Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens
STAHL BROTHERS. The firm of Stahl Brothers, horseshoers and general blacksmiths at 218-220-222 West Pacific street, Springfield, is one of the most widely known and popular of its kind in Greene county and special mention of the success of these young men in this, one of the oldest and at the same time one of the most important and indispensable of the trades, should be noted in a work of the nature of the one in hand. They believe in employing progressive methods in their work and maintain a modernly equipped shop, where high-grade work is promptly done, and their customers come from over a wide territory adjacent to Springfield.
William F. Stahl, senior member of the firm, was born on September 26, 1878, in Sullivan, Franklin county, Missouri. He is a son of Julius and Louise (Rauch) Stahl, both natives of the state of New York and of German descent, but they were reared in St. Louis, and they are now living in Springfield. The father is a contractor in concrete work and is one of the well-known men in his line in this locality, having lived here twenty-six years, removing at that time from Lebanon, Laclede county, Missouri. To Julius Stahl and wife five children were born, all still living, namely: William F., Ernest A., Charles H., Julius A., and Paul W.
William F. Stahl received a common school education and when he began life for himself it was in the brick business, later was with his father in the concrete business, finally learning the blacksmith's trade, having commenced working at the age of eighteen for a blacksmith on Commercial street, Springfield. He then went to Watrous, New Mexico, and went into business as a blacksmith for himself, and later established a shop at Canyon City, Colorado, where he remained until 1906, when he returned to Springfield and continued his business in partnership with L. L. Calk at the corner of Campbell and Pacific streets, later purchased one-half interest in the firm of Stryker & Morgan, buying out Mr. Morgan. Then our subject's brother, Charles H. Stahl, bought a one-third interest in the business, the firm name changing to Stryker & Stahl Bros. The latter purchased Mr. Stryker's interest in 1908 and have since conducted the business under the firm name of Stahl Bros., at the present location, and have built up a large and constantly increasing business and enjoy a reputation for honest and excellent work as horse shoers and general blacksmiths. They began in a modest way, starting with a small shop, but in 1912 it was necessary for them to add two new buildings, and they are now occupying a large, well-arranged and substantial two-story brick structure and are the leading blacksmiths on the north side of the city and equal to any in Greene and adjoining counties. Beside themselves they require seven skilled assistants.
William F. Stahl was married on August 7, 1908, to Bessie Sanders, who was born in Mountain Grove, Missouri, and is a daughter of William Sanders and wife. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Stahl has been without issue.
Politically, he is a Democrat. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen and the Eagles, having been treasurer of the latter lodge for the past six years, is also treasurer of the Fraternal Aid, of which he has been a member for a number of years. He is a member of the Germania Club and the German Brotherhood.
Charles H. Stahl, junior member of the firm, was born on October 11, 1883, in Lebanon, Missouri, and received his education in the common schools in Springfield and when a boy began learning the blacksmith's trade and has since followed this vocation in Springfield. In his earlier career he worked for some time in the shop of L. L. Calk. He has remained unmarried. Politically, he is a Democrat. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen and the Eagles, the Germania Club and the German Brotherhood. Both these young men stand well in the circles and clubs in which they move.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y
Table of Contents | Keyword Search Greene County History Home | Local History Home