DR. J. M. CLYDE. There is no profession which meets the popular needs more than that of the dentist. He confers a positive boon on humanity, supplies that which is either deficient or destroyed and completes the appearance and comfort of his patients. One of the well-established and most popular dentists of Springfield is Dr. J. M. Clyde, who has been a resident of this city since the spring of 1886 and has elegant rooms over the Commercial Bank. The Doctor came originally from the Dominion of Canada, born near Huntington, December 16, 1833, to the union of James and Agnes (Marshall) Clyde. His parents were born near Glasgow, Scotland, and in 1830 came to America and settled in Canada. In the fifties they removed to Iowa. Both were members of the Presbyterian Church. Six children were born to them, of whom our subject is the oldest. The father of these children was a well-to-do farmer and gave liberally of his means to further all worthy measures. The Doctor's early life was passed on his father's farm and in the district schools, where he obtained a fair education. Later he entered the Kentucky University and completed his literary course. In 1860 he began his career as an educator, teaching in the Bluegrass State for twelve years, and was classed among the very best instructors-a natural-born teacher. He was for seven years Principal of Bath Seminary, Kentucky, and his fame as an educator was spread both far and wide. His education is broad and thorough, and he stands as a shining light of. what a young man may accomplish by energy and industry. In 1863 he began reading medicine, and nearly completed the course, but taking a fancy to dentistry, he adopted that profession, commencing the study of the same in 1876, while teaching, and graduated with special honors at the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, in 1880. The next two years he served as clinical instructor and demonstrator of operative dentistry in the same college, which was a compliment to his professional ability. He was president of the Mississippi Valley Association of Dental Surgeons, in 1883, and also of the Kentucky State Association, in 1885. During this time he was living in Covington, Ky., practicing his profession. In the spring of 1893 the School of Anesthesia was organized in Chicago, Ill., and he, with other prominent dentists, physicians and surgeons, was elected a member of the faculty. He came to Springfield in 1886 for his daughter's health, and as she improved from the first, he has made this his home. He has a good practice and is a skilled and experienced dentist, and is prepared to administer anesthetics by the most improved method, for the relief of his patients from pain in severe operations. He is a representative man in his profession, enjoys the confidence and esteem of the business men of the city, and is a member of the church. In 1869 he was married to Miss Carrie Thompson, of Mt. Sterling, Ky., than whom none stood higher in the esteem of the people of that city. To this marriage one child has been born, Mary F., who is now attending school. In his political views the Doctor is a Democrat, public spirited but quiet and unassuming.
Springfield-Greene County Library