A. M. Adams took land at the present site of West Plains in 1839, but sold the next year to Josiah Howell. (See Town Spring.) (--Place Names.)Albina
An early post-office kept by Albin Perkins in his home one and one-half miles south of the site of Pomona. Name coined from Mr. Perkins' christian name. Later, a Mr. Harris kept it near Rudville School, (q.v.) until Olden (q.v.) was established, when it was moved to that village. Mrs. Kinion says that when the post-office was established as early as 1867, for when her father Newton C. Epps, moved to the community in that year, they got their mail once a week. (--Place Names.)Amy
Albina was a post-office four miles north, northwest of West Plains. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)
A small village in Benton Township, named for the earlier post-office, (q.v.). (--Place Names.)Amy
It was located at Sections 1 & 2, Township 22 N, Range 10 W, on Highway FF, south of Highway 160. (--General Highway Map of Howell County, issued by the Missouri State Highway Department, 10-1-67. Unless otherwise specified, all map locations are from this map.)
A post-office moved to Hocomo (q.v.) in 1932, was established by Dr. James Black and kept in a store on his farm one and one-half miles no of the present site of Amy until 1903, when it was moved to the home of Mrs. Rebecca Gill for a short time before the Carter Store of Amy took charge of the mail. Dr. Black, district postmaster, suggested the name for his daughter. (--Place Names.)
A post-office established in 1903 and kept first by Mr. John W. Cox in his store at the head of Vaughn Hollow, now on Highway 80. The store passed to various owners, but the post-office was discontinued in 1834. Mr. Cox explains that several names were sent in by the community, but the Postal authorities disregarded all of them and named it Arditta. No one seems to know why this name was chosen. (--Place Names.)Arthur's Service Station
It was located at Section 34, Township 22 N, Range 10 W, on Highway 160 near the west edge of the county.
On Highway 60, one and onehalf miles west of Mountain View. Built by William Arthur, manager of the Chevrolet and real estate business in Mountain View, in 1931. Now managed by his son, Lyle Arthur. (--Place Names.)Ashworth
A discontinued post-office, northeast of Moody, (q.v.). Named for Dr. James Ashworth, a landowner and resident of the community for over forty years. He came originally from England at the age of twenty.Baker Community
Found on an 1895 map, (Postal Guide, 1897). (--Place Names.)
It was in northeast Benton Township, near South Fork. It was a famous place for sports some years after the Civil War. Smiley Baker, a lover of horses, had a large farm and race track. (--Place Names.) (Exact location is unknown).Baldridge Service Station
Established in 1925, two and one-half miles southeast of Willow Springs at the junction of Highways 60 & 63, by Mrs. Stella Baldridge, operated by Mrs. Wade Baldridge. The cafe and cabins were destroyed by a tornado in 1937, but soon rebuilt. (--Place Names.)Bay Crossing
It was named for the Bay family, who homesteaded on top of the hill, north of the crossing.
It was located at Section 3, Township 26, Range 7. (--E. J. Shelton.)
A small mill village, now gone, on Dry Creek, in Siloam Springs Township. During the 1880'S M. E. Benson operated a good sized mill for a few years, cutting out the large pine trees. (--Place Names.) (Exact location is unknown).Big Spring School
One of the older schools in northeast Benton Township. It acquired its name from the large, good spring near, generally known as Big Spring, which had taken names of landowners at various times. The old building and spring were called Friend's for Elijah Jefferson Friend, a former school commissioner and Civil War veteran who settled there before the Civil War. The spring and cemetery were later known for a time as "Martin" for "Grandma" Martin who had settled near, under the "Squatter's act, about 1880. Robert Wilcox acquired the Martin land and was, for many years, caretaker of the cemetery, being paid by the community. The burial ground took his name but the spring apparently refused it. (--Place Names.)Big Spring
Usually known as Big Spring Cemetery, for the spring, it is sometimes spoken of as Bly Cemetery for the village near. (Big Spring State Park is located in Carter County.) (--Place Names.)Blowing Spring
(The reason Big Spring School is mentioned is due to the fact that it is referred to later in the description of Yankee Doodle.)
Near Eleven Points River, one mile southeast of the county line Hollow. The ebb and flow of the spring making "queer noises" and the "blowing out" of the cold air from the little cavity in the bluff caused the early settlers to believe it was haunted. The old spring has become filled, and the water comes from crevices in the rocks. A good picknicking place for camping and fishing. (--Place Names.)Bly
Note: See, also, Miller Spring, in the Directory of Pulaski County, for an account of a smiliar-acting spring.
A former village and post-office near the center of Benton Township. Formerly it had a population of about 200, a saw mill, a small zinc mine near, and four stores; but in 1924 the whole village burned. When the post-office was moved here from Yankee Doodle, (q.v.) in the late 1870'S or early 1880'S, Nero Taylor, at the suggestion of another merchant, Warren Roberts, gave it the name of his black mare, a pet in the Taylor family. (--Place Names.) (Exact location is unknown).
A small town in Howell Township, laid out in 1883 by the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad and named for Michael Brand who owned 17,000 acres of land in Howell County, and gave the town site. Mr. Herman Wisch came with Mr. Branch (evidently Brand is meant), and they put in a store and many acres of apple, peach and grape orchards, and started a large sheep ranch. During the construction of the rail road, the place was known as Flag Pond because the large marsh plants grew in such abundance and the place was a shallow pond. (--Place Names.)Brooks Ridge
It is located at Sections 13, 14, 23, & 24, Township 23 N, Range 7 W, on Highways 63 & VV.
During the 1880'S Jacob Brooks lived on one of the larger elevations 3 miles southwest of Chapel Hill School, (q.v.). One of the Kenage logging camps was there for a time. (--Place Names.)Brown Springs
An earlier name for Siloam Springs (q.v.). Jonathan Brown, M. D. Entered the land there about 1866. He made some developments for a health resort by putting in a small bath house and showers. He later sold the place to D. F. Martin who made considerable improvement and advertised the place. He laid out the town giving it the name of Martinsville, but Siloam Springs (q.v.) remained the name of the post-office. The springs and a large tract of land now belonging to John R. (sic) (T) Woodruff, of Springfield, Missouri, and his associates. After getting ownership in the early 1900'S, they have made great improvements, and the place has been a great pleasure as well as a health resort. Electric lights and a modern sewer system were installed; the springs have been cleaned and walled; parks and playgrounds and a lake for swimming and boating were made; two hotels and cottages were erected. During very recent years, it has been declining somewhat. (--Place Names.)
Pinebrook Inn has been restored. It is now owned by Eugene Marsh, and is used as a hunting lodge. Siloam Springs post-office discontinued around 1970. (--E. J. Shelton.)
A descriptive name for Summers Addition, south and adjacent to the city limits of West Plains. After the death of Joseph Summers in 1929, his son Park divided the farm, then a brushy pastureland, into lots and sold them at auction, September 9, 1930. (--Place Names.)Burk
A discontinued post-office in Chapel Township, about seven miles northeast of White Church. An elderly man by that name had a store and blacksmith shop; he kept the post-office for a while. (--Place Names.)Burnham
A small town in Willow Springs Township; established in 1882 by the railroad officials, and named by them for C. B. Burnham, vice-president of the old Kansas City and Memphis Railroad of Kansas City. It became a flourishing lumber town, one center of the Missouri Land and Lumber Company, during the 1880's and 1890's. It is in rapid decadence, (1945). (--Place Names.)Burr Oaks
It was located at Section 17, Township 26 N, Range 10 W.
A small house built in 1936, part of which is used for a store on Highway 80, five miles east of West Plains, on a part of the Brand land. (See Brandsville). Mr. Meredith, now (1937) owns the neat building. He explained that there were several kinds of oak trees, in the vicinity, but no burr oaks that he knew of; but that the name is that of a large estate in a book he read when he was a very young man; he believes it is in one of E. P. Roe's books. Edward Payson Roe (1838-1888) was a prolific and popular American novelist of the '70's and '80's. One of his best sellers, Opening a Chestnut Burr, (1874) has its setting at a country place called Burr Oaks. (--Place Names.)
The original village of what is now part of Mountain View. About 1878, possibly some-what earlier, John J. and James Campbell put in a small store about one-half mile east of the present town, at the present site of the Mountain View cemetery. John J. Campbell had settled about 160 acres there as early as 1860.Carson
About 1880 John Goldsberry, who had settled there in 1860, put up a store across the road west from the Campbell store. Bitter competition followed and the name "Possum Trot" was invectively given to the west side settlement. (--Place Names.)
A discontinued post-office and village, two and one-half miles southeast of West Plains, on the Frisco R. R. Jack Carson, who had a store and kept the post-office there, owned and operated mines in various sections of Missouri. About 1900 he opened up the iron mines in this vicinity and operated them successfully for a few years.Carson Switch
The place was sometimes known as Carson Switch, as a track was extended out to the mines. A store and filling station remain. (--Place Names.)
A possible location was Section 35, Township 24 N, Range 8 W, on Highway 63, since the map shows a mine or quarry symbol here.
See Carson. Place Names.Carter Store
Benjamin Carter had a store and kept the post-office one mile southeast of the present site of Willow Springs, before the town was laid out. (--Place Names.)Caulfied
A village and post-office in Benton Township on Highway 80, near the Amyx mines in Ozark County. John C. Harlin, of Gainesville, who was at that time state senator, suggested the name for Governor Caulfield. Henry Stewart Caulfield, born in St. Louis in 1873, was governor of Missouri from 1929 to 1933. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 7, Township 23 N, Range 10 W, on Highways 101 & 160, near the Ozark County line.
A post-office, established June 26, 1860, one-half mile east of Chapel Hill Church, for which it was named. The first postmaster, Benjamin Holden, who had come from Tennessee during the 1850's handled the mail in his home. Campbell describes it as a "village 20 miles northeast of West Plains." The office was kept by various persons in different places until it was moved to Mountain View (q.v.) in 1879. (--Place Names.)Chapin
Chapel was twenty miles northeast of West Plains, and contained one general store, one wagon maker's and one carpenter's shop. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)
A station and discontinued post-office on the Frisco Railroad in Howell Township, established in 1883 and named by the railroad officials for Hugh Chapin, now (1942) dead, who deeded the right-of-way. The village, sometimes called Chapin Station, was also known as Chapinville because a brother, John Chapin, and others of the name lived there. Hugh Chapin was a retired farmer and county judge. (--Place Names.)Chapin Station
See Chapin. (--Place Names.)Chapinville
See Chapin. (--Place Names.)China
A discontinued post-office, later replace by Carson (q.v.), established in 1894 and kept by a Mr. Carry in his store, where the mail was delivered three times a week. Named for the church near by. (--Place Names.)
A Union Church at Carson, originally built by the Methodists during the 1880'S. Now used by the Baptists and Methodists for a community building. Mrs. Haglen explained it was built near a thickly shaded, dark place in the road. Rev. Profitt said someone remarked, "we live a way down in China, so we will call our church 'China'". The Baptists organized a church called Grandview in 1920 and used the China Church. (--Place Names.) (Exact location is unknown).Christy
A post-office named for the landowner. See Christy School. (Postal Guide 1891-1902.) (--Place Names.)Christy School
In northeast Myatt Township, established about 1886. E. S. Christy operated a fruit farm there for a number of years. He also operated a small store in which he took care of the mail. (--Place Names.) (Exact location is unknown).Cobalt
A post-office in east Chapel Township,. Chapel post-office (q.v.), after having passed through various hands was taken over by Jasper E. Chowning, who operated a grist mill, and the name was changed to Cobalt. It is a sort of tradition that during the prospecting and mining days some cobalt was found. According to some informants there was considerable excitement and advertising. A little village grew up, but all has vanished. (--Place Names; E. J. Shelton). (Exact location is unknown).Cords
Mr. Shelton adds, "Jasper E. Chowning later moved to Mountain View and operated a mill there."
An abandoned sawmill town and post-office, the terminus of a branch railroad extending southwest ten miles from Burnham. A later name for Horton (q.v.), given for Henry Cords, manager of the timber mills there for the South Missouri Land and Lumber Company. The place was first known as Drew for W. H. Drew, who was superintendent of the mills for the Missouri Land and Lumber Company. (--Place Names.) (Exact location is unknown).
A discontinued post-office in Howell Township. Established through the efforts of Dr. Charles Ludwig from Germany and named for a town in Brandenburg, Prussia. Cottbus or Kottbus in an important manufacturing town 68 miles southeast of Berlin. According to one informant the office was established before 1883 in the doctor's home, a log house; and his daughter, Annie, was postmistress. He was a practicing physician as early as 1874. (--Place Names). (Exact location is unknown).Crass
A post-office but not located. Families of the name were in both Oregon and Howell Counties, one near White Church, another near Byrd School. (--Place Names.)Cross Roads
See Cross Roads School and South Fork post-office. (--Place Names.)Cross Roads School
One of the old schools one and one-half miles northeast of Amy, southwest of Cross Roads, the early name for South Fork. The old pioneer roads from West Plains to Waterville (now Bakersfield in Ozark County) and from Pottersville to the early settlements in Myatt Township and northern Arkansas crossed in what is known as South Fork, in the northwest part of South Fork Township.
Cross Roads Church, now Hillcrest (q.v.), the first Congregational Methodist church of the county, was organized in the home of William H. Howard, a captain in the Federal Army, who lived two miles south of Cross Roads where the house was built. (--Place Names.) (See South Fork.)
A village and post-office in Howell Township, established in 1897 through the efforts of a prominent citizen, merchant, landowner and Confederate soldier, David W. Cull, a native of Kentucky, who had come here form Mexico, Missouri. Refusing the name sent in by him, the Postal Department gave his name to the place. It is discontinued and a mail route from West Plains is established. (Postal Guide, 1897-1939). (--Place Names). (Exact location is unknown).Cureall (also known as Cureall Springs)
A village and post-office in Spring Creek Township. About 1875 Dr. J. C. B. Dixon of West Plains, Missouri, who came from Kentucky in 1867, started a health resort at the springs said to contain exceptional medicinal properties. There were several springs claimed to have various qualities, and all except one are now covered over and practically lost. Dr. Dixon built a hotel and bath house and got the post-office established which he called Cureall. Saw mills, grist mills and stores grew up. Many came from St. Louis, Memphis and other cities, and quite a little town grew up during the 1880's; but only a few buildings remain and it is no longer considered a health resort. Dr. Dixon sold to John Adkins, who sold to John Fleece of Memphis. The spring and old home are now owned by Shelton Looney. The springs were originally known as Dixon Springs for the owner Dr. Dixon. (--Place Names; E. J. Shelton.)Cynthia
It was located at Section 16, Township 23 N, Range 10 W, on Highway K, near MM.
"A post-office of 1883, listed by Polk, p. 87, but I have been unable to find anyone who knows of it. It was doubtless a personal name." (--Cora A. Pottenger in Place Names.)
Deaderick was a post-office at old Horton (q.v.). It was named for Dan Deaderick who kept the office in his store. (--Place Names.)"Dish Rag"
See Antioch Christian Church. (--Place Names.)Dixon Springs
See Cureall. (--Place Names.)Drew
See Cords. (--Place Names.)Edom
See Olden. (--Place Names.)Eula
Eula was a post-office kept by William Hester Colins in his store at the old Graham Spring (q.v.). He named it for Eula, the daughter of Alfred Downing, who had previously owned the store. (--Place Names.) (Among other references cited was Postal Guide, 1901-1902.)
A post-office established in 1901 in Mr. Hugh Turner's store in southwest Sisson Township. It grew to be a little village with two stores, a grist mill, a blacksmith shop, a shingle mill and several dwelling houses. The Turners had the office for two or three years, until they sold out and went to St. Louis for the World's Fair of 1904-1905, subsequently removing to Los Angeles, California. The post-office was discontinued in 1913, and now there is nothing but a store.
Mrs. Hugh Turner writes that her husband sent in a list of names, but the Postal Department rejected all of them and suggested Fanchon instead. She says: "The Department gave us the name." It seems unlikely, however, that so unusual a name would have been dictated by Washington unless some desire first had been expressed by some one living at the place. One conjecture has been made that the name was taken from Fanchon-Marco, a team of nationally known theatrical artists. The stage name "Fanchon-Marco" is that of a well known pair of dancers and musicians whose real names are Fanny and Mike Wolff. "Fanchon" or Fanny Wolff (now Mrs. Fanchon Simon) was born in Los Angeles in 1895; her brother "Marco" is a year older. According to an article in the American, by J. B. Griswold, Sept. 1932, (Vol. 114, p. 46) entitled "Let's Be Ourselves" The Story of a Brother and Sister who Licked the Big City by Going Back Home," they became known as the "Mr. And Mrs. Vernon Castle of the Pacific Coast" at an early period in their career. Later they acquired fame as producers of musical comedy, and according to a biographical sketch in Time for May 10, 1937, (29.2.66) they are today the most important makers of stage shows in this country. It does not seem possible, however, that even so versatile a pair of artists as the Wolffs could have been famous enough in 1901, at the age of six and seven respectively, to have had a town named for them.
More probable both the town and Mrs. "Fanchon" Simon borrowed their names from a still more famous "Fanchon" of the preceding generation. The beloved American actress, Margaret Julia Mitchell (1837-1918) was known as "Fanchon", her most popular role, from one end of the country to the other. The Dict. of American Biog. says of her: "In 1880 she appeared in New Orleans in the title role of Fanchon the Cricket, a play adapted for her from George Sand's La Petite Fadette, which was to bring her wealth and a unique place in the hearts of the people...During twenty succeeding years, the play never staled with the public...The actress was a little creature, winsome and piquant rather than beautiful, and animated with electric energy which followed Fanchon through her lightning changes of mood. The grace of her fantastic shadow-dances inspired verses by Emerson."
The statement in the DAB about Emerson is declared to be incorrect by the recent editor of his letters. Professor Ralph L. Rusk states in his Letters of Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1939, (V321), that the poems entitled "The Shadow Dances" and "Maggie Gone" inscribed to Maggie Mitchell and published in the Boston Evening Transcript on March 17, 1863, were really written, not by the philosopher, as has been alleged, but by a William R. Emerson, of Boston, Mass. But there is no doubt about another poetical tribute to Maggie Mitchell, written by Eugene Field, the father of the newspaper "column." In his famous "Sharps and Flats" in the Chicago Daily News, Field published, on September 26, 1884, a graceful little poem entitled "Fanchon the Cricket", in which Maggie Mitchell is described as the "most fascinating girl That ever romped the mimic stage."Fancy Farm
The play that made Maggie Mitchell so famous took its title and the name of its heroine from the equally popular romance of the best known woman novelist of France, George Sand, (1804-1876). Then her La Petite Fadette, first published in 1849, is perhaps the most widely read of all the many stories that came from her prolific pen. Little Fadette, "la grelet", or cricket, as she is called, was christened Francoise; "c'est pourquoi ser grand' mere, qui n'ainmait point a changer les noms, l'appelwait toujours ranchon" (Chap VIII). The dimunitive is the French equivalent of the English Fanny, for our Frances.
At least one other American town, Fanchon, Texas, bears the same name, doubtless from the same source. (--Place Names.)
A post-office for a short time during the 1870's kept by Abin Perkins in his farm home one and one-half mile south of Pomona. His daughter, Sarah, later wife of Dr. Charles Palmer of Pomona, suggested that the farm was nicely kept, a "fancy" one, and that would be a good name for the office. Not found in Postal Guide, but shown on an 1879 map. (--Place Names). (Exact location is unknown).Fisher Mill
In the early 1880's, Joe Fisher owned and operated a saw mill near Sterling, (q.v.). (--Place Names). (Exact location is unknown).
See Brandsville. (--Place Names.)Frank Durham's Store
See Frankville. (--Place Names.)Frankville (New Franklin)
It was four miles southeast of West Plains, and contained 2 general stores and 1 stock yard. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)Freemott's Place
Frank Chapin owned a farm, 4 miles southeast of West Plains and kept the post-office Frankville in his home, for a while before the railroad was built. He later moved to Chapin, (q.v.).
Later, Frank Durham and Frank Campbell, relatives of the Livingstons, put in a general store and kept the post-office, when the name was changed to New Franklin. Locally, it was often spoken of as Frank Durham's Store. Nothing remains of the place but the burial ground, known as the cemetery.
Both names of the old post-office, Frankville and New Franklin, were obviously suggested by the Christian names of the proprietors. The later name, New Franklin, blends the name of Frank with that of the statesman, Benjamin Franklin, (1706-1790, a stock name for American towns. (--Place Names.)
Freemott's Place was on Highway 60, four and one-half miles west of Mountain View. In 1934, Mr. W. A. Freemott from Minnesota, established on his farm, a grocery, cabins, and a service station. (--Place Names.)Fruitville
A post-office in Mynatt Township. It was discontinued in 1930. See Torrey's place, (q.v.), where much fruit was grown. (--Place Names; Mr. E. J. Shelton).Fruitville Farms
See Torrey's Place. (--Place Names: E. J. Shelton.)
A post-office listed in Postal Guide of 1856. (Location is unknown.) (--Place Names.)Gill
A post-office of northwest Benton Township, established in a country store belonging to William Gill, from Tennessee. John Taylor, a bondsman for the postmaster, D. O. Stephens, suggested the name for Mrs. Rebecca Gill, assistant postmistress. The post-office was discontinued in 1902, when the Gill family moved to Amy. (--Place Names.)Globe
A post-office southwest of Brandsville, shown on 1907 map. (Postal Guide, 1909-1910). (--Place Names.)Grimmett
A post-office, now kept by Jesse R. Byers in his store in northeast Spring Creek Township, where there are now a filling station, a canning factory, and a grist mill. Samuel Grimmett, a farmer and old resident, got the post-office established as early as 1895 and kept it in his home about 4 miles southeast of the present location. After a few years, James L. House put a small store in his home 2 miles west and kept the office. Its name and location were later changed, (see Shinkle). In 1917 Jesse R. Byers, who lived one and one-half miles southeast of the present site of Grimmett, took the office and restored the old name. In 1919, he bought the store at the present location and moved the office there. It was discontinued between 1937 and 1939 and supplied from West Plains route. (--Place Names.)Haigart
It was located at Section 1, Township 24 N, Range 10 W, on an unmarked county road, south of Highway 14.
A discontinued station on the Frisco R. R., north of Brandsville. William R. Haight, of Brandsville, later in Jefferson City, where he served as attorney for the Highway Department, F. J. Stuart, a financier of St. Louis, and others developed the mines at Carson, (q.v.) and set up a smelter during World War I, but the war closed before the plans were completed. The name is a coined word from the names of the two men Haig-ht and Stu-art. (--Place Names.)
Found on an 1895 map, northwest of West Plains, but no where else. Informants know of the families Haney and Haynes who lived in that vicinity, but nothing of this name could be found. (--Place Names.)Hickory Top
A post-office kept by Ezekiel Jones in his home before the Civil War located at the present site of Landers Lumberyard in Willow Springs. The name was probably given for the three large hickory trees in his yard. (--Place Names.)Hocomo
A post-office established in 1931 in northeast Benton Township when Russell McHan put in a store and filling station on Highway 80. The name was suggested by the merchant's father, B. McHan, coined by combining the first two letters of Howell and the abbreviations of County and Missouri. (--Place Names.)Homeland
It is located at Section 31, Township 23 N, Range 10 W, on Highways 160 & FF.
A discontinued post-office, 6 miles southwest of West Plains on Highway 80. It was established after the Civil War and kept first by John Burnsworth in his farm home. He gave the name because now they could get their mail at home instead of going to West Plains to get it. The office was kept later by some others. Joe Taylor has a filling station, built there in 1934 and tried in vain to get the office re-established. The cemetery and school very near were named for the office. (--Place Names.)Horton
The same location as Cords (q.v.). It was laid out in 1883 by the railroad officials and named by them for George Horton, of Springfield, Missouri, a civil engineer who had surveyed for the road. A post-office of that name was established. Soon Henry Cordz put in a store, his wife was made postmaster, and the name was changed to Cordz. After the timber boom, as the population (during the 1880's and 1890's it reached 1500) decreased, and the town was almost gone it became known as Old Horton. Nothing remains except Horton Cemetery, also known as the Parrish Cemetery for Henry Parrish who lived there for some years. (--Place Names.)
Formed March 2, 1857, from Oregon and Ozark Counties. Thomas Jefferson Howell, early settler in Howell County, who represented Howell County in the Legislature at the time was instrumental in getting the county organized. It was named for the early settlers in the valley. See Howell Valley. (--Place Names.)Howell Valley
A very shallow, wide valley, drained by the upper of Warm Fork Creek (earlier known as Howell Creek for the settlers there,) in the center of which is West Plains. Josiah Howell, who bought the Adams Improvement (see Town Spring), considered the first permanent settler in the present limits of the county, and his sons, Thomas Jefferson, later in the Legislature, and Willy, came from Tennessee in the early 1840's. (--Place Names.)Hutton Valley
A small town and post-office in Hutton Valley Township, on the Current River Branch of the Frisco R. R., laid out in 1873 by Richard Marion Smith and Hercules W. Bolin. R. M. Smith, who had come from Tennessee in 1870, and Pleasant M. Gulley put up the first store. Kit Pedder and Samuel Finley put in a second store. Hercules W. Bolin, who, prior to 1873 had kept a store and post-office in his home one and one-half miles northwest of the present Hutton Valley, suggested the name, because of the first settler of the valley, a Mr. Hutton who came about 1841 and lived there for several years. (--Place Names.)Illinois Town
It was a post-office, 20 miles north of West Plains. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)
It is located at Section 1, Township 26 N, Range 9 W, on Highway U , south of Highway 60.
In the early days, the north part of West Plains was known by this name because the first residents, Samuel Riley, J. S. Paden, S. D. Foster and some others had come from Lebanon, Illinois. Now a large part of this Section is known as Nigger Town, because the Negroes live there. (--Place Names.)
In 1870, Matthias Kenaga of Salisbury, Ohio, came to Hurricane Hollow where he entered land at 25 cents an acre, began setting up timber mills. The first mill was at Blooming Spring, (q.v.). It was small, a cross cut saw upon a scaffold, operated by two men, one below and one above the scaffold. A larger, portable, the first steam mill in the county, was put in on Peace Valley, one and one-half miles from its mouth. A larger planing and saw mill was set up later in Hurricane Hollow. After operating here for a few years and then farming and serving as county judge during the 1890's, he moved to Oregon. (--Place Names.)Lacrone
A later name for Haigart. Mr. La Crone, one of the St. Louis stock holders, connected with the Carson Mine, (see Haigart) bought the mines which took his name. Later, F. J. Stuart became the owner and the name was changed to Stuart. (--Place Names.)Leader
A discontinued post-office in northwest Myatt Township. The origin has not been found. Postal Guide, 1909-1910. (--Place Names.)Egypt Settlement
Leader, Mo., was located at Beard Easterly home and he was postmaster. Later Bill Clifton was postmaster. It is in Myatt Township. (--E. J. Shelton.)
A name given to the region in what is now part of Spring Creek and Benton Township, when that section was opened for homesteading in 1879. When John Hale, Monroe Cook, and Rev. D. W. Epley were driving through the region looking for a location, Mr. Epley, thinking of the wildness of the country and comparing themselves to the Israelites going into Egypt to get food, remarked, "We're goin' into Egypt to settle." Mr. Hale stopped the wagon, and scratching the bark from a large tree, wrote the word "Egypt". The name remained for the early settlements, and when the school was established in Benton Township, it was given this name. Mr. McDaniel explained that good corn was grown in that part of the county, and people came to buy corn, as the Israelites went to Egypt to get food, and that name grew up some years after the Civil War. With the general significance of fertility, the Biblical name of Egypt has become a stock name of Missouri and Illinois; of These by Miss Atchisin and Miss Elliott. (These ladies are not otherwise identified). (--Place Names.)
(There is an Egypt Grove located at Section 35, Township 23 N, Range 10 W, on Highway 160, near the Ozark County line.)
A post-office kept by John Hammond, who then lived in Fulton County, Arkansas, near the State line. Named for a neighbor girl, Elva Willett, who married Gardner Skaggs, uncle of Buford Skaggs. Gardner Skaggs was only second Republica ever elected in Fulton County, Arkansas. Mrs. Granville Locke, just over the state line in Myatt Township kept the post-office in her home until the Lebo route was changed to care for the mail in this community. Gardner Skaggs and Elva both died in 1918,during the Flue Epidemic. (--Postal Guide 1909-1910, among other references. Place Names; Mr. E. J. Shelton.)Lebo
A post-office in southeast central South Fork Township; discontinued in 1933. Frank McCoy, land owner, farmer, and later county judge, who helped to get the post-office established in 1892 and kept it in his home (later kept in stores of the community), gave the name for his old home in Kansas. Lebo, Kansas (possibly for Le Beau) is a small town in Coffey County, about 20 miles east of Emporia. (--Place Names.)Leo
It was located at Section 2, Township 21 N, Range 9 W, on Highway 142, 4 miles northwest of 142, on the Bean farm.
A discontinued post-office in northeast South Fork Township on the old Lebo route. Tony Manze, who carried the mail at that time, on the route, explained that Ambrose "Amby" Hinkle, who had the store, was the first custodian and gave the name for his nephew Leo Harper, a son of Charles P. Harper, who soon moved from Kansas to the vicinity, bought the store and kept the post-office. Charles Harper was a nephew of Hinkle. (--Place Names; E. J. Shelton.)Leota
A village and post-office in Benton Township. When the office was established in 1900, Grant Thompson, who live one and one-half miles south of the present site, took care of the mail in his home for several years. The name was suggested by Mrs. Lizzie Vaughn for Leota, the daughter of Frank R. Cook who had opened up a little Zinc mine near the present site of Leota. Zinc was not found in paying quantities, but Mr. Cook laid out 20 acres in lots and named the village Pearl City, for Mrs. Pearl Holman, a neighbor. When the post-office was moved to the village in 1912, the village name was changed to the office name. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 34, Township 22 N, Range 10 W, on Highways FF & 142.
There are two localities by the name of Lost Camp, shown on Map #32 of New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell. One was located in Hutton Valley Township, possibly Section 16. Mr. E. J. Shelton says that the Lost Camp church is still in existence. The other was located in South Fork Township, (?) or the first Township north of Dry Creek Township, #21. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, Map # 32.)Lost Camp
A post-office, 16 miles northwest of West Plains. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)Lost Camp
An old discontinued post-office, evidently named for the creek, (q.v.). Campbell says "A post-office 16 miles north and northwest of West Plains", which would put it south of Hutton Valley and on the headquarters of Losk Creek Camp. (--Place Names.)Lost Camp Creek
There are several versions of how the creek received its name. Many of them are very tragic, ranging from lost people, murders, etc. (--Place Names.)McCann Crossing
The old road-crossing of Eleven Points River, near the mouth of Peace Valley Creek. Taint and Tolliver McCann, brothers, owned a large farm and operated a still for a few years during the 1870's. (--Place Names.)Midway Park
A store and filling station, halfway between Willow Springs and Mountain View, on Highway 60, was erected by Thomas J. Allen in 1929. Mr. Allen planned to make a beautiful place here for camping and parking privileges. (--Place Names.)[21A]
Midway Tourist Court
At the junction of Highways 60 & 14, halfway between Pomona and West Plains. It was established and named by Benjamin Letto from Chicago. Bought in 1929 by Mr. George W. Ford; and now (1937) operated by his son, Melvin D. Ford. The place consists of a service station, garage, cabins, and a cottage in a small, pretty park. (--Place Names.)Mint Springs
"No longer in existence." (--E. J. Shelton.)
See Mint Springs Graveyard. (--Place Names.)Mint Springs Graveyard
One of the oldest public burying grounds in the county, four miles southeast of Lanton. It was started before the Civil War upon the hill above Mint Spring, which still is never dry. The mint plant grows profusely along the spring and its branch. (--Place Names.)Moody
A possible location is Section 1, Township 21 N, Range 8 W, east of Highway 17, south of 142.
(A cemetery is shown at this location on the map.)
A village and post-office in Benton Township. Between 1900 and 1920, before the hard-topped roads, it had two churches, four stores, and at times a drug store; one cotton gin, a skilled blacksmith, a dozen houses, one of which had rooms for travelers. Also a bank, community cemetery, a one-room schoolhouse, half a mile distant, a water mill and a legal distillery on the creek within two miles.[21B]
Now there are more residences than before; the two churches, post-office, a community house, store and service station. School buses take children to high school in West Plains, 18 miles away, also to a nearer consolidated grade school. A modern hospital is within a half hour, and residents may commute to several small factories. Farm wagons used to take four hours to haul produce or freight between Moody and West Plains; cars now take twenty minutes. (--Courtesy of West Plains Public Library, West Plains, Mo.)
Moody is located at Section 31, Township 22 N, Range 10 W, and Section 26, Range 9 W, same township, on Highways E & 142. (--Map of Howell County; E. J. Shelton.)
It was named for Moody Creek, which is an east branch of Bennett's River, (q.v.). An early pioneer of the name settled near the spring at Moody during the 1850's, but left during the Civil War. (--Place Names.)Mott
Note: My humble apologies to Miss Cora Pottenger, who compiled the studies of Five Southern Border Counties of Mo., for the following information:
The spring nearest Moody was called Gatlin Spring. The creek the spring branch empties into was called Bennett's Bayou (not river), which heads west (not east and south).
Some old timers said they had never heard of Moody Spring or Moody branch, or about the man named Moody who left during the Civil War. (--Courtesy of the West Plains Public Library, West Plains, Mo.)
(The only reason the entry of Moody Spring is included here, is due to the fact that reference is made to it earlier in these pages.)
A post-office on the old mail route from West Plains to Lanton kept by William McGinty and named for Miss Martha Briscoe, later Mrs. Oscar Kelley of West Plains, who had been a teacher and was affectionately called Aunt Mott. (--Place Names.)
Highways 17 & A run between West Plains and Lanton.
This is a town in Goldsberry Township, on the Current River. Laid out in 1888 by the railroad but the village was named when the post-office was established December 22, 1879, with John J. Campbell, postmaster. Frank Pollock gave the right-of-way and set up a store near the depot site. During the earlier years, timber was scarce and one could see over the hills, plains and valleys for a long distance. The Campbell and Goldsberry store and village, now (1937) known, locally as Old town, was on a small elevation; thus the name Mountain View. (--Place Names.)Need More
It is located in the northeast corner of the county, at Sections 22 & 23, Township 27 N, Range 7 W, on Highways 60, 17, Y & W.
Formerly a saw mill village, now only a small store kept by Mrs. Eva Womack. It is in Spring Creek Township, 3 miles northwest of Pottersville on R. F. D. No. 1. Formerly R. Jessie Byers had a store. A mocking name implying poverty; a typical specimen of pioneer humor. (--Place Names.)New Franklin
See Frankville. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257; Place Names.)Nigger Town (See Illinois Town)
A small town on Highway 63 and the Frisco R. R., in Dry Creek Township. It was established in 1882 by the railroad and named for Benjamin F. Olden, an early lawyer and influential citizen of West Plains, who at one time, was attorney for the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis R. R. Company (later the Frisco R. R.). He came from Illinois during the late 1860's. During the construction of the road, the camp here was known as Edom for Edom Dixon of West Plains, one of the contractors. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 14, 23, Township 25 N, Range 9 W, on an unmarked road, approximately two and one-half miles south of Pomona.
See Horton. (--Place Names.)Ottomen
Found on an 1889 map in the northwest part of the county, but no information has been found. (--Place Names.)Park View
A small store, filling station and cabins, established in January, 1935, by William Farley of West Plains, who still owns it, (1937). It is on Highway 63, 3/4 mile north of West Plains, situated on a small hill overlooking People's Park. (--Place Names.)Payne Knob
One mile northeast of Siloam Springs, according to the Geological Survey made in 1929, it is 1200 feet above sea level, the highest point in Howell County. P. S. Payne, a former merchant at Siloam Springs, bought the land in 1894. A government tower is on the hill. (--Place Names.)Peace Valley
It is located at Section 32, Township 25 N, Range 10 W, on Highway T, south of Highway 14.
A village and post-office, in Sisson Township, two and one-half miles south of the stream of this name. The post-office was first at what is now White Church, established about 1874, and kept by a Mr. Laye in his store, who gave the name for William and Elgin Peace, early families of the community. C. Henry Dryer then bought the store and took the office. After a few years, he moved the office to his land at the present location and laid out the town which he named for the post-office. (--Place Names.)Pearl City
It is located at Sections 17, 18, Township 25 N, Range 7 W, on Highways N & W.
See Leota. (--Place Names.)
A large saw and planing mill one-half mile south of Siloam Springs, operated for a few years during the 1890's and early 1900's by two brothers, Myron and Orlando Pease, who were also land owners. (--Place Names.)Pinch Misery
An old logging camp about six miles west of Willow Springs, where the South Missouri Land and Lumber Company, operated in the 1880's and 1890's. The women of the camp gave the name because their only way of getting to town was by the narrow gauge railroad where they were so crowded and nicely uncomfortable. (--Place Names.)Pleasant Dell
A post-office named for Pleasant Dell farm, (q.v.). (--Place Names.)Pleasant Dell Farm
James and David Estes, brothers, owned a good farm about 7 miles south of Willow Springs and gave it this complimentary name. Peter Kemp of the community kept a post-office of the name in his home for only a short time about 1878. His place now belongs to the Powell heirs. (1937). (--Place Names.)Pomona
A small town in Dry Creek Township, on Highway 63 and the Frisco R. R. The land had been homesteaded by William White who sold it to William Pitts who started a large fruit farm. H. D. Mackey owned a 400 acre farm of apples, peaches, pears and berries; others owned large orchards near. Through the influence of the railroad company, and William Pitts, the town was laid out between 1894 and 1896. Jacob Kreybill, originally from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, suggested the name for Pomona, the goddess of fruits, because it was situated in a good fruit section. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 2 & 3, Township 25 N, Range 9 W, on Highways 63 & N.
See Mountain View and Campbell Town. (--Place Names.)Pottersville
A village and post-office near the center of Spring Creek Township. Earlier it was a village of considerable size, but now (1937) there are only two stores and a few dwelling houses. Josiah Carrico and Joel M. Potter came to the vicinity long before the Civil War. Joseph Carrico, son of Josiah, was the first postmaster and named it for the elderly man, Joel M. Potter who had several descendants and owned 160 acres of land near by, now the Norman Webster place. (--Place Names.)Punkin Center
It was located at Section 2, Township 23 N, Range 10 W, on Highway K, east of junction of W & KK.
It was a post-office, 12 miles southwest of West Plains. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)
A country store, filling station, and several grist mills on Highway 14, in Siloam Springs Township, established in 1925 by Levi Collins and R. Jesse Byers. A group at the place were joking when some one mentioned "Uncle Josh of Punkin Center", a comic phonograph record, to which Mr. Collins answered, "Well, 'Punkin Center' is all right," so the name 'stuck'. (--Place Names.)Rainey
The store still is in existence. (--E. J. Shelton.)
A post-office kept for a short time during the late 1870's or early 1880's by Ira N. Rainey, M. D., who lived north of Moody. The office was discontinued and Moody, (q.v.) was established. Not found in Postal Guide or on map. (--Place Names.)Rose
A post-office, in existence only a short time, 3 miles east of Moody on the State Line Road. Mrs. Jennie Reed, from Denver, Colorado, who kept the office in her home, suggested the name for her daughter Rose. (--Place Names.)
Ross Alley Mill
An early settler named Ross Alley built a grist mill on Bennett Bayou, near Bly, immediately following the Civil War. It was owned by various persons. Under the ownership of Daniel Killian, it was washed away in 1878, and never rebuilt. (--Place Names.)Rowe Spring
A large spring about 9 miles east of Willow Springs, the town on Highway 60. Only very recently has it acquired the name of Rowe for George Rowe, a Union soldier who lived there for many years. The place was homesteaded in 1875. It soon passed to George Rowe, by purchase from the Hood family, but it still retained the name Willow Springs for the fine one large and some smaller springs there with many willow trees growing near. See Willow Springs. (--Place Names.)Saratoga Park
See Saratoga Springs. (--Place Names.)Saratoga Springs
Two good springs near the Big Indian Creek, 3 miles northwest of Willow Springs. Some hunters who came into that vicinity remarked that the water tasted like that of Saratoga Springs of New York. In 1887, F. F. Teeter laid out a few lots for a town and attempted to make a health resort, giving this name. In 1926, Harve Littrel, Ford Pyatt, Barton Messler, of Springfield, Missouri, and others started a pleasure resort by putting in cabins, a swimming pool, a club house, and a dance pavilion where much of the native stone was used. They gave the name Saratoga Park. Now, (1937), not much is there. The famous New York watering place has become a stock American Place name, being adopted by at least a dozen localities in as many different states. (--Place Names.)Shinkle
A post-office, established about 1907 at the present location of Grimmett, (q.v.), and named for Harvey M. Shinkle, who with Charles Duckett, kept a store and grist mill there. It was the post-office name for the Grimmett neighborhood for about 8 years. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 1, Township 24 N, Range 10 W, at the intersection of two unmarked county roads, south of Highway B, east of Willow Springs.
A village and post-office beautifully situated in the Ozark hills in southwest Siloam Springs Township. It reached a population of about 600 persons during the timber days of the 1880's and 1890's, and for many years it has been noted as a health resort. It is said that originally there were ten or twelve springs; now there are three good springs, all claimed to have various medicinal properties. It is related that as early as 1817 Elijah Fenton, living at the old French trading-post near Ste. Genevieve, Mo., having heard of the springs through Indian traders, took his invalid wife there where her health was restored. Another report is that of Dr. I. A. Norman of Illinois who came and regained his health at the springs in 1859. In 1913, Dr. E. E. Eckles, a physician of Howell County, explained that these springs are classed as Chalybeate and derive their virtues from the ferrous and manganese bicarbonated in conjunction with earthy salts and ferrous sulphate. The Bible (see John 9:1-26) was suggested by Mrs. Woodworth, Jonathan Brown's daughter (see Brown Springs) as the name for the springs and post-office. (--Place Names.)Skunk Town
It is located at Section 32, Township 25 N, Range 10 W, on Highway T, south of 14.
An old timber camp of the South Missouri Land and Lumber Company, 6 miles southwest of Willow Springs on Noblett Creek. It is a habitat of these animals, but the name was probably conferred in a spirit of mockery. (--Place Names.)South Fork
The post-office and later name for Cross Roads, (q.v.), a very early name for the community. It is located on the head waters of West Fork of South Fork of Spring River, from which it took its name. William Black, father of James Black (see Amy), who had a store 2 miles west of the road crossing was the first postmaster. The log cabin store was still standing in 1937. Now owned by Thomas Divine. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Sections 28 & 33, Township 23 N, Range 9 W, on Highway 160, northeast of Hocomo.
Joseph Spears had a water grist mill on Spring Creek, about 7 miles west of Potterville before the Civil War. He lived in Illinois during the war. (--Place Names.)Sterling
A railroad station on the Frisco in the north part of Willow Springs Township. When the railroad was under construction, the railroad officials gave the name of the camp there for John Sterling, who had come from Illinois, entered land there, and built a cabin. A post-office was soon established and the place became a saw mill village during the timber days. (--Place Names.)Stony Lonesome
It was located at Section 2, Township 27 N, Range 10 W, on Highway 60, north of the junction with 63.
A timber camp during the 1880's, 14 miles southwest of Willow Springs. The country was rough and rocky, and it was an immense pinery. The women were so very lonely and homesick there. (--Place Names.)Stuart
See Lacrone. (--Place Names.)Talcott
A man of this name from Illinois kept the post-office for a short time in his home, east of Willow Springs. (--Place Names.)Taylor's Store
See Homeland. (--Place Names.)
The headquarters (Fruitville post-office) of the Torrey ranches and farms, chiefly in Myatt Township. Col. Jay L. Torrey of the Spanish-American War came to West Plains in 1904 or 1905 and traded his Nebraska ranch for 20,000 acres of the Crane ranch, where he soon got the post-office established. His half-brother, R. A. Toerry, a veteran of the Federal Army and a captain in the Spanish-American War, came in 1907. Capt. Torrey had organized Roosevelt's Rough Riders. The brothers put various kinds of fruits, chiefly apples and peaches, and had herds of cattle, goats, horses, and some other domestic animals on their farms. The farms were known as Fruitville Farms, for the post-office. Torrey's Place or Fruitville became a great gathering place. One informant explained that "they didn't care much for money and spent lots for 'blow-outs'." Walter Williams, then dean of the School of Journalism of Missouri University, was more than once a visitor at Torrey's Place, and Col. Torrey gave large donations to the Journalism School.Town Spring
As the Captain died first, Col. Torrey, his only heir, later willed the whole of his estate to his wife, Mrs. J. L. Torrey, formerly Mrs. Fannie Reilly, widow of Dr. Reilly, and his secretary, W. B. Hodge. The lands and farms have been sold to various persons. Mrs. Torrey was married to Col. Torrey for only a few weeks prior to his death. Mrs. Hodge is still living. (--Place Names; E. J. Shelton.)
The old spring of West Plains of the early days, marking the first settlement, that made by a Mr. Adams who came during the summer of 1839 and, in the early 1840's sold his improvement to Josiah Howell. West Plains post-office was, at one time over the old spring. West Plains has a new post-office, built in 1867.The old post-office is now the West Plains Public Library. (--Place Names; E. J. Shelton.)Trask
A station and one store now (1937), formerly a little village and post-office, on the Current River Branch of the Frisco Railroad, in Hutton Valley Township. Lee Bolin bought three acres of land, laid out the town in 1888 or 1889, and got the office established. It was discontinued in 1935. A family of this name, old settlers living near, had charge of the first office. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Sections 26 & 27, Township 27 N, Range 8 W, on Highway V, south of 60.
A small store and filling station, built in 1931 by David Meredith on his farm, at the junction of Highway 80 (now 160), and Buffalo Shoals Road, (now JJ). The name originated from the triangular plot, the site of the building, made by the Highway Department in constructing the road. Mr. Meredith sold this farm in 1935 and built Burr Oaks (q.v.) about 1 mile east of Highway 80 (160). (--Place Names; E. J. Shelton.)Undine
A post-office kept for a time by John A. Mackey in his home three miles southeast of Pomona during the 1870's and early 1880's, on the old freight and mail route from Rolla, Mo. The name is mythological, like "Pomona". "Undine" was a very popular story by the German novelist Baron de la Motte Fouque, published in German in 1911, and translated into many languages. Undine was a water-sprite who was endowed with a soul by her marriage with a mortal. (--Place Names.)Vaughn Mill
See Williams Mill. (--Place Names.)Vaughn Springs
They were in southwest Benton Township on land belonging to Sherwood Vaughn; formerly homesteaded by a Mr. Lee. Since the water was said to have medicinal properties, an attempt was made to develop a health resort. Some advertising was done and a few cabins were built, in 1878, but it never proved worthwhile. (--Place Names.)West Lake
A post-office in 1867, but very little information has been found. Mr. McDaniel explains that there was a large lake of that name seven miles west of West Plains and doubtless named for its position. Others say that there were lakes in the vicinity of Homeland (q.v.). Mrs. Wadley mentions West Lake Valley southwest of Pomona, but no one knows of the post-office. Doubtless the post-office and valley took the name of the lake. (--Place Names.)
The county seat, is situated near the center of the county in Howell Valley. It contains 8 stores, 1 hotel, 1 printing office, 4 churches--Baptist, Presbyterian, M. E. Church South, and M. E. Church; 2 schools--1 private, 1 public; 1 steam flouring mill, a very good jail and a miserable court-house. The buildings are all new. Population is about 300. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)White Church
(Mr. Shelton adds: "Quite different to the present time!")
West Plains the county seat of Howell County, located on Highway 63 and the Frisco R. R. In 1849 or 1850, the town was surveyed and named by John R. Woodside because in was in a westerly direction from Thomasville of Oregon County, the nearest town, and because its site was in the rolling grassy plains where very little timber grew. In 1850, it was the only post-office within the present limits of the county, and was kept by Josephus Howell in his home. The town with its records was burned during the Civil War, but it has grown rapidly since the War. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 27, 28, 29 & 30, 17, 18, Township 24 N, Range 8 W, on Highways 63, K, 14, BB, & 160.
A village, post-office, and community in the west-central part of Sisson Township. It is known by this name because of the churches established there. The Cumberland Presbyterians finished their church here in 1864; one informant said it was begun before the Civil War. The St. Louis Board furnished the money and the leaders of the community did the work; so that it was possible to have a better house than was usually built at the time; because the house was plastered and painted it was known as White Church. As the members died or moved away, the organization was disbanded, and the house was sold to the Methodist M. E. Church about 1880. Eventually this body too dwindled and the house was sold in 1931 to James M. Ferguson who tore it down and made it into his dwelling house nearby. White Church stood about 125 yards southeast of the present Catholic Church. The Catholics, too, had erected a small white church, recently replaced by the new cobblestone house, St. Joseph's Church. Some time after Peace Valleypo was moved to the present location, White Church post-office, named for the church, was established by J. M. Robinson in his store, informants say earlier than 1901. During the late 1890's the Catholics of the community established the Parochial School in the village. It was a two-story building, plastered and painted white, with class-rooms, dormitory, and dining-room. For a few years it was successful, having local and boarding students. The activities of the church were retarded as members moved, and for a time no services were held, but in 1930 a priest came, and plans are made (1937) to repair the old school for use. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Sections 11 & 12, Township 26 N, Range 8 W, on Highway 17, south of N.
(Mr. Shelton says that there is no post-office or school there.)
A pioneer grist mill in southeast Benton Township, on Bennett's River, operated by a family of this name long before the Civil War. In 1867, Sherwood Vaughn, born in Tennessee, pioneer of Benton Township, a war refugee in Maries County, Missouri, returned to Howell County and bought the old mill which he operated until 1878 when it was washed away. (--Place Names.)Williams Service Station
It is on Highway 63, 5 miles north of West Plains, where some cabins have been built and Skelly gas, lunches, and soft drinks are sold. Built by Talley Hughes of West Plains in 1934. Now (1937) owned and operated by James R. Williams. (--Place Names.)Williams Store
"It is closed now." (--E. J. Shelton.)
Near the present site of Shady Grove School, William Williams from Tennessee kept a little store in his home, soon after the Civil War. He later moved to West Plains and put in a store. (--Place Names.)Willow Springs
A town on Highways 60 and63 at the junction of the Frisco and Current River R. R. It was named for the post-office first established at what is now Rowe Spring, (q.v.) 9 miles east of the town site. On March 29, 1869, the office was moved from the springs to the Ben Carter store, (q.v.) and James W. Harris was made postmaster. (--Place Names; E. J. Shelton.)Womack's Store
It is a post-office 23 miles north, northwest of West Plains. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)
It is located at the junction of Highways 60, 63, 137, & DD.
See Needmore. (--Place Names.)Wooden Station
A store and filling station 1 mile southwest of West Plains on Highway 80. It was established in 1930, by Reece Wooden, who still (1937) operates the place. (--Place Names.)
"Not existing now." (--E. J. Shelton.)
One of the old grist mills, set up on Moody Creek as early as 1872, perhaps earlier, by William Wright. Only 3/4 mile northwest of Moody, (q.v.), it has not been used for twenty years or more. (--Place Names.)Yankee Doodle
A post-office, 18 miles southwest of West Plains. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 257.)
An early post-office kept by E. Jefferson Friend (see Big Spring School) in his home near Bly, to which place the post-office was moved during the 1880's. He was born of Tennessee pioneers in Ozark County. The name chosen is that of the old Revolutionary War song. (--Place Names.)
Springfield-Greene County Library