JUDGE JAMES M. HOSEY. The gentleman whose name heads this sketch possesses that versatility, quick wit and perseverance so characteristic of his Irish ancestors, for from that country the founder of the family came in the, person of Andrew Hosey, and settled in Lancaster County, Penn. Matthew Hosey, his son, was born in Lancaster County, between 1765 and 1770, served as a soldier in the War of 1812, participating in a number of skirmishes while on the Lake Erie campaign. He became a substantial farmer of Clarion County, Penn., having moved from that region from Erie County in 1806. He became the owner of about 700 acres of fine farming land, and was deputy land agent for the Bingham Land Estate for a number of years. He was married to Jane Miller who also came of Irish stock and together they reared a family of nine children: Andrew, Isabella, Martha, Matilda, Sarah, Elizabeth, Louisa, Samuel, and Mary. Mr. Hosey died on the farm where he had labored so long and faithfully in 1843, at the age of seventy-five years, having been a prominent and respected citizen of this section and an earnest member of the Methodist Church. His son Samuel, was born in Clarion County, Penn., May 12, 1810, and in his youth attended the common schools in the vicinity of his rural home. Upon starting out to fight the battle of life for himself he followed in his father's and grandfather's footsteps, and became a farmer, eventually becoming the owner of one of the finest and most productive farms in that section of the State. He was married in his native county to Sarah Newell and to them were born seven children, four of whom lived to mature years: James M., Elcinda, Marvin M., and Benson H. At the opening of the Civil War Marvin M. joined the Twelfth Pennsylvania Cavalry and served as a private soldier two years, participating in a number of engagements. Mr. Hosey was a stanch Union man during the Rebellion, was an enthusiastic Republican and he and his wife were consistent members of the Methodist Church, in which he held various important offices. He was a man of strong convictions, his kindness of heart was proverbial and during the seventy-three years of his life naught was ever said derogatory to his honor. He died on his farm in Clarion County, Penn., in 1883. James M. Hosey, the subject of this sketch, was born on this farm, September 25, 1832, and received such education as could be obtained in the country schools, which he attended during the winter months, his summers being spent in assisting his father on the farm. He later entered Allegheny College, Meadville, Penn., from which he was graduated in 1858, after which he became principal of the Academy at West Freedom, Penn., and held the position until 1861, in which year he received the degree of A. M. from his Alma Mater. Very shortly after he enlisted in Company E., Seventy-eighth Regiment Volunteer Infantry, was elected captain by his comrades and was commissioned such by the Governor. He was an active participant in the battles of Stone River, Hoover's Gap, Missionary Ridge, and in the Atlanta Campaign at New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain and numerous skirmishes. He was also in the battle of Dalton. He was promoted to the rank of major by the petition of the regimental officers and received his commission in June, 1864. The 4th of November following he was honorably discharged from the service and returned home. He was on active duty all the time while in the service and made a faithful and efficient soldier and officer. He was in the hospital only three weeks while in the service. He was married Nov. 15, 1860, to Miss Genira Lawson, daughter of R. D. and Sybilla (Stopp) Lawson, and to their union the following children were born; Minnie T., Robert E., Matilda J., Samuel N., John C., Kate L., Annie L., Daisy and Belle. After the war Major Hosey settled in Venango County, Penn., and while there was engaged in boating oil and coal. In 1872 he came to Greene County, Mo, and the following year bought his present farm of 100 acres, which is advantageously located on Grand Prairie, eight miles southwest of Springfield. Mr. Hosey has always been a strong Republican in politics, and in the fall of 1882 his party showed its appreciation of his ability and usefulness to his party by electing him to the office of county judge, receiving a re-election two years later. He filled this responsible position with the greatest credit, discharged his duties impartially and with sound judgment, and his administration was a wise and satisfactory one. In 1889 he was elected to represent the western district of Greene County in the State Legislature and the reputation which he had previously gained as a wise and intelligent man, was fully substantiated during this time. He and Mrs. Hosey are members of the Methodist Church and he is a member of the G. A. R., Brookline Post, No. 397, in which he has held the office of Senior Vice Commander. There is not a man in Greene County who stands higher for honor and intelligence than Mr. Hosey, and it is needless to say that he numbers his friends by the score.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y
Keyword Search | Pictorial and Genealogical Home
Springfield-Greene County Library