Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens
LEVY-WOLF DRY GOODS COMPANY. One of the best known progressive mercantile establishments in Springfield is the Levy-Wolf Dry Goods Company, located in the southeast corner of the Public Square.
This business was founded here by Mr. M. Levy twenty-seven years ago, under the firm name of the Model Dry Goods Company, and was operated under that name until January, 1914, when the incorporation of the Levy-Wolf Dry Goods Company was effected, with increased capital stock, to take over the business, which had steadily grown during the many years of its existence to be one of the largest distributors of exclusive dry goods, millinery and women's ready-to-wear apparel in southwestern Missouri, and now has a force of sixty employees and counts among its patrons the best. families of Springfield and surrounding counties. This store, which is still known as "The Model," has made a specialty of goods of quality and has won for itself an enviable reputation for dependability of its merchandise and for fairness and integrity in its dealings.
Mr. M. Levy before coming to Springfield was engaged in the mercantile business in Arrow Rock and Marshall in Saline county, this state, for twenty-one years, from 1866 to 1887, where he met with a very reasonable degree of success, and is further said to have had more personal friends than any man who had ever been engaged in business in that section, and even to this day none of the old-timers of Saline county visit Springfield without looking him up.
Mr. Levy has always been identified with every enterprise for the advancement and good of Springfield, and has likewise taken an active interest in all charitable and philanthropic affairs.
The Levy-Wolf Dry Goods Company is capitalized for fifty thousand dollars, fully paid up, and the destinies of the company are success fully directed by the following officers: M. Levy, president; Ignace Glaser, vice-president; Sol R. Wolf, secretary and manager, I. R. Levy, treasurer.
The building which for the past fourteen years has housed this progressive firm was entirely remodeled a few years ago, into an attractive convenient and modernly appointed store, which with its late style recess show windows would be a credit to any city. The first floor is devoted to staple and fancy dry goods, notions and toilet requisites; the second floor is given over entirely to the women's ready-to-wear department, and the third floor is very handsomely furnished for the departments of millinery and dressmaking. The latter department, being one of the principal features of the store, has a clientele while not large in numbers practically extends from Maine to California, and gives the store the distinction of almost a national reputation. It is such institutions that have contributed to the making of a greater Springfield.
Springfield-Greene County Library