It was approximately seven miles east of Clinton. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399. )
It is in the northwest corner of the county near the Johnson County line. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399.)
It is located at Section 36, Township 44 N, Range 28 W, on Highway N. (--General Highway Map Of Henry County, issued by The Missouri State Highway Department, 6-1-68. Unless otherwise noted, all map descriptions are from this map.)
Pres. Blevins Township
A new discovery has brought to Henry County another Township. Having found four and one-half sections of land without a local habitation or a name, but surrounded on all sides by municipal divisions, the writer of this history has given it the name of "Pres Blevins" Township, after the first white child born in Henry County, Preston Blevins. Davis Township and Honey Creek Township were regulation size townships, but the southwest corner was not defined. The citizens of "Pres Blevins" supposed they belonged to Davis, but it is not so recorded, or was not January 1st, 1883, and it has been outside the pale of legal life for all those years. . .but now it will be known as "Pres Blevins". It has four and one-half sections of land. It is bounded on the north and east by Grand River and Henry Creek; south by Davis and west by White Oak Townships...There is no government land in the township, or any legal government for that matter, but R. P. Blevins is hereby appointed "governor", until such time as his successors shall be elected and qualified, with full power to act and to send for persons and papers. (--History Of Henry County, pp.460-461.)
Bi Creek Township
Its first voting precinct was at the house of Thomas Kimsey, at the August election, 1836. In 1858 the Kimsey School House was designated as its voting place, and that was afterward changed to Kimseyville, November 11, 1865, the county court ordered the voting precinct to be removed from Kimseyville to Huntingdale. (--History Of Henry County, p.445.)
Bogard Township was first organized in 1857. . .The new Township went into effect in 1873...Asa Brown, of Brown County, Kentucky, was the first white man known to have built his cabin in the township. . .There never have been any towns or villages in the township, unless Urich,first known in 1871, may be called such. (--History Of Henry County, pp.439-440-441.)
The town of Brownington was first located in the year 1869, and joined that of Consville and was laid out by William N. Doyle...
This village, as before stated, was first settled in 1869, although it may be stated as being settled in 1867, Consalus being its founder, as at this day the two places are one. (--History Of Henry Co., pp. 463-465, Mrs. Ramona Hendrich.)
(Mrs. Hendrich says that there were two other families in the county, who spelled their name Consalus. They also lived near Brownington. We have learned from a great-grandson of the founder of Brownington, that the spelling Consallis, as stated in the Henry County History, was a mistake. It is"Consalus.")
It is in the southeast section of the county, 7 1/2 miles northwest of Mt. Zion. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, Walter Williams, p.399.)
It is located at Sections 17, 19, 20, Township 40 N, Range 25W, on Highway Z, east of 13.
This is one of the old settled towns in the county, in fact was located about the time Clinton was, and was the latter's rival for the county seat. When Henry or Rives County was organized then came the county seat question and as there seemed to the Tebo or Springfield (Townships) settlers that they had a chance for the prize, as Goff's was soon after the empty seat. Due to the fact that it was too far from the center of Rives County, as organized by the General Assembly, Calhoun was unable to secure the site as county seat. Even Benjamin and Thomas Wallace wanted it at their store, about a mile north of the present location, (Clinton) but the commissioners having found the center stake they located it as near to it as possible. John Nash located the present town of Calhoun in 1835. . .Mr. Nash secured the services of John S. Lingle to lay out his town, and named it after John C. Calhoun of South Carolina. Since Calhoun was unable to secure the seat of justice for Rives County, no further efforts were made. As soon as Calhoun was laid out, the rush from Goff's, the county seat, took place at once. James Fields, who had a store at Goff's, and one of the first in the county moved to Calhoun and put up the first house. . .The first post-office in the county was at Goff's, from 1835 to 1837, when William Goff gave it up, and James Fields was appointed postmaster, and the office was moved to Calhoun. The Clinton post-office was established at the same time...Calhoun was incorporated as the "Town of Calhoun" February10, 1870. (--History Of Henry County, pp.425, 426, 427.)
It is seven and one-half miles southwest of Windsor. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399.)
It is located at Sections 3, 31, Township 43 N, Range 24 West, and Sections 25, 26, Township 43 N, Range 25 W, on Highway 52, at the junction with J & V.
Carrsville (Big Creek Township)
Carrsville was twelve and one-half miles northwest of Clinton. It had a flouring-mill and 1 general store, with a population of about 50, (1874). (--Gazetteer Of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p.232; New Atlas Of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, Map #24; Mrs. Hendrich.)
Clinton was made the county seat of Rives County, (now known as Henry County,) in November 1836, and the first sale of lots took place in February following. The first building on the site was a weather-boarded log house, built by Thomas B., and Benjamin Wallace, who opened a store removing to it a stock of goods from their old location a mile northward. In 1837, when the population did not exceed fifty, the building of the courthouse was begun, and a post-office was established. The office was known as "Rives Court House", and retained this name for some time. Benjamin Wallace was the first postmaster, and was succeeded by Frank Fields about 1841.
August 26, 1870, the first railway, the Tebo & Neosho reached the town, and that dates the beginning of the substantial development and prosperity of the place. Clinton was incorporated February 6, 1858; it became a city of the fourth class April 2, 1878, and a city of the third class February24, 1886. (--Encyclopedia Of The History Of Missouri, Vol.2, Conard, 1901, pp. 31 & 32.)
There was not in its location or afterwards, what happened to many other county seats, that was a county seat fight. There were no other towns of importance in the county, and the only rivalry possible was in the ownership of land near the county seat, but even that was denied them as the land was only just opened for market, but not enough people to purchase all the land available for a county seat site...
Later the county seat question had been agitated and settled. The commissioners selected a location at the southeast quarter of Section 3, Township 41, Range 26 W, and Peyton Parks was appointed county seat commissioner or county commissioner for the permanent seat of justice of Rives County. Mr. Parks was given full power to lay off the town. . .Sixty-four lots were laid off and sold. . .The next move was for a court house. . .and in December 1837, Messrs.Sharp and Wallace were able to report on the plan for a new court house. . .a brick structure was decided on.
Soon after the sale of lots had been effected, the order came for the county and circuit courts to be held at Clinton, and the "House of Goff" was no longer the county seat of Rives County...The last, or February term of court, at Goff's was a memorable one as plans were laid for the new court house, also for the May term of court. A Mr. George W. Lake was authorized to find some kind of a building to hold court in and have it ready for the May term of court, 1838...It is not certain that the county court used James B. Sears house as a court room in May, but in June they did and he got $6.00 rent. It is more than likely that covered the rent of both sessions...The post-office at Clinton was opened in the spring of 1837, and Benjamin F. Wallace was its first postmaster. The office was kept in the store of Wallace Bros., on the northeast corner of the square. (--History Of Henry County, pp. 137, 139, 140, 326.)
Clinton is located at Sections 33, 34, 35, Township 42 N, and Sections 5, 6, 10, 11, Township 41 N, all in Range 26 W, on Highways 13, 18, 7, & 52.
Coal is southeast of Clinton, on R. F. D. from Clinton and Alberta. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399.)
It is located at Section 19, Township 41 N, Range 24 W, on Highway 7.
This little village was first settled in 1859, and went for some time by the name of Cole's Store. Mr. Cole closed his business in 1861, and J. D. Galbreath occupied the same building until 1867. Jesse Halford was the first postmaster and the post-office was called Galbreath. This did not happen until 1867. . .The name of the post-office was changed in 1880, from Galbreath to Colesburg, and is thus known. (--History Of Henry County, pp.477, 478.)
This village was laid out in 1867, by Capt. J. L. Consolis, and in the laying-out the name Consolis was given it, as was also the post-office, and Capt. Consolis became the first post-master. He put up the first store, and was the first merchant. (--History Of Henry County, p.463.)
The township was organized in July, 1840. . .In 1842, a number of settlers had moved to the township. At that time the stream of Deepwater was the principal point of settlements all along its banks. . .In 1857, Dr. Stewart built the first house at Germantown, and Jacob Goldsmith had the first store the same year...The town (of Germantown) was built on Mark Stewart's land. . . The Deepwater post-office was first opened at John C. Stone's in 1850. His cabin was some three miles east of Germantown on Section 1. He held the office for some five years, when John H. Austin took it to his cabin, on Section 34, (now Walker Township,) until 1860, when James Gates, from Kentucky, took it and located it at his cabin on Section 22, two miles north of Austin. It remained there two years, and it was returned to Mrs. Austin, a widow where it remained late in 1864. The office was removed to Germantown, with Edwin Taylor as the first postmaster. . .The post-office was still called Deepwater, and its name was really never changed. The office, was, however, discontinued. Germantown is now (1883) dead, but it had once a living history. What was death to Germantown was life to Montrose, and the life and death was caused by the location of the then Tebo & Neosho Railroad, now the Missouri, Kansas and Texas division of the Missouri Pacific. . .Deepwater Township settled up rapidly. (--History Of Henry County, pp.406-407.)
It is approximately twelve miles straight west of Clinton, from which point it is served by R. F. D. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399; Mrs. Hendrich.)
It is located at Section 18, Township 41 N, Range 27 W, on Highways 18 & P.
Mr. Joseph Fields was one of the first settlers and came early in 1832...In the Spring of 1836, Thomas B. and Benjamin Wallace (see Calhoun) came to the township, and settled on Section 25, about one mile north of Clinton, but before the county seat was laid out. They built themselves a log store room and opened the first store in Field's Creek Township, and probably the last also. They remained there until the county seat was located, when they removed to Clinton. (--History Of Henry County, p.436.)
Finey was in the southeast corner of the county, near the Benton Co. line, north of the Osage River, and eight miles west of Tackner, (Benton Co.). (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, pp.331 & 399.)
It was located on the section line between Sections 23 & 24, Township 40 N, Range 24 W, on Highway Z.
Gaine's Store or Gaine's Farm
It was a post-office and store, ten miles southeast of Clinton, in Bethlehem Township. (--Gazetteer Of Missouri, p.232; New Atlas Of Missouri, Map #24.)
It was approximately four miles northeast of Brownington. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399.)
It was located at Section 2, Township 40 N, Range 25 W, on Highway W, south of 7.
Galbraith's Store (see Colesburg)
A post-office and store, ten miles east, southeast of Clinton. It was in Leesville Township. (--Gazetteer Of Missouri, p.232; New Atlas Of Mo., Map #24.)
Village Of Germantown (also Germantown)
When the Village of Germantown started in 1857, the Catholics removed their church there. The southwestern portion of the township did not settle up until several years later. Until 1870 Germantown seemed to have a bright future, but the location of the railroad three miles away gave it its death blow. At that time, 1870, the village had three good stores, one furniture store, two grocery stores, one drug store, two blacksmith shops and one saloon. When Montrose was located the old town moved bodily over to the station, and only one grocery store of all the business houses remained, and that was the last of this old settler. (--History Of Henry Co., pp. 406, 407, 408.)
It was located at Section 4, Township 40 N, Range 28 W, on Highway K, north of Montrose, south of Piper.
It was located at Section 17, Township 42 N, Range 27 W, on Highway 7, northwest of Clinton.
It was located at Section 12, Township 42 N, Range 27 W, northwest of Clinton, east of Harvey, on Frisco R. R. (--Highway Map Of Henry Co., and Mrs. Hendrich.)
It was located at Section 11, Township 42 N, Range 27 W, on Highway O, northwest of Clinton. (--Note: On the Map Of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally and Co., a community is marked "Harvey or Garland P.O.".)
It was ten miles northwest of Clinton, and four miles southeast of Urich. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399.)
It is (1887) the largest village in Shawnee Township, having a population of about 100 inhabitants. It was first made a voting precinct Nov. 11, 1865, when it was so designated by the county court, the polls having been removed from Kimseyville. It was then a portion of Big Creek Township...The first house built in what is now Huntingdale was by Aaron Kahn, in the year 1855, and he also located his store there and was its first merchant. Its first postmaster was Benjamin Quarles. (--History Of Henry Co., pp.432, 433.)
Huntingdale was north of Clinton, from which point it was served by R. F. D. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399.)
It was located at Section 29, Township 42 N, Range 26 W, on Highway N, west of 13.
Littleberry Kimsey and others settled in Big Creek Township in the year 1832. (Later Big Creek Township was a part of Shawnee Township, (q. v.); on Section 4, of this Township was where Littlebury Kimsey located the first water mill in Henry County. (--History Of Henry County, pp.92-431; Page 444 states that Mr. Kimsey came in 1830.)
Ladue is situated on the M. K. & T. R. R., division of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. . .Its location being nearly midway between Montrose and Clinton. It is a good deal more than a flag stop on the main line of the road. The report that the conductors on the road say that when a man stops off at this station that he is a fugitive trying to hide, or a lunatic, is not true so far as the writer of this history can ascertain.
The first store started in Ladue was by Joshua Cates in 1870. He was also the first postmaster. Other businesses included one grocery and provision store, one blacksmith and wagon shop; one cooper shop; one boarding house; one saloon and eight dwelling houses. But by 1880, LaDue had become a good sized town, having a population of 140. (--History Of Henry County, pp.459-460.)
It is 7 miles southwest of Clinton. (--The State Of Missouri, in 1904, p.399.)
It is located at Sections 26, 35, Township 41 N, Range 27 W, on Highway T, south of 18, or west of 13.
Springfield-Greene County Library