Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens
HENRY D. ROBINSON. In working for others it has always been the aim of Henry D. Robinson to do his full duty, and do well and honestly the tasks assigned him, and this conscientiousness and fidelity have resulted in success and a good conscience. If it had not been for these qualities he would not today be holding the responsible position of engineer of the crane and magnet reclamation department of the Frisco's South Side shops in Springfield.
Mr. Robinson was born in Waynesville, Pulaski county, Missouri, on December 9, 1875. His father, John Robinson, was born in Tennessee, where he grew up, attended school, married and engaged in farming, and from that state removed to Pulaski county, Missouri, prior to 1875, where he owned and conducted a farm for a number of years, finally removing to Springfield, where he engaged in the livery business under his own name for five years, then spent the rest of his life in retirement, dying in November, 1913, at the age of seventy-five years. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He married Sarah McMillan, also a native of Tennessee, where she grew to womanhood and attended school. Her death occurred in 1897, in Pulaski county, Missouri, and she was buried at Waynesville. Nine children were born to these parents, namely: Mrs. Mollie Trower lives at Crocker, Missouri; William is engaged in farming near Waynesville; Mrs. Alice Gilliat was next in order; Mrs. Cora Walker lives in St. Louis; Henry D., of this review; Mrs. Nira Wryrick is deceased; Edward lives in Springfield and is a brakeman on the Frisco Lines; Lilburn is engaged in the manufacture of stoves in St. Louis; Charles lives in Springfield.
Henry D. Robinson grew to manhood on the home farm in Pulaski county, where he worked when a boy, and he received his education in the public schools of that vicinity. He remained with his parents until he came to Springfield, in 1900. In February, 1901, he began working here for the Frisco, in the old North Side shops, a hostler, continuing at this for four years, then was fireman for a short time, after which he was appointed engineer of the traveling steam crane in the construction department, making trips all over the various divisions of this road. In September, 1913, he was transferred to the reclamation department as engineer of the yard crane and magnet, which position he holds at this writing in a manner that reflects credit upon himself and to the satisfaction of the company. His duties are manifold, including the overseeing of the shipment of a certain amount of junk from the yards, etc.
Mr. Robinson was married on June 4, 1897, to Augusta King, a daughter of Martin King and wife, of Bellefonte, Pulaski county, where she was reared and educated. To this union four children have been born, namely: Ray, John, Estelle and Mabel.
Politically, Mr. Robinson is a Democrat. Fraternally, he belongs to, the Knights and ladies of Security, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Loyal Order of Moose.
Springfield-Greene County Library