Jonathan Fairbanks and Clyde Edwin Tuck

Past and Present of Greene County, Missouri

Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens


ELMER D. SQUIBB. The people of Bois D'Arc and vicinity point to Elmer D. Squibb, well-known jeweler and optician, as one of their most valued citizens, admiring him for his high moral character; for his life among them since his birth, some four decades ago, may well be likened unto an open book. That they place implicit confidence in him is evidenced by the fact that he is regarded as one of the leaders in public affairs and is now serving them as postmaster. The duties of the various positions of trust which he has been called upon to fill have been discharged with credit.

Mr. Squibb was born in Bois D'Arc, Greene county, Missouri, May 11, 1875. He is a son of Joseph D. and Sarah (Leeper) Squibb. The name began from the Spanish Esquivel, and passed through France as Esquib, thence to Reading, Gerkshire, England, as Squibb, thence to Nova Scotia, and from there to Brooklyn, New York, where Dr. Edward R. Squibb established what is known today as the oldest chemical laboratory in the world. William P. Squibb and descendants are at Lawrenceburg, Indiana. John W. Squibb and descendants are known in Greene county, Tennessee, while James Squibb, the paternal grandfather of our subject, came and settled in Greene county, Missouri, in the early forties, where eight sons and one daughter, forty grandchildren and seventy great-grandchildren survived him in 1914. Joseph D. Squibb, father of our subject, is today living in Center township, carrying on general farming, operating about five hundred acres, practically all of which is under cultivation. He has reached the age of sixty-four years and is well preserved and can do as much work as ever.

Mrs. Sarah Squibb, mother of our subject, died in November, 1877. She was a daughter of Andrew Leeper and wife, who were natives of Greene county, Tennessee, and came into Greene county, Missouri, in the early forties and were among the first settlers. Here they first established the Leeper home. They have long since passed over the River of Time.

Elmer D. Squibb grew to manhood in Bois D'Arc and received his education in the public schools here, later attending for one year the Marionville Collegiate Institute at Marionville, Lawrence, county, then studied in the Scarrett College at Neosho, Missouri, one year. From 1892 to 1899 he ran a drug store and studied pharmacy, passing the state board's examination in 1906. In 1899 he engaged in the grocery business. In 1900 he attended the Horological school at Omaha, Nebraska, from which he was duly graduated as a jeweler and optician, and in 1901 established his present store in Bois D'Arc, which he has since conducted with much success, enjoying a large business with the surrounding country. He carries a carefully selected line of jewelry, diamonds, watches, clocks, fobs, chains, bracelets, lockets, rings, charms, eye glasses, etc., and he has met with pronounced success as an optician. His repair work is regarded as high-grade.

On December 26, 1902, Mr. Squibb was appointed postmaster at Bois D'Arc and has since served in this capacity in a manner highly acceptable to the people and the department. Politically, he is a Republican, and has been very active in political affairs for some time. He served one term as constable of his township and in 1912 made the race for treasurer, but went down in the general defeat of his party. He was township committee man from 1902 to 1908. Fraternally, he belongs to Lodge No. 449, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and has been worshipful master for about eight years; he belongs to Ash Grove Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, and Zebud Council of Royal and Select Masters, of Springfield; he is also a member of Ash Grove Lodge No. 422, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the World, of which he has been secretary for four years, and is also a member of the Woodmen of the World Circle. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Mr. Squibb was married, May 11, 1898 to Maude M. Frame, who was born, April 18, 1879. She is a daughter of J. W. and Delilah (Jones) Frame. Her father was born September 28, 1855, and her mother was born, February 12, 1852; the latter's death occurred March 1, 1883. Mrs. Squibb is a member of the Order of Eastern Star, Ash Grove Chapter, No. 109. She is deputy postmaster at Bois D'Are. She is one of three children by her father's first marriage: Homer, G., Who is a practicing physician at Cave Spring; Mrs. Squibb was next in order of birth, and Rosalee, who married Walter E. Baker, a merchant of Bois D'Arc. Mrs. Squibb received her education in the public schools in Bois D'Arc and is a graduate of Omaha Optical Institute, Omaha, Nebraska.

[1829-1830]


A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y
Table of Contents | Keyword Search
Greene County History Home | Local History Home