Auxvasse or Clinton City (now -1974 -known as Auxvasse, elev. 870 ft.)
...The town is on the edge of Grand Prairie...It was founded in 1871, by J. A. Harrison, and for some time was known as Chariton City. It had a graded school, four churches, a roller flouring mill, a bank, a hotel, extensive lime kilns nearby...and about twenty business houses, including stores of different kinds and small shops. Population 1899 (estimated) 500. (--Encyclopedia of the Hist. of MO., 1901, Conard, Vol. 1; 91.)
It is situated at the junction of 54, B & E. (--General Highway Map of Callaway Co., 6-1-62, issued by The Missouri State Highway Dept. Unless otherwise noted, all map locations are from this map.)
At an early day, Lilbourn W. Boggs, afterward Governor of the State, was traveling with a company of Frenchman, and on arriving at the stream attempted to cross. In doing so some of the train mired and were extricated with difficulty. Hence the party named it "Riviere Auxvasse (--river with miry places." The French word "vasse" meaning "muddy" or miry. The town was named from the stream on which it is located. (--How Mo. Counties, Towns & Streams Were Named, David W. Eaton. Second Article, p. 267. From a series in Missouri Hist. Review.)
It is situated on Sec. 26, Twp. 49 N, R. 8 W as the south end of Highway CC.
Mail is via Auxvasse; no population. (--Standard Ref. Guide of Mo., 1974, Rand McNally.)
C. W. Ball, portable saw mill; E. M. Bryson, physician; Peter Cristy, carpenter; R. H. Crow & Co., general store; Jiss Kate Fuls, milliner. (--Callaway Co., 169; Campbell's Gaz. of Mo., 98 N.)
Big Bee (Bigbee, see Guthrie)
Boydsville (also Boidsville)
Boydsville, settled in 1841, was 11 miles southwest of Fulton. It had one general store, one drug store, one steam saw and grist mill, one blacksmith shop and wagon shop, one carding machine. Population was about 150. (--Campbell, 98 A.)
Mail is via Fulton; no population is shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
N. G. & J. B. Caldwell, general store, stoneware and flourmill; S. P. Beaven, teacher; P. H. Howe, teacher; J. W. Love, blacksmith. (--Callaway Co. 258.)
Highway BB makes a slight turn in this section which is south of 54.
It is situated on Sec. 30, Twp. 48 N. R. 9 W, on G. M. & O. R. R. west of 54.
There is no population shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
L. S. Barnes, general store and drugs; Kennedy Dougan, flour mill; J. C. Sheppard, boots and shoes; J. M. Tate, M. D.; J. R. Wiggs, carpenter. (--Callaway Co., 259.)
See Jones' Tanyard. (--Campbell, 98 N.)
It is located at the junction of 40 and JJ.
Mail is via McCredie; population 40. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
James Allen, meat market; C. A. Davis, general store; James Douglas, blacksmith; H. S. Rice, Justice of the Peace; W. R. Smith, M. D.... (--Callaway Co., 250, 251.)
It is located on Highway H north of the junction with J.
Mail is via Fulton; population 25. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
A. W. Barman, shoemaker; W. Bliss, carpenter; L. D. Farmer, postmaster; David Kenney, hotel proprietor. These were a few of the early business men. (--Callaway Co., 161; Campbell, 98 N; Conard, Vol. 1; 59.)
It is located at the junction of 54 and 63.
It was named from the cedar trees on the bluffs near it. (--Eaton, p. 268.)
There is a Chariton in Putnam County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Clinton City (Auxvasse)
Mail is via Auxvasse; no population is shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
This area is north of B between CC & N.
Cote Sans Dessein
The commissioners to locate a permanent seat of justice for Missouri at one time looked favorably upon Cote Sans Dessein as a site for the capital, but owing to doubt as to the title of the place abandoned it in favor of Jefferson City. (--Conard, Vol. 1, 471.)
It was situated on Sec. 18, Twp. 44 N, R. 9 W at the edge of the Missouri River, south of Tebetts.
Attack on Cote Sans Dessein
The principal actor in this achievement was a Frenchman, whose name was Baptiste Louis Roi. He chanced to be in the blockhouse with only two men and two women, when the attack commenced. With the small command, he made a successful defense against a numerous and very determined band of Indians. One of the men, noting the small defensive force, was panic stricken. He devoted himself to prayer throughout the siege. The women busied themselves to cast bullets and cut patches, so as to keep up the defense in a steady manner. There were fourteen Indians killed and many wounded...The Indians made a determined effort to destroy the blockhouse. They fired arrows, with a combustive tip, which was ignited. The defenders had a limited supply of water on hand which was soon exhausted. Another flaming arrow was launched, but someone grabbed a container of milk and extinguished the flames. Still another flaming arrow was fired. It so happened that one of the women had just used the urinal, the contents of which were used to extinguish the flames. A mighty cheer arose, but the Indians were determined. Thrice did the women supply from the same fountain a fluid which extinguished the flames...At last the baffled Indians ran off, screaming a bitter howl of mingled resentment and despair. (--Callaway Co., 167, 168.)
Cynthia (See Guthrie)
It is situated on Sec. 35, 36, Twp. 46 N, R. 10 W at the junction of BB & PP.
Mail is via New Bloomfield; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It was situated on Sec. 17, Twp. 48 N, R. 10 W southwest of Eastville.
Mail is via McCredie; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Elizabeth was the first county seat. (--Callaway Co., 186.)
The Legislature of 1824 passed an act authorizing the county of Callaway to change the location of the county seat and appointed Henry May, Hans Patton and Ezra B. Sutton, commissioners for that purpose.
A jail was built in the town of Elizabeth, but no court house. The jail cost $785, and lots were sold in Elizabeth to the amount of $705.50, the money to be appropriated in the payment of same. After the county seat was changed to Fulton, the commissioners contracted with Charles Allen and Samuel Brown to remove the jail to Fulton, but before they did so, the jail was consumed by fire. (--Callaway Co., 119.)
Elizabeth is no longer listed.
Fulton (elevation 815 feet)
Fulton was originally called Volney, after a French author and infidel. The name, however, was soon changed to Fulton, in honor of Robert Fulton, an American engineer and mechanic, who was born in Little Britain, in Pennsylvania, in 1765. He was the first person who propelled a boat through the water by steam. He constructed the first United States war steamer in 1814, and died in February, 1815...
John Yates, from Shelby County, KY., came to Missouri in 1816...and began to learn the tailor trade with Donald Calgin, of St. Charles...Later he worked as a porter in Collier Company's store...Mr. Collier needed a legal paper drawn up and Mr. Yates was able to draw it up satisfactorially. Later, Mr. Collier sent a stock of goods to Elizabeth, the first county seat of Callaway Co., and sent Mr. Yates with it as first superintendent...This was the first store in Callaway County except at Cote Sans Dessein...
The first hotel log house was erected by Joseph Sitten...T. James Fisher, from Virginia, was the pioneer grocer and saloon keeper. William Coward, from Greenup, KY., was the first saddler. William Armstrong was the first tailor. Garrett Nichols, brother of Felix G. Nichols, was the first blacksmith; his shop was built in 1825. (--Callaway Co., 185, 186, 187.)
Robert and David Dunlap were born in Ireland, but came to America with their parents when they were small boys...Robert married Elizabeth Wiles...and in 1821 he and his brother removed to Missouri and settled in Callaway County. In 1825 they settled where Fulton now stands, and Robert Dunlap gave the name to the town, which for a number of years was called Bob Fulton on his account... (--Callaway Co., 174; Campbell, 98-O, 98-P, 98-Q.)
It is situated at the junction of 54, Z, 40, F & O.
Mail is via New Bloomfield; population 100. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It is situated at the junction of V & J, north of New Bloomfield.
Mail is via Fulton; population 25. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It is located on Highway C south of Fulton.
Mail is via Auxvasse. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It is situated on Sec. 15, Twp. 49 N, R. 10 W at the junction of E & N.
Hibernia or Holt's Summit P.O.
It is in the southwest section of the county. (--So designated on Maps of MO., 1911, 1917, 1925, Rand McNally.)
It is located at the junction of 54 & OO south of AA.
Named in honor of Timothy Holt. (--Eaton, 2nd article, 268.)
Jones' Tanyard (Calwood), nine miles east of Fulton, population about 50 (1874), had one store, one blacksmith shop, one Methodist Church, one merchant mill, and one saw mill. (--Campbell, 98-F.)
It is situated on Sec. 9, Twp. 48 N, R. 9 W at the junction of 54 & 40.
Mail is via New Bloomfield; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Mail is via Columbia, Boone Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
James Wise was postmaster; Wise & Co., general merchants...Tony Wilson, shoe maker; Milton Anderson laid out an addition to McCredie in June, 1880. (--Callaway Co., 259, 260; Campbell, 98-Q.)
It is north of the junction of 40 & 54.
It is a family name. (--Eaton, 2nd Article, 268.)
It is the railroad name for Kingdom City. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It had 1 Christian Church, 2 stores, 1 blacksmith shop, and 1 plow shop, 1 steam saw and grist-mill. (--Campbell, 98 F.)
It is located at the junction of J, F & WW.
Mail is via Fulton; population 40. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It was named by Thomas Miller, for Millersburg, Ky., as he stated. (--Eaton, 2nd Article, 268.)
Mokane (elevation 530 feet)
It is situated on Sec. 7, Twp. 45 N, R. 8 W at the junction of C & 94, near Osage River.
Mokane , town on the MO., Kan., & E. R. R., the name being a portion of each of these names. (--Eaton, 2nd article, 208.)
There is a Musick Ferry in St. Louis Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
C. Brooks was physician; N. G. Caldwell, grist and saw-mill; R. R. Dunn, Justice of the Peace; J. B. Holt, constable; Woodson Lynes, general store and hotel; D. M. Tucker & Co., general store. (--Callaway Co., 162; Campbell, 98-S.)
It is located at the junction of 54 & Y between North Jefferson and Fulton.
It was laid out in 1836 by Enoch Murray and named Bloomfield, but there being another town of that name in the State, "New" was prefixed. (--Eaton, 2nd Article, 268.)
It has no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
The pioneer merchant was Mr. Debo, who soon after opening his store, was sold out by the sheriff, for debt. The next merchant was K. G. Boon, who was the first postmaster...The town contained a population of 203 in 1880...
The shipments of the town consisted of leaf tobacco, hogs, grain and ties... (--Callaway Co., 146.)
In 1874 the population was about 250; it had 2 stores, 1 furniture store, 1 jewelry store, 1 blacksmith shop, and 1 tobacco factory. (--Campbell, 98-S.)
It is located at the junction of 94 & D, near Osage River.
In 1874, the population was 40. It had 1 steam saw and grist mill, and 1 large pottery capable of turning out about $17,000 worth of ware per annum. (--Campbell, 98-S.)
Pottersville is no longer listed in Callaway Co.; there is a Pottersville in Howell Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It had 1 dry goods store, 1 saddle and harness shop, 1 blacksmith and 1 wagon shop, and 1 physician. (--Campbell, 98-S.)
It is located at the junction of D & K, west of Montgomery County line.
Mail is via Portland; population 20. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
In 1874 the population was about 50, and had 2 stores, 1 blacksmith shop and wagon shop, 1 steam grist and saw mill. It had 2 Methodist Churches and 1 Christian Church. (--Campbell, 98-S.)
It is located on DD south of O.
Mail is via Steedman (--rural; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
St. Aubert (formerly Smith's Landing), on the Missouri River 15 miles south of Fulton, was settled in 1820 by Thomas Smith; population about 100 (1874) and had 2 stores, 1 blacksmith and wagon shop. (--Campbell, 98-S.)
St. Aubert is no longer listed in Callaway Co.; is listed in Osage County; mail via Chamois--population 30. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It was settled in 1859, and had 1 general store, 1 blacksmith and wagon shop. (--Campbell, 98-S.)
It is located in the northeast corner of the county on B south of the junction with N.
Mail is via Montgomery City--rural; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Named for the National Emblem of the Irish. (--Eaton, 2nd Article, 268.)
It is situated at Sec. undetermined, Twps. 45/46 N, R. 8 W at the junction of DD & 94.
It is a family name. (--Eaton, 2nd Article, 168.)
Stephen's Store (now Stephen's)
J. W. Dean, general store; L. Ekly, sorghum manufacturer; S. G. Kelly, blacksmith; Amos Kestler, carpenter; Wm. McCowan, saloon; E. H. Peck, general store; Robinson Bros., general store. (--Callaway Co., 153; Campbell, 98-S.)
It is located on an unmarked county road north of Lindberg and I-70.
Mail is via Columbia. Population 35. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Named for the proprietor. (--Eaton, 2nd Article, 268.)
It is situated on Sec. 32, Twp. 44 N, R. 9 W on 94.
It was located on R. F. D. from Fulton. (--Williams, 343.)
Toledo is no longer listed in Callaway Co. There is a Toledo in Ozark Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It was 8-3/4 miles south of Martinsburg. (--Williams, 323; 343.)
Venice no longer listed in Callaway Co. There is a Venice in Shannon Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
It is situated on Sec. 21, Twp. 48 N, R. 7 W on 40 west of Montgomery County line.
It was named for Harvey Williams. (--Eaton, 2nd Article, 248.)
It was 5-3/4 miles east of Murry, Boone Co. (--Williams, 343.)
It was situated on Sec. 2, Twp. 49 N, R. 11 W.
It was situated on Sec. 7, Twp. 47 N, R. 7 W on D between Readsville and 40.
Callaway County Table of Contents
Local History Home