Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
Byron post-office, Atchison County, was established April 3, 1855, Thomas J. Jones postmaster. Byron was changed to Rockport, March 25, 1856, Isaac N. White, postmaster...(--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, 1882, p. 678.)
There is a Byron in Osage County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Center Point was located on a part of lot 1, northeast quarter of Sec. 1, Twp. 65 N, R. 39 W, by William and Harriett Roberts. McKinley Wood and Frank Bachelor built the first house, intended for a store and dwelling...The town had a post-office, two blacksmith shops, a shoemaker, a drug store and possibly one or two other business houses. These, however, were all moved to Tarkio...(--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 891.)
Center Point no longer is listed in Atchison County; Center Point is listed in Lawrence County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
In January, 1881, D. W. Moore laid out a town just across the railroad east of Tarkio, on a part of the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Sec. 14, Twp. 65, R. 45 W, and gave it the name of Christian City. No improvements, however, of a permanent character had been made...(--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 895, 896.)
Christian City is no longer listed.
Daleview was located at Sec. 31 & 6, R. 38 W. (--General Highway Map of Atchison County, issued by the Missouri Highway Commission, 11-1-66. Unless otherwise noted, all map locations are from this map.)
It is no longer listed.
Dotham (Dale Township)
The only business point in the township was Dotham, which contained a post-office, a store, blacksmith and wagon maker's shop. The first merchant, who went there and began business...was J. R. Collison, who was also the first postmaster...(--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 757.)
It was situated at Sec. 36 & 6, Twp. 64 N, R. 38 W, and Sec. 36, &1, Twp. 63 N, R. 39 W, at the junction of 46 & EE.
It is no longer listed.
El Paso, the original town of Buchanan Township, was laid out by Major John Worlen and wife...The plat was filed in the clerk's office of the Circuit Court of Atchison County, July 4, 1853. The town, which long since disappeared, was laid out at the Narrows between the Nishnabotna and Missouri Rivers, on the southwest quarter of Sec. 2, Twp. 66 N, R. 42 W and contained 27 67/100 acres...The only store in the place was finally kept by Major John Worlen. The blacksmith shop was run by a man by the name of Andrew Hawber.
El Paso was for several years, a noted trading point. Rudsill, Cooper & Co., first sold goods there. This firm was succeeded by Major Worlen, who was the company of the concern referred to. They also had a warehouse just below the site of Sacramento. This was called the Linden warehouse...The first and only post-office ever established in the township was kept by Major Worlen, in his store at El Paso. Some time after the laying out of the town the cutting through of the Nishnabotna, at the Narrows, injured the Linden landing...and a landing was established a short distance above. This was at the northwest corner of the northwest quarter of Sec. 10, Twp. 66 N, R. 42 W. A town was laid out here, and dignified by the name of Sacramento. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 873, 874.)
The change in the channel of the Missouri put an end to the importance of El Paso and Sacramento, and the laying out of the City of Hamburg, Iowa...completed their destruction...About 1872, the town of El Paso was vacated by act of the County Court and the townsite reverted to a farm owned by the widow of Major John Worley...Sacramento about the same period was also vacated and all the buildings worth moving were taken to Hamburg. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties,p. 874.)
Elk Dale (Dale Township)
There was also a post-office called Elk Dale, located near the southeast corner of the township, and at the residence of Dr. Benson Bond. His wife was postmistress... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 758.)
Elk Dale is no longer listed.
The nearest point or trading post to Waldren's Grove was English Grove, about twenty miles away... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 791.0
The Excelsior was the first mill built in Benton Township. It was erected in 1857. It stood on the southeast quarter of Sec. 21, Twp. 64 N, R. 42 W and was subsequently moved southward to Sec. 33, of the same township and range, whence, ultimately (in 1867) it was taken to Nebraska. This was exclusively a saw mill. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 633.)
Fairfax (elevation 900 feet, Clark Township)
The town of Fairfax was laid out in April, 1881, by Charles E. Perkins, on a part of the west half of the southeast quarter of Sec. 22, Twp. 64 N, R. 40 W...
The first building erected in the place was put up by F. M. Love & Company. The first bill of lumber was taken to the town June 15, 1881...
Cowen & Hitts, W. R. Walkup & Brothers, and Benjamin Ott were all early settlers...
On the 9th day of November, 1881, the town of Fairfax was incorporated...The population of the town was about 250. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 726, 727, 728.)
It is situated at the junction of J, 46 & 59.
Farmer's City was situated at Secs. 4, 5, 8 & 9, Twp. 60 N, R. 40 W, on Highway F, north of B.
It is no longer listed.
Greenville was situated at Sec. 35, Twp. 65 N, R. 38 W, in Tarkio Township.
--Map of Atchison County, bound in History of Holt and Atchison Counties.
Highway N runs along the west side of this section which is north of an extension of TT south of 136.
It is no longer listed.
There is a Greenville in Wayne County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
See York Post-Office.
Greenlee is no longer listed.
Guy was southeast of Dotham in Dale Township. (--Map of Missouri, 1911, Rand, McNally.)
It is no longer listed.
Hazel Grove was situated at Sec. 8, Twp. 66 N, R. 38 W.
--Map of Atchison County, bound in History of Holt and Atchison Counties,1882.
This section is bounded on the east and south by Highway M.
Homer Post Office (Tarkio Township)
Homer Post-Office was located on Sec. 29, Twp. 65 N, R. 39 W. Ezra D. Johnson was the postmaster. The office has been discontinued. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 896.)
This section is southeast of Tarkio and south of 136.
It was east of Rockport. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 16, by Campbell.)
Irish Grove (Clark Township)
Milton, originally Irish Grove, a name by which it is (1882) still known, is located on the northwest quarter of Sec. 9, Twp. 63 N, R. 40 W, in Clark Township. For many years Irish Grove was a regular station on the great stage and daily mail route between St. Joseph and Council Bluffs, Iowa...The locality was originally settled by an enterprising class of citizens from Ireland, among whom were Martin Murphy, Sr., and his son Martin. A post-office kept by Harvey Williams, at his residence on a farm adjoining the present town site of Milton, was established as early as 1850, under the name of Irish Grove. Williams afterwards kept a store in this house...however William R. Graves...opened at Irish Grove a store in which he sold goods for a period of two or three years. He was thus the first merchant to do business in the place...
About 1840 Dr. William Mann put up a water power saw and grist mill...on the waters of Big Tarkio Creek. Eventually the mill was acquired by John Van Gundy & Company... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 723, 724.)
Kalamazoo, an addition to Scott City, was laid out in 1865, by Stephen M. Barnes. Flack Watson built the only grist and saw mill in Kalamazoo. Fraisher & McGee were in general merchandise, half a mile north of Scott City.
Scott City and Kalamazoo are now numbered with the things of the past, having gone into the Missouri River with the treacherous banks on which they stood. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 947.)
Langdon Post Office
Langdon Post Office was established on the farm of Colonel P. A. Thompson, three miles south by east of Phelps City, and on the west bank of the Nishnabotna River. Colonel Thompson built a two-story brick mansion in 1870, at a cost of $13,000. It was the show place of the locality...A few hundred yards below the lawn was the general store of Thompson & Rulard, in which the post-office was kept. L. H. Rulard, junior member of the firm postmaster. It was established in 1880.
Other business houses were a blacksmith shop, a lumber yard, a grain elevator and stock yards... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 947.)
It is situated at Sec. 13, Twp. 64 N, R. 42 W and Sec. 8, R. 41 W of the same township.
It is a rural branch of Rockport post-office. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
A hamlet with about seventy-five inhabitants...It was the first county seat of the county, and was laid out in 1846, but after the removal of the county seat to Rockport in 1856, its trade left it and it sank into a place of little importance. (--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, Conard, 1901, Volume 4, p. 70.)
The following record appears on record in the clerk's office of the County Court:
"January 21, 1846
...The undersigned commissioners appointed to select a county seat for the County of Atchison and the State of Missouri...make report as follows: That they have selected as a site for the seat of justice for said county the southwest quarter of Sec. 34, Twp. 66 N, R. 41 W.
Joseph Walker..." The report was accepted and the town was laid out April 14, 1846...There is some question as to who built the first house in the town of Linden: Ed Hall, the father of the whiskey business in the town, also F. M. Warncastle, the pioneer attorney of the same. It is the general opinion that while Hall was the first to commence business before his building was roofed in while Warncastle...had ample time to complete his building, a log house sixteen feet square...
The first circuit court met in the Warncastle house, it being the larger of the two buildings...
The first store in Linden was started in the spring of 1847, by Nickols and Hall...Warncastle's sixteen foot square log cabin subserved, in its earlier days, many purposes. It not only accommodated the circuit court up to the building of the court house in Linden, but afforded office room for the only physician in the neighborhood, as well as for the solitary attorney for whom it was built. A shed was afterwards added for the accommodation of the grand jury...
The first postmaster of the town of Linden was A. A. Bradford, the circuit clerk...In 1869 the Linden Post Office was discontinued and for a period of ten years there was no direct mail communication with the place. At last, in 1879, a post-office to which weekly mail was established for Linden. The original name, however, was ignored and that of Magnet substituted. A. S. Jones was appointed postmaster... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 851, 852, 853, 854.)
It is situated at Sec. 34, Twp. 66 N, R. 41 W on Highway A west of 275.
Mail via Rock Port, rural; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
London Post Office (Tarkio Township)
London Post Office was situated at Sec. 12, Twp. 65 N, R. 29 W. H. J. Hendricks, postmaster. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 896.)
It was on Highway O north of 136.
Milton was laid out by John Van Gundy, Sr., and wife. On the 20th of November, 1870, there was filed in the circuit clerk's office of Atchison County, a plat of Van Gundy & Company's addition to the town of Milton in the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter of Sec. 9, Twp. 63 N, R. 30 W. On the establishment of the town in 1867, Irish Grove post-office was moved from its location about a fourth of a mile distant, and its name changed to Milton, that of the new town, in which it was located. The first postmaster appointed on this removal was C. C. Dragoo....
In 1866 Danforth & Dragoo opened the first stock of goods on the present site of Milton (1901)...(--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Volume 4, p. 389.)
The first blacksmith to work in Milton was Newt Lytle, who set up his shop in the place in 1868...
Nearly all the business of Milton has been moved to the new town of Fairfax. The only store now (1882) left in the place is carried on by Williams & Neal... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 725, 726.)
It was situated at Sec. 9, Twp. 63 N, R. 40 W on OO near C. B. & Q. R. R., east of W W.
There is a Milton in Platte Co; part of Kansas City. Also Milton in Randolph County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Muir Mill (Polk Township)
It was the only mill in Polk Township. It stood on the northeast corner of Sec. 29, Twp. 65 N, R. 41 W, on High Bridge Creek...It was first built in 1848 by Stafford & Rafferty, for a saw mill...In 1862 Godsey Stiner converted it into a grist mill and ran it for eight or ten years, at the close of which period R. V. Muir, who had been a partner with Stiner, purchased the latter's interest...In 1882, it was operated both by steam and water power...The site of the mill was about half a mile south by east of the High Bridge. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 856.)
This area is west of Rock Port.
The original proprietor of the town site of Nishnebotna, was Frederick Volker, who in 1877 located the town site on the northeast corner of the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of Sec. 3, Twp. 63 N, R. 41 W. It is on the line of the K.C. ST. J. & C. B. R. R., nine miles south of Phelps City. It is about midway between the bluffs on the east and the Missouri River on the west, and was entirely submerged during the overflow of 1881. H. Y. Lemon, emigrated from Canada in 1868, and was the pioneer merchant of the town, and also was the first postmaster. Population about twenty-five persons...(1882) (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 729.)
It is located at the junction of Z & 111.
Mail via Langdon; population 25. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.) Also Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, p. 503.)
See Scott City. Listed as such in Mitchell's Gen. Atlas, 1868, p. 15.
Oswald was in the southeast corner of the county on the county line between Atchison and Holt Counties.(--Maps of Missouri, 1884, 1911, Rand McNally.) It is not shown on the Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.
Peru Landing was near Old Sonora, Buchanan Township. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 876.)
There is a Peru in Bates County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Phelps City (elevation 895 feet, Templeton Township)
The town of Phelps City (generally called Phelps) was laid out in the month of August, 1868, by Phillip A. Thompson, Willis Phelps and Richard Buckham, on Sec. 35 and 36, Twp. 65 N, R. 42 W. It is about three miles from the Missouri River and six miles from Tarkio...During the high water of 1881 the town was entirely under water...The census of 1880 gave the population as 301.
F. M. Thompson built the first business house in the town in 1867 and was the first postmaster. The only newspaper ever published in Phelps, was the Phelps Record, a weekly paper, edited by John D. Dorpf. The first number was issued September 12, 1868, and continued only for about four months. It was a seven column folio, Republican in politics. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 945, 946; Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. 5, p. 110.)
It is situated at the junction of P & U, east of 136, west of Rock Port.
Phelps City is the post-office name; Phelps is railroad name; Also, Phelps in Lawrence Co. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Powelton Post Office (Lincoln Township)
There was a post-office called Powelton Post Office, Ed. F. Powell, postmaster. It was in Lincoln Township. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 793.)
There is a Powell in McDonald County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
This post office was listed in Mitchell's Gen. Atlas, Mitchell, 1868, p. 17. No other information is available.
Rock Port (also Rockport, Clay Township)
On the 8th day of April, 1851, the town of Rock Port was laid out by Nathan Meek, on the southwest quarter of Section 27, Township 65 N, Range 41 W, on the right bank of Rock Creek, directly opposite the site of the grist mill which he had completed in 1843...
At that period there were but two towns in the county--Linden, the county seat and Sonora, on the Missouri River--and neither of them places of much importance.
The first house erected on the town site was built in the spring of 1851 by A. G. Buddington...and occupied by him as a general store. The first drug store was started in a very early day by Dr. Richard Buskham.
The first attempt at a hotel in Rock Port was in the way of a boarding house which was first opened by Joseph Jamison...in 1857. In 1858, about the building of the above mentioned house Aquila Beck started the very first livery stable in the town...
After the removal of the county seat from Linden to Rock Port...on the 21st day of June, 1856, the new capital advanced...in importance...
Rock Port was first incorporated December 13, 1855...(--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 650, 651, 652; also Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Volume 5, p. 387.)
It is situated at Sec. 27, 28, 33 & 34, Twp. 65 N, R. 41 W, at the junction of 136, 275 & 111.
Rock Port Landing (Templeton Township)
It was below Scott City. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 947.)
Rupe's Grove was in Sections 5, 6, 7 and 8 of Township 64 N, Range 40 West, in Clark Township. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 721, 722.)
It was for the period and locality, a noted business center and important steam boat landing. It, at one time, contained about a dozen houses. The Rev. J. F. Duncan, who laid out the town, was the first to sell goods in the place...Sacramento City never had a blacksmith shop nor a post-office. A large two-story warehouse, which was built buy Jacob McKissock at El Paso Landing was afterwards moved to Hamburg, Iowa. Sacramento afforded, for some time, a steam boat landing, both for Sidney, Iowa, and for Linden, Missouri...
The change in the channel of the Missouri put an end to the importance of both localities (El Paso and Sacramento City), and the laying out of Hamburg, Iowa by Augustus Borchers in 1857 completed their destruction as business points... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 874.) See, also, the entry under El Paso.
Scott City (Templeton Township)
Scott City was located two miles west of Phelps City, on the banks of the Missouri River, in Sec. 33. It was laid out in 1856, by Margaret Scott, from Illinois...Margaret Scott built the first house in the place before 1850. D. C. Billings was the first merchant. R. V. Mure* was also an early merchant and the keeper of a warehouse at Rock Port Landing, below the town. The post-office at this place was called North Star, W. H. Hillman, postmaster. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 947.)
*Also spelled Muir.
There is a Scott City in Scott County; Scott's Corner, Audrain County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Schultz's Mill (Lincoln Township)
There was one grist mill within the limits of the township located about one mile south of the Iowa line, on the East Tarkio Creek, and was known as Schultz's Mill. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 793.)
Sonora, an ancient town of Atchison County, was laid out on the 15th day of April, 1846, by Robert Wilson. This was on the day following the laying out of Linden, the oldest town in the county. In November, 1854, John Holland and his wife, Elizabeth purchased of Hiram Rich, to whom the site had been sold by Wilson, the town of Sonora...and set apart Block No. 11, for the purpose of a public square...
The site of the town occupied the south half of Section 5, Township 65 N, Range 42 W, in what is now Nishnebotna Township, and fronted the Missouri River, where, for many years, it enjoyed the reputation of an important business point and steam boat landing...
At the March adjourned term of the county court for the year 1855, the town of Sonora was incorporated...
By the opening of Spring, 1852, A. S. Buddington opened the first store established in the town of Sonora...Sonora saw her best days in 1856, 1857 and 1858...
A large two-story frame building which had been built by a Mr. Poindexter was afterwards purchased by the district and converted into a school house...The bell of this school house once belonged to a steam boat which sunk loaded with corn, near Peru Landing in 1867...On the final abandonment of the town, which followed almost immediately after the laying out of Watson, a large two-story brick building, (which had been built by Mr. Poindexter) was taken down and the material of which it was composed sold to different parties...
The last merchant to sell goods in Sonora was Frank Rother. He closed out his stock in 1869... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 819, 820, 821, 823, 824.)
It was incorporated in 1855, and at one time was a flourishing place, but during the Civil War fell into decay and never recovered. (--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Volume 6, p. 18.)
South Blanchard and Bernice City (Lincoln Township)
These two towns were at the northern extremity of the township line and upon the line between Iowa and Missouri. North Blanchard is just north of the State line in Iowa, and South Blanchard is just south of the line in Missouri. The business all done in North Blanchard. There were, however, thirteen private residences in South Blanchard of citizens doing business in North Blanchard. North Blanchard contained a population of 550. Bernice City adjoined South Blanchard on the west, and contained a residence (Dr. F. A. Rogers) and doctor's office and drug store, kept by one Adams. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 195.)
It was situated at Secs. 32 & 33, Twp. 67 N, Range 38 W on Highway M at the Iowa State line.
South Blanchard, Bernice and North Blanchard are no longer listed in Commercial Atlas and Marketing Guide, 1978, Rand McNally.
Tarkio was laid out in August, 1880, by Charles E. Perkins on a part of the west half of the southeast quarter and the southwest quarter of Section 14, Township 65 N, Range 40 W...
Tarkio was incorporated on the 21st day of June, 1881...Some of the business houses in 1882 were restaurants, attorneys, grocers, banks, hardware, carpenters, furniture, druggists and blacksmiths. Population 482. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 891, 892, 893, 895.; Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Volume 6, p. 154.)
It is situated at the junction of Highways 59, 136 & O.
Union City, in the northeast corner of Section 5, Township 64 N, Range 41 W, was laid out by Enock D. Scammon, in July, 1865. Its site is at the base of the bluff two miles southwest of Rock Port, and about three miles east of Phelps City, on the main road between those two points. (It was thought the K.C. ST. J. & C. B. R. R. would be built through the town; instead it passed Union City three miles to the west.)
The first building in the town was built by E. D. Scammon and Pharis Milsaps, who opened a general store soon after the town was laid out...The first blacksmith shop was established shortly after the town was laid out. It was started by B. Dragoo...Among other businesses laid out in the place was a hardware and saddlery shop, by C. Morris...
The last enterprise of a business character was a saw and grist mill, of one run of burrs, built by E. D. Scammon in 1873. In 1880, the mill was moved to the vicinity of Hamburg, Iowa, and Union City drew its last breath. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 678, 679.)
There is a Union City in Stone County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Union City was a former name for Joplin. (--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Volume 6, p. 246.)
This grove was located some distance from Westboro in Lincoln Township. (Direction not given.) (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 791.)
Watson (elevation 894 feet)
Watson is now (1882) the only surviving town in Nishnebotna Township. It is a station on the K.C. ST.J. & C. B. R. R., one hundred and thirty-eight miles north of Kansas City, and eight miles south of Hamburg, Iowa. Its population is about two hundred and sixty. (1882) The town was laid out on the 1st of February, 1869, by Marion Good. The only building at that time on the town site was his residence. The first erected in the place was a small one-story frame house, fifteen by twenty feet. It was moved from Sonora by James O'Dell, and set up in Watson the year the town was laid out.
One of the earliest to settle and build in the town of Watson was Dr. J. B. Jones, who moved from Sonora on the first laying out of the former town...
On the removal of the post-office from Sonora to Watson, M. E. Hall was appointed postmaster. Watson was incorporated May 22, 1874... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 825, 826, 827.)
It is situated at Secs. 3 & 4, Twp. 65 N, R. 42 W, at the junction of A, D & BB.
It is a rural branch of Rock Port post-office. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Westboro (elevation 980 feet, Lincoln Township)
The town was laid out on part of the northeast quarter of Section 10, Township 66 N, Range 38 W, the land on which it was located being the property of Charles E. Perkins...
There was no school taught in the town...Frank Love, Esquire erected the first house in Westboro--a small board house for a grocery...
On the 10th day of February, 1882, the town of Westboro was incorporated... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 793, 795.; Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Volume 6, p. 442.)
It is situated at Secs. 15, 16, Twp. 66 N, Range 38 W at the junction of C, D & O.
York Post Office (Tarkio Township)
York Post Office at Greenlee, Fred. Greenlee postmaster. Mr. Greenlee had a store--general merchandise. The place had a school house and a blacksmith shop. (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 896.)
It is situated at Sec. 25, 26, 35 & 36, Twp. 65 N, R. 39 W east of N, south of 136.
Mail via Tarkio; no population shown. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Yorktown one of the prospective towns of Atchison County, was supposed to exist about half a mile west of the present site of Watson. It was laid out on the southwest quarter of Section 3, Township 65 N, Range 42 W, by Archibald York.
The plat of the survey of this town, which was filed in the circuit clerk's office, by W. H. Dunbar, surveyor, May 11, 1857, shows that the lots were 40 x 120 feet in size...The entire town in its best days, only contained two buildings one of which was a blacksmith shop and the other a Methodist Episcopal Church. Both have long disappeared, and the town site is now (1882) included within the limits of a farm... (--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, p. 824.)
Springfield-Greene County Library