MARK GAULT. The gentleman whose name beads this sketch is a native of Greene County, Mo., where he was born on September 14, 1852, seven miles east of Springfield. He is a son of Harvey W. and Margaret J. (Gibson) Gault, the former of whom was born in Franklin County, Tenn., a son of James Gault, who was of Irish descent. The latter was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and died in Tennessee. Harvey W. Gault came to Greene County, Mo., in 1843 and resided on a farm until his death in 1880. He was a Republican in politics, and was highly respected by all who knew him. His wife, who was born in Tennessee, was the daughter of John H. Gibson, who was a native of North Carolina and became an early settler of Greene County, Mo., where the remainder of his days were spent. Mrs. Gault died about 1889, having become the mother of eight children: Sarah, wife of C. C. Turner; John, who was a member of the Eighth Missouri Regiment during the Civil War, died at Jefferson City of exposure while in the service; Isabelle is the wife of G. W. Plummer, of Greene County; Mark; Mary is the wife of R. D. Smith, of Douglass County, Mo.; William B. is a stock trader of the city of Springfield; Lula is the wife of J. C. Gibson, of Springfield and Nathaniel, who is living on the old home place in Campbell Township. The parents of this family were very well and favorably known to the early settlers of the county, by whom they will long be remembered. Mark Gault was reared on the old home farm in this county and received the advantage of the district school in the vicinity of his rural home. When starting out in life for himself it was as a farmer near his old home, on the farm on which his grandfather Gibson had settled, but later moved to Taylor Township and in connection with Frank Smith began stock trading, in which business he was quite successful up to 1887. He then came to Springfield and opened a livery stable, by purchasing a half interest of A. P. Routh, with whom he was associated up to 1890, at which time he became sole proprietor. Since February, 1893, J. C. Dodson, has owned an interest in the business and the firm is known as Gault & Dodson. Their place of business is at 307, 309 and 311 West Walnut Street, Springfield, and they have built up a remunerative trade by upright business methods. Mr. Gault makes a specialty of his business and his barn is one of the handsomest and most substantial in the city, besides being exceptionally commodious and well adapted to displaying his many conveyances. Mr. Gault is a Republican in politics and has taken an active part in all public matters. He is decidedly public spirited and as a shrewd and far-seeing business man has not his superior in his section of the country. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Lodge, of Strafford, Mo., and the K. of P. Lodge of Springfield. He was married in January, 1880, to Miss Martha Claud of this county, a daughter of Calvin Claud. Mrs. Gault is a native of the county.
Springfield-Greene County Library