ST. JOHN'S HOSPITAL, Springfield, Mo. This excellent institution and only hospital in Springfield was founded in October, 1892, the idea originating with the leading physicians of the place, and the charitably disposed persons of Springfield. A building lot was purchased on the corner of Washington Avenue and Chestnut Street and the Sisters of Mercy from St. Louis were invited to take charge of it, whereupon four sisters of that order came and a beginning was made. The property was put into the bands of the sisters with considerable indebtedness, but it began to receive patients from the first and a large number have entered its portals, many of whom are charity patients. Already the hospital is a public benefactor and is in a fair way to continue in a flourishing condition. In the spring of 1893 a three-story addition was made to the main building, 40x30 feet, which added considerably to its appearance as well as to its facilities. The institution is in charge of a mother superior, Sister Mary Alacoque, who understands every detail of her work most thoroughly and is admirably fitted for the position. The accommodations for waiting on the sick and injured are excellent and there is a large, light and well-appointed operating room. This establishment was one much needed in the city and it is hoped and expected that under the skillful care of the sisters, it will continue to grow and flourish and prove a boon to mankind. It is needless to say that everything about the place is kept spotless and the place is already beginning to take on a flourishing and prosperous appearance.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y |
Keyword Search | Pictorial and Genealogical Home
Springfield-Greene County Library