THE TROY STEAM LAUNDRY of Springfield is known throughout the entire southwest, and it is an undisputed fact that it is without a rival in its line of work. Although there are numerous good laundries in and around Springfield, the Troy has the largest and best patronage, which satisfactory state of affairs has been brought about by the fine quality of work done, and by the fair dealing of those in control. The building is fitted up with all the latest improved machinery, and the water used appears to possess peculiar qualities as a cleanser, facts that greatly facilitate the work, and thus further renders the house popular. It is located at 213 West Walnut Street, is a building 44xl00 feet, in which are employed about eighteen people. Although the accommodations are spacious, Mr. W. L. Hardy, the founder and manager, contemplates the erection of another building double the size of his present one. He keeps three delivery wagons constantly employed, which fact speaks in an eloquent manner as to the amount of business done. Mr. Hardy first came to Springfield in 1872, having been born in Bangor, Me., in 1840, a son of William G. and J. P. Hardy, the former of whom was a graduate of medicine, but gave his attention to the drug business in Boston, where he died some years ago. His grand-father was one of the famous soldiers of the Revolution. The early education of W. L. Hardy was obtained in the schools of his native city, and upon starting out in life for himself it was as a bookkeeper in Boston, where he continued to remain until 1866, when he came west to St. Louis, and there for two years kept a gent's furnishing establishment. He then became bookkeeper in a wholesale house of Lebanon, but in 1872 came to Springfield and here followed the same occupation for some time, and later became the manager for several business houses. In 1873 he returned to St. Louis, and after making his home there until 1886, came back to Springfield and established the laundry, of which he is now manager. He is also interested in the furniture business, and is the owner of a plant for the manufacture of furniture on one of the business streets of Springfield, but at the present time it is not in operation. Mr. Hardy has taken an active part in the affairs of the city, was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and has used all his personal influence to establish manufacturing plants and different industries in the city, and he generously gave a large amount of money for the survey of the Gulf Railroad south of Springfield. He is regarded as he finest and most successful laundryman of the Southwest, and ranks high in business and social circles. He was married in St Louis to Miss E. S. Woods, and has one child, Georgia W. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, in which he is trustee, and he also belongs to the Y. M. C. A., of which he is one of the board of directors and corresponding secretary. He is a Mason of some twenty-five years standing, being a member of United Lodge No. 5. He has a comfortable and pleasant residence at 615 Cherry Street, where he and his worthy wife dispense a cordial, yet refined hospitality.
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y |
Keyword Search | Pictorial and Genealogical Home
Springfield-Greene County Library