Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens
JUDGE ALFRED PAGE. One of the prominent lawyers of Greene county is Judge Alfred Page, whose career at the local bar, comparatively brief, has been most commendable. As judge of the Circuit Court for a period of four years, he proved himself to be worthy of the people's trust in high positions. Coming up from the soil, battling his way alone and unaided up the ladder of professional success, he is entitled to the respect and admiration that all should accord the successful self-made man.
Judge Page was born near Covington, Tipton county, Tennessee. He is a son of L. and Artemissa (Montgomery) Page, early settlers in western Tennessee and there the father engaged in farming, being now eighty-three years of age. The death of the mother occurred in 1904, when about seventy-five years of age. The father removed to Missouri many years ago, locating in Webster county and came on to Greene county in 1907. Judge Page has a brother in California and one in Missouri, who are engaged in teaching; four of his brothers are deceased; two sisters are living, one in Joplin, this state, and the other is keeping house for her father in Greene, county, Missouri.
Alfred Page grew to manhood on the farm and assisted with the general work about the place when he became of proper age. He was sixteen years old when he came to Missouri in 1885, and located in Greene county in 1891, where he has since maintained his home. He received a common school education, and later studied at Drury College, Springfield, from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1897. He began his career by teaching which he followed five years, four of which were spent as principal of the high school at Ash Grove and one as principal of the high school at Aurora. Not finding this field of endeavor entirely to his liking he began the study of law while still teaching and in 1901 was admitted to the bar, and at once began practice in Springfield. Taking an interest in public affairs from the first he was assistant prosecuting attorney of Greene county from 1903 to 1906, inclusive. He was elected judge of the Criminal Court in 1908, the duties of which office he assumed January 1, 1909. In April of that year the criminal court was merged with division No. 2 of the Circuit Court, and Mr. Page was appointed by Governor Herbert Hadley the first judge of the new division. After his term of office expired, January 1, 1913, he formed a partnership with Col. G. A. Watson, under the firm name of Watson & Page, with offices in the Baker block on the public square, Springfield, and he has since been a member of this firm. Politically, he is a Republican.
Judge Page was married in 1900 to Ada Trevitt, of Ash Grove, a lady of many commendable attributes of head and heart, and she was summoned to an untimely grave in 1903, leaving a daughter, Lenora Artemissa Page.
Personally the Judge is a gentleman of exemplary character, a good mixer and a pleasant man to meet.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y
Table of Contents | Keyword Search Greene County History Home | Local History Home