A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Carter County, Missouri
Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
Bibliography and Acknowledgements
In compiling this Directory of Towns, Villages and
Hamlets, Past and Present, of Carter County, Missouri,
every effort has been made to include every known community.
I wish to thank Mrs. Eunice Penninton, Director of the Current River Regional Library, for her assistance. Mrs. Pennington graciously took the time from her very busy schedule to review this work and she has made several corrections and additions.
Also, I wish to thank the staff at the Research Department of
the Springfield-Greene County Library for supplying certain rare books for examination.
Material examined includes the following:
- Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, Campbell .
- New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell.
- The State of Missouri in 1904, Walter
- Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri,
- Place Names in Southern Border Counties of Missouri, a thesis by Cora Ann Pottenger, B. S. in ED., which was submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Degree of Master of Arts, in the Graduate School of the University of Missouri, 1945. This thesis is on Micro-Film at the Public Library, and is referred to as Place Names.
- Several maps as indicated.
Carter County Table of Contents