ROUTT BROTHERS. These prominent and successful grocerymen of Springfield have been in business at 326 South Street for the past five years, and handle a complete and most select line of groceries and confectionery. The house is conducted in a most business-like manner and they consequently command a large and paying trade. Their stock of goods is valued at about $3,000 and comprises all kinds of fancy and staple groceries and a fine and always fresh line of confectionery, well displayed in their commodious store, the dimensions of which are twenty-five by seventy-two feet, and the annual sales amount to about $20,000. The proprietors are B. L. and F. S. Routt, and they belong to one of the old and prominent pioneer families of Springfield. Their father, John A. Routt, came to Greene County about 1859, and he and his wife are now living at 761 East Walnut Street, Springfield. F. S. Routt was born in this city in 1862 on the 11th of December, and was graduated from the High School class of 1881. He soon after began his business career as a clerk in the Post Office, where he continued to remain until he embarked in his present business, in which he has met with a greater degree of success than he anticipated. He is popular with all classes and is especially so in the social circles of the city, having many friends among elderly people as well as those of his own age. He is a Republican politically and for some time has been a member of the First Christian Church. He is unmarried. B. L. Routt, the older member of the firm of Routt Brothers, was born in Lawrence County, at Mount Vernon Mo., April 4, 1857, and was a small lad when his parents took up their abode in Springfield. Like his brother, he attended the High School of the place, and when about fourteen years of age he began clerking in a grocery store. This he discontinued in 1880 to enter the United States Mail Service, receiving the appointment of postal clerk on the Gulf railroad between Springfield and Kansas City, a position he retained until 1888, when he resigned to embark in the grocery business with his brother, in which they have met with decided and flattering success. He has always been a Republican, has been active in political matters, and has the highest regard of his fellows as a citizens He has a pleasant and comfortable residence at 153 East Walnut Street where he and his intelligent and amiable wife, whom he married in 1885, and whose maiden name was Josephine S. Wood, a daughter of the old pioneer, James G. Wood, dispense a refined and generous hospitality. To their union four children have been given : Anna Wood, born in 1886; James A.; Leonidas, who died in early childhood, and Josie. Mrs. Routt is a member of the First Christian Church.
Springfield-Greene County Library