Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
About three miles northeast of Dripping Springs was a country village called Ammon. A steam saw-mill was the principal impetus to the growth of this hamlet, which contained some 12 or 15 houses. A vast amount of lumber was manufactured at this mill, and shipped to all parts of the country. Since the removal of the mill...the place has ceased to be a point of interest and importance to the community in which it was situated. (--History of Boone County, p. 1076.) (It is no longer listed.)
D. M. and A. M. Busnam erected the first store-house in January, 1853, on what is now known as "Farmer's Corner"...The town was incorporated in May, 1877, as a city of the fourth class...The first sidewalk was built in 1880.
Its immediate situation is on the line between Secs. 10 & 15, of Twp. 46 N, R. 16 W. The first house in the town was built by Peter Nichols. (--History of Boone County, p. 633.)
Ashland, 14 miles east southeast of Columbia, had a wagon manufactory, 1 church, 1 public school, and several stores. Population was about 300 (1874). (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 72.)
It is situated on Secs. 10, 15, Twp. 46 N, R. 12 W at the junction of 63, Y & N. (--General Highway Map of Boone County, issued by the Missouri State Highway Department; 5-1-63. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.)
Bell was situated on Sec. 1, Twp. 48 N, R. 15 W near Rocheport.
Bell is no longer listed in Boone County; there is a Belle City in Stoddard County. (--Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand McNally.)
See Buena Vista.
Brown's Station (Columbia Township, now known as Brown's)
Messrs. Dysart & Henry had a very good mill near Brown's Mill, eight miles north of Columbia...There were two runs of burrs, and the grinding capacity of the mill was about 35 barrels of flour or 300 bushels of corn meal per day...The saw mill could turn off from 4,000 to 5,000 feet of hard lumber per day.
The hamlet known as Brown's Station is situated on the northwest quarter of Sec. 10, Twp. 49 N, R. 12 W, and was the leading shipping point on the Columbia branch of the Wabash Railroad, between Centralia and Columbia. Its founders were Reece, Gooding and Hubbard, the proprietors of the coal mine.
The first house was built by John W. Hubbard, and A. E. Burnham, who also owned the first store. The post-office was established in 1876, and A. E. Burnham was the first postmaster... (--History of Boone County, pp. 739, 741.)
It is situated on Sec. 3, 4, 9 & 10, Twp. 49 N, R. 12 W at the junction of 124 & HH.
Mail is via Columbia; there is a Brown's Spring in Stone County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
It was the first station north of Turner on Wabash R. R. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.)
Buena Vista (see Sturgeon)
Many years ago, a town called Buena Vista stood on the range line between Ranges 12 & 13, and between Section 6, Twp. 51 of the former, and Section 1 of the latter, the site being about halfway of the section line from north to south. The place was also called Burbonton. At one time it contained about 150 inhabitants, two stores, two blacksmith shops, a saloon, etc....It is not important that a full history of Buena Vista be given here, since the place that knew it once knows it now no more forever...
Lemuel Dill was a house-mover, and when old Buena Vista was removed to where Sturgeon now is, he moved the houses, using a huge wagon with axles and coupling pole long enough to hold a good sized house. (--History of Boone County, p. 561.)
Burlington (Cedar Township)
Dr. J. T. Rothwell, now of Ashland, claims to have been the first merchant at Burlington. He occupied the store-room later used and owned by J. W. Taggart. (now refers to 1882)
It was located on Sec. 2, Twp. 45 N, R. 13 W. (--History of Boone County, pp. 627, 628.)
There is a Burlington Junction in Nodaway County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Bush's (Rocky Fork Township)
It was located on the Columbia Branch of the St. L. K. C. & N. R. R., 6 miles north of Centralia. (--Campbell, p. 72.)
See Boonsboro. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map 19.)
Centralia (elevation 885 feet)
Centralia was laid out in May, 1857, and incorporated in 1867. It contained an excellent public school, and several private ones, 1 newspaper, ... 2 churches, ... 3 hotels, 1 wagon shop, 1 hay press, 1 lumber yard, 1 flouring-mill, and about a dozen stores. The famous "Bill Anderson Massacre", of September 28th, 1864, occurred at Centralia. Population about 700 (1874). (--Campbell, p. 71.)
It is in the northeast corner of the county. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It is situated on Secs. 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, Twp. 51 N, R. 11 W on Highways 22, 151, 124, & CC.
For an account of the Civil War and its atrocities in and near Centralia, the reader is invited to read History of Boone County, pp. 439-470, inclusive.
Claysville (Cedar Township)
P. H. Melton claimed to have put up the first store in Claysville in 1845 or 1846. He was probably the first postmaster. Claysville had for a long time been a steamboat landing...Robert B. Carter, a native of Culpepper County, Virginia, who came to Boone in 1829 first settled where, later, Claysville was established. Here he kept a wood yard for a number of years. The town was named for Henry Clay. (--History of Boone County, p. 622.) (It is no longer listed.)
It was situated on Sec. 22, Twp. 45 N, R. 12 W.
Coal Hill (Columbia Township)
It was situated on Sec. 13, Twp. 49 N, R. 12 W. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map 19.)
Coal Hill is no longer listed in Boone County; there is a Coal in Henry County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Columbia (elevation 730 feet)
The first house in Columbia was a log cabin, built by Thomas Daly, in 1820. It stood on the southeast corner of Fifth Street and Broadway. It was afterwards weather-boarded and enlarged.
The first storehouse was built by A. J. Williams, on the southwest corner of Broadway and Fifth Street...The first hotel was kept by Gen. Gentry, on Broadway in 1821...
In 1821, Columbia did not attain a greater growth than fifteen or twenty houses, all of which were mud-daubed log buildings of the smaller size, and but one story high. They were situated in a "clearing" in the midst of stumps and brush, while all around stretched a dense and trackless wilderness...
Although the county commissioners reported the removal of the seat of justice to Columbia in the spring of 1821, the actual transfer could not be made without the ratification of the Legislature, which did not assemble until the fall of that year. Courts were therefore held at Smithton (q.v.) until November 15, when the Legislature made the transfer.
Accordingly the first court was held at Columbia, on December 7, 1821...Columbia did not secure the seat of justice of Boone County wholly without effort. There was at least one other point that contested her claims stoutly and with strong prospects of success. This was near the intersection of the old "Boonslick Trace," or St. Charles Road, and Perche Creek...A town was laid out there in 1820, and called "Persia". Who chose the locality or promulgated the idea of proposing it for the county seat is unknown...
In 1820 many reasons seemed to indicate that Persia (q.v.) would grow to be a thriving and populous town, but it obtained its maximum of fiteen or twenty houses, and after the location of the county seat at Columbia, gradually declined, till it sank from existence, and is now almost wrapt in oblivion. (--History of Boone County, pp. 162, 163, 175, & 176.)
It covers several sections of Twp. 49 N, R. 12 & 13, on 70, 740, 40, 63, 763, 124.
It was the first station north of McBain on Wabash R. R. Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.
Deer Park is situated on Sec. 15, Twp. 47 N, R. 12 W on 63.
Mail is via Columbia; population 25. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
The hamlet and post-office known as Dripping Spring was on the southwest quarter of Sec. 22, Twp. 50 N, R. 13 W, and was situated about 12 miles northwest of Columbia. It derived its name from a spring near by that dripped from the rocks into a large branch which emptied into Silver's Fork of Perche Creek, about 50 rods from the spring...The place contained a store and post-office. The latter was established June 13, 1873, and Col. Garnett Duncan, commissioned postmaster...There was also near by a handsome church building with country cemetery adjoining. (--History of Boone County, p. 1025; Campbell, p. 72.)
It was 11 miles north of Columbia.(--Williams, p. 335.)
It is approximately half way between Hartsburg and McBain, near the Missouri River. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It is situated on Sec. 3, Twp. 46 N, R. 13 W at the end of Highway N, near Missouri River.
Mail is via Columbia; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
It is situated on Sec. 29, Twp. 47 N, R. 11 W at the east end of Highway H.
It is southeast of Deer Park and 3 1/2 miles south of Gimlet. (--Williams, p. 335.) Mail is via Ashland--rural; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.) It is in the southeast part of the county. Map of Missouri, 1917, Rand McNally. There is an Englewood in Jackson County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.) (Part of Independence.)
Eureka was situated in the southwest corner of the county on Sec. 36, Twp. 46 N, R. 13 W near the present site of Wilton, on the Missouri River, 20 miles south of Columbia, and contained a few stores. (--Campbell, p. 72.) Eureka is not listed in Boone County; Eureka is listed in St. Louis County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
This little hamlet was almost extinct in 1882. It was situated on Sec. 2, Twp. 49 N, R. 14 W. It was laid out in the year 1860 by Charles Sexton, a son of George Sexton, already mentioned in connection with Perchetown...In partnership with McKinney and others, he established an extensive plow factory, manufacturing the "Peeler Plows". Parks started a tobacco factory, and Dr. Dynes opened a store. There was also a planing mill for dressing lumber...In 1882 it contained a mill and carding machine, owned by Wilson Nichelson; a blacksmith shop, public school building, and church. (--History of Boone County, p. 1074.)
Everett is no longer listed in Boone County; Everett is listed in Cass County. (--Rand, McNally, 1973.)
Gimlet was located six miles east of Deer Park. Williams, 335; it is no longer listed.
Old Germantown, situated on Sec. 5, Twp. 49 N, R. 13 W, was laid off in 1858, by Schultz & Fretts, two enterprising Germans. They erected a large, substantial store building which they filled with all kinds of merchandise. In addition to the store they erected a large 2-story warehouse. They bought all kinds of produce in exchange for goods and soon established a flourishing trade...There were some six or eight buildings in all, including a shoe shop. The town was burned during the Civil War and was never rebuilt. (--History of Boone County, p. 1076, 1077.)
This town was named for Hon. John W. Hall, who kept a post-office near where the place was afterward laid out. The town was never platted. It was a cross-roads, where a store was built, and a blacksmith shop started...The first store was kept by a man named Leach. When the railroad was built the town of Hickman was platted and a depot established half a mile south of Hallsville, but the new town persistently refused to grow. In 1884 Hickman was the place where Hallsville people took and left the cars. Hallsville contained five stores (two dry-goods, one hardware, one drug and confectionery store), one harness shop and two blacksmith shops. Population was 65. There was a daily mail from the north and the south. W. W. Roberts was the postmaster. There was no church or school house in the little village. (--History of Boone County, 1116, 1117.)
It is situated on Sec. 13, 14, Twp. 50 N, R. 12 W at the junction of 124, B & OO.
This place was on the Col. Branch of the St. L. K. C. & N. R. R., nine miles south of Centralia. It was a good business point and had about 60 population. (--Campbell, 72.)
Harg is situated on Sec. 23, Twp. 48 N, R. 12 W on WW southeast of Columbia.
Mail is via Columbia; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Harrisburg (Perche Township)
Harrisburg, situated on the northwest quarter of Sec. 11, Twp. 50 N, R. 14 W in the northwest corner of the township, was named in honor of John W. Harris. It was laid off soon after the survey of the Chicago & Alton Railroad, and gave promise of soon becoming a town of considerable importance. The town prospered in anticipation of the early completion of the railroad; but, to the surprise and disappointment of the people of Harrisburg and Perche Township, the road was suddenly abandoned, but afterwards completed on a line further north...Harrisburg contained 3 stores, a confectionery shop, church, mill, blacksmith shop, a fine public school building, with Masonic Hall above. The post-office was in Gentry's saddlery shop. (--History of Boone County, pp. 1073, 1074.)
It is situated on Highways 124, E, F & J.
It is situated on Sec. 8, Twp. 45 N, R. 12 W at the southwest end of Highway A.
It is 3 1/2 miles northwest of Claysville near the Missouri River. (--Williams, p. 335.)
Huntsville (elevation 585 feet)
It is southeast of Rocheport, near the Missouri River. (--Williams,p. 335.) It is situated on Sec. 35, Twp. 48 N, R. 14 W at the end of Highway O.
It was disincorporated since 1950; mail via Columbia; population 25. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Hinton is situated on Sec. 12, Twp. 49 N, R. 13 W south of VV.
Mail is via Columbia; population 18. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Kinney was southeast of Hartsburg. (--Map of Missouri, 1917, Rand McNally.)
Lebanon (Rocky Fork Township)
The town of Lebanon was laid out on the southwest quarter of Sec. 36, R. 11 W, about 1836, by John McBride. He was the first postmaster. There was a blacksmith shop and a family grocery in the place. The first lot in the town was bought by a man named Hewlett. He paid $30 for it. He built a house on the lot and afterwards sold out to John M. McKee. There is no store or post-office there now, and the town is extinct. (--History of Boone County, pp. 1117, 1118.)
It was the first station north of Daniel on Wabash R. R. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.)
McBaine (elevation 575 feet)
It is eight miles southwest of Columbia, and southeast of Rocheport, near the Missouri River. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It is situated on Sec. 17, Twp. 47 N, R. 14 W at the west end of K.
It has been disincorporated since 1950; mail via Columbia; population 40. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
McCauly's Mill (Bourbon Township)
This mill stood on Perche Creek, on the northeast quarter of Sec. 7, Twp. 51 N, R. 13 W. It was built in the year of 1867, by John Peacher, Curtis Gentry and J. R. and H. W. Jackson... (--History of Boone County, p. 556.)
McGill was situated on Sec. 6, Twp. 48 N, R. 15 W on 40 near Rocheport.
Middletown (Rocky Fork Township)
It is mentioned on page 1105, History of Boone County.
It is no longer listed in Boone County; there is a Middletown in Montgomery County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Midway is situated on Sec. 1, Twp. 48 N, R. 14 W on 40 north of 70.
It was a post-office seven miles west of Columbia. (--Campbell, 72.)
It is a rural branch of Columbia Post-Office. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
There are Midways in the counties of Newton and Putnam. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Minnie was near the Howard County Line, 3 1/2 miles southwest of Rucker. (--Williams, 335.)
It was the first station south of Persinger on Wabash R. R. (--Map of Missouri, 1896, Rand McNally.)
Murry was five miles east of Brown's Station, northeast of Columbia. (--Williams, 335.)
It was situated on Sec. 8, Twp. 49 N, R. 11 W at the junction of HH & Z.
Nashville was laid out in 1819, just below the former site of Providence on a tract of land owned by Ira P. Nash...from whom it was named "Nashville". In 1820 Nashville contained a tobacco ware-house, kept by James Harris and Abraham J. Williams, a post-office and other buildings. It, at that time, promised to be one of the largest shipping points on the Missouri and grow to be a place of some enterprise, when the treacherous river swept it away... (--History of Boone County, p. 639.)
There is a Nashville in Barton County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
It was situated on the river alluvial lands and was a place of much forwarding and shipping. At the site of Messrs. Lamme and Keizer's paper mill, there was a stream furnishing a volume of water sufficient to drive light machinery...Immediately below this stream the road passed over a natural bridge resembling that of Virginia. (--Wetmore's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1837, p. 45.)
The Baptist Church of Jesus Christ, at New Salem, was organized on the 2nd Saturday in November, 1828, at the house of Tyre Martin...The first church was finished late in 1830, and was erected on land obtained from Peter Bass; the northeast quarter of Sec. 3, Twp. 46 N, R. 12 W... (--History of Boone County, 630.)
About the year 1836, a Mr. Woods laid off a town on Sec. 3, Twp. 48 N, R. 11 W on the east end of the township line adjoining Callaway County, which he called Boonesborough...The first merchants were Felix Bryan and W. H. Robertson. The first grocery store was built and kept by Thomas Turley, who was succeeded by Lewis Reed, Peter Kenney and J. Taylor. A store-house was also built by Newman & Kimbrough, and another by Broyles T. Taylor. There were also at Boonesborough a horse-mill built and run by Wm. James; one blacksmith shop by Durnell Bros.; and another by Walter James; a carpenter shop, by Wm. James and Lon Lewis; a carding machine built and run by James Turner, a grocery store built and kept by Arthur McLane. There was also a select school, the "Boonesborough Academy" which had for teachers from time to time, Robert Hill, Thomas Kennan, _________ Leachman, Stephens, W. H. Robertson, __________ Field, and others.
Boonesborough was in existence for about twenty years, or until 1857, when it died, or "played out", as we in the West express it. Nothing is now left to mark the site of the town but two buildings, one of which was the residence of Mr. Woods, and the other the old store-house built by Bryan and Robertson. (--History of Boone County, p. 737.) (now refers to 1882.)
On the east half of the southwest quarter of Sec. 31, Twp. 51 N, R. 12 W, where is now (1882) a cornfield, once stood a little village, called Petersburg. It was laid out in the year 1836, or perhaps in 1837, and was a noted village on Silvers Fork of Perche, at one time with a population of say fifty souls. There were two stores in the place, a mill, a tan yard, blacksmith shop, etc. Gen. Dorris, later of St. Louis, put up the first store in Petersburg...The mill at Petersburg belonged to H. Brink, who was really the founder of the little town. (--History of Boone County, p. 555.)
Perchetown, or "the town of Persia," as it is spelled in the records of deeds in the clerk's office, gave promise at one time of becoming a town of considerable importance. The town was laid off and a very comprehensive map made and entered into the record of deeds, April 2, 1821, but the entering is made in the name of the corporation, without mention of the individuals comprising the corporation. The record shows that John Lefler sold to the corporation of the town of "Persia" nine and one-ninth acres of land in Sec. 8, Twp. 49 N, R. 13 W, for which he received $91.50. Of same date, Obadiah Babbitt sold to same parties, fifty-eight acres, both trades being within the limits of the town, as shown by the map which is entered of record. It was on both sides of the Perche, situated at the point where the old Boone's Lick road, connecting St. Charles and Old Franklin, in Howard County crossed that stream. Babbitt and Ludlow threw a dam across the stream and erected a sawmill...About the year 1825, Wilfred Stephens, of Kentucky, the father of Benjamin Stephens, of this county, came to Perchetown and opened a store. George Sexton had also settled in the near vicinity of the place. He had the contract for several thousand miles of mail routes. Upon the main lines he ran stages and hacks, and the amount of rolling stock necessary to carry on his business was immense. He built carriage and repair shops, stables, sheds and granaries...but with the expiration of the mail contract and the removal of the Sextons, and the washing away of the mill, commenced the decay of Perchetown, and now not a vestige of the pretentious little village remains... (--History of Boone County, pp. 1072, 1073.)
The Town of Persia
This town, located near the intersection of the old "Boonslick Trace" or St. Charles Road and Perche Creek, was laid out in 1820. Although great expectations were held for its future, not more than fifteen or twenty houses were built.
Among the various businesses proposed for Persia, were a saw and grist mill, a brewery, distillery, carding machine, and Fulling Mill...
The saw and grist mill spoken of above was afterwards built and owned by Elisha Stanley. (--History of Boone County, pp. 175, 176, 177.)
Persia is no longer listed.
Persinger Station (Columbia Township)
Exact location is unknown, but it was the site of a large coal mine, in 1881. The mine was located in Sec. 28, Twp. 49 N, R. 12 W... (--History of Boone County, p. 739.)
It was on the Col. Branch of the ST. L. K. C. & N. R. R., 17 miles south of Centralia. (--Campbell, p. 72.) It is no longer listed.
It is south of Columbia on the Little Femme Creek. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It is situated on Sec. 18, Twp. 47 N, R. 12 W on N south of Highway K.
Mail is via Columbia; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Points was in Sec. 32 of Rock Fork Township. (--Rand, McNally, 1896.)
Poland was northwest of Centralia. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.)
It is situated on Sec. 19, 24, Twp. 49 N, R. 12 W on Highway 65 north of Columbia.
Mail is via Columbia; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
There is a Prathersville in Clay County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Providence (Cedar Township)
This village was situated on the Missouri River, in Sec. 20, Twp. 47 N, R. 13 W...The first building...was built in 1844, by John Parker, who put it up for a residence...Several other buildings were erected from time to time, and Providence became a village and post-office. As of 1882 it was not incorporated. G. S. Tuttle served as postmaster for several years. (--History of Boone County, p. 638.)
Providence is unlisted in Boone County; there is a Providence in Dunklin County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Red Top (Rocky Fork Township)
It was listed on page 1113, History of Boone County. It is no longer listed.
There was a Red Top in Webster County, near Dallas County line. (--Personal Knowledge.)
Riggs was situated on Sec. 35, Twp. 51 N, R. 13 W on an unmarked county road west of 63 north of 123.
Riggs was east of Rileysburg. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.)
It was southeast of Rucker and northwest of Riggs. (--Williams, p. 335.)
Rocheport (elevation 590 feet)
It contained 1 large tobacco factory, 1 large steam flouring mill, 3 wagon and plow factories, 1 tannery, 1 carding machine, 1 pottery, 1 bank, 12 stores, etc. Population about 1000. (--Campbell, p. 72.)
The town of Rocheport is situated on the Missouri River, at about an equal distance from Franklin and Columbia, at the mouth of the Grand Moniteau...It was located on the ground obtained under "Madrid locations" (q.v.) It comprised a tract of 191.40 acres...On March 2, 1825, one-third of the tract was sold by John Gray to Abraham Barnes and one-third to Lemon Parker and John Ward for $2000. These persons immediately laid out a town there...Eventually after a series of transactions, storehouses were established...a tavern...and several private dwelling houses were erected. (--History of Boone County, pp. 177, 178.)
As early as 1820 there was a warehouse on the present town site called "Arnold's Warehouse," which was managed by Robert Hood...The locality was also widely known as "the mouth of the Moniteau"...The Moniteau Creek (or "creek of the Great Spirit") was famed for the fish in its waters and the game along its banks.
The name of the place was first intended to be Rockport, but it was changed to Rocheport, at the instance, it is said, of a French missionary, who was in the neighborhood. The name signifies a rocky port or port of rocks, and the town ought always to have been known by the first name given it.
The first merchant in Rocheport was one Barlow, who established himself in 1830 in a log store-house on Moniteau Street. "(Another account says Barlow's store first stood at the foot of Main Street, on ground since washed away by the river.)"...
The post-office at Rocheport was established in 1832. It was the successor to Lexington, upon Thrail's Prairie, and to Booneton, kept by Wm. Lientz. Lexington was removed to Booneton in 1828, and Booneton was removed to Rocheport in 1832. The first postmaster in Rocheport was Cary Peebles...
In the year 1847 Rocheport had five dry goods stores, and several saddler, tailor and blacksmith shops, together with a large number of mechanics and persons in other branches of industry, and had a population of 450...
Between 1833-1852, Asiatic Cholera made three visits to Rocheport...and during the Civil War, Rocheport was occupied by the troops of both Confederate and Union soldiers...as well as the bushwhackers and guerillas... (--History of Boone County, pp. 998, 999, 1000, 1001.)
It is situated on Sec. 1, Twp. 48 N, R. 15 W on Highways 240 and BB.
In 1833 David S. Lamme, John W. Keiser & Co., established a steam flouring-mill at what is now known as "Rockbridge Mills." (1882) In January, 1834, this firm gave public notice that they were making arrangements for the manufacture of paper...The paper mill was owned by David S. William Lamme. John W. Keiser and Thos. J. Cox. Near the close of 1834 the mill commenced the manufacture of paper. A few issues of two Missouri papers were printed on paper manufactured at this mill, but the enterprise was not remunerative and the paper mill had but a temporary existence. (--History of Boone County, pp. 201, 202.)
There is now no Rockbridge in Boone County; there is a Rockbridge in Ozark County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
The Rockbridge Mills, situated on Sec. 7, Twp. 47, R. 12, six miles straight south of Columbia, take the name of a natural bridge spanning the Little Boone Femme Creek at the place where the mills where located. The creek sinks into the ground...about three miles above the bridge, and emerges from a cave about fifty feet above the mill. Here it passes under the natural bridge of rock about 100 feet wide. In 1876, Mr. Emmitt, the owner in 1882, built a stone wall across the side of the rock farthest from the mill. The mill was built by S. Tuttle, in 1822, and was among the first in the county...It was built of logs, and the next year broke down and was washed away. It was rebuilt by Keyser & Co., partly of logs and partly framed, and stood thus till sold to James McConally, in 1840. He made additions to it, and changed the power from water to steam, and added a distillery. About the close of the Civil War it passed into the hands of Mr. James Emmett, of Ohio. (--History of Boone County, p. 618.)
Rome was situated on Sec. 18, Twp. 50 N, R. --.
There is now no Rome in Boone County; there is a Rome in Douglas County.
It was in the northwest corner of the county, and 8 miles west of Sturgeon. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It was situated on Sec. 7, Twp. 51 N, R. 13 W at the junction of F & T.
Rutland (or Easley P.O.)
It is so designated on Map of Missouri, 1911, Rand McNally.
Shaw is northeast of Columbia near the Callaway County line. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It is situated on Sec. 6, Twp. 48 N, R. 11 W on Z north of Highway 70.
Mail is via Columbia; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
It was southwest of Columbia, 2 1/2 miles northeast of Easley. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It was situated on Sec. 26, Twp. 46 N, R. 13 W on N southwest of Pierpont.
A town site laid out by the Smithton Land Company near the site of the present city of Columbia, in 1819. The intention of the founders was to make it the permanent county seat of Boone County, but it never had more than twenty inhabitants, and in 1821, when Columbia was laid out, Smithton passed out of existence. It was named in honor of General Thomas O. Smith, then receiver of the land office at Franklin, Howard County. It was for a short time the county seat of Boone County, and the first terms of the county and circuit courts were held there. (--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. 6, p. 10.)
There is now no Smithton in Boone County; there is a Smithton in Pettis County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Stephens is located on the Col. Branch of the St. L. K. C. & N. R. R. 16 miles southwest of Centralia. (--Campbell, p. 72.)
It is situated on Sec. 16, Twp. 49 N, R. 12 W on Highway B. Mail is via Columbia; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
There is a Stephens in Callaway County; population 35. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
This is another of the defunct villages that once had "great expectations." Its site is a little over a mile above Claysville, on the Missouri River, and it was laid out in 1836, by Asa Stone and William Ramsey, Peter Wright doing the surveying. A Mark Sappington is authority for the statement that Matt West was the first merchant at Stonesport, and was there in 1830. At one time Stonesport stood a good show of being selected as the capital of the State of Missouri, but the committee chose Jefferson instead. (--History of Boone County, p. 639.)
Sturgeon (elevation 835 feet)
The town of Sturgeon was laid out in July and August, 1856, by the Sturgeon Town Company whose trustees were J. D. Patton, James E. Hicks, and Archie Wayne...Only a short distance away, on the northwest quarter of Sec. 5, Twp. 51, R. 12, the town of Prairie City was laid out but swallowed up by the town of Sturgeon, because the railroad company refused to locate a depot there...The town was named for Hon. Isasc H. Sturgeon, then superintendent of the North Missouri Railroad, and was contemplated to be a station on the railroad from the start...
When first laid out the founders of Sturgeon had in view a great future for their town. Not only was it intended to be a great railroad town and shipping point, but it was intended, and so advertised, to be the county seat of "Rollins," then in contemplation of formation. As "Rollins County" was never formed, Sturgeon never became a county capital...
It is difficult to decide whose was the first house in the town. Claib Thompson says that he put up the first building in the place, an old log cabin, which he removed from Buena Vista...
The first store was a small supply store for the railroad men, while the road was being built. In it were kept a few necessities of life such as whiskey, tobacco, etc.
The post-office was established in 1857, with Adam Goslin being the first postmaster...In the spring of 1857 a cyclone or tornado passed over the young town, and blew down several houses, among them was a new building, 50x60 feet in size, and three stories high, which was totally demolished...
The town of Sturgeon was first incorporated in the year 1859, with Housen Canada as the first mayor. (--History of Boone County, pp. 561, 562, 563, 564, 572.) See also, Campbell, 72.
It is situated on Secs. 4, 5, 8, Twp. 51 N, R. 12 W at the junction of N & CC.
It is near the Audrain County line. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It was situated on Sec. 21, Twp. 49 N, R. 12 W on Highway B south of HH. It is no longer listed.
It was the first station south of Harg on Wabash R. R. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.)
Wilhite was the first station south of Perche, on Wabash R. R. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand McNally.)
There is a Willhoit in Ozark County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Wilton (Cedar Township)
Not far north of Wilton the Missouri River had (as of 1882) made a break into Bonne Femme Creek. There were really two of these breaks, which were some distance apart. The Bonne Femme then emptied into the river, and a short distance below the river ran into the Bonne Femme again. Large quantities of earth had fallen into the river in the neighborhood of Providence and down the river, and considerable injury to land resulted. (--History of Boone County, p. 619.)
Capt. W. Feeley, a veteran of the Civil War had a general merchandise store, and was also postmaster. (--History of Boone County, p. 654.)
It is southeast of Easley and four miles north of Hartsburg. (--Williams, p. 335.)
It is situated on Sec. 26, Twp. 46 N, R. 13 W at the end of Highway M., near the Missouri River.
Mail is via Hartsburg. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Woodlandville is situated in Sec. 5, Twp. 49 N, R. 13 W, being the southwest portion of Perche Township. There was but 1 store and a blacksmith shop. The post-office was kept at the store. W. B. Campbell, proprietor of the store, kept a general assortment of dry goods, groceries and notions, and exchanged goods for produce. (--History of Boone County, p. 1077.)
Mail is via Rocheport; population 20. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Younger was a post-office 8 miles southeast of Hallsville. (--Campbell, 72.)
Springfield-Greene County Library