LEWIS D. JOHNSON. For generations the ancestors of the subject of this sketch have led agricultural lives and as a follower of this calling he has been successful from a pecuniary standpoint in the conduct of his affairs, and is a liberal, generous, high-minded gentleman, whose correct mode of living has gathered about him a. large circle of friends and well-wishers. Benjamin Johnson, the grandfather of L. D. Johnson, was born in North Carolina, March 10, 1773, of Scotch-Irish lineage, and in the State of his birth was married to Mary Magothey about 1795 soon after which he moved to Giles County, Tenn., where he passed the remainder of his days on a farm. He was a man of much native shrewdness, was well educated for his day, was of strict integrity of character, industrious and hard-working. He reached the ripe old age of four-score and two years. His son, John A. Johnson, was born in North Carolina March 14, 1811, and at the age of nine years became a resident of Tennessee, in which State he obtained a common school education and was brought up to a knowledge of farming by his father. He was married in Macon County, Tenn., to Miss Nancy Ferguson, a daughter of William and Isabel (Wakefield) Ferguson, and in time their union resulted in the birth of an old-fashioned family of twelve children: Clara C.; H. L. (who died at the age of ten years); William, who died when twenty years of age; James, who died at the age of twenty-one years; Lewis D.; Agnes R.; John A. C.; Mary V.; Neil B.; S. M.; Nannie V. and an infant unnamed. In 1859 Mr. Johnson moved with his family to Texas, one year later removed to Arkansas and in 1863 to Greene County, Mo., and here settled on land now owned and occupied by his children. At the time of his location but very few improvements had been made, but by thrift and industry he eventually converted his land into a fine farm. During the great strife between the North and South, he was a strong Union man and stanch Republican, and during tile progress of the war suffered much at the hands of the bushwhackers, but upon the whole escaped remarkably well. He and his wife were for many years members of the Christian Church, in which he was a deacon and a liberal contributor. The cause of education found in him a hearty supporter and he gave each of his children every opportunity within his power to obtain a thorough and practical knowledge of the "world of books." He stood high in the community in which he resided and of him it was truly said that his word was as good as his bond. Lewis D. Johnson, his son, and the subject of this sketch, was born November 11, 1845, was brought up on his father's farm and was early sent to the district schools where he became well versed in the common branches. In 1862 he went to Arkansas as a clerk for E. C. Powell, of Van Buren, Ark., a brother-in-law, with whom he remained until 1867, when he engaged in the general mercantile business in company with O. L. King, the firm name being Johnson & King, and this business he followed successfully until 1879. In 1880, his father having died, he returned to his old home to take charge of the affairs of the estate, and has since remained in Greene County, making his home on the old farm which he is successfully engaged in tilling. During this time he has clerked in Springfield two years and has been in the grocery business two years. He is the present administrator of the estate of E. C. Powell, deceased. He has always been a Democrat in his political views and is clerk of the Christian Church in which he is an active member. He is a business man of ability and possesses the confidence of all who know him. His brother, Silas M., and sister, Mary V., remained also upon the old homestead.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y |
Keyword Search | Pictorial and Genealogical Home
Springfield-Greene County Library