CAPT. HENRY AHERN. There are few branches of business which are so rapidly assuming prominence as that of real estate. The phenomenal advances of American cities, the opportunity presented of obtaining choice building sites, where, in a few years, their value will place them beyond the possibility of becoming the property of the wage earner or the man of average means, all render the office of the real estate man, a successful addition to the business of our cities. Springfield affords a good example of the advance of the real estate interest, and this advance cannot be anything but a reflex of the progress and general prosperity of the city, and being such, it constitutes a strong reason for gratification among all observant and appreciative business men. It has now been five years since Capt. Henry Ahern established his real estate office at 220 Boonville Street, but in February, 1893, he removed to his present place of business, where he is actively engaged in selling and exchanging all kinds of real estate and in renting and collecting. His business is established on a solid basis, and as be is a good business manager and a good judge of property in both city and country, he has a business that occupies all his time and attention. He was born in Rochester, N. Y., November 2, 1842, a son of John and Nora Ahern, who removed to the Hoosier State when the subject of this sketch was a boy, and there in 1856 the father died, his wife having preceded him to her long home in 1848 in Buffalo, N. Y. In the common schools of Indiana the subject of this sketch received a good education, but his studies were interrupted by the opening of the Civil War. On the 25th of April, 1861, be enlisted in Company F, Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under Col. John Cook, and was mustered in at Springfield, Ill., as a private but was promoted to the non-commissioned office of sergeant soon after, and after the battle of Shiloh was made second lieutenant and first lieutenant after the battle of Corinth. In May, 1864, he became captain, and thus became commander of the company with which he first enlisted. He was mustered out of the service July 9, 1865, at Louisville, Ky., having participated. in the following engagements: Shiloh, Fort Donelson, second battle of Corinth, Altoona, Ga., Bentonville, N. C., and in the engagements with Sherman on his March to the Sea. He was neither taken prisoner nor wounded during his service and was in the hospital only once. The only light service be saw was when he was quarter master on the staff of Col. Bain of Quincy, Ill., and although he was only eighteen years old when he entered the service, he bore the hardship and privations of war well, but of late years has been feeling the effects of his long and hard service, which extended over a period of four years and three months. After his return home from the war he engaged in the sale of carriages at Springfield, Ill., locating in that city about 1879, but later he was engaged in the sale of musical instruments at Decatur, Ill. In 1888 he came to Springfield, Mo., and his time and energies since that time have been given to the real estate business, in which he has met with remarkable success. He has shown exceptionally good judgment in the management of his affairs, and being enterprising, though at all times prudent, be has amassed considerable property and is in independent circumstances. All his life long he has been a Republican and has been interested in the political affairs of -the day. He is a member of the G. A. R. and belongs to the Blue Lodge of the A. F. & A. M. He was married in Illinois to Miss Alice A. Tullis, who was born in Delhi, Ill., and they have a pleasant home on E. Walnut Street, Springfield. They are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the city.
Springfield-Greene County Library