REV. W. C. CALLAND. The tendency of the times is to broaden and elevate the character of man. The opportunities bestowed upon men of comfortable means of obtaining the culture and widened vision of the present day tend to make the most of men -who have inherited the keen insight and philanthropic character from a Scotch ancestry. Few men of his chosen city possess more of the well rounded characteristics of a christian gentleman and business man than W. C. Calland. He is a descendant of sterling Scotch Presbyterian stock, and his ancestors were numbered among the Covenanters and originated in Aberdeen, Scotland. They were members of the celebrated McGregor clan. The Scotch people organized a free school system early 1600 and were ever afterwards noted for their intelligence. The Callands, like many of their nationality, were firm believers in education, and at an early period many of them became educated men. Joseph Calland, the great grandfather of our subject, was an educated and prominent man. He was dean of the Aberdeen Academy for at least sixteen years and was a leader of music in the Scotch Presbyterian Church of his native town for many years. This position has been held by some member of the family for many generations. Joseph Calland, son of the above and grandfather of our subject, was born at Aberdeen and secured his scholastic training in the academy of that town. He taught music for many years and finally engaged in business as a shoe merchant, in which he prospered and became extensively known. He married Elizabeth, daughter of William Millross who was a prominent merchant of Aberdeen and who was also dean of' the academy for seven years, succeeding Joseph Calland. Twelve children were born to the marriage of Mr. Calland In 1820, after the birth of all his children, this gentleman sailed for America and three of his children died on the voyage. The remainder of the family landed in the city of New York and then, after purchasing supplies and three ox teams, they traveled in company with five other Ohio families that had come with them from the old country, to the wilds of settling in what is now Monroe County. There Joseph Calland bought land, cleared up a farm of 160 acres and became a substantial farmer. His sons and sons-in-law also located, cleared up farms and became prosperous farmers and stock-raisers. Several Scotch families having settled in this neigborhood and near the present town of Summerfield, it became widely known throughout the country as the "Calland Settlement." Mr. Calland being a devoutly religious man, immediately after building his hewn-log house in the wilderness, turned his attention to establishing a Church, which was the first in that part of the country. Mr. Calland and three of his sons became local preachers and the "Calland Settlement" became known to the pioneers for many miles on account of its morality, strict observance of the Sabbath, and the religious character of the people. Joseph Calland being a man of education, which was unusual among the pioneers, held the office of justice of the peace and was prominent in the organization of Monroe County. He was one of the early school teachers, built one of the first school houses in his county and this school became in time the high school, pupils attending it for miles around and from the neighboring counties. The impress of this early schooling still remains in the neighborhood which is yet marked for its refinement. Many of the pupils educated in this school became in after years prominent men and women. Thus the humble settlement of these sturdy Scotch pioneers thrived and became one of the best improved in that part of Ohio. Joseph Calland died at the age of seventy-two years and his wife at the age of ninety-two. Her family was noted for longevity, her mother reaching the great age of 102 years. Joseph Calland was a man of high moral character, intensely religious and uncompromising in his doctrinal views. He held in his church the office of class leader and was local minister for years. Of iron constitution his stalwart frame was well fitted for the life of a pioneer, among whom he was held in great respect. He was county commissioner one term. His second son, William Calland, the father of our subject, was seven years of age when he came with his parents to America and well remembered the voyage. The burial service of his little brother, who died at sea, vividly impressed itself upon his mind and he ever afterward had a great horror of water. Coming when young to a pioneer country and early beginning to assist in clearing the land, he became inured to the hardships of the life of the pioneer in his youth. He received the education of the district schools and being a lover of books and a student by nature, he accumulated a good library for his day and gained a practical education. He was a patron of the New York Tribune for forty years and was a firm Abolitionist. His house was a station on the underground railroad and in several instances he assisted in the escape of slaves. He was married at the age of twenty-one years, to Miss Sarah Capell, daughter of Nathaniel Capell who came from England and was one of the pioneers of the "Calland Settlement," and one who heartily engaged in the advancement of the settlement. He was a strong Methodist and a leader in the church and his descendants are educated and prominent people. He married Miss Nancy -----, and they were the parents of six children: James, William, Nancy, Maty, Eliza and who died in infancy. Mr.Capell lived to the age of eighty-five years, his wife to seventy-five years. To William Calland and wife were born six children as follows: Francis, Robert, William, Samuel (died in infancy), Samantha and Eliza. All his life Mr. Calland had been a farmer and stock-raiser and was a prosperous man, being the owner of 445 acres of fine land on which he had good improvements. This property he accumulated with his own hands unaided except with what help his boys gave him and was a self made man in very truth. A Methodist in his religious views he was a prominent man in his church, holding the office of trustee and treasurer. In politics he was a strong Republican and an ardent Abolitionist. He had the respect and confidence of the people and held the office of county commissioner for some time. Public-spirited and progressive be took an interest in good roads and for many years held the office of road commissioner. He was a liberal contributor to his church and was one of the foremost in building the Methodist Church in his community. His first wife died at the age of thirty- seven years, and his second marriage was to Miss Mariah J., daughter of Rev. Richard Horton, a prominent Methodist minister. By this wife Mr. Calland became the father of ten children: Richard W., Weston F., Hermond J., Georgiana, Marietta, Forest E., and Harry, and two who died in infancy. Thus Mr. Calland was the father of sixteen children. Like his father, he was a man of sturdy integrity, a lover of peace and frequently an arbitrator among the people. Kind and benevolent he assisted the poor and needy, and at an early day his house was the home of the itinerant Methodist preacher. He was so regular in his attendance at church that his absence would have been a matter of remark. Rain or shine he was always in his accustomed seat. Of benevolent nature, the poor man or stranger was never turned from his door, and be aided with generous hand not only the cause of religion, but any enterprise deserving his assistance. Rev. W. O. Calland, son of the above, was born on his father's farm in the "Calland Settlement," Monroe County, Ohio, December 27, 1843, and early learned to work on the farm. There he acquired those traits of character, probity, industry and thrift, of which the Scotch are so justly proud, and gained from honest labor, perseverance and self reliance the basis of an honorable, upright career. He received the education of the district school and later attended the high school in the village of Summerfield. When twenty years of age, March 3, 1864, be enlisted as a soldier in the service of the United States, at Summerfield, in Company D, One Hundred and Eighty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and for one year served as a private. He was then promoted to corporal and later to second lieutenant, serving out his time for the most part in Virginia and Maryland. He was in the battle of Monocosa Junction, Md., and in the skirmishes at Danville, Ky., Cumberland, Md., and Arlington Heights. After serving six months he was promoted to quartermaster of his regiment, and was honorably discharged by general orders at the close of the war. The young soldier then returned home and resumed the studies that had been interrupted by the war. He attended the preparatory department of Oberlin College and then took a classical course in that institution, graduating in 1877. After this he attended the Andover, Mass., Theological Seminary and graduated in 1880. On the l4th of August of that year he married Miss Josephine Franks, daughter of Dr. Ezra and Eleanor (Brown) Franks. The great-grandfather of Dr. Franks come from Germany before the War of the Revolution and settled in Fayette County, Penn. His son, Henry, was born in that county and served as a soldier seven years in the Revolutionary War. He was taken prisoner by the Indians in Pennsylvania and kept a captive for three years, enduring many hardships and privations during that time. After the war he settled in Wayne County and married Miss Christine Mason who bore him nine children. Mr. Franks died at the age of seventy-two. His son, Henry, father of Dr. Franks, was born in Fayette County, Penn., and there grew to manhood and received the ordinary education of those days. He married Miss Susan Routson and became the father of nine children. He was a substantial farmer of Wayne County and lived to be eighty-three years of age. He was a prominent member of the Methodist Church and held the offices of class leader, steward and trustee. He was noted for his piety, honesty of character and peaceful disposition. Dr. Franks, the father of Mrs. Calland, was born December 10, 1823, in Wayne County, Ohio, and was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. When twenty-three years of age he began the study of medicine under Drs. Rusk & Hunt, of Lorain County, Ohio, as was the custom in those days in his school of medicine, Homeopathy. His medical education was gained entirely from his preceptors and he began practicing at Oberlin and Wellington, Ohio, where he remained carrying on a successful practice for more than twenty years. He then practiced in Hillsdale and Gratiot Counties, Mich., and there continued for thirteen years. In 1890 Dr. Franks came to Springfield and still continues to practice his profession. He was married on the 11th of June, 1845, to Ellen Brown, who was of Irish descent. Four children were born to this union: Owen H., Millard L., Josephine and William L. The Doctor is a Republican in politics and in religious belief is a Methodist. He has held all the offices in his church and has contributed liberally of his means to its support. For two years he held the office of county commissioner of Lorain County and was justice of the peace in Oberlin many years. He also held many minor offices. After marriage Rev. Calland was called to the oldest Congregational Church in Michigan to fill its pulpit and remained there two years. He was then called to the first Congregational Church of St. Louis, Mich., and was pastor of that church for four years. While there, by his efforts, two Congregational Churches were built. He identified himself with the growth of the town and was appointed school commissioner of Gratiot County in 1885 and 1886. In the latter year be was called to Drury College to become financial manager and the next-year he was elected secretary and treasurer, positions which he still fills to the great advantage of the college and with credit to himself. During this time he has had complete charge of the finances of the college and under his management this institution has prospered in its monetary matters. Rev. Calland has been a prominent factor in the growth of Drury College and is identified with the interests of the college and city and has promoted a growth of confidence between them. Both Rev. and Mrs. Calland move in the highest social circles in Springfield, and Mrs. Calland takes a leading part in literary matters. Rev. Calland was elected city treasurer in 1892 and this position he still holds to the satisfaction of the people. The same year he was elected president of the Springfield Humane Society and December, 1892, he was elected treasurer of the Board of Associated Charities of the City of Springfield. Since that time he has been thoroughly informed of the needs of the city. Rev. Calland is a public-spirited citizen and takes an active interest in the promotion of public enterprises and is now deeply interested in the Springfield, Marshall & Sedalia R. R. He is also intimately connected with the Y. M. C. A. and has always been recognized as a man of benevolence, and has been active in assisting the needy colored people of Springfield.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y
Keyword Search | Pictorial and Genealogical Home
Springfield-Greene County Library