on other pages of this work.

Charles Holland grew to manhood in his native city, and after attending the common schools, entered Drury College, where he spent three years, later was a student for four years in the Webb School at Bellbuckle, Tennessee, and was graduated from that institution in 1902. He then spent a year in Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, after which he entered the employ of the Holland Banking Company in his native city, and continued in the same until 1907, when he went into the live stock business, importing Coach and Percheron horses from France. He continued successfully in this business until January 1, 1914, when he sold out and has discontinued this line of endeavor. In 1912, he began operating the Holland Dairy Farms, and this is now claiming his chief attention and it has been a most successful venture in every respect.

Mr. Holland was married April 18, 1900, to Louise Massey, a daughter of Frank R. and Sallie (Jones) Massey, one of the best known and influential families of Springfield, in which city Mrs. Holland was born on April 25, 1879, and here she grew to womanhood and was educated. She has long been popular with the best clubs and social circles and is a lady of many pleasing attributes.

The union of Mr. and Mrs. Holland has resulted in the birth of four children, named as follows: Colley B., born on July 7, 1901; Charles, Jr., born in March, 1903; R. Massey, born on May 7, 1905; Richard H., born on May 9, 1907. They are all attending school, and are lads of much promise.

Politically, Mr. Holland is a Democrat. He is a member of the Springfield Club, and fraternally belongs to the Masonic order, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree, and he also belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

[1827-1829]


A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y
Table of Contents | Keyword Search
Greene County History Home | Local History Home