J. B. HAMPTON is a man of astute judgment, a good judge of human nature, clear and clean in his methods of conducting his business affairs, and well posted in the requirements of the abstract business, to which he has for some time devoted his time and attention. His business methods have always been such as to secure the fullest confidence and the result is that he holds a position in business circles that any man might envy, and is looked upon as a citizen worthy of the highest regard. He was born in Jackson County, Tenn., on the 10th of March, 1863, being one of the nine surviving members of a family of ten children born to John R. and Sarah J. (Hawkins) Hampton, the former of whom was born in Virginia, a son of George W. Hampton, who was a pioneer of the Old Dominion. Members of this family were active participants in the War of 1812 and in the War of Independence they also did valorous service. John R. Hampton is a prominent and prosperous merchant of Cookville, Tenn., and is known over an extensive tract of territory round about as a man of sterling business principles and whose word is as good as his bond. For twenty-two years he was a resident of Clay County, from the time of its organization up to 1893, and while there was honored by an election to the position of county collector, and for a number of years was a justice of the peace and discharged his duties with impartial fairness. He is a member of the Democrat party, has long, been a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the I. O. O. F. and he and his wife are connected with the Christian Church. In the management of his affairs he has shown the best of judgment and is known to be a man of means. J. B. Hampton secured such education, as could be obtained in the public schools of his native county and his first business training was secured in the mercantile establishment of Hampton & Kirkpatrick owned by J. B. and W. H. Hampton and J. R. Kirkpatrick, this business receiving the major part of his attention until his removal from Clay County, Tenn., to Nashville, Tenn., in February 1881, and remained in Nashville up to 1885. That year he embarked in the mercantile business with his brother, W. H. Hampton, at Springfield, the latter having been in business here for some time. His location in Springfield was an accident, for while returning home from a business trip to Texas he stopped in Springfield to visit his brother, and was so well pleased with the place that he decided to make it the scene of his future business operations. He followed the mercantile business during 1885, and in 1886 was elected probate clerk, and in 1887 started the abstract business. As he becomes better and better known his business increases in proportion, for the attributes of industry, perseverance and painstaking care are those that are justly highly regarded in business circles. He carries on his business in Room 2 of the Courthouse Annex. He is a Democrat of pronounced type, and has always taken a deep interest in the affairs of his section. He is a married man, the name of his wife having been Grace F. Perry, of Springfield, daughter of G. F. B. Perry, a merchant of Ozark. Mr. and Mrs. Hampton have one child, Georgie R., and she is a consistent member of the Christian Church.
Springfield-Greene County Library