A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Carroll County, Missouri
Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
 Aalberg Aalberg was located at Sec. 28, Twp. 54 N, R. 21 W on the B & N R. R., south of Highway A. (--General Highway Map of Carroll County, issued by The Missouri State Highway Department, 4-1-66. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.) Alderton One of the lost cities of Carroll County, a proposed city in the northwest quarter of Section 16, in Congressional Township 51, of Range 24. A plat of this town was filed February 3, 1843, by J. T. Kelly and Paul Alder, who were the promoters of the enterprise...
No permanent improvements were made on this site, which was subsequently washed into the Missouri River, the original town site having been only two hundred and one rods from the river bank. (--Turner, p. 133. Vol. 1.)
Note: A rod is a measurement of length -- 5 1/2 yards or sixteen and one-half feet. (--Webster's New International Dictionary.)
Asper On the north line of the county, in the northeast quarter of Sec. 4, Twp. 55 N, R. 23, the town of Asper at one time, consisted of a general store, a blacksmith shop and a post-office. The discontinuation of the post-office dissipated the trade and the town was entirely abandoned. (--Turber Vol. 1, p. 132.)
The post-office was discontinued pre-1905. (--General Scheme of Missouri, 1905, Taft, p. 18. This publication was for the use of Railway Mail Clerks.)
There was an Asper in Section 17, of Fairview Township, Livingston County. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map 18.)
Baileyville July 10, 1856, Bailey Elder caused the town of Baileyville to be platted in Section 21 of Fairfield Township. According to the records as found in the recorder's office this town was composed of six blocks of six lots each, the lots to be sixty-six by ninety feet. There never were any improvements made upon this location. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 151, 152.)
Baileyville, 18 miles northwest of Carrollton, had a few houses. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 113.)
Baum's Mill (Combs Township)
Baum's Mill was located on Big Creek near the center of Section 15, and for a number of years was the only mill around and did a thriving business. At one time it was hoped a town could be situated at this point, and on July 25, 1859, Joseph Smith made a survey and plat of the town of "Millford" for Absolum Taggart, who owned land in the southeast quarter of Section 15. The town of Millford located near the northwest corner of the section and embraced seventeen lots; only a few of these lots were ever sold, and, with the exception of the mill and one store, no other improvements were ever made and the town site has long since been abandoned. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 103, 104.) Bingham A post-office was established at Bingham in the center of Section 8, Trotter Township. This town, however, like many another cross roads store, was killed by the establishment of the rural free delivery, and even now -- 1910 -- is scarcely more than a memory. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 137.)
Bloomfield (Eugene Township)
During the year 1818, the town of Bloomfield was laid out in the forks of Wakenda Creek, on the southwest quarter of Section 7, Eugene Township. The town, however, was never established on a satisfactory basis, and no trace now remains. A store was kept here at one time by Lewis N. Russ. Owing to the unhealthful atmosphere, the town was abandoned. Many people developed chills and fevers, such as ague and malaria type diseases. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 100, 101.)
There is a Bloomfield in Stoddard County. (--Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand McNally.)
Bogard (elevation 860 feet)
On Monday, August 4, 1884, on petition of H. C. Brasher and some twenty others the metes and bounds are described as Southeast one-fourth of Southwest one-fourth Section 30 and Northwest one-fourth of Northwest one-fourth, Section 31, and west one-half Northwest one-fourth, Southeast one-fourth, Section 3, and west one-half Northwest one-fourth, Section 31, all in Township 54, Range 23, and same is incorporated under the name and style of "the inhabitants of the village of Bogard."
The town is located almost in the center of the county, upon a high rolling elevation...It had one newspaper, a bank and mercantile establishments representing all kinds of trade... (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 126.)
(--See, also, Campbell, p. 114; Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol, p. 310.)
It is situated at Sec. 30, Twp. 54 N, R. 23 W on A west of 65.
Bogard's Mound The eminence, Bogard's Mound, was located at Section 25, Twp. 54 N, R. 24 W. New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map 18.)
Bosworth (elevation 729 feet, Ridge Township)
August 5, 1890, on petition signed by J. D. Rose and some sixty other men the town of Bosworth was incorporated under the name and style of "the inhabitants of the village of "Bosworth", all in Section 26-54-21. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 105.)
It is 12 miles northeast of Carrollton. It was laid out and first settled in 1888. It had a public school, Baptist and Methodist Episcopal Churches, a bank, flour mill, saw mill and handle factory, a newspaper, the <i>Sentinel</i> and about thirty other business enterprises, large and small. Population 1899 (estimated, 600). (--Conard, Vol. 1, p. 334.)
It is situated at Secs. 23, 26, Twp. 54 N, R. 22 W at the junction of M & 139.
Bowdry Bowdry was in the southwest section of the county, six miles south of Carrollton. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, Walter Williams, p. 349.)
It was situated at Sec. 30, 31, Twp. 52 N, R. 23 W on Highway 65/24, north of the Missouri River.
Bridge Creek (Hurricane Township)
Bridge Creek was one of the first post-offices established in this township and was located about midway between where Hale and Tina were located.
In its day of prosperity this town boasted of a dry goods store, drug store, blacksmith shop, one church building and seven residences, but was abandoned upon completion of the railroad, Bridge Creek Station being the railroad stopping place about one-half mile north of where the town of Bridge Creek stood. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 108.)
It was a post-office 21 miles north, northeast of Carrollton. (--Campbell, p.114.)
Buckskin Tavern It was located near the center of the north half of Section 7 of Leslie Township, about one mile northwest of where Mandeville now stands. The old tavern was a famous stopping place in its day on the main road from DeWitt to Far West and was known for miles because of the hospitality and generosity of its proprietor. It was operated by James Morris, one of the earliest settlers. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 137, 138.)
Calvin Calvin was in the southeast section of the county, south of Wakenda near the Missouri River. (--Williams, p. 349.)
Carrollton (elevation 680 feet)
Carrollton, the county seat of Carroll County, was named in honor of the town which furnished the renowned signer of the Declaration of Independence...
In December, 1833, the county court "ordered that the plat furnished for inspecition be received as a suitable plan to lay off the county seat of Carroll County..."
The reason for the selection of the west half of the southwest quarter of Section 32, Twp. 53 N, R. 23, for the county seat has never been explained within the memory of the present generation unless it was that the site was the only one offered free of charge. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 117, 118.)
John Standley was the first settler, made the first improvements, and donated the site for the courthouse. George W. Folger, who located there in 1832, was the first physician, and the first school teacher was Mrs. Nancy Folger. Joseph Dickson was appointed the first postmaster in 1834. The town was laid out in 1833, incorporated in 1847 and the charter under which it now operates bears the date of March 20, 1871. (--Conard, Vol. 1, p. 501.)
It is situated at the junction of 65, 10 & E.
Carroll City September 7, 1857, William Hill, as president of the Carroll City Town Company, filed a plat of the proposed town which was located upon and occupied all of the southwest quarter of Section 26, in Wakenda Township. The plat embraced thirty-six full and twenty fractional blocks, with a center block reserved as a public square. From the size of the town plat it is evident that the promoters of the enterprise entertained very high aspirations and expected that Carroll City would be the metropolis of Carroll County. But nothing resulted from these anticipations and nothing remains to show where Carroll City was located and at this time almost the entire quarter section is in the river. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 113.)
Clione (Hurricane Township)
The town of Clione was located in the southwest corner of Section 1 and the northwest corner of Section 12 in Hurricane Township, but enjoyed only a few years of life as it was founded only a short time before the town of Halle was started, and Hale, being on the railroad outstripped it in its growth. The town of Clione was platted November 1, 1882, by James Kennedy and William Wiley Deardoff. It comprised eight blocks, each block being two hundred feet north and south, with a sixty foot street. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 108.) Coloma The town of Coloma is located in the east half of the southwest quarter of Section 31, therefore being in the extreme southwest part of the township. It was platted March 2, 1858, by Mathew (sic) B. Mullens...For a time the growth of Coloma seemed to indicate that it would be a thriving village, and on February 7, 1859, Mr. Mullens platted what is known as Mullens Addition.
The first improvement in this town was a blacksmith shop, erected by D. R. Bartlett.
While the town always was and still is a good trading point, (1910) like the other small towns of the county, it suffered on account of the construction of the Chicago, Burlington and Kansas City Railroad, and for the last few years has not grown to any extent.
In addition to the two regular stores, it had a blacksmith shop, a school and two churches. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 121, 122.)
It is situated in Stokes Mound Township, at Sec. 31, Twp. 54 N, R. 23 W on Z south of T.
Mail via Bogard; population 35. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Cotter Cotter was located at Sec. 4, 5, 8 & 9, Twp. 54 N, R. 23 W on the B & N R. R. west of 65.
DeWitt (DeWitt Township, elevation 650 feet)
Tradition tells us that in the early days the town of Elderpost was platted on the spot where the town of DeWitt is now built, but no dates are preserved as to the arrival of the promoters of the town or its settlement. Eli Guthrie was at the head of the enterprise and in 1837 disposed of his interest in the town to Henry Root, who continued the sale of lots...
John Jones located in 1821 where the town now stands, Jonathan Eppler having the only residence in the place. Eppler established a landing place on the Missouri River which was known as the Eppler's Landing. John Milligan located in 1831, building a house and opening up the first stock of goods...
For several years improvements were made slowly...but in 1851 the town site was bought by a company called the DeWitt Town Company and the city was changed from DeWitt to Winsor City in honor of one of the trustees...
On July 8, 1856, the citizens of the town of Winsor City presented a petition, signed by a majority of the taxable inhabitants thereof praying that the town be incorporated under the name and style "of the town of Winsor City." The town then was re-incorporated under this act...For some reason the company did not meet with the success they anticipated and the town site passed out of their control, the name being again changed to DeWitt. Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 95, 96.; (--Campbell, p. 114.)
It was named for DeWitt Clinton, former Governor of New York. (--How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, Eaton, p. 271.)
An incorporated town located on the Missouri River and Kansas City Branch of the Wabash R. R., seventeen miles east of Carrollton. It had a graded school, a church, a saw mill, stave factory, large-sand stone yards, a hotel, a weekly newspaper, the <i>Farmer's Herald</i> and about a dozen stores and shops in different lines of trade. Population, 1899 (estimated) 600.
It is situated at Sec. 24, Twp. 53 N, R. 21 W southeast corner of the county on 24 east of 411.
Elderpost See DeWitt. Eppler's Landing See DeWitt. Eugene City See Wakenda.
Eugene City (Wakenda) on the St. L. K. C. & N. R. W. seven miles east of Carrollton had a population of about 100. (--Campbell, p. 114.)
There is a Eugene in Cole County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Fisher (Hill Township)
A store and post-office at one time made up the settlement called Fisher. The free mail delivery, however, caused the abandonment of the post-office and the store was soon thereafter discontinued. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 142.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 18.)
Grace A store and formerly a post-office in the northeast corner of Stokes Mound Township was known as Grace. The town was never platted and contained but one store, a schoolhouse and a church building. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 132.)
It was situated at Sec. 1 & 2, 11 & 12, Twp. 55 N, R. 23 W on J east of 65.
Hale (elevation 770 feet, Hurricane Township)
The town of Hale was located by the Town Lot Company of the Chicago, Burlington and Kansas City or Burlington & Southwestern R. R., when the road was built into Carroll County and was named in honor of Congressman John B. Hale of Carrollton...
March 4, 1884, on petition of some fifty citizens of the village of Hale City, the metes and bounds of the city as commencing at the southwest corner of Section 2, north 160 rods, east 160 rods, south 80 rods, east 80 rods, south 80 rods, west 240 rods to the beginning all in Township 55, Range 22 (sic). It was incorporated under the name and style of "the inhabitants of Hale City."
James B. Hooper and four others were appointed trustees. At this time (1910) Hale supports three banks, churches of all the leading denominations and mercantile establishments representing all lines of trade which carry large and valuable stocks of goods.
The original town of Hale as platted by C. E. Perkins embraces thirteen full and fractional blocks lying north of the railroad. This plat was made November 20, 1883. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 108, 109.)
It is situated at Secs. 2, 3, 10 and 11 in Twp. 56 N, R. 22 W at the junction of 39 & J near the Livingston County Line.
(--See, also, Conard, Vol. 3, p. 148.)
Hill's Landing Hill's Landing was a warehouse on the Missouri River seven miles southeast of Carrollton. (--Campbell, p. 114.) Hurricane Hurricane was located at Sec. 35, Twp. 59 N, R. 22 W in Ridge Township. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map 18.) This area is south of Bosworth.
There is a Hurricane in Bollinger County; Hurricane Deck in Camden County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
 JuddJudd was located on Turkey Creek near Ray County Line, on R. F. D. from Norborne. (--Williams, p. 349.) Latch For a number of years a post-office and store were maintained in the southwest quarter of Section 6, Township 55, Range 23 under the name of Latch, but both of these conveniences have been discontinued. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 132.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 18.)
Leta (Combs Township)
The post-office formerly known as Leta has been discontinued for several years, its patrons now (1910) being served by the rural routes out of Carrollton, Wakenda and DeWitt. A store was still maintained at the old location on the southest corner of Section 26. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 104.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 18.)
Mail via Carrollton--rural; no population shown. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Little Compton (Hurricane Township)
Col. W. W. Compton started a town in Section 16 near Grand River, which was to be known as Little Compton, but for some reason the town did not prosper, and on October 16, 1869, Lewis Comer platted a town which he called Little Compton on Section 20. This town consisted of six blocks of three lots each, each lot being sixty-nine by one hundred sixty feet...For years this was the only town or post-office in the township, but, on account of its circumscribed territory was never prosperous, and the building of the railroad was very detrimental to its life. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 112.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 18.)
Little Compton, on the Chariton River, 23 miles northeast of Carrollton had one mill and a few stores. (--Campbell, p. 114.)
It was situated at Sec. 20, Twp. 55 N, R. 21 W south of HH.
Mandeville The village of Mandeville is located in Section 7 of Lelsie Township...While Mandeville has never been organized as a town its history can be dated back to 1854, when John W. Smith and Robert Traughber petitioned the government for a post-office with Mr. Smith as postmaster, giving to the office the name of Mandeville. Why this name was adopted is only a matter of conjecture, some supposing it to have been named in honor of Amanda Shirley, of Tennessee, who was betrothed to Mr. Traughber. The name is also attributed to a somewhat ludicrous incident which is said to have happened in that neighborhood about the time the post-office was established.
It seems that an old German resident of the neighborhood, had a daughter, Amanda, who had a suitor acceptable to the mother and daughter but not acceptable to the father. The old couple quarreled about the matter, and the father, declaring in his vehemence, and German accent and pronunciation, "Mandy vill not marry John," while the mother, equally determined declared, "Mandy vill." Mandy did and hence the office was christened "Mandeville."
No plat has ever been recorded of the town above, the transference of property being described by metes and bounds of the section in which the town is located. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 140, 141. Also, Campbell, p. 114.)
It is situated at Secs. 8 & 17, Twp. 54 N, R. 24 W on T north of A.
Mail via Bogard--rural; no population shown. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Manlius See Pleasant Park.
Miami Station (Miami Township)
Miami Station was located on the northeast quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 4, and was platted June 1, 1869, by William Z. Darr...When the Wabash Railroad was built in 1868 and 1869, the travel and business from Saline as well as Carroll County, seemed to indicate that Miami Station would be a good shipping point, for at that time Saline County had no railroad. With the building of the railroad through Saline County, however, much of this trade was taken away, and for the last twenty-five or thirty years (from 1910) this station has not enjoyed its former business.
The town was incorporated, however, September 9, 1877. The first trustees were L. H. Shipp, C. R. Underwood, B. H. Poe, George Walden and S. P. Squires. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p.93. Also, Campbell, p. 114.)
It was so named because it was the railroad station for the town. (--Eaton, p. 27.)
It was situated at Sec. 4, Twp. 52 N, R. 21 W on V and the Norfolk & Western Railroad.
Miles Point January 1, 1855, Jonathan Miles, one of the pioneer settlers and early business men of Carrollton, platted the town of Miles Point, near the center of Section 16 within about 600 yards of the Missouri River. The plat embraced sixteen blocks of eight lots each, the blocks being two hundred feet square, with a block reserved as a public square.
It is evident that Mr. Miles had in mind the founding of this town nothing more than to provide shipping facilities by river for the thriving community in which it was located, and for a long time after its founding it enjoyed a large river trade, being known at that time and ever long after as "Shanghai." Tradition says that this name of Shanghai was given to the town by reason of the importation, at one time, of a large consignment of chickens of this breed... (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 144.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 18.)
It was a post-office and trading point on the Missouri River four miles south of Norborne. (--Campbell, p. 114.)
It was situated at Sec. 16, Twp. 51 N, R. 25 W east of the south end of FF.
For another "Shanghai" in Missouri, the reader is invited to consult the Directory of Johnson County, Mo., Moser; see under Cornelia.
Millford It had a flouring and saw mill, etc. (--Campbell, p. 114.)
See Baum's Mill.
There is a Milford in Barton County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Moberly's Landing Moberly's Landing was on the Missouri River, ten miles southeast of Carrollton. (--Campbell, p. 114.) Moscow On the southeast quarter of Section 7 in that part of Sugar Creek Township belonging to Congressional Township 51 or Range 23, the project of a city to be built and named for Russia's famous capital was conceived by one of the early settlers of the community. At this time, 1910, there is no record to show the size of the contemplated city nor the number of blocks embraced within its bounds and if any improvements were ever made in this city no one can now recall of what they consisted. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 123, 124.)
New Winchester Tradition tells us that the town of New Winchester was to be located on Section 6 or 7, Egypt Township. One building was put, a post-office was established and a stock of goods placed on sale. For a few weeks at least, a magnificent city was booming in the brains of the proposed founders. Broad avenues, driving parks and all the necessities and luxuries of the cities of the far east were to spring up as if by magic. But at the moment when last expected, and least prepared, the vision fades and the city dwindles from the mind like a dream. New Winchester was not built, and is therefore, one of the lost cities of Carroll County.
The facts of New Winchester, as near as we can learn, are that the town was located near the centre of the south line of Section 5. Here Lafayette and William Quarlies with Mack Jacobs conducted a general store and Jim Lakey ran a blacksmith shop... (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 149.)
Nimrod Within a fourth of a mile of the west line of the county, was the station of Nimrod, on the Wabash and Santa Fe Railroads. No stores were located here, it being only a block signal station, with an elevator and stock pens and it furnished shipping facilities within easy reach of a wide scope of farm lands. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 149, 150.)
Norborne (elevation 715 feet, Egypt Township)
The town of Norborne was located in 1868 upon the building of the North Missouri Railroad on the south sixty acres of the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 23 and was named for Norborne B. Coats, one of the promoters of the town.
The first dwelling house in the town was built by Harvey McCoy and the first stock of goods was opened by January & Snoddy.
J. N. Cunningham taught the first school in the Lutheran Church, and the first school building ess erected in 1873, at a cost of one thousand dollars. The first religious services in the town were held in the railroad station house by Catholics.
April 20, 1874, the town of Norborne was incorporated, including within its boundaries the northwest quarter of Section 23, the north half of the north one-half of the southwest one-fourth, and the west half of the northeast one-fourth of Section 23, all in Township 52, Range 23...
The plat of the original town was filed for record April 8, 1874, by John Dieterich, the owner of the town site. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 147.)
It is situated at Sec. 22, 23, Twp. 52 N, R. 25 W at the junction of 10 & DD.
North Bosworth (Ridge Township)
February 21, 1888, a company composed of J. T. Brown and others platted North Bosworth in the southeast quarter of Section 23, and adjoining the town of Bosworth on the north. Some permanent and valuable improvements were made in North Bosworth, but the influence of the Santa Fe Town and Company, and the large number of lots which they had for sale closer to the railroad station proved to be more than this company could contend with and as a business location the town of North Bosworth was finally abandoned and is now recognized as a residence district of Bosworth. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 106.) Ohio The city of Ohio was one of the first projected in Carroll County, having been platted by Benjamin Foster, May 22, 1837, on the northeast fractional quarter of Section 20, all of which is now in the Missouri River...
What were the aspirations of its founders, it is impossible at this time to say, but from the site of the proposed city, it is presumed that he had strong hopes of a magnificent center of trade. It is impossible to say now--1910--however, anything of the extent of the improvements of this place, but the records do not disclose that there was ever any great rush for town lots. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 144, 145.)
There is a town in St. Clair County by the name of Ohio. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Palemon (Moss Creek Township)
Palemon was a station with stock pens and an elevator on both the Wabash and Santa Fe Railroads. It made a good shipping point. At this point there was no post-office, and no stores. A box car depot and a school house, in addition to the stock pens and elevator made up the business section of the town. (--Turner, Vol, p. 136.)
Pleasant Park (Manlius)
It was a post-office three miles north of Miami Station. (--Campbell, p. 115.) Plymouth The town of Plymouth is one of the oldest trading points in Washington Township, and is located upon high rolling prairie in the southwest quarter of Section 3.
The town was platted August 2, 1881, by James Fash, and cosists of three blocks, which are divided into twenty-three lots of various sizes and dimensions...and is a thriving little trading village and trading point. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 153.)
It is situated at Sec. 3, 4, 9 & 10, Twp. 55 N, R. 25 W at the junction of N & D. Mail via Braymer--rural; no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Quote (Washington Township)
Quote was a little country store and trading point at the corner of Sections 26, 27, 34 & 35. It had neither been platted nor incorporated, but furnished the necessities of life to residents for miles around. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 153.)
It was situated at Twp. 55 N, R. 23 W on C east of D.
Reedsburg Among the early towns in the county was Reedsburg, a town located at Hill's Landing. James and David Reed, in whose honor the town was named associated themselves with others for the purpose of promoting this enterprise. Some improvements were made in this place, and a store was established, but the site was soon abandoned and within the memory of the oldest inhabitants the site of Reedsburg has been unknown. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 113.) Ridge Ridge was a post-office fifteen miles northeast of Carrollton. (--Campbell, p. 115.)
Riverside (Eugene Township)
At one time a post-office and store was maintained in Riverside in the southwest quarter of Section 4, Township 51, Range 22 but both have been discontinued for several years (as of 1910.) (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 101.)
Roads (or Rhoads)
The town of Roads (or Rhoads) as it is sometimes spelled is at the corner of Sections 21, 22, 27 and 28, and is a small inland village, consisting of two general stores and a blacksmith shop. A school house and a number of dwelling houses also were there. It is located about twelve miles from Norborne, the railroad station in the county, and about the same distance from Braymer, in Caldwell County. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 182.)
It is situated in Twp. 54 N, R. 25 W at the junction of A & D.
Mail via Norborne--rural. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Round Grove (Moss Creek Township)
Round Grove was the first post-office of the township. A. C. Blackwell was the postmaster. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 134; exact location is unknown.)
San Francisco A plat for the city of San Francisco was filed for record April 20, 1858, and the street and alleys dedicated to public use by Jojn Dorsey, who owned the town iste in Section 7, Township 54, Range 23.
According to the plat, the city contained nine blocks of eight lots each, and having been located so near to the town of Coloma, in Stokes Mound Township, it is suggested that perhaps it was intended that San Francisco should be a rival of Coloma for the business of north central Carroll.
Curskey & Darcey conducted a grocery store in this city and Jacob Hoover was the village blacksmith. So far as we have been able to learn these were the only mercantile ventures made in the town. When, in after years it became evident that Coloma would be the trading point San Francisco ceased to grow and the town lots were turned again into farm property. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 127.)
Shanghai See Miles Point.
See, also, Shanghai (Cornelis) in Johnson County. (Moser)
Shootman Shootman was a small trading point nine miles northeast of Carrollton. (--Campbell, p. 115.)
South Carrollton (Wakenda Township)
When the North Missouri Railroad was located in 1868, Hiram and Jackson Wilcoxon platted the town of South Carrollton. As this was the shipping point of the county seat and located a mile from the town, it was presumed by the promoters that a good town could be maintained at this point. For a few years the town thrived...and it has at all times supported at least one store in addition to the elevators which have done a more or less thriving business at all times.
On January 3, 1870, the town of South Carrollton was incorporated and in its boundaries all of the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of Section 8 which lies north of the railroad and part of the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 5. Asa Mayfield and four others were appointed trustees...
August 3, 1903, J. P. Huffman and other citizens presented to the county court their petition praying for the disincorporation of the town because of the failure of the qualified voters of said town to elect village trustees, and that said electors have failed for more than ten years to maintain a municipal government. Upon this petition the town was disincorporated and dissolved. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 113, 114.)
Standish (Carroll Township)
About four miles east of Carrollton, on the Santa Fe Railroad, was the station of Standish. The town was never incorporated and never platted, but contained the store, blacksmith shop, elevator, stock pens and station house and a collection of residences and a probable population of fifty or sixty. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 124.)
It was situated at Sec. 24, Twp. 53 N, R. 23 W on CC east of 65.
Stet Stet, meaning "let it stand," was named by Ed Manus, a Stet storekeeper. It is located on the Ray-Carroll County line...
In 1910, Stet was a thriving community with two general stores owned respectively by the Dorsey Brothers and Joe Stratton... (--History of Ray County, 1973, C. used by permission of the Ray County Historical Society, Richmond, Missouri.)
It is situated on the Carroll County line at Sec. 1 & 12, Twp. 53 N, R. 26 W in Ray County.
It is situated at Sec. 6 & 7, Twp. 53 N, R. 25 W in Carroll County, at the junction of JJ & K.
Stet is now listed in Carroll County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974; Zip Code 64680.)
Stokes Mound Stokes Mound was a post-office 17 miles north of Carrollton. (--Campbell, p. 115.) Sugar Tree The thriving little trading point called Sugar Tree was located near the center of Section 33 in Moss Creek Township. It had never been platted or incorporated under the laws of Missouri. It drew a good trade, and for years supported two stores and two blacksmith shops, having in addition a good country school and a church close by. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 135.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 18.)
It was situated at Sec. 33, Twp. 52 N, R. 25 W north of the Missouri River.
Tina (elevation 720 feet, Stokes Mound Township)
The town of Tina, located almost in the southeast corner of the township on the line of the Chicago, Burlington & Kansas City Railroad nearly midway between Carrollton and the county line, is one of the best towns in the county...
The town was platted by C. E. Perkins, land agent for the company which controlled all of the town sites on the railroad, at the time it was built, and on December 7, 1892, a petition signed by three-fourths of the tax paying citizens of the town of Tina, "the south three-fourths of the west half of the northwest quarter and the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 36, and the south three-fourths of the east half of the northeast quarter and the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 35, Township5 5, Range 23, were incorporated under the name and styleof the Village of Tina." This town was so named in honor of Tina, a daughter of E. M. Gilchrist, the engineer who located the road. (--Turner, Vol. 1, pp. 130, 131.)
It is situated at Sec. 35 & 36, Twp. 55 N, R. 23 W on WW east of 65.
Van Horn Van Horn was a post-office ten miles north of Carrollton. (--Campbell, p. 115.)
Wakenda (elevation 652 feet)
The town of Wakenda or Eugene City was platted June 18, 1869, by Barton Bates, president of the North Missouri Railroad Company, and Daniel Cary, the owner of the south part of the east half of the southwest quarter of Section 16, on which the town was platted. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 101.)
See, also, Eugene City... (--Campbell, p. 115.)
It is situated at Sec. 16, Twp. 52 N, R. 22 W on B south of 24.
Wakenda, town and creek of the same name, meaning in the Indian language "God's River" on account of abundance of game on its banks and fish in the stream. (--Eaton, p. 211.)
White Rock (Miami Township)
The town of White Rock has never been incorporated or platted. At the time of the building of the Wabash (then North Missouri) Railroad, it was thought that the White Rock quarries would prove to be the nucleus of a town...and for a time the stores did a good business and the village prospered. In later years, however, the town lost prestige as a trading post and only the workmen at the quarries lived in the neighborhood. (--Turner, Vol. 1, p. 93.)
It was a small trading point 12 miles east of Carrollton, so called because of the immense quarries of the celebrated white rock, a very handsome, durable and desirable stone used for buildings at St. Louis, St. Charles, St. Joseph, Kansas City and other places. (--Campbell, pp. 113, 115.)
It was situated at Sec. 8, Twp. 52 N, R. 21 W on O and Norfolk & Western R. R.
Winsor City See DeWitt.
Carroll County Table of Contents